Author Topic: How cold is too cold to wear shorts?  (Read 21989 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
How cold is too cold to wear shorts?
« on: October 26, 2013, 09:57:07 AM »
Had this conversation recently with some friends, and my thought is, as long as it isn't really windy or cold, I can still wear shorts outside.  It has been around 45-50 lately here in St. Louis, and if I am making a quick run somewhere, I have no problem rocking a pair of Adidas shorts and my Blues or Broncos hoodie.  :coolio

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: How cold is too cold to wear shorts?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 10:08:36 AM »
I'm with you.  Shorts and a hoody is the way to go.  I had to come into the office to do some stuff today, and that's what I'm rockin'. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 10:11:39 AM »
Yep.  Where I live (Phoenix, Arizona), it never really gets too cold for me to wear shorts.  Although some people I know think I'm crazy for it. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline j

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 10:12:56 AM »
You can basically wear 'em year-round here in Texas if you want.  I'd say low 40s it starts to get a little chilly, but it probably won't hit that temp here until December.

However, you should really reconsider the Broncos hoodie. :biggrin:

-J

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »
Its totally acceptable so long as there not bicycle shorts.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 10:42:02 AM »
I don't wear shorts if it's less than 60, but you say you go on runs a lot, so that's perfectly understandable.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 11:04:25 AM »
Shorts are lame except when exercising and at the beach. Blue jeans FTW
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 11:17:50 AM »
You can basically wear 'em year-round here in Texas if you want.  I'd say low 40s it starts to get a little chilly, but it probably won't hit that temp here until December.

However, you should really reconsider the Broncos hoodie. :biggrin:

-J
Yeah, pretty much. It also depends on what you're doing. If I'm walking somewhere, I'll I'm burning calories,I'll where shorts well into the 30's. If I'm just going to be standing around I'll dress for arctic conditions.

Also, one of my favorite things is walking out of a concert into bracing cold. I'll always where shorts/short sleeves to a concert.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 11:29:19 AM »
I don't touch my jeans from May till early October! Shorts all the way bay bay!!!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 11:45:16 AM »
I wear shorts year round here in Florida and I'll wear them until the temperature hits the 40's.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 11:58:27 AM »

People who aren't as pasty white as you do not necessarily agree.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 12:11:25 PM »
I'm always the guy who's wearing cargo shorts, a t-shirt with a hoodie and flip-flops in the dead middle of winter. Doesn't matter how cold it is. Keeps me feeling all tingly like. A fuck, I do not give. People are all, "dude how are you not freezing" and I say "WHAT IF I LIKE IT WHEN MY PENIS RETRACTS BACK INSIDE ME, HUH!?". I like being just cold enough to where I'm not shivering, but I've got goosebumps. Course if it's ridiculously cold I'll put on some shoes. But never will I wear long pants unless it's for work or if I'm in an actual apocalyptic ice-age. Even then...eh. I got'sa show dees legs off.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 12:39:39 PM »

People who aren't as pasty white as you do not necessarily agree.
Point taken. :lol
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 12:41:43 PM »
So it's 50 degrees where I live and we just came back from VT where it was 28 degrees where we came from and Snow.  I was dresses up.  I'm a wuss now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 12:42:09 PM »
I'm pasty white AND hairy. BOOM! I REVEL IN YOUR DISGUST, PRETTY PEOPLES!  :azn: :metal :police:

:millahhhh

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 01:10:33 PM »
So it's 50 degrees where I live and we just came back from VT where it was 28 degrees where we came from and Snow.  I was dresses up.  I'm a wuss now.
Freakin pussy.

:angel:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 01:16:56 PM »
Yup. :lol

The older I get the less I can hold heat.  What's wrong with me?!

