Author Topic: The Looking Glass Discussion Thread  (Read 14257 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: The Looking Glass Discussion Thread
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2013, 10:41:39 PM »
Wow, I am in the minority here. I think it is the worst song on the album. I only enjoy the bass break out section. I am just happy it is a short song so I can get to the others. I would never skip it but it is my least fav on the album.

Same here, its the endinh I don't enjoy, it just suddenly ends
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2013, 12:01:44 PM »
One of the things I was curious about before hearing this album was if any of the vocal/musical melodies would get stuck in my head like DT's music often does. Well, I've had the chorus and that bass line stuck in my head for the last couple days.

You've done well, DT. You've done well.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Sourcegamer101

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2013, 11:58:54 PM »
I always have to sing along with the delayed "digging up a gold mine" line.  Every time.  It's a sickness.

The "YAR DIGGING AP A GOLDMINE" line almost sounds like his vocals were were somehow corrupted during the mix and bumped up slightly in pitch as well. It's weird, they almost have a electronic/double tracked sound. It's mostly noticeable when you compare the first chorus to the third one, it sounds higher-pitched than the first one.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2013, 10:58:49 AM »
I was surprised how far this thread was buried.  I loved this song so much the first few spins and it has grown on me even more from there.  For one, I like the lyrical topic.  But I just listened again paying attention to all JP's NON solo guitar work and it is just an outstanding performance by him, especially during the verses.  Great driving song, crank it up!!
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2013, 03:14:09 PM »
Since I like Signals era Rush a whole lot more than modern era DT, I think its the best song on the album.

And I'm surprised that people are only picking up on the opening riff. The whole song is essentially a tribute. The vocal melodies. The keyboard patch. The callback vocals on the chorus. The complete change-up going into the solo, and half of the solo is quite Lifesonesque. The only person who wasn't all over their Rush counterpart was Mangini.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2013, 03:19:03 PM »
Since I like Signals era Rush a whole lot more than modern era DT, I think its the best song on the album.

And I'm surprised that people are only picking up on the opening riff. The whole song is essentially a tribute. The vocal melodies. The keyboard patch. The callback vocals on the chorus. The complete change-up going into the solo, and half of the solo is quite Lifesonesque. The only person who wasn't all over their Rush counterpart was Mangini.

I think the whole album is essentially a tribute. The opening to Surrender To Reason could've easily come from any 80's era Rush album. This is the most Rush sounding album they've made.

Edit: I just saw your Didacts and Narpets comment.

See!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2013, 03:37:46 PM »
I hear influences from a lot of different bands all over the album. There's a quiet passage somewhere in there that's straight out of the Gilmour playbook. JLB was clearly going for a Mustaine sound in BtV. Hell, they even covered themselves with the end of IT.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2013, 04:02:41 PM »
Hell, they even covered themselves with the end of IT.

:hefdaddy

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2013, 05:01:59 PM »

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2013, 05:33:55 PM »
I guess I'm the only one here that hear a lot more journey (escape and frontiers era) influence in this song than limelight (of course, after the intro guitar riff). And the solo, it's quite UK style, like a "mini" Trial of Tears. Anyway, this really doesn't matter... it's one of the finest DT commercial songs, no doubt! GREAT song ! :tup
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 06:39:49 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cosmicwxdude

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2013, 06:26:57 PM »
It's a good song, and I love the artwork accompanying it.  :tup

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2013, 10:11:08 AM »
Love the lyrics to this song.  To me, there's a faint similarity between the lyrics to "Just Let Me Breathe" and "The Looking Glass," because both songs are about fame.  Comparing the lyrics shows why I'm so happy to have more Petrucci lyrics.  Petrucci approaches the topic with such poeticness in "The Looking Glass," while Portnoy basically calls out people and TV networks in a ranting way in "Just Le Me Breathe."
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2014, 11:03:35 AM »
I hear influences from a lot of different bands all over the album. There's a quiet passage somewhere in there that's straight out of the Gilmour playbook. JLB was clearly going for a Mustaine sound in BtV. Hell, they even covered themselves with the end of IT.
...and with the beginning... that tatatatata-tata drumming coming from the 12SS and even before - was it Caught in a web ending, if I recall properly? Yes I do (I checked back - ;D)
On the song, yes Rushy, like also the Bigger Picture... that guitar comeback after the light and rare piano break...
lyrics definitely about Mike the Old, and also funny reference on the artwork to BC&SL, most elements are there, the child is grown, the dream is gone i.e. the elephant has grown smaller than the books (another reference to Portnoy I guess  ::) ).
From Rome, with love.

