Author Topic: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. IT'S OVER. FINALLY.  (Read 18729 times)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. Prog Metal from each decade! 38-36
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2013, 02:36:41 PM »
Sorry guys,no update today. But 5 albums tomorrow!  :metal

Edit:Only 3 cause I'm lazy.  :lol
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:46:25 PM by Lolzeez »

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. Progressive Post Avant Garde Metal 35-33
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2013, 01:52:09 PM »
35.Pain Of Salvation - The Perfect Element Part 1 (2000)

Okay,we're now getting into 10/10 albums territory. I prefer TPE over RL for two reasons. 1.TPE has the best PoS song (Idioglossia) and 2.TPE was one of my first non DT prog metal albums. This album means a lot to me. Gildengow,not only as a singer but also as a songwriter is one of the greatest of all time imo. Not only the band writes some of the coolest concept albums, But also some of the greatest music from the past decade. Gildengow's vocals are filled with raw emotion and he's also a wonderful lyricist. The best part of any PoS album is that the listener is always interested to understand what's going on. It just sucks you in! Now,how is the album musically? It's progressive metal but with like an epic twist that will grab you throughout the whole thing.

Genre:Progressive Metal
Favorite Tracks:Idioglossia,The Perfect Element

34.Leprous - Bilateral (2011)

The first minute of this album is one of the greatest minutes I've ever witnessed in music. Bilateral has such a badass chorus dangit. The album is a little more on the avant garde side of things which is always interesting to hear. Leprous is one of the most innovative prog bands in a while. Their songs aren't as long as most prog metal bands but man do they pack a punch. Restless and Thorn are perfect examples. They have the feel of an 18 minute prog epic but they're only 3-5 minutes! That's just insane! The vocals are really interesting,they are growly but there's a bunch of clean vocal too. There are moments where my jaw literally drop every time. The song Forced Entry is the perfect example and could very well be my favorite Leprous song. All in all,this album fucking rules.

Genre:Progressive/Avant Garde Metal
Favorite Tracks:Forced Entry,Thorn

33.Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun (1999)

Sigur Ros has always been a weird band for me. Their music isn't exactly Post Rock. It's more like Dream Pop + Post Rock and on this album,the Dream Pop is apparent a little more than the others. This album has my 3 absolute favorite Sigur Ros tracks. Svefn-g-englar,Olsen Olsen and the title track. After a short reversed vocal intro,we're introduced to Svefn-g-englar (Sleepwalkers) which is one of the most touching music I've ever heard. I don't understand Icelandic or whatever language this is,but I can feel the raw emotion Jonsi is putting on the vocals. The next track, Staralfur has those beautiful strings and the kick drums have a firework-ish sound to them which just adds to the track. Olsen Olsen has that beautiful flute after the gorgeous chorus and the title track is a little more on the post rock side of things where the song has a slow flow with excellent instrumentation and then it opens up revealing some fresh feels for you. I love this album.

Genre:Post Rock,Dream Pop
Favorite Tracks:Svefn-g-englar,Olsen Olsen,Agaetis Bryjun

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2013, 02:24:24 PM »
Massive thumbs up for both TPE and Bilateral. Although Idioglossia is not the best PoS, by a long stretch. Forced Entry by Leprous is however amazing and might as well be my own favourite Leprous tune.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2013, 02:37:51 PM »
I've been meaning to try out Leprous. Entropia is my favorite PoS album, though I know most of the hardcore fans will scoff at me for that. Sigur Ros is stellar, but I prefer ( ), Kveikur, and Takk...
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
Bilateral!!!  :heart

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2013, 06:05:23 PM »
Bilateral I've only heard some of. Love the other two though. :hefdaddy

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2013, 06:09:56 PM »
Great update! I love TPE and Agaetis Byrjun. I like Leprous as well, though I have only heard Coal.

