Author Topic: DT vinyl releases  (Read 46113 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT vinyl releases
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2014, 05:36:39 PM »
Got my RSD vinyl, but we're in the middle of moving so not sure when I'll get to listen to it.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2014, 07:20:17 PM »
i got one too  :metal
out of curiosity, what did yours cost? my friend got his for 12 but mine was 20.  still pretty cheap tho.
also got btbam's Colors Live on red vinyl  :hefdaddy
wanted Opeth's Watershed on green vinyl but everyone in philly sold out of it  :tdwn

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2014, 12:33:21 PM »
Got mine Saturday for $12.

Of course you can get one easily from ebay for more than that (in some cases a lot more.) I just checked.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2014, 10:33:32 AM »
i got one too  :metal
out of curiosity, what did yours cost? my friend got his for 12 but mine was 20.  still pretty cheap tho.
also got btbam's Colors Live on red vinyl  :hefdaddy
wanted Opeth's Watershed on green vinyl but everyone in philly sold out of it  :tdwn

I have no idea. I'll have to look when I get home

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2014, 02:56:59 PM »
Anyone got a recommendation where to buy one in Europe? I checked with the record stores in the area, none of them sold any. :tdwn Some copies on eBay and Discogs are reasonably priced (around $13), but those are all in the US, so the shipping is exorbitant...

Edit: I ended up getting a reasonably priced copy on eBay for $10.99 + $10 shipping.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 12:04:36 AM by ProgressiveIce »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2014, 08:08:07 PM »
Any news on the Awake re-issue?

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2014, 05:49:21 AM »
Nope, apart from ETR asking for photos of the labels back in January (which you already know about, but others might not).
They announced a reissue of Metropolis Pt. 2 a few days ago. I'll definitely get that one - as son_ov_hades said there, I "can never have enough copies of my favorite album on my favorite format". :)

If anyone in Europe is still looking for a reasonably priced copy of the IT RSD release, the offer I mentioned above ($10.99 + $10 shipping) is available again: https://www.ebay.com/itm/351088639100

Offline Grizz

« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2014, 03:07:01 PM »
I have the MOV I&W issue and side 1 is way off center! Anyone else have this issue? It's also got a LOT of surface noise.
I have a sealed copy of Score and was considering selling it. Any reason I shouldn't?
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2014, 03:54:41 PM »
What do you mean by "off center"? I'm really happy with the Music On Vinyl pressings, Score included. But if you don't want it, I see no reason to keep it.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Grizz

« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2014, 04:13:36 PM »
By which I mean the grooves were not concentric with the spindle hole, meaning that every revolution, the tonearm would move a bit laterally (quite noticable on speeds greater than 33+1/3). As it moved in and out, the linear velocity would change ever so slightly. By the time you've reached the long chords in surrounded the pitch was increasing then decreasing about a half step each way every .55 seconds.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2014, 04:59:32 PM »
That sounds crazy and I've never seen a record like that. I've got 1000+ records, tons are warped and a bunch have pressing errors but nothing like that. I've seen the tonearm move up and down, but never side to side.  ???
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Grizz

« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2014, 05:13:12 PM »
I've heard that it's not too rare, and that it's often the whole batch that is tainted. I think I have video of it somewhere. Anyway I boared out the hole a bit and it's better. Not perfect, but better.

Offline EnjoyTheRide

« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2014, 05:44:22 PM »
Nope, apart from ETR asking for photos of the labels back in January (which you already know about, but others might not).
They announced a reissue of Metropolis Pt. 2 a few days ago. I'll definitely get that one - as son_ov_hades said there, I "can never have enough copies of my favorite album on my favorite format". :)

If anyone in Europe is still looking for a reasonably priced copy of the IT RSD release, the offer I mentioned above ($10.99 + $10 shipping) is available again: https://www.ebay.com/itm/351088639100

Both Awake and FII repressed on Black, White and 3 Color Vinyl (2 color swirl with splatter) will be available sometime in the later summer/early fall via Brookvale Records Webstore and some retail but the color will be exclusive to ONLINE

Also We just repressed Metropolis part 2: Scenes from a memory for anyone who is interested...They went on sale earlier today

https://brookvalerecords.bigcartel.com/product/dream-theater-metropolis-pt-2-scenes-from-a-memory-180-gram-black-vinyl

Offline EnjoyTheRide

« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2014, 01:40:30 PM »
Test presses for both FII & awake were mailed to us today & will be reviewed next week once they arrive....for those interested.