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2014, 02:57:12 PM »
Love the song, and especially love the bass intro into the solo and of course the guitar solo itself.  Nothing super technical but has a great feel to it. :D

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2014, 09:52:15 AM »
Still one of my favorites on the album. My only complaint is how abruptly it ends.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2014, 03:33:51 AM »
Great song, one of my favorites on album. I especially like James' singing in verses.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline bairrock

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2014, 12:25:46 AM »
I love all the crazy keyboard work Jordan does in the 2nd verse.  It's buried, but if you listen closely, it's very interesting!

Offline LTE3

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2014, 12:35:01 AM »
This song could be my bathroom break if they play it this tour.  Again, like the break down and solo but still my least fav on new album.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2014, 12:37:30 AM »
I love all the crazy keyboard work Jordan does in the 2nd verse.  It's buried, but if you listen closely, it's very interesting!
Yeah, it's criminal how much he gets buried in the mix on this album.

Offline Frosthawk

• Striving for futility
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2014, 08:01:18 AM »
Absolutely great song, easily one of my favorites on the album. I can see the Rush comparisons, but this song still sounds more to me like DT than Rush, and that's what matters. I particularly like the verse sections, the melody is beautiful there, but then again that's one of my favorite melodic progressions. I really do hope they play this live on the tour.

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2014, 05:34:42 AM »
Oh, for sure! Avantasia is great!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2tedG-y7VM
:-*

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2014, 03:02:25 AM »
Still the only song on the album I don't really care for, but it's better than the song I didn't care for on the last album (BMUBMD).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2014, 04:46:45 AM »
TLG seems to be even more awesome live than on the album, really looking forward to witnessing it myself instead of only watching youtube videos :tup

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2014, 05:31:48 AM »
So after prolly close to 100 spins of DT12 this song and IT are the only two I never skip...0% fatigue factor after all this time, can't wait to hear live.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2014, 05:51:49 PM »
Yeah, it's criminal how much he gets buried in the mix on this album.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2014, 02:02:52 AM »
Looking Glass is definitely my favorite on the album. JPs guitar sound is amazing, and the riffs have a beautiful quality to them.

And I actually love how JR is more in the background on this album. With metal i feel that's the best way keyboards should be used. I'm not a big fan of the way JR is so up-front on a lot of DT music. I rather he play more for atmosphere and tone rather then on top playing solos with Petrucci.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2014, 02:23:05 AM »
Still easily my least favourite song on the album (well, maybe on a par with FAS, but that's not technically a "song").

I mean, it's fine and all, and the solo section in particular is really great (such a nice groove from MM and JM). I just don't find it very exciting, and honestly I find the riff to be pretty meh.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2014, 02:52:12 AM »
The blatant similarities to Limelight bothered me at first, but the song has grown on me since then. On Monday I'll see how much it rocks live!

Offline Enalya

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2014, 04:54:17 AM »
Hm, I definitely wouldn't rate it the best song of the record. It's a bit too 'mainstream' for my taste. But it's well written and I do like the bass section ^^
I just prefer The Bigger Picture ten times over it.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2014, 05:12:56 AM »
Great song, I can't wait to see it live tomorrow!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2015, 09:43:53 AM »
This is such a perfect "short DT" song. All the progressive elements are there and it stays tight and under 5 minutes without giving off a feel that it was rushed.

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2015, 10:04:41 AM »
If someone can say it's the best song on the album, I can say that it sucks
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline pcs90

« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2015, 11:33:55 AM »
It's a great song. Only problems with it really are the one verse with the super busy double bass and keyboards kind of covers up James, and the ending is a little awkward.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2015, 11:36:18 AM »
This is such a perfect "short DT" song. All the progressive elements are there and it stays tight and under 5 minutes without giving off a feel that it was rushed.

Dunno, I'm getting precisely that feel. :neverusethis:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2015, 11:46:21 AM »
The album version feels bleak, so I didn't like that a lot until I heard the BTFW version. That was sooo much better in terms of mix and balance (keyboards yay!)
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing