Author Topic: Ruba's Top 50 albums! v. Finished!  (Read 11376 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Ruba's Top 50 albums! v. BEND OVAAHHHHH!
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2013, 02:53:56 AM »
You can't go wrong with Permanent waves. And that Queensryche album is pretty good as well. I agree that My global mind sounds out of place, but it's still a cool track.

Offline Ruba

Re: Ruba's Top 50 albums! v. The computer word made flesh
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2013, 11:02:35 AM »
Queensr˙che - Rage for Order (1986)

1) Walk in the Shadows
2) I Dream in Infrared
3) The Whisper
4) Gonna Get Close to You
5) The Killing Words
6) Surgical Strike
7) Neue Regel
8) Chemical Youth (We Are Rebellion)
9) London
10) Screaming in Digital
11) I Will Remember

Queensr˙che's second album is quite different when compared to their debut, The Warning. Sure, there are still great guitarwork and Geoff Tate's tenor, but keyboards took more prominent role. And this is not an easy album. At first I hated it. This is probably their proggiest album, even though the songs are not lengthy.

The Whisper has one of the best main riffs ever. I Dream in Infrared and The Killing Words are fantastic ballads. Screaming in Digital, Tate's duet with himself, kicks ass and has one of my favourite guitar solos ever. But believe it or not, Gonna Get Close to You is among my favourites. A great cover song, it doesn't sound like QR at all, but is just damn fun.

Favourite tracks: I Dream in Infrared, The Whisper, Gonna Get Close to You, The Killing Words, Screaming in Digital

Where'd I place it?: 41-50

------------------------------------------------

PMMP - Rakkaudesta (2012) (Of Love)

1) 4ever young
2) Korkeasaari
3) Heliumpallo (Helium Balloon)
4) Koko show (The Whole Show)
5) Jeesus ei tule oletko valmis (Jesus is Not Coming, Are You Ready?)
6) Rakkalleeni (To My Beloved)
7) Tytöt (Girls)
8) Pahvinaamari (A Carton Mask)
9) Kevään valo (Spring's Light)
10) Toivo (Hope)

Rakkaudesta is PMMP's fifth and last studio album, also the most recent album on my list. Stylistically the album is their most calm record, punk and rock influences are absent, and the album is based on pop. Key things are still the same, Jori Sjöroos's catchy and melodic songs, Paula Vesala and Mira Luoti's beautiful voices and great lyrics. The album is also their only album that has rapping, on Tytöt.

The album is probably their most mature work. The lyrics are often serious, with the exception of Koko show, which advises to take life the way it is, all the good and the bad things. Jeesus ei tule oletko valmis and Rakkalleeni are two of their best songs. The first got some attention with its title and I think one of their gigs were cancelled, because the owner of the venue is very conservative Christian (he also permitted Alice Cooper to perform there... moron). However, the song criticizes today's consumer culture and addiction to entertainment. I love its main piano melody. Rakkaalleni resembles eighties synth pop, but behind its bounciness is a heartbreaking sadness, I believe it is about codependency. The lead single Heliumpallo is another fairly electronic song, but much more moody. There is an interesting, Ulver-esque take on it on their Matkalaulu-album, which has their older songs re-recorded.

So there is less brawl and more mellowness, Kevään valo has some distorted vocals, but it's not very punky. The album could have used some more variety and that is the reason why Leskiäidin tyttäret is their best album.

Favourite tracks: Korkeasaari, Heliumpallo, Jeesus ei tule oletko valmis, Rakkaalleni, Pahvinaamari

Where'd I place it?: 31-40

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2013, 08:32:22 PM »
Two amazing QR releases.  The Whisper is one of the coolest songs ever, I can listen to that one over and over again on loop.

Not even the foggiest idea what Rakkaudesta is.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2013, 06:56:25 AM »
Rage for Order  :tup

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2013, 07:04:35 AM »
I'm a bit late to the party. Some great stuff so far, especially DT, Rush, Dickinson (though Skunkworks isn't a fave), Queen. And I love QR (but not Tateryche).
I think Rage For Order was top 5 for me. PL is a bit hit and miss but the last great QR album before the new one. I can't stand Disconnected though.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2013, 04:41:55 AM »

A Finnish pop album. I highly doubt it would be popular here.

I think Rage For Order was top 5 for me.  PL is a bit hit and miss but the last great QR album before the new one.

