Author Topic: Buddyhunter1's Roulette of Fun and Tears (But Mostly Fun) - The End!  (Read 26824 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette of Fun and Tears (But Mostly Fun) - ROUND 2, FIGHT!
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2013, 01:27:51 PM »
Ahem....

THE SCORE SO FAR

-Nekov: 8.5
-jingle.boy: 7.0

When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2013, 01:38:25 PM »
The 'dawg is just eager to see how many fewer points he's gonna get this round.

You're in for quite the surprise!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2013, 02:04:12 PM »
Ahem....

THE SCORE SO FAR

-Nekov: 8.5
-jingle.boy: 7.0

Right... cuz no one has ever come from behind in any competition, ever.   :yarr
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette of Fun and Tears (But Mostly Fun) - ROUND 3, FIGHT!
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2013, 12:17:34 PM »
ROUND 2 RESULTS

jingle.boy: Flaming Row - Rage Of Despair

This song definitely reminded me of Ayreon with its multiple vocalists (both male and female) and rock-opera lyrics. While I'm not much of an Ayreon fan, this song was pretty cool. It's very good musically, with some great riffs and melodies. My favorite parts were probably the heaviest sections; those riffs mixed with the harsh vocalist were right up my alley. The Dream Theater-esque solo section towards the end was also pretty nice. I don't really know what I think about the female vocals; while there's nothing wrong with them per se, they kinda detract from the overall heaviness and add a bit of that dramatic, rock opera vibe that I'm not a huge fan of. Lyrically, it's a lot less cheesier than something like Ayreon, but since it's a part of a concept album it's a bit hard to judge on its own. Overall this was a pretty good song, but nothing mind-blowing.

Score: 8.0

elefantStone: Nevermore - My Acid Words

This song was interesting in that it's a pretty standard melodic death metal song, but with no harsh vocals. That's something you don't see much of these days. The music is definitely heavy enough; there's plenty of good riffs and head-bangable rhythms. Also, that section before the guitar solo is fucking brutal as hell. :metal Going back to the vocals, while the clean vocals add some nice melodies, especially in the choruses and the calm section before the previously mentioned brutal part, I think some harsh vocals would have been welcome. The verses are practically begging for them, and they would have made the clean melodies stick out more. Regardless, this song was still pretty badass.

senecadawg2: Gallowbraid - Stone Of Remembrance

Ah, the winner of the first round returns! Was this song as good as Architect Of Fortune? Sort answer.......... yes. Not only is this song fantastic, I decided to check out the rest of the EP, and now I'm a fan of a band that has only released a single EP. That's the first time that's ever happened. Obviously, this band sounds a ton like Agalloch, but that's not a bad thing at all. They share a lot of the same qualities; the tasteful black metal elements, the haunting atmosphere, the beautiful acoustic guitars and folk influences... It's all there. If there's one complaint I can come up with for this song it's that it kinda made me realize how similar-sounding most of the bands of this genre sound. :lol As for this song in particular, there's not a bad section, and it just gets better and better as the song goes on. The section after the acoustic break, that kickass guitar solo, the final chorus and that amazing outro... This is just a fantastic track. You're on a roll man, but don't get too cocky. There's still plenty of rounds left for you to potentially screw up. ;)

