Author Topic: Buddyhunter1's Roulette of Fun and Tears (But Mostly Fun) - The End!  (Read 26763 times)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette of Fun and Tears (But Mostly Fun) - ROUND 5, FIGHT!
« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2013, 09:49:04 AM »
Sent.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2013, 06:06:18 AM »
How are we doing here?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2013, 09:34:18 AM »
Still need one from Scorpion.
Always the last one to submit. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2013, 06:10:28 PM »
Before anyone asks, results on Saturday. :)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: November 22, 2013, 05:05:20 AM »
 :tup

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2013, 01:52:45 PM »
I'm actually going to spoil the theme for Round 6 because I want your guys opinion on something...
It's going to be a co-op round, where you will team up with one other person and submit a song together, and each get the same amount of points.

Should I let you guys pick your partners or should I pair you up based on score? (i.e person in first place gets paired with person in last place, 2nd first with 2nd last, etc.) With the former it might be unfair if two of the highest-scoring people pair up, but with the latter it just might come down to the higher-scoring person picking the song all the time, so I don't know. Thoughts?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2013, 02:22:26 PM »
I'm actually going to spoil the theme for Round 6 because I want your guys opinion on something...
It's going to be a co-op round, where you will team up with one other person and submit a song together, and each get the same amount of points.

Should I let you guys pick your partners or should I pair you up based on score? (i.e person in first place gets paired with person in last place, 2nd first with 2nd last, etc.) With the former it might be unfair if two of the highest-scoring people pair up, but with the latter it just might come down to the higher-scoring person picking the song all the time, so I don't know. Thoughts?

2 people submit one song?  If so, I don't like the theme.  I'm like Tony Stark, I don't play well with others.

JK... whatever you want to do.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #147 on: November 22, 2013, 02:29:47 PM »
I'd like to be able to decide who to pair up with, because otherwise you might be forced to team up with someone whose tastes are totally different from yours, making it hard to pick a song. But it's your game - do whatever floats your boat.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2013, 02:53:51 PM »
Sounds fun.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2013, 04:07:01 PM »
I'm with Jingle.man. I'd rather not pair up at all. But it's up to you...
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2013, 06:12:59 PM »
Do whatever you want, although I'm not a good team player.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette of Fun and Tears (But Mostly Fun) - ROUND 6, FIGHT!
« Reply #151 on: November 23, 2013, 12:31:18 PM »
ROUND 5 RESULTS

senecadawg2: Clint Mansell - The Last Man

Sending me a song from a film soundtrack was an interesting idea, and while I can't say I've heard of The Fountain before, this song was nice. It's very melancholy and haunting, with some beautiful piano and string melodies. I would have liked a bit more piano actually, as it only shows up at the beginning and the end. The majority of the song is a pure string section, and while it contains some great melodies that lay over the chord progression, it does get a bit repetitive. It's still very pretty, though. Also, I like that little creepy bit at the very end. Very interesting choice; I like it, and it fits the theme quite well.

Score: 8.0

Lucien: Abyssmal Sorrow - Cavernous Sorrow And Worthlessness

Oh boy. With a band name and song title like that, how could you possibly go wrong? :lol Well, the song definitely starts off very well. The clean guitar melody at the beginning is fantastic; it's incredibly sad and beautiful, and when it gets reprised again towards the end it works very well. The rest of the song is slow, doomy black metal. While I like slow doomy metal and the song definitely has a cold and depressing atmosphere, it suffers from the problem that a lot of black metal has: it sounds like absolute shit. You can just barely make out the melodies from the dense, muddy production, and the vocals don't even sound like vocals at all, though that's probably the point… If this song didn't sound so terrible and had a bit more clean guitar (like I said, that clean guitar melody is amazing), I probably would have liked it a lot more. But hey, you could have done worse.

Score: 7.5

?: Sentenced - End Of The Road

I just knew you were going to send me some form of melancholic Scandinavian metal for this round. :lol This song definitely delivers in that department. The first song has a good contrast between the heavy guitar riffs and the soft verses, and while it's not incredibly depressing, it's certainly melancholy. It kinda reminds me of Type O Negative (have you ever checked those guys out? I feel like they'd be right up your alley). The second half of the song is really cool. It's a lot more energetic while still retaining a somber mood, and the guitar work is really nice, both in terms of the riffs and the soloing. Pretty solid song.

Score: 8.5

elefantStone: Radiohead - Videotape

This is an incredibly beautiful song. The atmosphere and mood it conveys is really emotional. It's incredibly sad, but kinda "light" and uplifting at the same time, which is a combination that's really hard to pull off, but works extremely well. It reminds me a lot of Collapse The Light Into Earth by Porcupine Tree, another sad but bright song that's extremely beautiful. The main piano melody is great, and the way the vocals follow it works really well. While it's a bit repetitive, the added instrumentation at parts and the overall atmosphere keep this from becoming an issue. There's really not much else to say; this is just a beautiful, emotional song that really pulls at your heart strings. Good job.

Lolzeez: Olafur Arnarlds - Ljosio

This is probably the most simple song I got this round. Like senecadawg's submission, it's entirely piano and strings. The piano drives the song, and the melodies are very pretty. The violins fit in perfectly, and really add a lot. The atmosphere is very peaceful; it's not that sad, but it's not that happy either. It sits nicely in the middle. Again, there's not much else to say. This song is simple but very pretty, and that's good enough for this round.

jingle.boy: Queen - Who Wants To Live Forever

I've obviously heard some Queen songs before, but I haven't heard this one before, which is unfortunate, because it's pretty damn great. You said this song can be uplifting, not just sad. That's definitely correct. The song starts out sad, but gets more uplifting and bright as the song goes on. The string section is used incredibly well in all parts of the song, and Freddie's vocals are obviously fantastic. The way the song transitions from the melancholy first half into the bright, powerful second half is really awesome, and the full band kicks in at just the right time. Also, that chorus is great, especially the final one. Great flow, great song. See? You actually can earn high points from sending me old-school songs! You just have to send the right ones. ;)

Nekov: dredg - Cartoon Showroom

This is an interesting song. While it's relatively simple, it's very unique-sounding. The main guitar melody is what sticks out to me the most. It's incredibly beautiful, and it has an interesting rhythm to it. It's also used in the verses, which are also really great. The vocal melodies are really nice, and I like the second half of the verses when the vocalist goes up higher and that additional guitar line comes in. The song is filled with some nice atmospheric touches and some interesting instrument choices. I don't think the song is all that depressing, but that okay. It's a very pretty song, and I can't say I've heard very many songs like it.

Elite: Gov't Mule - Forevermore

Another simplistic, sad song. It's very emotional and on a very basic level; there's no crypticness or uncertainty, it's just a sad song about a sad topic. I can definitely appreciate that. The verses are bleak and somber, and the choruses are actually kinda catchy. There's not really anything to complain about, but at the same time there's nothing that really grabs me in particular. It's a good song, but I've definitely heard better.

LieLowTheWantedMan: The Antlers - Kettering

Well, this song certainly is depressing. There's nothing bright or hopeful about it, it's 100% cold, bleak, and lifeless. It's some really somber, dreary stuff; you definitely followed the theme well. While the atmosphere and mood of the song is wonderfully depressing, the song itself leaves a bit to be desired. The first half of the song is basically just a single piano loop with some sad but kinda weird-sounding vocals over them, and it gets a bit boring. Things pick up a bit for the second half when the full band comes in, but this section doesn't last for very long. The flow of the song is a bit strange; I've got a feeling that this is a song that works better within the context of the album as opposed to a singular track. But hey, kudos for sending me some of the most depressing stuff this round.

Scorpion: Pain Of Salvation - Never Learn To Fly

Sadly, this one didn't appeal to me that much. While the vocals are nice and I guess the song is kinda calm and soothing, I just found it to be a pretty dull and boring-sounding ballad. I don't find it to be particularly sad or beautiful, which is a pretty big problem for a ballad. Most of the song is just piano and vocals, which gets boring pretty quickly. Things start to pick up when the drums kick in, but then they just go away almost as soon as they come in. What was the point of that? Eh. I've heard lots of good things about this band, but this song didn't do anything for me. But hey, I'm sure they've got plenty of better songs, so feel free to send another one for another round.

Score: 7.0

THE SCORE SO FAR

-senecadawg2: 43
-Nekov: 42
-elefantStone: 41.5
-Elite: 41.5
-?: 41
-Scorpion: 40
-Lolzeez: 39.5
-LieLowTheWantedMan: 39.5
-jingle.boy: 38.5
-Lucien: 38.5

ROUND 6: CO-OP ROUND

For this round, you must pair up with another participant and form a group of two. There will be five groups, and each one must send me a single song. Both members of the group will receive the same score for their submission, and there will only be five songs this round. It's up to you two to decide what to send me; it can be anything. Heavy, sad, atmospheric, proggy, whatever. You can choose your own groups. If there's nobody in particular you want to be with, I'll assign you someone if I need to. Once you've decided on what song your group will be submitting, one person in the group needs to PM me the song, it doesn't matter which one.

IMPORTANT: You must also give me a team name. It doesn't matter what it is, but you must have one.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: November 23, 2013, 01:04:41 PM »
Glad you like it. As I said in my message, the song is a bit depressing but manages to be beautiful too  :smiley:

Elite, wanna team up with me?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #153 on: November 23, 2013, 02:34:43 PM »
elfantStone, would you be interested in teaming up with me?