Don't Answer that Chad
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 02:19:38 PM »
I wear light blue-jeans year round. I only wear shorts if it's incredibly hot.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 02:33:59 PM »
I wear dark gray jeans year round. I only wear shorts if it's incredibly hot.
FTFM

Offline dparrott

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 03:03:32 PM »
I used to wear shorts a lot when I was younger, but now I have a really low tolerance for cold.  I'd say 75 is my lowest.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 03:13:15 PM »
I went to college in a snowy cold area, so I am accustomed to shorts even when it is cold.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
I don't know, maybe like 5 degrees C. Maybe even a little lower after being accustomed a bit.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 04:21:45 PM »
My least favourite weather is when it's too cold to go without a jacket but still too humid to wear one.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 08:08:57 AM »
i wear shorts until the twins get a bit of frostbite..than i know its time for sweats
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2013, 08:58:37 AM »
In Denver, I see people in them year-round. Not as much at night, but even when it's pretty cold out during the day the sun makes it feel a lot warmer and I see people walking around in all kinds of shit you wouldn't normally wear in winter.
Personally I rarely wear them, but just the other night it was in the forties and I stood outside in some pretty short shorts for a while.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 09:00:58 AM »
I own one pair of shorts and they never get worn.  I'm always freakin' cold for some reason.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 09:03:52 AM »
I never wear shorts, even in the summer.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 09:20:12 AM »
I went to a fall festival on long island yesterday and i felt like everyone wearing shorts were crazy -- especially the ones wearing shorts AND a t-shirt.  I found myself silently observing them to see if they felt like they made a wise choice going out in those clothes, or if they were trying to hide their shivering.  If you were directly in the sunlight, the shorts felt ok.  But every time you're out of the sun, it was cold as a mutha.  Shorts stop at Oct. 1, in my opinion. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 09:45:12 AM »
In Denver, I see people in them year-round. Not as much at night, but even when it's pretty cold out during the day the sun makes it feel a lot warmer and I see people walking around in all kinds of shit you wouldn't normally wear in winter.
I think this is true in most winter'y places. If you're not going to be outside too long shorts aren't much of a problem. You see it especially when there's been a rise in temperature. If it's -10F one day and jumps to 5F the next it'll feel pretty nice out. Just gotta be careful about your skin and limit the time you're out.

The other thing is when winter people are mixed in with summer people. At both the Wisconsin and Ontario universities I attended occasionally people used to winter would break out shorts just to 'harass' the silly people from the south that bundle up beyond belief.

Offline jsem

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 10:19:12 AM »
I wear shorts from like early May to early September. This goes for Stockholm/Uppsala in Sweden though. Temperature threshold is somewhere around 17-18 degrees Celsius.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
I think this is true in most winter'y places. If you're not going to be outside too long shorts aren't much of a problem. You see it especially when there's been a rise in temperature. If it's -10F one day and jumps to 5F the next it'll feel pretty nice out. Just gotta be careful about your skin and limit the time you're out.

The other thing is when winter people are mixed in with summer people. At both the Wisconsin and Ontario universities I attended occasionally people used to winter would break out shorts just to 'harass' the silly people from the south that bundle up beyond belief.

I see what you're saying, though Denver is not actually a wintery place at all. We don't get much snow and the climate is way better than NJ (where I came from).
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 06:29:44 PM »

Never.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 06:38:02 PM »
I never wear shorts if I can help it.  I will put on a pair if it's really hot out, but generally I don't spend enough time outside to warrant wearing them anyway. 
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 04:54:26 AM »
No such thing as too cold for shorts.  But I live in suny Brisbane Australia and where shorts all year round.  Our winters are piss weak.  :coolio
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2013, 11:19:34 AM »
I wear shorts from like early May to early September. This goes for Stockholm/Uppsala in Sweden though. Temperature threshold is somewhere around 17-18 degrees Celsius.

Same here in Tampere Finland. There is really only about 4 months when you can comfortably wear shorts. I go with black jeans most of the year. Also its funny how much warmer Stockholm is in January. I visited Stockholm last January and it was much warmer compared to Tampere, despite not being so far away.