Author Topic: Mikemangioy's 50 degrees of Dream Theater turbulence! (NUMBAH ONE)  (Read 12749 times)

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
 :huhOh, hi, fellow DT fans! It's now my turn to share my take on the top 50 Dream Theater songs list! Now, I'll start tomorrow, but let me say a few things before:

- I'll try my best to update with a daily basis, between 2:00-3:00 PM GMT+1 (Italian time)
- Yes, this list will include songs from the new album. I feel like it has completely grown on me and their placement on the list are completely satisfying from my point of view.

Oh, and also, I'm sorry if my english will not be good enough at some point, I'm not a native-speaker.

So, I hope you'll follow, see ya tomorrow.  :metal

List so far:
50 - As I Am
49 - Constant Motion
48 - Erotomania
47 - This Dying Soul
46 - Forsaken
45 - Along For The Ride
44 - Never Enough
43 - Lines In The Sand
42 - The Silent Man
41 - Vacant/Stream Of Consciousness
40 - The Best Of Times
39 - Far From Heaven
38 - Blind Faith
37 - These Walls
36 - Honor Thy Father
35 - Surrender To Reason
34 - A Nightmare To Remember
33 - Behind The Veil
32 - Under A Glass Moon
31 - Endless Sacrifice
-
30 - This Is The Life
29 - Ytsejam
28 - Scene Two (Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu)
27 - The Ministry Of Lost Souls
26 - Outcry
25 - The Count Of Tuscany
24 - Fatal Tragedy
23 - The Dark Eternal Night
22 - Scarred
21 - Bridges In The Sky

20 - Illumination Theory
19 - In The Presence Of Enemies
18 - Surrounded
17 - A Change Of Seasons
16 - Breaking All Illusions
15 - Disappear
14 - Lie
13 - The Bigger Picture
12 - Raise The Knife
11 - The Great Debate

-

10 - Take The Time
09 - Sacrificed Sons
08 - Peruvian Skies
07 - Metropolis Part 1: "The Miracle And The Sleeper"
06 - Voices

05 - Beyond This Life
04 - Learning To Live
03 - The Spirit Carries On
02 - Octavarium
01 - In The Name Of God

spotless new song (probably top 30): Beneath The Surface

« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 11:25:37 AM by mikemangioy »
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline mikemangioy

Re: Mikemangioy's 50 degrees of Dream Theater turbolence! (50->48)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 07:22:22 AM »
It's time for the first update!

50.As I Am (from Train Of Thought, 2003)
My lists starts off with the opener of Train Of Thought, which is a really heavy album, as you already know. This song is no exception.
As I Am is a straight headbanger that pumps you up from start to finish. The intro is really moody and creepy, I also see a little bit of Slayer influence in there (South Of Heaven, anyone?). Mike puts some icing on top of the cake with some incredibly good drum fills. Another cool thing about the intro is the feedback effect of JP's guitar, it adds a lot of atmosphere. After a while the song blasts into complete heavy epicness. You can't not headbang to this. The lyrics of this song are like a personal anthem; people don't always accept my look or my tastes, and I've always wanted to scream to those people "TAKE ME AS I AM" in their face, to then continue singing the song, always screaming in their face. The chorus is also a highlight and LaBrie sound like James Hetfield because "AS I AAAM, YEAH!"; Metallica is my favorite band so, no big deal. The guitar solo in this song is one of my favorites, and even if it's shreddy, I absolutely love it; it is also followed by MP drum solo, which is amazing. I'm a drummer, and it's a very fun and challenging bit to play. The song ends with some great feedbacks effects once again, offering a great transition between this song and This Dying Soul. Awesome, rocking track.  :metal

49.Constant Motion (from Systematic Chaos, 2007)
Similar to As I Am, this is also from a pretty heavy album, and this is also a heavy song.
This song is really fun to play especially for the intro, which features a really tricky riff that changes time signatures various times (7/8 3/8 7/8 5/8 7/8 3/8 7/8 5/8 3/8). The vocals in this song are really ballsy, also thanks to Mike Portnoy, that backs James up throughout most of the song. I really love the seconde verse, those "vocal fights" between the two are awesome, although I know that some of you may not like it. Best part of it: APOCALYPTIC JAMES LABRIE UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN! UH!. Really awesome. The best part of the song is the instrumental section in my opinion. Apart from the guitar and the keyboard solos, which are top notch, the rythm backing that the rest of the band does  is really hyping. One of Portnoy's finest moments, also. So, if you're into metal and hard rock, this song is for you.

