Author Topic: DT vinyl releases  (Read 46112 times)

Offline ProgressiveIce

Re: DT vinyl releases
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2016, 12:58:35 PM »
I&W was remastered as well. The Discogs user MTC47 posted this on the history page for the black vinyl version: "Through email exchange with Sterling Sounds and some very helpful research on their part I have confirmed that this is in fact a remastered edition, with the vinyl mastering for this remaster done by Dave Marino (3) for Enjoy The Ride & Brookvale."

AFAIK, SFAM wasn't remastered though.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2016, 01:48:24 PM »
Sweet! Thanks for the info. I wonder if Mr. Marino did FII and Awake as well

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #142 on: April 23, 2016, 03:03:28 PM »
No idea. I couldn't even find anything about whether they were also remastered at Sterling Sound. Someone at ETR/Brookvale probably knows. Might be worth asking Ross Shotland about it.

Offline peace_sells7

« Reply #143 on: April 25, 2016, 12:48:06 PM »
I just picked up the new DT from my local store! Very nice and sturdy 4 LP box set. I uploaded a small video showing off the contents  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDf9Qyz3IWs

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2016, 03:08:33 PM »
Quick update: I just read that there will be another reissue of IAW by Music On Vinyl in 2-3 weeks, this time on 180g coloured vinyl (gold and red mixed) and limited to 2000 copies. I can't find a proper source for this though, just listings on some webstores and on eBay (e.g. here and here). I'll update the OP when some solid source surfaces.
The details of this reissue are suspiciously similar to those of the ETR reissue from a few years ago. The quality will probably be just as poor as on the other MOV reissues though.

Edit: Actually, I just found a source: https://www.musiconvinyl.com/news/metal-mayhem
Looks like there are more "limited edition" reissues to come from MOV, too.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 03:24:15 PM by ProgressiveIce »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2016, 06:13:08 PM »
Is there a consensus on which DT vinyl pressings are essential? As far as sound goes. I don't care about special numberings or colors or anything like that.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Grizz

« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2016, 10:02:36 PM »
I'd say anything from SC to DTXII, but you could also just get those on HDTracks.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #147 on: May 08, 2016, 02:03:49 AM »
If you go for SC, be careful with which version you buy. The original US release has a pressing error: there's TMOLS instead of ITPOE 2 on the D side. I believe that the heavy vinyl US release doesn't have that error. Not sure if there's a later, corrected repress on normal-weight vinyl. The German pressing is also fine.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: May 12, 2016, 06:54:59 AM »
The quality will probably be just as poor as on the other MOV reissues though.

Poor? I read about some editing quirks on Score but the proper studio albums I've only seen positivity about.

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2016, 07:03:51 AM »
Poor? I read about some editing quirks on Score but the proper studio albums I've only seen positivity about.
I never searched for opinions or compared them myself, but I've heard several people complain about surface noise and audio quality (including in this thread). And at least the audio complaints make a lot of sense considering that MOV uses the CD masters rather than a proper vinyl mastering.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2016, 07:07:23 AM »
I've got I&W, LAB, and SFAM on 180g vinyl and love them all.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #151 on: May 18, 2016, 05:16:00 AM »
ETR does it right. MOV does it cheaply.
My MOV I&W was pressed off center, which caused the pitch to go up and down in every revolution.
The master is the same on the CD. The only upshot of the vinyl is in the novelty, but we all know the downsides of vinyl as a medium.
Score is not the only one with "quirky" editing. Entire drum fills were removed from Trial of Tears, and I'm pretty sure I'd notice more gaps if I listened to FII more often.
If you're listening at a high volume you hear weird drop outs between tracks; I assume this has something to do with you being able to see where tracks change.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: May 18, 2016, 09:02:33 AM »
Entire drum fills were removed from Trial of Tears

As in THE drum fills?!