Yeah, I remember (now).

I haven't heard the new one yet. Since Tate is out, it might be good, but then again, there is no Chris DeGarmo. Although Michael Wilton has written some of their best songs.

Offline Ruba

Re: Ruba's Top 50 albums! v. I'm not Finnished yet!
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2013, 03:11:09 AM »
Eppu Normaali - Rupisia riimejä, karmeita tarinoita (1984) (Scabby Rhymes, Horrifying Stories)

1) Taivaassa perseet tervataan (Asses Are Tarred in Heaven)
2) Tähdenlennon tiellä (On the Path of Shooting Star)
3) Peto minussa (The Beast in Me)
4) Ei säästä perheen koiraakaan (Doesn't Save Anyone, Not Even the Family's Dog)
5) On viatonta ja kainoa harrastukseni ainoa (My Only Hobby Is Innocent and Timid)
6) Nyt reppu jupiset riimisi rupiset (Now Grumble Your Scabby Rhymes, My Backpack)
7) Hyi meitä (Naughty Us)
8) Pimeyden tango (The Tango of Darkness)
9) Viides toukokuuta (The Fifth of May)
10) Savuna ilmaan (Into Thin Air)

Coming up with translations for the titles was fucking difficult. :lol

Eppu Normaali is a legendary Finnish rock band. They were among the first punk bands in Finland, but their music swiftly turned towards more traditional rock, influenced i.e. by CCR and The Beatles. During the early 1980s, the band was looking for their style, trying at first to add more keyboards and then ditched them completely. The audience was no longer interested about them and another album with disappointing sales would probably mean end for them. But this is the album where they found their sound, pretty stratghtforward rock music, recognizable for amazing guitar duo of Pantse Syrjä and Juha Torvinen, eccentric voice of Martti Syrjä and humorous lyrics. Their style would still evolve a little towards AOR and the humour went little by little to the background.

The album has one huge single, Nyt reppu jupiset riimisi rupiset, which pretty much every Finn has heard, and even though it is ridiculously overplayed on the radio and isn't among their best songs, I like it anyway and that song pretty much saved them career. Taivaassa perseet tervataan (another controversial title) starts with piano, then moving to their typical guitar rock, it has great lyrics about censorship, surveillance and seizing the day, the punishment (tarred ass) comes later or doesn't come at all. Tähdenlennon tiellä is one of the few serious songs, whereas On viatonta ja kainoa harrastukseni ainoa is a very funny uptempo rocker about masturbation. Pimeyden tango is an amazing song, featuring a couple of accordion solos. Tango is very popular in Finland, although the song isn't of that genre. The band has never gained remarkable success abroad, but they are a part of Finnish culture. Maybe they're just too Finnish. Also, you should understand the lyrics to get the full experience.

Favourite tracks: Taivaassa perseet tervataan, Tähdenlennon tiellä, Peto minussa, On viatonta ja kainoa harrastukseni ainoa, Pimeyden tango, Viides toukokuuta

Where'd I place it?: 26-35

--------------------------------------------------

Now another Finnish album, which actually could be liked here:

CMX - Talvikuningas (2007) (The Winter King)

1) Talvikunings (The Winter King)
I) Kaikkivaltias (The Almighty)
II) Resurssikysymys (A Matter of Resources)
III) Pretoriaanikyborgit (Praetorian Cyborgs)
IV) Vallan haamut (Ghosts of Power)
V) Tähtilaivan kapteeni (Captain of the Starship)
VI) Kosmologisen vakion laulu (Song of the Cosmological Constant)
VII) Parvatin tietäjä (The Sage of Parvati)
VIII) Punainen komentaja (The Red Commander)
IX) Langennut valo (Fallen Light)
X) Quanta
XI) Rusalka
XII) Kaikkivaltiaan peili (The Mirror of the Almighty)

CMX is a Finnish rock band, led by vocalist-bassist A.W. Yrjänä. This album has one 62-minute song, divided into twelve sections. I saw a video made for "song" Punainen komentaja and became interested. And I was pleasantly surprised with this album.

The album is genre-wise progressive metal, but stylistically goes through many genres, from quiet balladry to sudden bursts into thrash metal. The music is quite technical, but never goes into pointless wankery. A.W. Yrjänä has a gorgeous low voice. Lyrics tell a story about tyrannous Winter King and his fall, I couldn't keep up at some points because the copy I had from library ( :lol) didn't have lyrics. The only song is very consistent, and even though some sections are naturally a bit weaker than others, but contrary to SDOIT, there's nothing skippable. Check this out if you want to.