Offline adace

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2013, 06:55:09 PM »
Bilateral and Agaetis Byrjun :hefdaddy

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2013, 08:46:15 PM »
Great update! I love TPE and Agaetis Byrjun. I like Leprous as well, though I have only heard Coal.
BILATERAL NOW.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2013, 08:53:06 PM »
I love Agaetis Byrjun. Got to check out Leprous.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2013, 01:43:50 PM »
32.Tool - Aenima (1996)

Aenima is a really dark and one gem of an album. It requires repeated listens to uncover what lies within but those who challenge the album will be rewarded with one of the best not just Prog Metal but also one of the best Metal albums of all time. I don't know what's the best part of Aenima, the consistently excellent set of songs or how mature it sounds. The album opens up with Stinkfist,one of the dirtiest songs on the album. The lyrics are pretentious but in a good Tool-esque way. It's easy to see that Aenima is influenced heavily from some of the heavy grunge bands with downtuned guitars and that sweet bass on every single song and of course,Maynard's vocals are his best. Another favorite of mine is Jimmy,the most underrated Tool song. The song has one of the coolest intros from the band. My personal favorite is the title track. That chorus is so powerful that it could destroy a gigantic machine. It's rules. Anyways,this is a must listen if you have not yet.

Genre:Progressive Metal,Alternative Metal
Favorite Tracks:Stinkfist,Jimmy,Aenima,Third Eye

31.Symphony X - V (2000)

Now I wasn't sure if I preferred Divine Wings over V but as a whole,V is much more fun. Sure,it doesn't have an over 20 minute song. Sure,it has couple songs that can't be listened by themselves at all. But,as a complete hour of music,it's very balanced and fun to listen to. It doesn't get me tired unlike Divine Wings and the fillers are still enjoyable unlike The Odyssey. Evolution (The Grand Design) is the first proper song on the album and it has one of the greatest vocal performances from Allen. His voice isn't as "tough guy wannabe" as the next albums which is just how I like it. The song also has a really sweet chorus. Fallen is up next and it has a really cool unison. Communion And The Oracle is a little like The Accolade but slowed down for a bigger focus on the atmosphere and it does the job perfectly as it might very well be my favorite song on the album. Egypt is another highlight. It has always reminded me of Home because of the African sound the keyboards have. It's a really enjoyable track. Absence Of Light and Fool's Paradise are easily the catchiest songs on the album and will be stuck in your head for a long time. Rediscovery is the epic of the album and it's really interesting. It's a good thing they didn't try to make it 20 minutes and overdo it. 12 minutes is perfect for a closer for this album. Anyways, V is currently my favorite SX album BUT if you're new to the band,start with Divine Wings.

Genre:Progressive Metal with Power Metal elements
Favorite Tracks:Every single song is amazing but Communion And The Oracle is my favorite.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN,WE'RE ENTERING THE TOP 30 TOMORROW!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. DTFcore 32-31
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2013, 02:15:43 PM »
Ænima is a cool album, although I'm rarely in the mood for Tool.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2013, 03:24:43 PM »
The title track on Aenima is something special.  As I'm older now I can't build up my rage enough to listen to it often, but that is on the short list of first rate release-my-rage and fuck-the-world songs.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2013, 03:30:25 PM »
The title track on Aenima is something special.  As I'm older now I can't build up my rage enough to listen to it often, but that is on the short list of first rate release-my-rage and fuck-the-world songs.
That and the entire Rage Against The Machine self titled.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »
Aenima! :metal

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2013, 04:58:16 PM »
I'm rarely in the mood for Tool.

This, and when I am it's typically Lateralus that I go to. Still a great album though, particularly the title track.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2013, 08:32:26 PM »
Ænima is a cool album, although I'm rarely in the mood for Tool.
Same.

I used to really like Symphony X, but I kind of got tired of them (and a lot of other progressive metal). V is a good album though.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2013, 10:27:38 PM »
Aenima is awesome! Nice to see it on a list.

On the other hand, I'm one the few here who can't stand Symphony X. I just don't like anything about them.

Offline Onno

« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2013, 03:21:36 AM »
AEnima is really cool but I dislike SX :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2013, 04:44:12 AM »

And I'm the exact opposite.  V is a great album.  Can't stand Tool.  I tried, but found no redeeming qualities.  I'd sooner listen to Nickelback.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ruba

« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2013, 09:28:16 AM »
Will listen to Aenima sometime. Lateralus is cool.

Offline adace

« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2013, 10:50:32 PM »
Both those albums are great!

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2013, 01:53:58 AM »
4 of the last 5 and 5 of the last 7 would be strong candidates for my top 50.

and yes, to anyone that hasn't spun Bilateral, quit committing ear cruelty and get to it, posthaste.