48.Erotomania (from Awake, 1994)
This is the first instrumental to appear on the list, and certainly not the last. I like to call this song "The Drunk Song" because the first minute of it reminds me of a drunk guy who is attempting to walk. This song is really filled with cool moments like the descending riff, the cool technical part before the acoustic breakdown, and one of the coolest things, The Silent Man forshadowing. I think that musical references add so much to the experience when you're listening to a three-piece epic like A Mind Beside Itself, or even like Six Degrees. JP also shares an incredible Mozart-influenced solo, which is really mind-blowing. Another cool moment is the riff at the 5:30 mark, it is plain heavy and I love the fact that MP doubles it on the bass drums. Really great instrumental, fun to play and to listen to, great prelude to Voices.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:34:21 AM by mikemangioy »

Offline Viking of the Sagas

Re: Mikemangioy's 50 degrees of Dream Theater turbulence! (50->48)
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 07:41:39 AM »
Nice picks! I also would rank these songs in my top 50. I can only see it getting more interesting as we descend down the list...  ;)

Offline 425

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 08:33:12 AM »
I am not the biggest fan of As I Am. Erotomania is a good choice, as is Constant fucking Motion (though it's too low)!
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 10:12:07 AM »
Nice list  :tup I have no problem with this and no other comment other than

:metal
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 10:24:06 AM »
Thanks guys!

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 10:32:44 AM »
This list gets the Gentleman's watch.

AKA I'm watching this thread cause I already like your list lots :)
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 06:50:30 AM »
Time for update n° 2

47.This Dying Soul (from Train Of Thought, 2003)
Like the last update, this one begins with a Train Of Thought song, and it is the song that comes after As I Am: the heavy trip of This Dying Soul.
This song opens up with a DUN DUU DUN DUU DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU that punches you right in the face. I think it's one of the heaviest DT moments ever; the riff that comes after the sustain intro also belongs to that category. It's so simple but so raw and powerful. Unfortunately the song after this intro kinda gets boring and repetitive, in my opinion. There's the 6/8 riff which is haunting, but boring. But after the chorus, the first riff comes once more with a great JLB moment, where he almost raps, and I don't mind it. The lyrics in this song (like the rest of the 12SS) are amazing and can really connect to anyone, not just to alcohol addicts. Especially the bridge verse "Now that you can see all you have done, it's time to take that step into the kingdom, All your sins will only make you strong, And help you break right through the prison wall". Then there's dat moment. The moment when everything collapses into one big heavy-ass riff that rips your face off : it's the reprise of The Glass Prison. Just  :metal
It's so brutal.
I think the second part of the song is far better than the first. I especially like the "tormenting ghost of yesterday" section. And then, the best part of the song.
THE INSTRUMENTAL SECTION  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
It's heavy, powerful and mind blowing. Don't even get me started on the unison because I might die for the over-excitement.
So, this song starts on a kind of bad note, but it just gets better and better.

46.Forsaken (from Systematic Chaos, 2007)
This is one of those radio-friendly song that once in a while DT write. Forsaken is a really beautiful song, James here is the shining star. He has a great performance on this song; I especially like the chorus, it is very melodic and epic. Come on guys, who doesn't sing "FORSAAAAAAKEEEEEEEEEEEN" each time the chorus hits, no matter where you are? Anyways, the second verse takes the song up a notch with a more heavy riff, to then return to the melodic element once again. I also really enjoy the guitar solo, it's really emotional. So, great song, not very technical or proggy, but DT isn't just that, that's why I like 'em: the variety.

45.Along For The Ride (from Dream Theater, 2013)
Here we go, the first song on the list from the new record is Along For The Ride.
This song is one thing: emotional. It's really touching and anthemic in a way. I feel like the lyrics are very true, there's so much going on, but we continue to live our life together, along for this crazy ride. The chorus sends goosebumps each time, and the bridge is just epic. Also, Rudess gives us one of his best momens, in my opinion. That keyboard solo is beautifully gorgeous. And that Myung underneath it! I don't know why but he sounds like Geddy Lee on this record. The last chorus is an highlight: James sings those high notes on the right speaker perfectly.
Awesome song, I think it's perfect as an encore for the new tour, also, because it is named after this song!  :tup

Offline Viking of the Sagas

Re: Mikemangioy's 50 degrees of Dream Theater turbulence! (47->45)
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 08:40:15 AM »
Nice songs, though I would've put Along For the Ride a bit higher on the list.