Score: 9.0

Lucien: Zero Hour - The Falcon's Cry

...And on the other end of the spectrum, there's this song. *Sigh...* I hoped that it would grow on me a bit, but the whole composition of this song just... baffles me. The best way for me to talk about it is just to go through the song section-by-section. The first two and a half minutes just sound awkward. To me, it just sounds like a bunch of wankery with no real drive, feel, or even energy. There's proggy and experimental, and then there's just sounding like a complete mess. Also, the vocalist continuously screaming SOMETHING'S GONNA DIIIIIIIIIIIIIE in an annoying wail that doesn't fit the music at all doesn't help much. Then, the song suddenly breaks into a calm section with no real transition whatsoever. At first I thought that it was just a brief, calm chorus, but no. This section goes on for nearly FOUR FREAKING MINUTES with little to no variety at all. I swear that guitarist is just playing the same chord over and over and over again. This section isn't exactly bad, it's just boring as hell. At the six-minute mark, the song finally breaks into what I assume is supposed to be the climax. I say assume, because it's completely weak and underwhelming. Some keyboards or extra melodies would have given it a sense of a climactic feel, but as it is it sounds thin and powerless. And then it goes back to the calm section. And then the song thankfully ends. There's some fragments of a good song in here, but the composition is incredibly sloppy and the execution is awful. Better luck next round, dude.

Score: 6.0

?: Paradise Lost - The Enemy

This is a nice little metal song. It's got a nice tempo and some catchy vocals, and the guitar work is simplistic but quite effective. I especially like the chuggy riffs found in the prechoruses and the section before the guitar solo. There's nothing amazing about this song, but I like it. Simple write-up for a simple song. :lol

Nekov: Russian Circles - Geneva

Now this one was really interesting. I really love the mood of this song; the way the instruments blend together to create those unsettling, atmospheric textures is really great. The instrumentation is really cool; the guitars, the bass, and the drums are all doing something interesting and creative. Experimental stuff like this is right up my alley. I'm not sure I would like a whole album full of this stuff (all-instrumental bands aren't really my thing), but this song was great. Keep it up!

Score: 8.5

LieLowTheWantedMan: Melvins - Honey Bucket

Yay, sludge metal! I really like the guitar in this song, it's got that low, gutteral, sludgy tone that I definitely dig. In particular, the main riff in the latter part of the song is really tasty. I definitely get a lot of Mastodon vibes from this song, which is good, because Mastodon is awesome. The vocalist is pretty good too, even though he's barely in the song. (If I didn't bother looking up the band members I would have sworn he was James Hetfield) Anyways, what's the big problem with this song? IT'S TOO DAMN SHORT. This could have been a great song if it branched out a bit more, but it just ends before it gets the chance to. Speaking of which, the ending just comes out of nowhere. Good short songs still have a clear beginning, middle, and end. This song has a beginning and middle, but no real end. There's no climax or signs that the song is over, it just... stops. That was pretty disappointing. This song was short, but it was still pretty sweet.

Score: 7.5

Elite: maudlin of the Well - They Aren't All Beautiful

This song is exactly what I was hoping for from this round: heavy as hell, but in an interesting and memorable way. This is an awesome song with a fantastic mix of brutal and bizarre. The first part of the song is pretty standard death metal, but things just get better and more interesting as the song goes on. That slow part in the middle is great, and then that crazy instrumental section shows up... The first time I heard that, I was sold. :lol It still manages to be heavy, but it's so wacky at the same time. Brilliant stuff. You guys need to send me more shit like this.

Score: 9.0

Lolzeez: Dir En Grey - Vinushka

This song is still sinking in, but I'm confident in saying it's one of the best submissions I got this round. It's got a great range of dynamics; there's plenty of beautiful quiet sections, and a lot of heavy stuff as well. What really makes this song great is its flow. It's a very slow buildup, gradually getting heavier and more intense until it explodes. Then it goes back to quiet and does it again. I really love songs that do that. The really heavy parts have so much buildup to them that when they do come, they're intense and satisfying as hell. [insert orgasm joke here] I can imagine seeing these guys live and everyone losing their shit once those sections come in. Great song, and I've heard lots of good things about this album. I should check it out sometime.

Scorpion: Protest The Hero - Sequoia Throne

I've definitely heard of these guys before. My few complains about this song are likely just traits of this style of music. There's not much song structure to speak of, and the transitions are usually pretty abrupt. There's also a fair share of guitar wankery, but that doesn't really bother me. That said, I do like this song. It's just got a great sense of energy and drive, and some of the sections are really enjoyable, even though they're usually over pretty quickly. I've got no problem with the vocalist, in fact I actually like him. He's got a lot of different styles and he fits the style of music well. That music video is also pretty fun to watch, even though that has nothing to do with the song itself. Pretty cool submission.