Offline Onno

« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2013, 03:29:08 AM »

And I'm the exact opposite.  V is a great album.  Can't stand Tool.  I tried, but found no redeeming qualities.  I'd sooner listen to Nickelback.
I'd find it hard to choose between SX and Nickelback but I would probably go with SX.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2013, 06:21:17 AM »
I don't care for Symphony X at all, but Aenima is amazing.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2013, 10:28:01 AM »
Sorry for no update yesterday,I'm playing some Pokemon X.  :biggrin:

Today's update is coming in couple hours.

Maybe.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2013, 01:24:35 AM »
Sorry for no updates for the past couple days. I'm sick as hell and my mom was smart enough to spill water all over my computer which I barely saved.  :|

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. 2 awesome albums (Entering top 30)
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2013, 09:55:09 AM »
30.Carcass - Heartwork (1993)

Heartwork is the greatest melodeath album of all time. (imo) This album could be classified as "In The Court Of The Crimson King" of Death Metal. The thing that is really attractive about this album is how balanced it really is. There is a ton of melody and brutality at the same time,making an awesome combination. The guitar solos are really much more melodic than you would expect from a Death Metal band. The skull crushing riffs are over the top and straight up solid and the guitar duo of Bill Steer and Michael Amott really make this album shine. The album is very consistent with almost zero drop in quality maybe with the exception of No Love Lost as it is my least favorite on the album. The rest of the songs are as good as they can get. I just can't decide a favorite. It's that good.

Genre:Melodic Death Metal
Least Favorite Track:No Love Lost

29.Alcest - Ecailles De Lune (2010)

Now,I have heard this only like a month ago! But,I have been listening to this almost everyday since then. Thanks to Zantera,I now love Alcest. Every single album is just mind blowingly good and while the shoegaze + post rock + black metal idea sounds insane,it really works. Look at the recent Sunbather for an example. Ecailles De Lune (The title track and yes both parts) is one of the greatest songs I've heard in a while. Neige's vocals may sound weird at first but later,it is easy to notice that his voice fits the music and the lyrics perfectly. The lyrics are in french,a language that I'm trying to learn which makes the album even cooler since French doesn't fit music too nicely for the most part. Neige proved me wrong. My absolute favorite track is the third track on the album, Percees De Lumiere. The song has an awesome riff and is slightly heavier than the previous songs. Something about it is just unbelievably pleasant. Is it the amazing instrumentation? The awesome black metal vocals? I don't know. Abysses is a transition song but it does its' job perfectly and leads us into Solar Song which is my least favorite track on the album (minus Abysses) but it still is gorgeous and more dream like than the other songs. The song makes me feel like I'm floating in space with some really cute girl and the burn on the sun together. It's good. Sur L'Ocean Couleur De Fer is the closer and also the slowest track on the album,creating an excellent atmosphere. This is more on the Post Rock side of things and closes the album perfectly. Overall,this is one of the most unique and amazing albums I've ever heard and deserves the 29th spot on this list.

Genre:Blackgaze
Favorite Tracks:Today it is Percees De Lumiere

Thanks to Zantera for introducing me to this amazing album. I should have given you a 10/10. Sorry :biggrin

Offline Ruba

Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. 2 Awesome Albums (Entering the top 30!)
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2013, 10:45:26 AM »
That Alcest album is the only one from them I have heard yet. I like it, but it hasn't yet really opened to me.

Percées de Lumière is fantastic indeed!  :metal

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2013, 11:25:37 AM »
Alcest is incredible. Not sure which album of theirs is my favorite, but Ecailles de Lune is a great choice!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2013, 11:26:46 AM »
Alcest is incredible. Not sure which album of theirs is my favorite, but Ecailles de Lune is a great choice!
Les Voyages De L'Ame is amazing too. In fact,It's almost just as good as Ecailles.

Offline adace

« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2013, 12:17:43 PM »
Great to see some love for Carcass on DTF :tup

And that Alcest album is just phenomenal. :hefdaddy

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2013, 01:34:11 PM »
Great to see the love for Alcest! And I'm happy I introduced you to them. :)

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2013, 06:49:19 PM »
You've already heard Edge of Sanity - Crimson, Lolzeez?
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2013, 01:50:40 AM »
You've already heard Edge of Sanity - Crimson, Lolzeez?
Yes,I have. Kickass album.