Offline 425

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 08:47:52 AM »
Three great choices for this section of the list! :tup
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 06:57:30 AM »
44.Never Enough (from Octavarium, 2005)
This update starts with a great song from Octavarium, which is my second favorite album by the band.
As we all know, this song is very Muse-influenced, and Muse is one of my favorite bands out there, so, no problem at all!
The main riff is really heavy but very complex at the same time, I like the way Mike plays on it, it's very pounding and aggressive. But, once again, the shining star here is James. His performance on this song, IMO, is one of his best. He delivers the angry feelings in an excellent way and he sounds really great in general throughout the song. The lyrics are very relevant: there are some fans that always complain about every little bit of detail: THAT NOTE ON THE DARK ETERNAL NIGHT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A B#! THE SONGS ON THE NEW ALBUM ARE SHORT! BRING PORTNOY BACK! I hate these kind of fans, so this lyrics really speak to me. The chorus is a great moment, especially from "Would you appreciate" onward. The synths in the song are great, and I love the keyboard/guitar unison after the guitar lead moment. So, this song is great for when you're pissed off, and you wanna destroy everything that you touch.

43.Lines In The Sand (from Falling Into Infinity, 1997)
One of the epics from Falling Into Infinity earns the 43th place. Now, this song would've been placed much higher if the studio version included the "cuts" from the demo version, you know, more like the Romania 2002 DVD version. I really love the sections that were cut out, and I think they add  much to the song. Anyways, if there is a highlight in this song, it is the intro. One of the best DT intros, if not in general music, ever: the song starts out by a keyboard solo by Derek (BTW I think he's the best sounding keyboardist of the band), then the song gains epicness with all those long chords and drum fills; the song then transitions to one of the happiest riffs that I've ever heard. The funky-ish verses remind me of Take The Time a bit. The chorus is great, I love to sing along to it; This song is also pretty dynamic. I  really love all the various build ups throughout it, which are found especially during the verses. And then, the guitar solo, my God, that's really epic-sounding and chilling. Another great section is the wacky drum/keyboard unisons after the "Stream Of Consciousness" verse. All in all, I think this song is really happy, and it's really fun to play.

42.The Silent Man (from Awake, 1994)
I really  don't have much to say about this ballad. It's a really relaxing and happy campfire-ish song. Perfect to sing along, great lyrics and great guitar play; I think this song should've been a radio hit like Pull Me Under, it has all the elements to be like that. Also, great epilogue to that monster of a song which is Voices, it fits really well in the album, especially because it comes before  The Mirror. I love the transition:
"There lies the silent man...." *music fades out*
WEE DUN DUN DUN- DUN DUN DUN-DUN DUN DUN-DUN DUN DUN
A real perfect placement.
That's it. I love this song, but I really don't have much to say about it.

Offline jakepriest

Re: Mikemangioy's 50 degrees of Dream Theater turbulence! (44->42)
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 09:05:39 AM »
I'm not a big fan of Never Enough, but the unison towards the end of the song is one of the album highlights imo.
Lines In The Sand  :hefdaddy Should be a bit higher (if not only for the amazing JP solo).

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 09:19:39 AM »
Good list so far :tup

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 11:19:05 AM »
Great list to read and nice ranking, looking forward to the rest of it! :)

Offline Ruba

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 05:00:40 AM »
NOW we're talking. A great update, although I'd place Never Enough and Lines in the Sand lot higher. :tup

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 05:39:22 AM »
Time for another update, sorry for the delay, I was pretty busy.
41.Vacant/Stream Of Consciousness (from Train Of Thought, 2003)
I put these songs together, because they're meant to be together; SOC loses much without Vacant, and so does Vacant with SOC. They are really similar songs, even though the first one is a 2-minute long piano ballad and the other one is an 11 minute instrumental of doom and death and destruction. I have a little theory: Vacant talks about someone who's falling into a coma (or into infinity, if you want). Stream of consciousness is the musical representation of what the person who is in the coma "sees"  :justjen
Anyway, Vacant is a sad, beautiful song. James performs very well in this one, also because he's directly interested, as the person who's falling in a coma is (or was) her daughter. Rudess and Myung do some great job strumentally, which really sets the ideal mood for the song. Also, the cello adds even more atmosphere. Anyway, Vacant ends with a piano melody repeated various times. And here it begins. Stream of motherluvin' Consciousness. This songs twist and turns, shifts and morphs. There's not one moment that's like  another. All the great riffs: the Vacant one, the "excotic" one, the "mortal kombact" one, the really heavy stomping section are amazingly melt down into one another. This song is eleven minutes long, but it feels much less. There are a couple epic moments like the guitar solo and the final build up, which are two of the best moments in DT history. So, these songs are completely amazing. I hope that we will hear them on the next tour.

40.The Best Of Times (from Black Clouds and Silver Linings, 2009)
You know, this album isn't all that great. Every song is solid, but there are just 6 in there: 3 of them are amazing and the other 3 are meh; in that way, I like only half of the album, which is pretty bad by DT standards. But, this is one of the 3 I like (of course), and it is the rollercoaster ride of emotions of The Best Of Times.
This song is a jerk: it starts off in the saddest way possible, with a piano melody which is then repeated by the acoustic guitar. It's very sad and touching, but after almost three minutes, the song transforms completely. It becomes one of the happiest piece of music Dream Theater has ever created. The thing I like about this song is that, even being a song about a loss (MP's dad in this case), it's still happy for the most of the time, with the lyrics focusing on the good memories that Portnoy has about his father, rather than the sadness of losing someone. After the second chorus, though, the song returns to the sad mood. In this section I absolutely love the lyrics. They're simple, but they're gorgeous. "The fleeting winds of time flying through each day
All the things I should've done but time just slipped away Remember seize the day Life goes by in the blink of an eye with so much left to say". Props to Portnoy. The song closes on an emotional note, with one hell of a guitar solo. I think the song is even greater in the version sang by Portnoy. It adds a whole bunch of emotion.

39.Far From Heaven (from A Dramatic Turn Of Events, 2011)
Yeah, you can hate me now. I don't know why, but this song always worked for me. This is also a piano ballad, and it's really touching. Rudess here plays one of the saddest things he came up with. James sings with great feeling and vibe, and the lyrics are also very true. This song is also a great build up to Breaking All Illusions. That's it, not very much to say, but great song.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 05:49:53 AM »
I have a little theory: Vacant talks about someone who's falling into a coma (or into infinity, if you want). Stream of consciousness is the musical representation of what the person who is in the coma "sees"  :justjen

Me too. Actually, JLB wrote Vacant about his daughter, who fell into coma days before her seventh birthday.

https://www.jameslabrie.com/forum/index.php?topic=430.msg5969#msg5969

About 38 spots too low, shall I say? :xbones

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 05:53:14 AM »
I put these songs together, because they're meant to be together
I disagree with this, but hey, it's your list.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline 425

Re: Mikemangioy's 50 degrees of Dream Theater turbulence! (41->39)
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 07:12:12 AM »
Like hefdaddy, I disagree with the practice of combining Vacant and SOC, but both of them should fall around this part of the list so I agree with your placement of them. I like The Best of Times but would absolutely not place it this high. And I would easily place Far From Heaven this high or probably higher, that one is a great choice.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 07:13:01 AM »
I wouldn't put SoC lower than top 15. To see it at 41 breaks my heart.
On the other hand Far From Heaven is a great ballad.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 07:54:46 AM »
I predicted that you guys would have not agreed with my placement of SOC  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 12:31:40 PM »
As another person who would put it way higher than it is here, yes. SHAME ON YOU jk/jk personal taste and all

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 06:24:59 AM »
I too don't think you should combine Vacant and SoC (though both are great!). I like Far from Heaven and I don't mind TBoT, but I can't agree with the lyrics being good. I don't usually focus on the lyrics too much, but in this song they almost ruin the atmosphere for me, I don't know. I think that's why I like only the intro and outro there.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 08:11:18 AM »
38.Blind Faith (from Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, 2002)
This massive song starts today's update. It's a really hyping song, and it's awesome to sing along to. Blind Faith starts out quietly, with a synth solo that I find a bit out of place, in fact, I think the song should've started directly with the bass line. Anyway, Portnoy's drumming stands out here. The second verse has some of the trickiest stuff he ever came up with. The song then begins to build and build until BOOM!
"BLIIIIIIIND FAITH WE HAVE IN YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU (invisiblee)". One great chorus. Then the verse returns, but this time, heavy as an elephant; I love the wah pedal effect. After the second chorus there's a magnificent bridge that gives me goosebumps each time and then the instrumental starts. I'm not a big fan of this instrumental section, because even though I like the riffs and the piano break ( :hefdaddy :hefdaddy)
I think that the keyboard solo is too long. But then everything gets fixed with that awesome unison, when us drummers get the chance to go crazy with an awesome build-up to the last chorus. Amazing song, kinda in the vibe of Lines In The Sand, also lyrically.  :metal