THE SCORE SO FAR

-senecadawg2: 18.0
-Nekov: 17.0
-Elite: 17.0
-elefantStone: 16.5
-Lolzeez: 16.5
-?: 16.0
-LieLowTheWantedMan: 15.5
-Scorpion: 15.5
-jingle.boy: 15.0
-Lucien: 14.5

Senecadawg2 is definitely in the lead, with Elite and Nekov not far behind. It's still anyone's game!

ROUND 3: ATMOSPHERICS & AMBIANCE

Based on the results so far, you guys should have noticed that I love atmospheric music. Songs that convey a very vivid mood and image. Some atmospheric songs are light, serene, and peaceful, while others are dark and evil. Regardless of what mood it conveys, you must send me something atmospheric and/or ambient (but not ENTIRELY ambient; it's gotta have some melody to it) Good luck!

Make sure senecadawg2 doesn't win again.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 11:00:58 AM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2013, 01:43:19 PM »
wooohooo! I sure hope I can keep this up.

I also want to point out that there were several brilliant submissions this round imho. Good call on Vinushka, Lolzeez, I actually thought about sending it myself  :lol The Maudlin of the Well and Flaming Row songs are also awesome.

I'll send by the end of the night

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2013, 02:10:26 PM »
Yeah, that round screwed me up, and I knew it would. However, I absolutely ADORE ambient music, so I'm not out yet :3

Also, you said darkness and light. Do we send two songs?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 02:41:48 PM by Lucien »
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2013, 02:39:52 PM »
Another 8/10... Maybe I'll hit the jackpot or screw up next :lol

I love atmospheric music, so I have a lot of stuff to choose from - I'll send tomorrow!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2013, 02:57:55 PM »
I'm fucked this round.  My definition of Atmospheric and others' seems to be a little off.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2013, 03:32:19 PM »
I'm fucked this round.  My definition of Atmospheric and others' seems to be a little off.

Try choosing something that doesn't seem atmospheric to you at all.
Then it might seem atmospheric to the rest of us.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2013, 04:29:32 PM »

Try choosing something that doesn't seem atmospheric to you at all.
Then it might seem atmospheric to the rest of us.

So, basically pull a 'Costanza' and do the opposite of every instinct I have?

Offline Lucien

« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2013, 04:32:40 PM »
Or just find a song that puts a lot of images in your head, aka an atmospheric song. Singular artists of the genre are generally pretty obscure, so you have to dig a bit. Think the ambient section in IT, but more melodic.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2013, 04:44:06 PM »
Never mind... I gots it.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2013, 10:58:22 AM »
Also, you said darkness and light. Do we send two songs?

Nope. Just one.
I admit the theme for this round came off a bit confusing, you just need to send me an atmospheric song, regardless of what mood it conveys.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2013, 11:38:17 AM »
All right! I'll send something soon

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »
Sent!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2013, 01:46:12 PM »
Sent. I'll either get 0 points or turn you onto something new. We'll see what happens there. :biggrin:

Offline Lucien

« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2013, 03:00:50 PM »
Sent a while ago.  ;D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2013, 03:27:14 PM »
Will send shortly, glad you liked maudlin of the Well :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2013, 05:53:53 PM »
Aaaaand once again, I get two songs from one band in a single round. :lol

Newly banned:

-Haken
-Ulver

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2013, 05:55:59 PM »
I'm not surprised someone else sent Ulver. But mine was the better song.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2013, 05:56:42 PM »
maaaaaaaaaybe.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2013, 07:39:38 AM »
Sent

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2013, 01:45:13 PM »
Still need submissions from Lolzeez and Scorpion.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2013, 01:55:11 PM »
SENT!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2013, 08:55:13 PM »
Come on Scorp!  :P

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2013, 09:07:35 PM »
He sent one too, don't worry. :lol
This week's gonna be busy, I'll aim for results Friday night.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2013, 09:50:12 PM »
I look forward to stretching out my lead come Friday, (probably not though)  :laugh:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2013, 09:24:17 AM »
Results soon?  :D

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2013, 10:21:49 AM »
I'm working on it.