Offline Grizz

« Reply #153 on: May 24, 2016, 01:39:26 PM »
No, it's one measure in the beginning. Maybe I'll demonstrate some time.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: May 24, 2016, 08:32:34 PM »
Yeah, you're gonna have to provide an example. I just compared a vinyl rip side-by-side with the CD version and aside from the time stretching caused by the variable vinyl playback speed, all the fills are exactly where they should be right up to the 6:11ish section change.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #155 on: May 27, 2016, 08:17:30 AM »
I found a local record shop that has the FII (ETR) aqua/white splash vinyl in stock for $27.99.  Picking it up later today.  Whoo hoo!

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2016, 01:56:17 AM »
As you may have noticed, I'm updating the OP regularly with the new MOV releases as I come across them. Please let me know if I missed anything; I want to keep this thread as complete as possible.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2016, 06:41:31 AM »
I got an email from Recordstore.co.uk and they are releasing a clear FII vinyl.

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2016, 06:43:51 AM »
Yep, that's the second MOV release I added to the OP just a few hours ago.  :smiley:

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2016, 07:55:12 AM »
I didn't realize the first page was massively updated. Thanks.

I will wait for the Enjoy the Ride records releases. The quality of ETR seems to be superior than the MOV releases.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2016, 10:28:20 AM »
I wish instead of different versions of existing vinyls that somebody would put out ACOS, even if just the title track and not the entire EP. It is the only DT studio material that I don't have on vinyl.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline thyer

« Reply #161 on: July 19, 2016, 10:51:32 AM »
Just arrived my Live at the Marquee from MOV and inside was all the vinyls that MOV will re-issue:

Images & Words - LP Gold and Solid Red Mix (May 2016)
Live At The Marquee - Solid Red Vinyl (June 2016)
Awake - Silver Coulored Vinyl (25 july 2015)
Falling Into Infinity - White Coulored Vinyl (August 2016)
Once In A Livetime - Blu Coulored Vinyl (September 2016)
Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From A Memory - Yellow Coulored Vinyl (October 2016)
Six Degreees Of Inner Turbulence - Orange Coulored Vinyl (November 2016)
Train Of Thought - White Coulored Vinyl (December 2016)
Live At Budokan - White Coulored Vinyl (Januart 2017)
Score - Gold Coulored Vinyl (February 2017)

I read somewhere, the ETR will not publish any DT vinyls in the future, but I don't remember the reason :-(

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2016, 03:12:02 AM »
Thanks. Weird that they call FII "white" here, but maybe they changed the colour last-minute?
Added those to the list. :smiley:

Offline dparrott

« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2016, 07:45:52 AM »
Even though I can't afford them, love seeing all the colored vinyl!  Take a lesson from them RR!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline ytsejam58

« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2016, 05:57:22 AM »
Score is on vinyl?!!  That is one of my favorite live albums!
I have Images and Words on vinyl, one of the best vinyl packagings I have seen in 2010's vinyl and one of the best sounding as well
Metropolis Part II I got a while ago but I still love it! The ending is fixed so the static plays on forever until you take the needle off. Very smart. Very beatles of you :P
And I also got Dream Theater on vinyl, I know a lot of people don't like the album but honestly, I think it's more Dream Theater than The Astonishing would ever be -.- Songs like The Looking Glass, the bigger picture, and the epic Illumination Theory keeps me coming back for me!

Ones I still want to get are Falling into Infinity (colored if possible) and Six Degrees. Everything else is give or take for me.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: July 21, 2016, 01:13:30 PM »
It would be nice if the coloured copies drove down the price of the black pressings. MOV is way too expensive. I doubt it'll happen, but there's a glimmer of hope somewhere!

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2016, 01:40:38 PM »
I guess you're talking about US imports? The prices are pretty normal here in Europe.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: July 21, 2016, 03:11:36 PM »
I guess you're talking about US imports? The prices are pretty normal here in Europe.

Yes. They're double what it costs in NA for vinyl. Atrocious considering MOV don't exactly have a history of spotless pressings. I'd understand if the price increase was because of quality control, but it's definitely not.