The favourite track: Talvikuningas

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Ruba's Top 50 albums! v. I'm not Finnished yet!
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2013, 01:55:26 PM »
I've been forcefed a lot of Eppu Normaali since my parents are fans of them :lol I don't hate them, just not my cup of tea.

For some reason CMX have always seemed like a pretentious band to me, and I don't like Yrjänä's voice, but I should throw my prejudices away and try Talvikuningas :D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2013, 03:03:40 PM »

A Finnish pop album. I highly doubt it would be popular here.

I think Rage For Order was top 5 for me.  PL is a bit hit and miss but the last great QR album before the new one.

Yeah, I remember (now).

I haven't heard the new one yet. Since Tate is out, it might be good, but then again, there is no Chris DeGarmo. Although Michael Wilton has written some of their best songs.

Exactly. Most of my favourite QR songs are Wilton's. He can write a riff and a solo.

Offline Ruba

Re: Ruba's Top 50 albums! v. Nothing can stop me now
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2013, 02:49:36 AM »
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (1994)

1) Mr. Self Destruct
2) Piggy
3) Heresy
4) March of the Pigs
5) Closer
6) Ruiner
7) The Becoming
8) I Do Not Want This
9) Big Man With a Gun
10) A Warm Place
11) Eraser
12) Reptile
13) The Downward Spiral
14) Hurt

I like it when artists try something new instead of constantly staying on their comfort zone. Trent Reznor's first album Pretty Hate Machine was heavy 80s dance music, followed by furious industrial metal blast on Broken EP. The Downward Spiral is his second full-length album and was most ambitious to date. It is an concept album, about a man's downward spiral leading to suicide.

Hearing this album for the first time was an powerful experience. I felt anxious for a couple of days afterwards. All the emotion on the album, compared with the facts I listened to it in a dark room at night. It certainly is not an easy album, but it can be very purifying.

Musically the album is more on the metal side, but instead of raging all the time the album features a great range of dynamics. An example is the opening track Mr. Self Destruct, which frantic drum loop and distorted guitars suddenly cut off for an very quiet interlude. The album also has many different soundscapes and experimenting with white noise. This is the most creative NIN record with The Fragile.

March of the Pigs is somewhat similar to Wish (on Broken EP), but the other record sounds very little of Trent's earlier material. Even though NIN's roots are on dance music, Closer goes deeper into that territory than any other of their songs. Eerie A Warm Place was ahead of its time, it would suit The Fragile well. Ruiner has a stunning guitar solo. And my favourite track is The Becoming, which features a lengthy crescendo which leads to a beautiful acoustic section, then returns to heaviness, climaxes and ends with acoustic chords.

Favourite tracks: Piggy, Heresy, Closer, The Becoming, A Warm Place, Eraser, Reptile, The Downward Spiral

Where'd I place it?: 1-5

----------------------------------------------

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile (1999)

Left:
1) Somewhat Damaged
2) The Day the World Went Away
3) The Frail
4) The Wretched
5) We're In This Together
6) The Fragile
7) Just Like You Imagined
8) Even Deeper
9) Pilgrimage
10) No, You Don't
11) La Mer
12) The Great Below

Right:
1) The Way Out Is Through
2) Into the Void
3) Where Is Everybody?
4) The Mark Has Been Made
5) Please
6) Starfuckers, Inc.
7) Complication
8) I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally
9) The Big Come Down
10) Underneath It All
11) Ripe (With Decay)

The Fragile is Nine Inch Nails' third full-length album. Stylistically it is calmer and more experimental than its predecessor. The album goes through lots of various moods and soundscapes. Contrary to The Downward Spiral, all of its songs aren't great as individuals, but they work well on album context. The album got more critical reviews than TDS, but might be more loved among fanbase.