There's gonna be a lot of people tied for 2nd place after this round...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2013, 11:06:09 AM »
But still a clear leader  ;D

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2013, 12:03:56 PM »
Dammit!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette of Fun and Tears (But Mostly Fun) - ROUND 4, FIGHT!
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2013, 08:39:28 PM »
Sorry for the delay...

ROUND 3 RESULTS

Lucien: Paul Winter - Canyon Chaconne

If I were judging these songs solely on how atmospheric they are, this one would rank pretty high. It's incredibly peaceful and serene; the soft synths in the background and the quiet nature ambiance really add a lot. The sax is obviously the main instrument here, and it's done quite well. The player keeps it nice and simple, which works best. Overall, this is a very nice song, but it's a bit too minimalistic for my tastes.

jingle.boy: Genesis - Watcher Of The Skies

You said this round wasn't going to end well for you, and well, that's not ENTIRELY true. Things didn't exactly get off to a good start when you sent me Welcome To The Machine by Pink Floyd, a band already on my banned artists list.  :lol While this song isn't anywhere near as atmospheric as Welcome To The Machine (or as good for that matter) it's not bad. I really like the mellotron intro and outro, but the rest of the song kinda just sounds like most other 70s prog rock, which I just haven't really been able to get into. The song also isn't that atmospheric, but I'm not going to take off points for stuff like that this round. Too bad that Pink Floyd song was disqualified; if this were my first time hearing it you probably would have won this round. :lol

Score: 7.5

elefantStone: Ulver - The Future Sound Of Music

I've heard lots of good things about this band and this album specifically, and this song definitely left a great impression. Some advice for future submissions: I love electronic music if it's done well. This song is a great example of that; it's very experimental, and the electronic sounds and effects create a great mood. The second half of this song where things get really loud is fantastic, and the first half is pretty great too. If this is the future sound of music, I'm certainly not complaining.

?: Kevin Moore - Shine

This song's kinda pushing it since I'm quite familiar with a lot of Kevin Moore's work, but what the hell, I probably would have never heard this song if you didn't send me it. This song has a very vivid and beautiful "watery" atmosphere. Kevin Moore is fantastic at picking just the right effects and sounds to convey a specific atmosphere, and he's also great at writing beautiful piano melodies, as this song shows. The female vocalist is a nice surprise; she fits the sound of the music very well and adds an extra layer of serenity to the piece. This is easily your best submission so far, so keep it up!

senecadawg2: Ulver - Eos

Seems like Ulver is the go-to atmospheric band around these parts. I should really check out one of their full albums sometime soon. Anyways, out of the two songs by this band I got this round, it's hard to say which one I like more, since they're so different from each other. However, this one is easily more atmospheric and beautiful. That's the best way to describe this song; simply put, the atmosphere is absolutely beautiful. The synths, strings, and that high-pitched instrument (whatever the hell it is) are all used to a great effect, and the soft vocals add a nice touch. This is probably the most atmospheric song I got this round. Anyways dude, you need to stop scoring so high. Seriously, it's not fair for everyone else. :P

LieLowTheWantedMan: Bohren & Der Club Of Gore - Midnight Black Earth

Seems like you were either expecting me to either love or hate this song, but it's more like somewhere in-between. I was a bit skeptical at first when you described it as jazz, but this is definitely unlike most other jazz I've ever heard before. I'm definitely a fan of that haunting, dark, "middle of the night" atmosphere, and this song pulls that mood off very well. The instruments all work very well, especially that quiet, moody organ. This song falls into the same category as Lucien's submission in that I like it, but it's just a bit too minimalistic. With great atmospheric music, I can listen to it and enjoy it regardless of what mood I'm in. For this song, I have to be in the right mood to really enjoy it, especially due to the fact that it's very long and repetitive. It seems more like something I'd put on in the background instead of devoting my full attention to it. That said, it's incredibly atmospheric and I definitely appreciate the style they were going for.