After almost two years, these re-issues are finally coming to fruition. I will post any further updates on pre order and what not in the coming weeks assuming the test presses are approved

Offline EnjoyTheRide

« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2014, 10:23:41 PM »
Here are some photos of the test pressing for BOTH "Awake" & "Falling into infinity represses"

https://instagram.com/p/rR8bmeCm6x/?modal=true

I will be posting an official announcement with on sale info soon but heres a sneak preview.

They should both be available, in hand & shipping in mid october but will likely do a pre sale before then

ALSO FOR UP UPDATES UP TO DATE INFO ON BOTH THESE RE-ISSUES PLEASE FOLLOW ENJOY THE RIDE RECORDS ON ALL SOCIAL MEDIA

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/ENJOYTHERIDERECORDS

INSTAGRAM- @ENJOYTHERIDERECORDS

TWITTER  @EnjoytherideRES

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/enjoytheriderecords

Or i can be reached at Enjoytheriderecords@gmail.com   

I will have 5 test presses for Trade (for other test presses preferred) or for sale once the final releases arrive so if interested then email or Private message me here to discuss. We are getting custom hand screen printed & numbered jackets made up as well but are in the process of being designed

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2014, 08:00:33 AM »

Offline EnjoyTheRide

« Reply #121 on: September 29, 2014, 10:49:07 AM »

will be on sale 10.17 via https://enjoytheride.storenvy.com/ & Brookvale records webstore

We will also have a couple test presses for trade or sale, again with screen printed jackets & hand numbered /24

The web exclusive variants are

Awake......Gold/Grey Swirl with Electric Blue Splatter which should match the cover perfectly

&

Falling Into Infinity- Ocean Blue swirl (Light & Dark Blue meant to resememble ocean waves) with White Splatter

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2014, 02:41:05 PM »
wow, the FII splatter looks REALLY good.

sucks that y'all had to split HK and LITS, though...

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2014, 06:37:28 PM »
Those splatter colored vinyls are some the best looking vinyls I've ever seen, especially the FII one. Will definitely purchase those!  :tup

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2014, 01:36:45 AM »
Music On Vinyl is also going to reissue Awake soon, namely in November: https://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/dream-theater/awake
They'll also release a SFAM reissue a week from now: https://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/dream-theater/metropolis-part-2-scenes-from-a-memory

I find their release dates quite interesting: their Awake release is due 2014-11-17, exactly one month after ETR's release becomes available, and the SFAM release is released on October 6 when ETR's release was on June 10 (month and day swapped). Coincidence?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #125 on: September 30, 2014, 04:31:19 AM »
Music On Vinyl is also going to reissue Awake soon, namely in November: https://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/dream-theater/awake
They'll also release a SFAM reissue a week from now: https://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/dream-theater/metropolis-part-2-scenes-from-a-memory

I find their release dates quite interesting: their Awake release is due 2014-11-17, exactly one month after ETR's release becomes available, and the SFAM release is released on October 6 when ETR's release was on June 10 (month and day swapped). Coincidence?

Awesome! I like the MOV releases a lot.

I would be interested in a Enjoy the Ride version of Awake (I have no experience with them), but Europe only gets a white one (I prefer having my vinyls in the good old black, unless there is some deeper reason to have a certain color).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #126 on: September 30, 2014, 10:41:59 AM »
wow, the FII splatter looks REALLY good.

sucks that y'all had to split HK and LITS, though...

This! It would've been the ultimate vinyl side had it been the complete run of BMS-HK-LITS.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Grizz

« Reply #127 on: September 30, 2014, 02:12:54 PM »
I burned a boot CD and had to split The Mirror/Lie. Just the way it goes.

I would be interested in a Enjoy the Ride version of Awake (I have no experience with them), but Europe only gets a white one (I prefer having my vinyls in the good old black, unless there is some deeper reason to have a certain color).
ETR claims to have superior releases. That's a no-duh statement from an advertising standpoint  they claim to have a better proprocess. Perhaps he can elaborate here.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2014, 03:52:35 PM »
I burned a boot CD and had to split The Mirror/Lie. Just the way it goes.

ETR claims to have superior releases. That's a no-duh statement from an advertising standpoint  they claim to have a better proprocess. Perhaps he can elaborate here.

Ah, interesting. But yeah, maybe I will try to get my hands on the white vinyl anyways. I have no clue which EU retailers (Dutch?) are included, however. My guess is not a lot, as it is pretty limited.