37.These Walls (from Octavarium, 2005)
Evil guitar noises, detuned, distorted, growling noises. It sounds like a beast which is slowly coming up to get you. The riff sounds heavy and mean. And then, when you think that everything was gonna fall into a vortex of epic heavyness, the hi-hat gets hit, and one second later..
YOU ARE IN THE HEAVENS.
This is the potential of These Walls. It's a freaking happy sounding song that uses an A tuned guitar. What the heck. The synth in there is just godly, absolutely godly. I love the build-ups to the choruses, which are great, and send me goosebumps, even the bridge and the guitar solo are great. Everything is pure beauty. BUT.
THE FREAKING OUTRO. The outro is just both heavy and happy at the same time, I don't know how it's possible (outside of power metal, of course). The strings in that outro are just..just.. I don't know how to describe it. INB4 Lucien's reply.
The lyrics are also pretty understandable, sometimes we fall in certain situations and we don't know how to get out, so we desperately call for help. Really great song, one of the firsts I ever listened from DT.

36.Honor Thy Father (from Train Of Thought, 2003)
TOT is a heavy album. There are some seriously heavy songs in there designed to rock your socks off. But this one beats 'em all, in the heavy factor.
From the moment that the drums kick in, you know that you're in for a heavy massive song. The riffs are pounding, to say the least. They make you almost chop your head off. The lyrics are also pretty evil, even though they're not so good. I don't mind the "rap" section, it's quite good. The chorus is astonishing. LaBrie's screams are near-perfect, especially "COLOR SHOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!". And then there's the instrumental section. My god, that's anxious-sounding, it's almost menacing, with all those samples from movies, I feel pretty guilty listening to that. And I also adore the alternance of 6/8 and 5/8. This song is massive sounding, and I think that it is the heaviest song that DT ever wrote, I love it, especially when I'm pissed, and I play it, almost destroying my kit. Just  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline 425

Re: Mikemangioy's 50 degrees of Dream Theater turbulence! (38->36)
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2013, 01:01:08 PM »
Blind Faith and These Walls are great choices, though I'd put the latter higher, and Honor Thy Father is a really good song, though I wouldn't put it this high myself.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 01:15:59 PM »
Honor Thy Father has a few pretty cool parts but I don't like it as a whole, easily my least favorite off ToT though it's not nearly one of their worst songs either. Could say the same about Blind Faith really, it's also my least favorite off ToT and all.
Honestly not too hot on any of these picks really, though they're not bad songs!

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 03:50:18 PM »
Blind Faith  :metal

Honor Thy Father  :metal :metal :metal :metal

These Walls  :justjen

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2013, 07:21:50 AM »
35.Surrender To Reason (from Dream Theater, 2013)
Here's the second song to appear on the list from the new album. This one took a while to grow on me, but it arrived.
The song opens up with a beautiful riff that I would've bringed back during the rest of the song, it's a shame that it's only used in the intro. Anyways, the song transitions into a 6/8 acoustic guitar chord progression. I love the lyrics; I've always considered Myung the best lyricist of the band, and he has a legacy: every song that he writes the lyrics for is instant classic. This is no exception. Surrender To Reason is a mix of heavy verses and epic  and emotional choruses, which remind me a lot of Bridges In The Sky.I love the main riff, it's very fun to play. I also like the bridge section and of course DAT guitar solo.
It's very strange but very groovy at the same time, thanks to the wonderful work of Mangini and Myung which develop a complex syncopatic rythm under the solo (7/8 7/8 4/8 4/8 4/8 6/8 5/8). I like the fact that at this moment the keyboard completely goes silent for like thirty second, and because of this, this section reminds me strongly of Rush. The chorus comes once agains, this time more glorious than ever, and then it's time for the "Restless angels" section, which is my only complain. It's beautiful, but a bit repetitive. Petrucci shreds a bit as the song builds and builds until it explodes in the intro once again. Awesome song, I hope they'll play it live!