Elite: Wolves In The Throne Room - Dia Artio

This one was pretty good. It definitely has an interesting mix of noisy and peaceful; it always sounds like there's a lot going on, but the song remains pretty simplistic at the same time. There's a lot of subtle melodies hidden in the background, and they definitely add a lot when they're noticeable. While the song picks up a bit in the second half and changes up slightly, it's still pretty repetitive. It starts to sound a bit drone-y after a while, though that may be due to the muddy production. It's a pretty good song, but not the best one I got this round.

Nekov: Ayreon - Comatose

I think I've heard this song once or twice in the past when I was checking out songs from this album (I never ended up listening to the whole thing). That said, I wasn't familiar enough with it for it to be disqualified. As previously stated, I'm not a huge fan of what I've heard from Ayreon, but this song was pretty good. It's definitely got a cool electronic atmosphere and uses a lot of nice, spacey effects and instruments. The vocal melodies are also nice, especially in the chorus. I also really like the short instrumental section after the second chorus. There's nothing about this song I can really complain about, but it's nothing amazing either.

Lolzeez: Cult Of Luna - Finland

I knew I would get some form of post-rock this round. :lol This song has a nice mood to it; it ranges from peaceful, to melancholic, to angry. The whole song is essentially a ten-minute buildup, and while it is a good buildup, the song is a bit on the repetitive side. I think it would have been better if it was just a little bit shorter, and while the song gets pretty heavy towards the end, I feel like there's not much of a payoff to all that buildup. But hey, it's about the journey not the destination, right? This is a good song, but I think it could have been a bit better.

Scorpion: Ihsahn - On The Shores

It probably would have made more sense for you to use this song last round, but hey, who gives a shit. :lol This is yet another album I've heard a lot of good things about, and this was a pretty great song. The slow, heavy bits have a big, climactic feel to them, which makes sense since this is apparently the album closer. The calm sections add some nice contrast, and if it weren't for them, this song probably would have been disqualified from this round. :lol The three-minute long finale/sax solo is also pretty awesome. Speaking of sax, I knew beforehand that this album used it a lot, so I wasn't surprised to see it here. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it; I feel like it can get a bit wanky at times. But when it's just playing a simple melody like in the intro, it works really well. This definitely wasn't the most atmospheric song I got this round, but it was one of the best overall.

THE SCORE SO FAR

-senecadawg2: 26.5
-Nekov: 25.0
-Elite: 25.0
-elefantStone: 25.0
-Lolzeez: 24.5
-?: 24.5
-Scorpion: 24
-LieLowTheWantedMan: 23.5
-jingle.boy: 22.5
-Lucien: 22.5

Not much change in the rankings this round. Nekov, Elite, and elefantStone are in a 3-way tie for 2nd place, and senecadawg2 remains at first place with a 1.5 point lead.

ROUND 4: RIFFS, RIFFS EVERYWHERE

I love awesome guitar riffs. They make for some of the greatest bits in music, period. For this round, you can send me any song, as long as it has a ton of kickass riffs. (Or a couple kickass riffs that repeat a lot, whatever) The more rhythm guitar the better! Bring on the chuggachug!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2013, 08:46:29 PM »
I just realized I got three different songs last round with saxophone.
Never thought that would happen. :lol

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2013, 09:06:11 PM »
Cool. :)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2013, 09:31:43 PM »
Fun, I'm happy with that.

I'm somewhat flummoxed by the next round theme. I'll see what I can get you by tomorrow.