Author Topic: Buddyhunter1's Roulette of Fun and Tears (But Mostly Fun) - The End!  (Read 26977 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette of Fun and Tears (But Mostly Fun) - FINAL ROUND!
« Reply #210 on: December 09, 2013, 11:08:15 PM »
Woohoo, I'm getting closer to the top! :biggrin: I can see the rules for this final round have been slightly influenced by mine :P I'll send something :soon:

E: sent!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 09:18:42 AM by ? »

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #211 on: December 09, 2013, 11:09:51 PM »
I don't care the points I get for this round, but it will be fun to see how much he hates/loves the song I sent him
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #212 on: December 10, 2013, 09:04:47 AM »
Sent! I think you'll enjoy
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #213 on: December 10, 2013, 09:12:28 AM »
I'm sent too.  And thankfully, guaranteed not to be in last place!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #214 on: December 10, 2013, 10:53:47 AM »
Five submissions in and three bands have been added to the "newly banned" list. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Lucien

« Reply #215 on: December 10, 2013, 05:27:19 PM »
Aha.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #216 on: December 10, 2013, 07:02:27 PM »
Really? Who else sent Deafheaven?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: December 12, 2013, 01:23:29 PM »
For the first time in a roulette I'm really having a really hard time deciding what to send  :-\. Sorry for the delay guys
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #218 on: December 12, 2013, 01:29:18 PM »
For the first time in a roulette I'm really having a really hard time deciding what to send  :-\. Sorry for the delay guys

I've only gotten five submissions so far so you're not the only one.
No pressure, it's only a submission worth twice the usual amount of points and will ultimately determine your position in the final results!  :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #219 on: December 12, 2013, 02:26:14 PM »
I understand Nekov, you don't want to lose your chance for second place  ;)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: December 12, 2013, 03:31:11 PM »
Sent. Let's see what happens...

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #221 on: December 15, 2013, 11:44:53 AM »
Still need submissions from LieLow and Elite.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: December 15, 2013, 01:38:41 PM »
Come on Scor.... oh wait, no  :P

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #223 on: December 16, 2013, 01:22:28 AM »
Still need submissions from LieLow and Elite.

No, you don't.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: December 16, 2013, 04:06:57 PM »
Are we there yet?

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #225 on: December 16, 2013, 04:50:01 PM »
Everyone's sent something (except Scorpion)
I'll let you guys know when the final results are almost ready.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #226 on: December 16, 2013, 10:48:07 PM »
:caffeine:

Having made it so far, in the lead, I sure hope I didn't blow it in this last round.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: December 19, 2013, 05:30:23 AM »
:bump:

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #228 on: December 20, 2013, 01:33:42 PM »
Sorry for the delay, the write-ups for the final round should be up tomorrow!

Since the final results are going to be pretty extensive, I'm going to split them up. What that means is: tomorrow, I'll be posting the write-ups for all the songs for the final round, but I won't reveal the exact scores. The day after, I'll reveal the scores and show the final rankings for all the participants, and that'll be it! Stay tuned!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: December 20, 2013, 01:44:04 PM »
That's just being mean. We're supposed to wait ONE day after we see the write ups to find out the results? You're crazy dude...

:neverusethis:

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #230 on: December 20, 2013, 01:45:02 PM »
Maybe 0.75 days if you're lucky.  :hat

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: December 20, 2013, 02:14:05 PM »
That's just being mean. We're supposed to wait ONE day after we see the write ups to find out the results? You're crazy dude...

Then you're definitely not gonna like how I reveal my Round 1 resultz!   :biggrin:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lucien

« Reply #232 on: December 21, 2013, 08:40:46 AM »
Back.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #233 on: December 21, 2013, 08:44:38 AM »
:caffeine:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette of Fun and Tears - FINAL RESULTS, PART 1
« Reply #234 on: December 21, 2013, 01:32:39 PM »
Alright folks, time for the first half of the final results! As said before, today I will post the write-ups for the submissions for the final round, but I will not be revealing the exact scores. The FINAL final results will be posted tomorrow. Now, with that said...