Mainly because I don't know who you are, and you are doing well so far in the roulette  :lol

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: November 23, 2013, 02:39:28 PM »
I have heard a couple of Type O songs and I've actually thought about listening to one of their albums. Maybe I should've sent you the newest Paradise Lost song instead of The Enemy in the heavy round, because a lot of people have said it sounds like TON.

I have a team mate already :angel: We'll send something awesome :biggrin:

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #155 on: November 23, 2013, 03:13:27 PM »
I have heard a couple of Type O songs and I've actually thought about listening to one of their albums. Maybe I should've sent you the newest Paradise Lost song instead of The Enemy in the heavy round, because a lot of people have said it sounds like TON.

If I was in your roulette I totally would have sent you this song.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #156 on: November 23, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »
Elite, wanna team up with me?

Sure, I'll team up with you.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: November 24, 2013, 12:14:38 AM »
If I was in your roulette I totally would have sent you this song.
Yeah, I've heard Everything Dies - The Man-Eating Tree covered it on the limited edition of their second album.

Offline elefantStone

« Reply #158 on: November 24, 2013, 10:32:02 AM »
elfantStone, would you be interested in teaming up with me?

Mainly because I don't know who you are, and you are doing well so far in the roulette  :lol
Yeah, sure.

Well I don't know who you are either, and you are doing even better than me :P

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »
Sent.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: November 24, 2013, 09:43:21 PM »
It does work better in album context , heh. I usually love it anyway, but glad you at least liked it a little. :)

So who wants to team up?

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #161 on: November 24, 2013, 09:47:02 PM »
I'll team with you, LieLow. I'm in severe need of points.

Basically let's just send each other a bunch of songs and find the ones we both like the most, then narrow it down.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2013, 10:09:23 PM »
Alright, sounds good. :)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2013, 11:33:03 PM »
So we've got Nekov and Elite, senecadawg and elefantStone, ? and Lolzeez, and LieLow and Lucien.

Looks like jingle.boy and Scorpion are together... That'll be interesting. :lol

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #164 on: November 25, 2013, 01:32:49 AM »
For this round, you can send me any song, as long as it has a ton of kickass riffs. (Or a couple kickass riffs that repeat a lot, whatever) The more rhythm guitar the better! Bring on the chuggachug!
Sent some jazz.

That was very funny  :rollin
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: November 25, 2013, 07:33:55 AM »
For this round, you can send me any song, as long as it has a ton of kickass riffs. (Or a couple kickass riffs that repeat a lot, whatever) The more rhythm guitar the better! Bring on the chuggachug!
Sent some jazz.

That was very funny  :rollin
:lol

Look at me! I'm so different!  :hat

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: November 25, 2013, 10:34:41 AM »
So we've got Nekov and Elite, senecadawg and elefantStone, ? and Lolzeez, and LieLow and Lucien.

Looks like jingle.boy and Scorpion are together... That'll be interesting. :lol

I PM'd Tom.  He hasn't been on in a couple of days though.  If he hasn't responded by the time everyone else is in, I have a submission in mind that I know he'd be cool with.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #167 on: November 25, 2013, 10:36:02 AM »
I PM'd Tom.  He hasn't been on in a couple of days though.  If he hasn't responded by the time everyone else is in, I have a submission in mind that I know he'd be cool with.

Cool. Only one group has submitted something so far, so you've got plenty of time.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: November 26, 2013, 02:50:16 PM »
Sent

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #169 on: November 26, 2013, 03:13:03 PM »
That makes it two.
Squ

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #170 on: November 27, 2013, 12:27:43 PM »
I believe elefantStones has sent for us!

First 10/10 song so far, I think.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: November 27, 2013, 12:54:20 PM »
Scrop hasn't been on in 4 days, so I'm gonna send on our behalf.  If this song is accepted, I know for damn sure he would approve.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #172 on: November 27, 2013, 04:11:30 PM »
I believe elefantStones has sent for us!

First 10/10 song so far, I think.

Unless one of you send me a song that would be a contender for my top five songs of all time, I don't think anyone's going to get a 10/10. :lol A 9.5 is definitely a possibility, but the song has to be really, really good.

Scrop hasn't been on in 4 days, so I'm gonna send on our behalf.  If this song is accepted, I know for damn sure he would approve.

Yeeeeeah, about that... :-\ I sent you a PM.
I'm just going to add Iron Maiden to the newly-banned list so you guys stop sending me that song. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2013, 05:15:37 PM »
I'm just going to add Iron Maiden to the newly-banned list so you guys stop sending me that song. :lol

Responded to your PM before reading this.  Let me know ...

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #174 on: November 27, 2013, 05:33:29 PM »

Responded to your PM before reading this.  Let me know ...

It's all good, I'll allow the new song you sent. :)