Author Topic: Star Trek Into Darkness [ Spoilers ]  (Read 26041 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness [ Spoilers ]
« Reply #280 on: September 18, 2013, 05:51:53 AM »
Nothing funny about it. He was perfectly cast. Any issues I have there is with the writing for him, but not his performance. He's not as good as Nimoy of course, but he does a great job of capturing the subtlety of Spock's delivery without being in any danger of parody like some of the other characters.

It was a reply to the post above. Should have been more like Funny that...People have been praising him ( etc ) .

i love karl urban's impression of bones. i thought he did a very good job as well.

I think the big 3 are all perfect. Then Sulu. Scotty is my least favourite as Pegg plays him nothing like Doohan at all.

He's basically just Pegg being Peeg with a slightly scots accent.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #281 on: September 18, 2013, 02:24:09 PM »
Finally caught this, enjoyed it thoroughly. I so wish they had saved the "needs of the many" line for when Kirk was in the warp core.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: September 18, 2013, 02:30:33 PM »
I think then it would have ben too much of the original scene in one place and only fans of Wrath Of Khan would have appreciated it.

I liked how they just had " you'll flood the whole compartment " " Better get down here, better hurry " & " Out of danger " .

Just subtle references to WOK but not the entire scene verbatim.

I like the extras on the DVD too. There's one just about the USS Vengeance - which pleased me greatly ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #283 on: September 18, 2013, 09:00:34 PM »
What deleted scenes are there on this one (I assume there are some, as most new movies include them)?

I'm just wondering if they cut all of the stuff that holds the story together like last time. They cut some good stuff from ST11!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #284 on: September 18, 2013, 10:25:17 PM »
I liked Karl Urban in the first reboot, but in the second his spiel got kinda one-dimensional. I mean, realistically, as one-dimensional as the original McCoy, but I don't think they needed to emulate that too.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: September 19, 2013, 02:26:45 AM »
What deleted scenes are there on this one (I assume there are some, as most new movies include them)?

I'm just wondering if they cut all of the stuff that holds the story together like last time. They cut some good stuff from ST11!

There are none on my DVD & none on the Blu Ray.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: September 19, 2013, 12:34:58 PM »
I had no problem with any of the casting. I didn't like some of the characterizations but that is a different issue.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: October 13, 2013, 05:08:59 PM »
I've been watching a lot of "making of" the first couple of films and it's actually funny that people had similar complaints of the first two films that people have had of JJ's Trek.

The Enterprise revealed in 1979 was " nothing like the TV show " √

They changed too much ( Bennett & Meyer ) √

The director knows nothing about Star Trek √

Etc. I love Into Darkness more and more every time I watch it and can easily put it on and be entertained for 2 hours.

The biggest thing that bugs me about STID is Kronos. It looked too much like a set and I couldn't really tell if it was supposed to be inside or outside.

That whole sequence looked a bit cheap to me :dunno:

I *loved* the whole warp trail instantly. I thought it was really beautiful and was a lot better than the TNG thing of seeing a flash of light in the distance.

The warp trail was like " That's where the ship just went to - way off in the distance and it took less than a second ".

To me it's like an updated 2013 version of the kaleidoscope warp trail in the first two movies.

I think this film will be remembered a lot more fondly in the future after all is said and done. Apparently - another poll was done at a more recent convention -

- and instead of coming 12th - it came a much more respectable 6th out of 12 movies. It's top 5 for me easily and I cannot wait for the next one.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: October 13, 2013, 09:15:17 PM »
I think Into Darkness will only go down in future for being a hugely derivative and unoriginal/uninspired Trek movie. It will not age well at all. Trek 2009 will fare a lot better though. Solid movie.

I don't have a problem with the director knowing nothing about Star Trek, I'd just rather a director who wasn't so obviously wishing he was doing Star Wars instead.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #289 on: October 13, 2013, 10:54:34 PM »
And speaking of Kronos, why would the Klingons look completely different in this one? New timeline, fine. That doesn't alter appearances, though. I don't mind the helmets, although it seemed a bit odd, but the different faces made no sense.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: October 13, 2013, 11:52:45 PM »
BUT THEY LOOKED DIFFERENT IN THE MOTION PICTURE COMPARED TO THE ORIGINAL SERIES TOO SO THEREFORE THAT ARGUMENT IS INVALID.

Just getting in before that one pops up. :lol

JJ must have a thing for generic goblins because the Romulans and Klingons all just look like Nosferatu now. Great idea! Let's take two of the most distinctive and iconic long standing Trek races, and make them look indistinguishable and unidentifiable!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #291 on: October 14, 2013, 12:35:35 AM »
The way he showed the Klingons really annoyed me. Looked more like some body-modding conference than Klingons.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."