FINAL ROUND RESULTS

Lucien: Rush - Natural Science

I don't really know why you thought this was a risky/reckless move; I like Rush. I've never heard this song before, and I'd say it was pretty good. It's definitely got some memorable riffs and melodies. The main guitar arpeggio that plays during the "wheels within wheels" parts is really cool, and the main riff of the second movement is pretty kickass. What I definitely like most about this song is the frantic tempo and the fast-paced energy, which is especially noticeable in the verses of the second movement. Sadly, the song kinda loses me as soon as the tempo slows down at around the five minute mark. From that point on, there weren't any memorable sections or melodies, except for the very end, which was well-done. If I were to compare this song to your other Rush submission, Jacob's Ladder, I would say that while this song has higher highs, Jacob's Ladder is more consistent and just a tad bit better overall. This was still a good song though, and a fitting final submission from you.

jingle.boy: Gowan - A Criminal Mind

You should be glad I've heard Won't Get Fooled Again, because this song is a lot better, in my opinion. :lol In fact, aside from the Iron Maiden song, this is the best song you've sent me this roulette. There are a few things that make this song so good, the first of which are the melodies. They are all very strong, and the vocalist's delivery is great. The choruses and verses are all fantastic, and the piano/synth leads work well. Speaking of which, the instrumentation is VERY 80's-sounding, especially with those electronic drums and synth sounds. However, I think they actually fit the atmosphere of the song perfectly, to the point where the song might not have been as good without them. The whole thing has a great melancholy mood, which I like, and the song changes and adds new elements at a good pace to keep it interesting and engaging throughout the seven minutes. This was a surprisingly great submission; looks like your love for old-school music finally paid off in this roulette. :tup

senecadawg2: Deafheaven - The Pecan Tree

My first impressions of this song weren't that great, but I can say now that this a pretty fantastic song overall. Well, after the first part of the song, anyway. I'll be honest, I don't really like the first four minutes much. It's the type of black metal that's determined to totally obscure all the melody behind a wall of blast beats, screams, and noise, which just doesn't appeal to me at all. Thankfully, things get a lot better once the break comes in. The calm middle part is quite beautiful, especially when that piano melody enters. One thing I can say about the whole song is that it's definitely somber and emotional throughout, which is great. It's very bleak, but in a beautiful way. Anyways, I like how the calm section subtly builds up as it goes on, then bursts into that grand finale. The last few minutes of the song is definitely what gives the track its purpose. It's an absolutely fantastic finale; it's bombastic, it's emotional, it's what elevates the song to another level. So yeah, this is a song that ranges from okay to outstanding, getting better and better as it goes on. So, when averaged out, it's not the best thing you've sent me this roulette, but it's certainly up there.

?: Paradise Lost - The Glorious End

Well, that's one fitting song title, if I do say so myself. :lol This song just screams "closer", it's incredibly climactic and dramatic, and it's got a really nice slow, doomy tempo that's accompanied by some great melodies and riffs. While the first half of the song is great, the second half is where things really pick up. The break in the middle works really well, and the awesome finale afterwards what really sells the song. That doom riff combined with that vocal melody is just a killer combination. There's not much else to say… this was a glorious end indeed.

Lolzeez: Deafheaven - Dream House

Oh boy, another round where I got two songs from the same album. :lol Anyways, remember how I said that I didn't really like the first four minutes of The Pecan Tree? It just sounded like a bunch of noise to me, with all the melody buried under the constant blast beats and screams. Yeah, this is basically a whole song of that. I get that this sound is completely intentional, but again, it just doesn't appeal to me as music. Thankfully, the song does pick up a little bit after the short break in the middle. I actually really like the very end, when that lead noise guitar melody comes in. I wouldn't call this a bad song, but I didn't like it that much, either. While I thought The Pecan Tree was pretty great overall, if this is one of the better songs on the album, I don't really see myself checking out the rest of it any time soon.

Nekov: Pendragon - A Man Could Die Out Here

This was a nice song; nothing amazing, but nice. It's got a very noticeable ethereal atmosphere, and the guitars and keyboards are used in just the right way to convey said atmosphere. I also like the main bass grove, even though it's very simple. The song's got a very good flow that feels like it takes you on a journey… While there are some vocals, I think the song would have worked just as well as an instrumental. While this isn't one of the best songs you've sent me, it's still pretty good.

elefantStone: The Tallest Man On Earth - Kids On The Run

I admire your decision to avoid sending a 16-minute prog epic (though nobody this round sent anything over eleven minutes…) and send me something more simple, but this song is just a bit too minimalistic for my tastes. I also find the vocalist's voice to be a bit grating. Still, it is a pretty song, and I can tell that it's filled with some genuine emotion. If you're into the whole singer/songwriter type of music, I suppose that's that really matters. It's just not really my thing.

LieLowTheWantedMan: Kvelertak - Utrydd Dei Svake

This is pretty much all I could ask for from a kickass metal song. It's got awesome energy and a good balance between being heavy and being melodic. I suppose Mastodon would be an obvious comparison, but they don't sound all that similar. This song is filled with some really kickass riffs, especially the one after the first chorus, and that whole outro/extended guitar solo is really cool. It's an awesome way to end the song, and fits the theme of the round well. Congratulations, this is easily your best submission this roulette. :)

Elite: Spock's Beard - The Doorway

What better way to end the roulette than with a good old prog rock album closer? The piano intro is nice, and I really like the way the full band comes in. The song is filled with some great melodies; I especially like how several motifs and melodies that are initially played in the piano intro are repeated in the rest of the song with different instruments. Flow-wise, while I feel like the song meanders a bit sometimes, it never gets the point where it gets boring, and the length feels about right. It all wraps up nicely in the end, too. The final chorus is very powerful, and just when it sounds like the song has ended, the finale that comes afterwards is just awesome. This is definitely a great closer, and a really good song too.

Alright! Are you filled with suspense yet? The final results will be up tomorrow. This round ended up shifting a lot of positions due to the double scores, so the final rankings might be a bit surprising. How do you think you did? Find out tomorrow!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: December 21, 2013, 01:53:55 PM »
Glad you liked The Glorious End! I actually agree with everything you said about the song :D The second half is really epic indeed.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #236 on: December 21, 2013, 01:58:30 PM »
I should probably listen to Paradise Lost.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: December 21, 2013, 02:11:42 PM »
I should probably listen to Paradise Lost.
Yes, you should! :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: December 21, 2013, 03:42:45 PM »
Happy you liked Criminal Mind, but there is something very, VERY wrong to suggest it is even a smidgen better than Won't Get Fooled Again.   :lol

Offline Lucien

« Reply #239 on: December 21, 2013, 03:45:45 PM »
So... I guess I did pretty well  :lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #240 on: December 21, 2013, 05:03:41 PM »
Happy you liked Criminal Mind, but there is something very, VERY wrong to suggest it is even a smidgen better than Won't Get Fooled Again.   :lol

Hey, just because it's famous classic rock doesn't mean it's exempt from the basic rules of different musical tastes. :P

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #241 on: December 21, 2013, 08:44:23 PM »
Elite and ? Have me really nervous now. Hopefully I was able to cling on.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #242 on: December 21, 2013, 09:45:10 PM »
:D I heavily recommend checking out the album then! Full of that awesome energy, great fun to listen to.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: December 21, 2013, 10:39:34 PM »

Hey, just because it's famous classic rock doesn't mean it's exempt from the basic rules of different musical tastes. :P

true enough.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: December 22, 2013, 07:33:51 AM »
Well, looks like I'm not winning this one  :'(