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2014, 03:27:57 AM »
Just in case someone missed it: the Awake and FII splatter LPs are available for preorder: https://enjoytheride.storenvy.com/ and/or https://brookvalerecords.bigcartel.com/
See also https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=42438

Offline Grizz

« Reply #130 on: October 05, 2014, 08:55:46 PM »
DAMMIT! Moving the preorder to when I'm broke... why I oughta...

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #131 on: April 04, 2015, 11:18:27 AM »
I just ordered I&W, SFAM, and LAB. Pretty sure they are all 180 gram. I can't for them to arrive  :metal :metal I'm really looking forward to hearing how LAB sounds. That's easily my favorite DT release.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2016, 08:21:37 AM »
Got a copy of Score on vinyl for Christmas and finally got around to listening to it last night (up through Six Degrees Part 1). It all sounded great, but was a bit confused at the way some of the songs were altered. Another Won, for example, at the end of the song, rather than just fading out before the band starts Afterlife, there's a surge of crowd noise that fades out instead of the song itself. Then on the fliip side, Afterlife is missing the first 5 beats of the song (the four beat count off, and then the first beat of the song). It just starts right away with the guitar riff. Sounded very strange. A similar thing happened with Raise the Knife where the beginning was cut off (I imagine due to time constraints). Anyone else noticing differences between the vinyls and their CD counterparts?
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2016, 12:19:44 PM »
Got a copy of Score on vinyl for Christmas and finally got around to listening to it last night (up through Six Degrees Part 1). It all sounded great, but was a bit confused at the way some of the songs were altered. Another Won, for example, at the end of the song, rather than just fading out before the band starts Afterlife, there's a surge of crowd noise that fades out instead of the song itself. Then on the fliip side, Afterlife is missing the first 5 beats of the song (the four beat count off, and then the first beat of the song). It just starts right away with the guitar riff. Sounded very strange. A similar thing happened with Raise the Knife where the beginning was cut off (I imagine due to time constraints). Anyone else noticing differences between the vinyls and their CD counterparts?

Thanks for posting this. I'm quite worried about stuff like this, especially with Score being so enormous(ly expensive). I'd consider the info you posted a dealbreaker. It doesn't even make sense with the songs you mentioned, since there were an extra couple of minutes usable on those sides to ensure nothing had to be cut – it's completely unnecessary.

If you don't mind, could you please post this on the Discogs entry? People need to know.

In terms of other changes, the splitting of "Hell's Kitchen" and "Lines in the Sand" comes to mind, but that was actually done properly – no shitty cuts or fades, just the actual songs 'cropped' from one another. There's even a bit of gurgly synth stuff at the very start of LITS you'd never hear on the CD because of the loud end of HK. I was pleasantly surprised... too bad the cover art is marred by scanner moiré.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2016, 02:48:30 PM »

Wow.  I've held off on the vinyl because because I never found any information on mastering and sourcing. 

Adding this to the concern pile.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2016, 11:09:32 PM »
Damn, should've followed through with that trade with you when I initiated it two years ago!

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2016, 04:24:22 AM »
True, though I haven't heard of any further vinyl reissues than those listed in the OP. Were there any? (Note that I never intended to list entirely new releases like DT12 and TA.)

I don't think I'll attempt building a list of all vinyl releases (i.e. including the original pressings of Awake/LATM etc.) for now since I already have another project going that will probably cover this. Expect a thread about that in half a year or so.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2016, 10:18:14 AM »

Wow.  I've held off on the vinyl because because I never found any information on mastering and sourcing. 

Adding this to the concern pile.

The Music On Vinyl (MOV) vinyls are direct transfers from the CD source. The Enjoy the Ride records are remastered for vinyl as far as I know.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2016, 11:28:20 AM »
MOV has been fucking with the recordings to better fit a cheap pressing, gutting a measure here or there and such. The pressings were badly done too; Images and Words was off center to the point of notable pitch changing and it took a bit of fuckery with an Xacto knife to get it tolerable.
I've heard that ETR also just takes CD masters but I'm not sure. This could've been a complaint about it only being 44.1 or something, was a while ago.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2016, 11:58:43 AM »
MOV has been fucking with the recordings to better fit a cheap pressing, gutting a measure here or there and such. The pressings were badly done too; Images and Words was off center to the point of notable pitch changing and it took a bit of fuckery with an Xacto knife to get it tolerable.
I've heard that ETR also just takes CD masters but I'm not sure. This could've been a complaint about it only being 44.1 or something, was a while ago.

The ETR website says FII and Awake were remastered for vinyl. I don't think SFAM and Images were remastered though.