34.A Nightmare To Remember (from Black Clouds And Silver Linings, 2009)
This was one of the first songs that I ever listened from DT. It's heavy and dark, but at the same time epic and glorious. The intro is really menacing and frightening, it could be used for any horror movie. I love the fact that at the beginning there's this little piano melody and then BOOOOM. Everything just explodes with heaviness. I love the verse riff, it's really heavy and I always headbang to it. The wah-wah solo strongly reminds me of Metallica (I wonder why  ::)). After a couple of creepy choruses, the songs changes direction completely. It transforms in a ballad. In this section the protagonist after the car crash (which is what this song talks about) wakes up in a hospital. The lyrics and the music here really work well with one another. The chorus of this section is one of the most beautiful things I ever listened in my life  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
It sends chills down my spine every single time. The song then speeds up again, and after a solo section (too long in my opinion) begins one of my favorites section in every DT song ever. Yes. You know what I'm talking about. I don't give a shit, the MP vocal section is one of the best things out there. It's just pure  :metal ; I know, he doesn't sing very well, and the ROAAAAAAAAR makes me even laugh, but I love it. After this section the songs is now in complete metal domination. The section where Mike goes on the rimshot in 6/8 to then stop has the power to destroy a city. After one more chorus, Mike tries even a blast beat, but it's not that well excecuted, it could've been better. The songs finishes the way it started.  ::)
This song is the pure representation of what DT is, in my opinion, it has all the elements: the long song, the solos, the ballads, the heaviness; just everything. Perfection.

33.Behind The Veil (from Dream Theater, 2013)
This. This song could be the perfect opener for the new tour. Not The Enemy Inside, but this. The intro is just perfect, it's very emotional and it transitions well with the heaviness that comes afterwards. The first riff reminds me a lot of Creeping Death, but with more of a Megadeth flavor to it.
I love the first verse vocals, they're really evil in a way, and cool. But the chorus is just perfect. It's simple but it works perfectly. The second verse presents a cool vocal line with a cool riff underneath (10/4, 7/4). It sends goosebumps. The synth solo is also great, but the best part is the guitar solo, especially towards the end, when it goes on half time. It's one of the best moments on the new record. The song then closes perfectly with the second verse riff. Really great song, I feel it's a bit underrated.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Mikemangioy's 50 degrees of Dream Theater turbulence! (35->33)
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2013, 07:38:59 AM »
Switch the places of Surrender to Reason and Behind the Veil and you may proceed.   ;)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 08:01:39 AM »
Two of the better songs from two of my least favorite albums and the worst song from one of my least favorite albums. We can't be friends :V
nah jk and all.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 08:43:14 AM »
Switch the places of Surrender to Reason and Behind the Veil and you may proceed.   ;)

^ This.

Offline 425

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 04:42:39 AM »
All three are solid picks! :tup
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2013, 08:21:11 AM »
Next two (from now I'll go 2 songs a post, until the top ten, which I'll do one song per post.) :

32.Under A Glass Moon (from Images And Words, 1992)
This song was the first song I ever heard from DT(aside Pull Me Under, a few years back). I didn't like it very much at first, but it grew on me, a lot. The thing that stands out the most are the unisons. Not like solo unisons, but real riffing unisons, and, let me say, they are very well written and they never stay the same. Accompaning amazing lyrics, there is LaBrie perfectly in shape, you can tell that by the choruses. The guitar solo is a classic one, and adds a nice touch to the song, but what I really love is the keyboard solo. Amazing one, Moore. Really cool song, a classic. Also a fun one to play.

31.Endless Sacrifice (from Train Of Thought, 2003)
This is a semi-ballad, structured much like Metallica’s “track four” pieces, you know, Fade To Black, One, Sanitarium, in which the first part is a ballad with angry choruses and the second part is heaviness unleashed. That’s exactly what this song is. It starts off quite dramaticly, and the mood fits the lyrics very well, and the softness goes on, up until the chorus, where your face transforms from this  :(  to this  :metal. I love the use of the harmonics in the chorus. TRYY TO STAY ALIVE *eeee* UNTIL I HEAR YOUR VOICE! I’M GONNA LOSE MY MIND *eeeee* SOMEONE TELL ME WHY! It’s awesome. So, after the second chorus the song trasforms into a heavy beast; I like every single riff in this section.  After the JR wacky moment, the songs evolves even more with that epic fill, going into a more thrashing part, with the awesome unison work from JP and JR. The song then goes back into the chorus once more, more angry than ever. Amazing, great to play, sing along and headbang! I mean, what could you expect from TOT?  ;)

From the next post we're entering the top 30, the place where shit gets serious. I adore almost on the same level every song there, so I tried really hard to make a satisfying list for myself. And I think I got it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Mikemangioy's 50 degrees of Dream Theater turbulence! (# 32/31)
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 08:34:33 AM »
Two fantastic songs <3
I've got nothing else to say. Carry on.

Offline mikemangioy

Re: Mikemangioy's 50 degrees of Dream Theater turbulence! (# 32/31)
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2013, 08:43:12 AM »
Finally something you agree on  :lol