Author Topic: Prog metal from Finland: The Storyline - Unchained [Full HD]  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
Prog metal from Finland: The Storyline - Unchained [Full HD]
« on: October 07, 2013, 02:35:36 PM »
Hi guys,

Here's a new music video of our song "Unchained" filmed in Full HD. I hope you enjoy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3halXv1b40

Let me know what you think!

- Tiko
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:24:27 PM by Tiko »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Prog metal from Finland: The Storyline - Unchained [Full HD]
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 12:43:49 PM »
That song is killer  :metal

Nice job on the video too.

Do you guys have an album?  I'd buy it right now.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 01:47:22 AM »
I feel some heavy DT and Opeth influences... :biggrin:
And great job with the video! Minimalistic look, perfectly executed, with style and atmosphere to spare. Good stuff.

Greetings...
Nef

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 05:15:29 PM »
Hot damn that was great!!! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tiko

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 02:01:45 AM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. We're already working on our next song!
Btw I also engineered, mixed, produced and mastered the song and did the video myself :)

We have lots of songs we'll be publishing in the near future... so stay tuned!

- Tiko

Offline Tiko

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 09:45:08 PM »

Offline adastra

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 01:39:43 AM »
This is great!  Onneksi olkoon!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Tiko

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 11:50:36 AM »
This is great!  Onneksi olkoon!

Kiitos!  :)

- Tiko

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 11:30:59 PM »
I really dig this.  The song itself really grooves in it's own heavy way, I really like that.  Reminds me ALOT of As I Am, which is fine. 

Your singer was a very pleasant surprise.  He's got a killer voice, and sings with a ton of passion - it's great! 

I'm assuming you're the keyboard player - I really like your playing.  Some keyboardists tend to feel they need to ALWAYS be playing or adding something, and your instinct to lay back enough when it wouldn't add anything is smart.  You're sounds are great too - what do you use? Just the Kurzweil? 

Guitarists do a nice job.  Wish there was a bit more from the rhythm player, maybe it's just the fact I'm listening to the mix through earbuds off a YouTube stream.  Your lead does a GREAT job with his solo.  Love that!

Bass player and drummer are also really great.

The video work is also really cool.  It looks great, especially in 1080p.  What did you use to film it?  I love the low key lighting you used - provides a great ambience to the video.  Very stark and bold, I love it.

Great job, dude.  You guys are killer, and I look forward to hearing/seeing more.  I echo the sentiment of some of the other guys, I'd gladly throw some money at you all for a CD.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 03:00:05 AM »
Great video. Onneksi olkoon loistavasta kappaleesta!  :metal

You've got an amazing band, though maybe I'd liked more of the rhythm guitar.

Offline Tiko

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 06:42:42 AM »
I really dig this.  The song itself really grooves in it's own heavy way, I really like that.  Reminds me ALOT of As I Am, which is fine. 

Your singer was a very pleasant surprise.  He's got a killer voice, and sings with a ton of passion - it's great! 

I'm assuming you're the keyboard player - I really like your playing.  Some keyboardists tend to feel they need to ALWAYS be playing or adding something, and your instinct to lay back enough when it wouldn't add anything is smart.  You're sounds are great too - what do you use? Just the Kurzweil? 

Guitarists do a nice job.  Wish there was a bit more from the rhythm player, maybe it's just the fact I'm listening to the mix through earbuds off a YouTube stream.  Your lead does a GREAT job with his solo.  Love that!

Bass player and drummer are also really great.

The video work is also really cool.  It looks great, especially in 1080p.  What did you use to film it?  I love the low key lighting you used - provides a great ambience to the video.  Very stark and bold, I love it.

Great job, dude.  You guys are killer, and I look forward to hearing/seeing more.  I echo the sentiment of some of the other guys, I'd gladly throw some money at you all for a CD.

First of all, thanks man! I really appreciate that you took the time to analyze your response like that.

As for the keys (you're right, that's my instrument) I think you're absolutely right. In this kind of music the drums, bass & guitars really are the driving force.
The music would work without any keys, so it's very important to think when to play and what to play as a keyboardist.
And thanks, that's the biggest compliment I could get as I try to plan & write my parts with a great deal of thought behind them.

Most of my sounds come from my Kurz, but there are some VST's thrown in too. For strings, choirs and pads I mix the Kurzweil with Omnisphere. These two work really well together.
For brass sounds everything else except that trumpet line under the guitar solo (that's Kurzweil) come from Eastwest's Hollywood Brass.

The video was shot on a Canon 7D using Magic Lantern's raw video. I love the image quality with that hack, it's unbelievable.
I wanted to create a simple yet visually appealing look for the video and I think it turned out great :) Thanks for the feedback here too.

Here comes the good news: we have several songs tracked and we're already shooting a video for our next song.  :metal

I'll post new material here but if you want to see behind the scenes stuff and get updates about each release our FB page is the place for that: www.fb.com/storylineofficial

Thanks again analogkid, I appreciate your feedback!  :tup

- Tiko

Offline Tiko

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 06:43:53 AM »
Great video. Onneksi olkoon loistavasta kappaleesta!  :metal

You've got an amazing band, though maybe I'd liked more of the rhythm guitar.

Thanks mr Viking, good to see fellow finns here too :) Don't worry, we have more material coming out with more rhythm guitars and ass kicking riffs ;)

Stay tuned!

- Tiko