The Day the World Went Away is the first single, and has no percussion at all. A music video for it was made, but it was never released. The second single was We're In This Together, but it was played live only a handful of times in 2007. Great marketing, Trent. :lol

Favourite tracks:
(Left) Somewhat Damaged, The Day the World Went Away, We're In This Together, The Fragile, La Mer, The Great Below
(Right) The Way Out Is Through, Please, Starfuckers, Inc, I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally, The Big Come Down, Ripe (With Decay)

Where'd I place it?: 6-15

Offline Ruba

Re: Ruba's Top 50 albums! v. And I just slowly fade away
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2013, 05:50:21 AM »
Ministry - The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste (1989)

1) Thieves
2) Burning Inside
3) Never Believe
4) Cannibal Song
5) Breathe
6) So What
7) Test
8) Faith Collapsing
9) Dream Song

The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste is Ministry's fourth full-length studio album and the first industrial metal one. The Land of Rape and Honey has a couple of heavy songs, but is mostly dance music. Here are many simple, yet aggressive guitar riffs and catchy beats.

The album feels like sort of a soundtrack for a nightmare. Dark and heavy, with the exceptions of Test (well, rap rock can be nightmarish to some :lol) and Dream Song, which is pretty quiet, but beautiful. This is the album where Al Jourgensen found his signature vocals, but I think he is overshadowed by guest vocalist Chris Connelly (Revolting Cocks), who sings on Never Believe and Cannibal Song and background vox on So What. His vocals on Cannibal Song are probably the creepiest I have ever heard, the whole song is rather scary and I love the use of saxophone in it. Thieves is a thrashy fan favourite and manic Burning Inside was the only single off the album. The best song here is So What, a simple and lengthy song, but it never becomes boring. It has excellent use of samples, great lyrics and many build-ups and releases. :zydar:

Favourite tracks: Thieves, Burning Inside, Cannibal Song, Breathe, So What, Dream Song

Where'd I place it?: 36-45

------------------------------------------------

Nine Inch Nails - The Slip (2008)

1) 999,999
2) 1,000,000
3) Letting You
4) Discipline
5) Echoplex
6) Head Down
7) Lights in the Sky
8) Corona Radiata
9) The Four of Us Are Dying
10) Demon Seed

Unlike The Downward Spiral and The Fragile, which took relatively long time to complete, this album was written and recorded in around two months. It was originally meant to be an EP, but maybe Trent just felt creative. And probably no one was expecting a full-length album, since he had published a two-disc instrumental album Ghosts I-IV earlier that year. The album was first released digitally on NIN website, for free.

The album can roughly be divided in two halves, which are not in chronological order: accessible, rocking songs and more experimental ones. If NIN albums are viewed as guitar- or electronics-based, this one is probably more on the guitar-side. The album is the shortest NIN studio album to date, only 43 minutes, which makes it easier to listen than some of his lengthier albums. But in contrast, it features the longest non-remixed NIN track, Corona Radiata, which is very ambient song, which gets louder little by little and ends abruptly. From the rock side my favourites are Discipline, which is probably their most danceable song since their debut Pretty Hate Machine, slowly building Echoplex, which is one of his most interesting compositions to me and Head Down. From the experimental songs my favourites aside Corona Radiata are minimal piano ballad Lights in the Sky and Demon Seed.

Favourite tracks: Discipline, Echoplex, Head Down, Corona Radiata, Demon Seed

Offline Mladen

Re: Ruba's Top 50 albums! v. And I just slowly fade away
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2013, 12:49:13 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of Nine inch nails in two updates. Never really cared about them...

Offline Ruba

Re: Ruba's Top 50 albums! v. Pushing up the bright bright sun
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2013, 03:12:11 AM »
The Young Gods - T.V. Sky (1992)

1) Our House
2) Gasoline Man
3) T.V. Sky
4) Skinflowers
5) Dame Chance
6) The Night Dance
7) She Rains
8) Summer Eyes

The Young Gods is an industrial rock band from Switzerland. On this album, the band consisted of vocalist Franz Teichler, keyboardist/sample operator Alain Monod and drummer Urs Hiestand. So there is no actual guitar or bass on the album, they're all sampled. The album features interesting sonic textures throughout and great vocals by Franz, his German accent is rather humorous, but that voice! Skinflowers was the first single off the album and it is, alongside Gasoline Man, probably the easiest song on the album. Goofy lyrics, but very catchy. She Rains is the most ambient song on the album. The album closes with 19-minute Summer Eyes, which is quite a journey.