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #168 on: July 21, 2016, 04:09:51 PM »
Hmm. Shipping from Europe is not that expensive; for example, JPC (a large German music retailer) ships to the US for €13, apparently independently of what you order. So it probably isn't the shipping.
Customs perhaps? I'm not familiar with the situation in the US, but that's the only thing I can think of.

But yeah, it's similar for Europeans with the ETR releases – more extreme actually due to USPS's crazy shipping fees. For a $25-30 record, you'll pay an additional $50 shipping. There are cheaper options (slower and/or not registered, usually around $25), but ETR/Brookvale don't offer these... And of course, if the seller doesn't declare it as a gift or with a lower value on the customs form, you get to pay even more on arrival.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: July 21, 2016, 05:49:00 PM »
I assume they just convert from € to USD and call it a day. Currency in general is a very illogical thing, and they clearly know there is a fanbase willing to pay for DT. Makes for an automatic swindle, essentially.

That's terrible about the crazy USPS shipping. However, the German shops would have much cheaper shipping as you say – because they have the lowest shipping rates in the world. Bit unfair to compare!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #170 on: July 21, 2016, 08:31:38 PM »
It would be nice if the coloured copies drove down the price of the black pressings. MOV is way too expensive. I doubt it'll happen, but there's a glimmer of hope somewhere!

www.lasercd.com has some of the MOV releases and are based in the US. Might be a bit more expensive but the shipping is typically 3-4 bucks.

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #171 on: July 22, 2016, 04:40:26 AM »
However, the German shops would have much cheaper shipping as you say – because they have the lowest shipping rates in the world. Bit unfair to compare!
I'm not comparing to German prices; I'm aware that those are very cheap. But shipping from Canada, Japan, or South Korea is quite a bit cheaper than from the US. I'm generally looking at the cheapest registered options, by the way – I want to be sure that the parcel arrives eventually, but I don't care if it takes a bit longer. This might actually be one of the reasons why the US prices are so high: I think USPS forces you to use air mail, whereas Canada Post and other countries' post offices also offer cheaper surface shipping.

Here are some estimates for shipping 3-4 records (1 kg, 35 cm x 35 cm x 2.5 cm) from different countries to Central Europe:
  • Canada Post: CAD 19 ($14.50) for surface shipping, CAD 38 ($29) for air mail
  • Japan Post: JPY 770 ($7.30) for surface shipping, JPY 1080 ($10) for economy air mail (SAL), JPY 1860 ($17.50) for air mail
  • China Post: CNY 47.50 ($7) for surface shipping, CNY 81 ($12) for air mail; not sure how accurate this is since I couldn't find any information on the official website
  • Korea Post: KRW 14600 ($13) for surface shipping, KRW 24300 ($21) for air mail
  • USPS: $34.50 for "First-Class Package International Service" (probably air mail, but didn't find anything about that on the website)
  • Australia Post: AUD 42.47 ($32) for surface shipping (only available for 2 kg up!), AUD 36.95 ($27.70) for air mail
  • Correios (Brazil): BRL 96 ($29) for "Leve Internacional" (probably air mail, but not specified on the website)
  • Posti Group (Finland): EUR 37 ($41) for "Postal Parcel International"

Offline TheSoylentMan

• Nothing ever happens on Mars
« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2017, 11:10:32 AM »
For those interested there's a good sale at Insound this weekend including a few DT vinyl releases:

https://www.insound.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=dream+theater&order=relevance&dir=desc

Sorry for the necro thread. This seemed like a decent place to post.

Offline bunceman

« Reply #173 on: January 06, 2017, 10:34:44 PM »
For those interested there's a good sale at Insound this weekend including a few DT vinyl releases:

https://www.insound.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=dream+theater&order=relevance&dir=desc

Sorry for the necro thread. This seemed like a decent place to post.

Already have all these titles but wow what great deals!  Anybody who doesn't have these should jump on them.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #174 on: January 06, 2017, 10:37:06 PM »
Cool, thanks for the find. Just got Octavarium.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods