Author Topic: DT vinyl releases  (Read 46345 times)

Offline ProgressiveIce

Re: DT vinyl releases
« Reply #210 on: January 22, 2019, 06:47:06 AM »
For the 20th anniversary, MOV is re-releasing SFAM yet again next month, this time as a numbered edition of 5000 on orange/gold mixed vinyl.

https://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/dream-theater/metropolis-part-2-scenes-from-a-memory

I'm slightly annoyed that they release it at the same time as the new album instead of in October, exactly 20 years after the original release.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #211 on: January 22, 2019, 07:14:16 AM »
I wish they would release Live Scenes From New York on a gigantic 5LP vinyl set, since SFAM is still available on vinyl normally on Amazon. Marquee, Budokan and Score have been released too.
any rock can be made to roll

Online frogprog

« Reply #212 on: January 22, 2019, 09:17:31 AM »
Perhaps someone could help me with some advice. I have lots of old vinyl and a fair amount of newer vinyl. My turntable is a Numark, nothing fancy, but gets the job done and sounds fine with my Haken, ST and Slicks Heard vinyl to make a few. My problem is with the new OR vinyls i got for Christmas. In Absentia and Deadwing that were remastered by SW. They should sound great but in fact they don't sound good at all. Super hot and blown out. Any suggestions on what the problem is? The other newer vinyls still sound fine so I don't think the cartridge suddenly went bad.

Online frogprog

« Reply #213 on: January 22, 2019, 09:19:29 AM »
Stupid autocorrect. I meant to say Haken, DT and Spocks Beard

Online frogprog

« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2019, 09:20:16 AM »
And PT

Offline Grizz

« Reply #215 on: April 24, 2019, 12:36:57 AM »
Sorry to bump but I'd like to reiterate that I did not like MOV's pressings at all. They basically took the CDs and slapped them on vinyl with no differences, except when they had to cut out bits of song to fit them on the record. Segues had a tendency to drop out, and I'm pretty sure my I&W was slightly off-center.

IIRC, the Brookvale ones were better.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Online goo-goo

« Reply #216 on: April 24, 2019, 07:21:51 AM »
Perhaps someone could help me with some advice. I have lots of old vinyl and a fair amount of newer vinyl. My turntable is a Numark, nothing fancy, but gets the job done and sounds fine with my Haken, ST and Slicks Heard vinyl to make a few. My problem is with the new OR vinyls i got for Christmas. In Absentia and Deadwing that were remastered by SW. They should sound great but in fact they don't sound good at all. Super hot and blown out. Any suggestions on what the problem is? The other newer vinyls still sound fine so I don't think the cartridge suddenly went bad.

Maybe a cleaner/better cartridge? I doubt SW would screw up a vinyl remaster. However, the original In Absentia master was superhot and Deadwing was very compressed and they had recording issues as well. So maybe SW just lowered the volumes a bit.

In an Instagram post, he confirmed an In Absentia deluxe version will be released later this year.

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #217 on: June 26, 2019, 07:28:49 AM »
What quality of sound are those DT albums on vinyls?
And which brands of turntables are you using guys?

I think the best benefit of vinyls are when complete chain, complete setup is very good. Turntable, cartridge, phone preamp., speakers.
That's my dream for future, at this moment I own no turntable.

Offline chrisgazpacho

« Reply #218 on: September 22, 2020, 09:39:04 PM »
Any new vinyl re-issues on the horizon?  Just getting back into vinyl and have missed all of these re-issues.

Chris

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #219 on: September 23, 2020, 10:04:26 AM »
Any new vinyl re-issues on the horizon?  Just getting back into vinyl and have missed all of these re-issues.

Chris

Music on Vinyl released all DT albums up to Train Of Thought over the last few years. Also Budokan, Marquee and Score. Most of them are still available to buy. Only a few colored versions are a little hard to get by now (like for example Six Degrees, which by coincidence is the only DT album I don’t own on vinyl yet).
any rock can be made to roll