Favourite tracks: Gasoline Man, Skinflowers, Dame Chance, She Rains, Summer Eyes

-----------------------------------------

Eppu Normaali - Valkoinen kupla (1986) (White Bubble)

1) En saa mielestä sinua (I Can't Get You out of My Mind)
2) Kaikki häipyy, on vain nyt (Everything Fades, There Is Only Now)
3) Pois meluun ja tuiskeeseen (Out to the Noise and Storm)
4) Kultaista sadetta (Golden Rain)
5) Kun jatsia kuunneltiin (When We Listened to Jazz)
6) Valkoinen kuple (White Bubble)
7) Joka päivä ja joka ikinen yö (Every Day and Night)
8) Mutta ihmeistä suurin (joka jäi näkemättä) (But the Greatest of Miracles (Which I Never Saw))
9) Eihän tämän nyt näin pitänyt olla (This Is Not the Way It Was Supposed to Be)
10) Paha taika (Bad Magic)

After finding their style on Rupisia riimejä, karmeita tarinoita, Eppu Normaali released in 1985 an album Kahdeksas ihme (The Eight Wonder), which featured multiple hit singles and made them one of the biggest names in Finnish rock music. The successor, Valkoinen kupla tweaked their style a little, being probably their most minimalistic and calm album. Lyrically the album is usually quite dark. The songs Pois meluun ja tuiskeeseen and Kultaista sadetta are good examples. En saa mielestä sinua and Joka päivä ja joka ikinen yö are radio hits, although I don't really care about the latter. But there is some band's trademark humour too. Mutta ihmeistä suurin (joka jäi näkemättä) deals with stereotypes through the eyes of a child, who goes to see the world and sees all kinds ow miracles and Eihän tämän nyt näin pitänyt olla makes fun of the usual break-up situation where mother keeps the children, by switching the roles.

Favourite tracks: Pois meluun ja tuiskeeseen, Kultaista sadetta, Kun jatsia kuunneltiin, Valkoinen kupla, Mutta ihmeistä suurin (joka jäi näkemättä), Eihän tämän nyt näin pitänyt olla

BONUS: The miracles mentioned on Mutta ihmeistä suurin:
- a flying cow arm-wrestling with an armless
- a hardworking workman
- a rapid waiter
- eating cheap on a train
- a nice police talking with a headless man
- insurance company compensates the damage
- an intellingent wrestler
- an honest politician

But what was the miracle that was never seen?

A sober actor.

Offline Ruba

Re: Ruba's Top 50 albums! v. Oh by the way, which one's Pink?
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2013, 08:42:05 AM »
Sorry for the lack of updates recently. To make that up, here's a quadruple update:

Anathema - Weather Systems (2012)

1) Untouchable, Part 1
2) Untouchable, Part 2
3) The Gathering of Clouds
4) Lightning Song
5) Sunlight
6) The Calm Before the Storm
7) The Beginning and the End
8) The Lost Child
9) Internal Landscapes

This is the album that replaced In the Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson on the list. So this is probably the number 50. This album is amazingly beautiful. It feels like a movie, without picture (like The Fragile by NIN). Vincent Cavanagh's and Lee Douglas' beautiful voices and Daniel Cavanagh's technical acoustic guitar playing are characteristic to the album. Also, ex-Animal Alpha-guitarist Christer André Cederberg has produced the album and plays bass and piano on it.

Some Anathema fans seem to passionately hate this album. This is the only Anathema album I've heard so far, so I can't comment on their earlier material. But this album is amazing.

Favourite tracks: Untouchable, Part 1, Lightning Song, Sunlight, The Calm Before the Storm, The Lost Child

------------------------------------------

Dream Theater - When Dream and Day Unite (1989)

1) A Fortune in Lies
2) Status Seeker
3) The Ytsé Jam
4) The Killing Hand
5) Light Fuse and Get Away
6) Afterlife
7) The Ones Who Helped to Set the Sun
8) Only a Matter of Time

Yes, the production is horrible. Yes, the album sounds dated. No, Dominici sounds very good. No, the songs are excellent.

This album surely divides DT fans. Some hate it, some like it, but can't stand Charlie Dominici, some love it. I'm definitely one of the latter. The songs are catchy and not overly lengthy. Sure, they were still a bit inexperienced, but the album is an interesting phase of development and surely stands a competition to their later albums. Here are some of John Petrucci's best guitar solos, but they are a bit down on the mix, sadly. Too bad DT pretty much ignores the album on their setlists, playing usually only one song from it.

Favourite tracks: Status Seeker, The Killing Hand, Light Fuse and Get Away, Only a Matter of Time

Where'd I place it?: 26-35

------------------------------------------

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (1975)

1) Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Parts I-V
2) Welcome to the Machine
3) Have a Cigar
4) Wish You Were Here
5) Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Parts VI-IX

More mellow than TDSOTM, this album is known for 26-minute epic Shine on You Crazy Diamond, which is split in two sections, the opening and closing tracks. But as great as SOYCD is, I think it is my least favourite on the album. Cold and machine-like Welcome to the Machine has very unique athmosphere. Have a Cigar is the only really rocking song on the album, featuring great guest vocals by Roy Harper. And the title track is magnificent. A great chillout album, rather dark though, but beautiful.

Favourite tracks: Welcome to the Machine, Have a Cigar, Wish You Were Here

--------------------------------------------

Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth (2005)

1) All the Love in the World
2) You Know What You Are
3) The Collector
4) The Hand that Feeds
5) Love Is Not Enough
6) Every Day Is Exactly the Same
7) With Teeth
8) Only
9) Getting Smaller
10) Sunspots
11) The Line Begins to Blur
12) Beside You in Time
13) Right Where It Belongs

European/Japanese bonus track:
14) Home

With Teeth is NIN's fourth studio album. It is very different to the two previous albums, The Downward Spiral and The Fragile, since it is not a concept album and it is less electronic and their most rocking record to date. But even though it is not as sonically rich, the songs still sound unique and the album does not repeat itself, except on lyrics intentionally. Dave Grohl plays live drums on seven songs, and Jerome Dillon on two, making this album the only NIN record to date in which most of the songs have live drums. The styles on album vary from metal (You Know What You Are) to piano-driven ballads (Right Where It Belongs) and from alternative rock/punk (Getting Smaller) to shoegazing (Beside You in Time). Only is one of the most danceable NIN songs ever and has one of my favourite music videos. Too bad the American version of the album doesn't have Home, it is a great song and a perfect pair to Right Where It Belongs.

Favourite tracks: The Collector, With Teeth, Only, Sunspots, Beside You in Time, Right Where It Belongs, Home

Where I'd place it?: 16-25

Two albums left!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Ruba's Top 50 albums! v. Pushing up the bright bright sun
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2013, 08:44:26 AM »
Awesome update! :tup I've heard all except With Teeth.

Offline Ruba

Re: Ruba's Top 50 albums! v. Is it all over?
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2013, 09:22:02 AM »
The Dresden Dolls - Yes, Virginia... (2006)

1) Sex Changes
2) Backstabber
3) Modern Moonlight
4) My Alcoholic Friends
5) Delilah
6) Dirty Business
7) First Orgasm
8) Mrs. O
9) Shores of California
10) Necessary Evil
11) Mandy Goes to Med School
12) Me & the Minibar
13) Sing

The Dresden Dolls is one of the best musical discoveries for me this year. Scorpion send me the song Delilah in my roulette, and it got full ten points. I decided to check the rest of the album out, but at first I didn't really like it. But on the next listen, I suddenly enjoyed this album a whole lot more. Maybe I just had to be accustoming to their style.

The Dresden Dolls is a duo, consisting of Amanda Palmer (piano, keyboards, vocals) and Brian Viglione (drums, percussion, background vocals, guitar, bass). Majority of the songs feature only piano, drums and vocals. Their musical is sort of theatrical piano rock, also labeled as dark cabaret. Amanda Palmer is very skilled songwriter, lyricist and pianist. Her singing voice is not traditionally beautiful, because her range is quite low, but I like it, she sounds sexy. My favourite performance of hers is on Mandy Goes to Med School, a rather jazzy piece. I also like how she can sing in an ugly manner in songs that aren't exactly pretty, like First Orgasm or Me & the Minibar. And Brian Viglione doesn't even get half of the recognition he'd deserve. One of the most dynamic drummers I know.

Favourite tracks: Sex Changes, Modern Moonlight, My Alcoholic Friends, Mandy Goes to Med School, Me & the Minibar, Sing

Where'd I place it?: 6-15

----------------------------------------

Animal Alpha - You Pay for the Whole Seat, But You'll Only Need the Edge (2008)

1) Bundy (on my edition, originally on Animal Alpha EP and Pheromones)
2) Pin You All
3) Master of Disguise
4) Fire! Fire! Fire!
5) Alarm
6) Breed Again
7) In the Barn
8) Even When I'm Wrong, I'm Right
9) Tricky Threesome

You Pay for the Whole Seat, But You'll Only Need the Edge is the second and the last album by Norwegian rock/metal band Animal Alpha. It is the shortest album on the list, clocking barely over 30 minutes (33 with Bundy). Compared to their debut Pheromones, this album is much heavier. Agnete's singing is harsher, but there are still plenty of clean vocals. The album doesn't have the crazy variety of Pheromones, but is more mature and technical, songs like Fire! Fire! Fire! (reminds me of Hooker with a Penis by Tool) and Breed Again are a bit proggy. The album is also considerably darker. There are two ballads on the album, Alarm and creepy In the Barn, continuing the line of great ballads starting from Waltz on Animal Alpha EP.

I also have to brag a little. Breed Again got the highest score (9,9) on Nem's roulette v2.

Favourite tracks: Pin You All, Fire! Fire! Fire!, Alarm, Tricky Threesome

Where'd I place it?: 1-5
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 09:35:43 AM by Ruba »

Offline Ruba

Re: Ruba's Top 50 albums! v. Finished!
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2013, 10:46:45 AM »
No, it's not over.

I asked Big Hath if a list needs to be in order of preference to be accepted to the database. He said yes. So here it comes. Each album has a link to one song on the album, even the ones everyone has (or should have) heard.

50. Anathema - Weather Systems (2012)
49. Meshuggah - Koloss (2012)
48. Alice Cooper - Killer (1971)
47. Megadeth - Cryptic Writings (1997)
46. The Young Gods - T.V. Sky (1992)
45. Eppu Normaali - Valkoinen kupla (1986)
44. Queensr˙che - Rage for Order (1986)
43. Sepultura - Chaos A.D. (1993)
42. Nine Inch Nails - The Slip (2008)
41. Sepultura - Arise (1991)
40. Butthole Surfers - Electriclarryland (1996)
39. Rush - Hold Your Fire (1987)
38. Marilyn Manson - Mechanical Animals (1998)
37. Rush - Counterparts (1993)
36. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
35. Ministry - The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste (1989)
34. CMX - Talvikuningas (2007)
33. Rush - Hemispheres (1978)
32. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (1975)
31. Between the Buried and Me - Colors (2007)
30. Eppu Normaali - Rupisia riimejä, karmeita tarinoita (1984)
29. PMMP - Rakkaudesta (2012)
28. Fall Out Boy - Infinity on High (2007)
27. Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth (1997)
26. Pink Floyd - Animals
25. Nightwish - Oceanborn (1998)
24. Dream Theater - When Dream and Day Unite (1989)
23. Rush - Permanent Waves (1980)
22. Ministry - Houses of the Molé (2004)
21. Queen - A Night at the Opera (1975)
20. Ministry - ΚΕΦΑΛΗΞΘ (1992)
19. Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes (1992)
18. Papa Roach - lovehatetragedy (2002)
17. Dream Theater - Images and Words (1992) (ok, everyone has heard this, right?)
16. Dream Theater - Awake (1994) (this one too)
15. PMMP - Leskiäidin tyttäret (2006)
14. Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth (2005)
13. Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar (1996)
12. Bruce Dickinson Skunkworks - Bruce Dickinson Skunkworks (1996)
11. Nightwish - Angels Fall First (1997)
10. The Dresden Dolls - Yes, Virginia... (2006)
9. Queensr˙che - Promised Land (1994)
8. Djerv - Djerv (2011)
7. Ministry - Filth Pig (1996)
6. Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile (1999)
5. Metallica - Master of Puppets (1986)
4. Animal Alpha - You Pay for the Whole Seat, But You'll Only Need the Edge (2008)

3. Animal Alpha - Pheromones (2005)

2. Nightwish - Century Child (2002)

1. Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (1994)

So that's it. Thanks for everyone who followed! Maybe it was too early for me make one, since there are so many artists with multiple albums, but now it's done.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2013, 12:00:11 PM »
Great to see Skunkworks so high.  :tup

I really enjoyed the list, even though I wasn't familiar with quite a few of the artist.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2013, 12:24:30 PM »
awesome list.  Lot's of stuff I've never really listened to.  Thanks for putting the final list together for me!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.