Author Topic: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. IT'S OVER. FINALLY.  (Read 18726 times)

Offline ColdFireYYZ

Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. Jazz,Prog,Pop/Prog
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2013, 02:42:44 PM »
Fantastic update!!! :tup :tup
All three albums are great. Heavy Weather was one of my first fusion albums, and ELP's s/t is probably my second favorite album of theirs, after Tarkus.

Addicted is so much fun to listen to, and it's easily my favorite and most frequently played DT album. The combination of Anneke and Devin on vocals is perfect; both of them work so well together.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 02:52:38 PM by ColdFireYYZ »

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2013, 02:50:55 PM »
Yay! Heavy Weather is really cool and Addicted! is mindblowing.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2013, 03:23:33 PM »
3 great ones. :tup

Offline adace

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2013, 03:29:17 PM »
Addicted is amazing. The other two are great, but I haven't listened to them a whole lot.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2013, 08:40:41 AM »
44.Spock's Beard - Beware Of Darkness (1996)

On my previous list,I made a mistake by putting V instead of this. I really don't know what I was thinking. Anyways,now that I've seen the light,(get it?) I prefer BoD to V. Come on now,which album has the classics like The Doorway,Walking On The Wind,Waste Away and Time Has Come? This is easily the most consistent SB album. There is not ONE track that is god awful (Aaaaaall on a sundaaaay) on this amazing record. Belive it or not,this was the last SB album from the Neal era that I heard. Why? I don't know. Anyways,this album has my favorite SB track,The Doorway. While not as long as At The End Of The Day and as "epic" as The Light,The Doorway will remain my favorite for obvious reasons. The piano intro reminds me of Firth Of Fifth which is my second favorite Genesis song. And then when the vocals come in,It just sounds cool. It's the minor details on this song (and album pretty much) that make it so enjoyable. Walking On The Wind is another favorite of mine. When that song begins it's like "Okay let's listen to some of this. (keyboard) WOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" or we can just say that the song has a nice intro. :lol I also really like the jazzier moments in the middle of the song. Like I said before "The minor details are the only way to improve an awesome album and to elevate the sound." Waste Away is a SB classic. A great song for ending a concert. Kinda like Closer To The Heart from Rush. Time Has Come is the longest track on the album. And it has some of the coolest keyboard work I've ever heard from SB. Neal also does an excellent job on vocals. Reminds me of Peter Gabriel at times. Anyways,this is an awesome prog rock album and if you haven't heard it yet,go ahead and do yourself a favor.

Genre:Progressive Rock
Favorite Track:The Doorway

43.Peter Gabriel - So (1986)

I really wanted to put Up on here instead since that album has a really special place in my heart. But So is probably the better album. I mean come on,this album has Red Rain,Sledgehammer,Don't Give Up,Mercy Street,Big Time and the awesome In Your Eyes. In case I haven't told you before,seeing Peter Gabriel live was my first step to prog. It really was. Even though his solo albums have nothing to do with prog (for the most part) it was the song Big Time that made me research his discography on my good old Windows 98 PC. Good times,bad internet. There isn't much to say about this album really. The songs speak for themselves. This beats anything from Genesis post Gabriel. ANYTHING. Thank you Peter Gabriel for all the fun times.

Genre:I'm guessing Art Pop since Pop doesn't really fit.
Favorite Tracks:Clash between Red Rain,Sledgehammer and Mercy Street.

42.Frank Zappa - Hot Rats (1969)

Oh man. It pains me to not be able to have this album higher. Hot Rats is just an amazing fusion/prog album. Frank Zappa is one of the most unique musicians that I have ever heard. His music ranges from Jazz Fusion to Satirical (Classics like Hot Poop…) and from prog to blues rock. He has done it all. To me,he's up there with Bach,Mozart and Chopin. This album doesn't have the funny aspect of most Mothers Of Invention BUT Hot Rats is a little jazzier. Songs like Peaches En Regalia and It Must Be A Camel are fun and short fusion tracks with excellent riffs and memorable moments. But songs like Willie The Pimp are just filled with solos and jams. These moments are what make Hot Rats so special. Rest in peace Frank. You are missed.

Genre:Jazz Fusion,Progressive Rock
Favorite Tracks:Peaches En Regalia,Willie The Pimp,It Must Be A Camel
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 01:15:41 PM by Lolzeez »

Offline Onno

Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. I WANNA BE A SLEDGEHAMMER! 44-42
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2013, 09:38:10 AM »
Hot Rats is very cool.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2013, 10:51:02 AM »
Hot Rats rules, as does So. I've not heard Beware Of Darkness, but yeah. SLEDGEHAMMER
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2013, 10:56:38 AM »
So  :heart

One of my favorite albums of all time as well.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2013, 11:06:55 AM »
Oh and I forgot to mention,my vinyl copy of Hot Rats sounds a little more different than the other releases. That's because the first press (the one I proudly own) sounds kinda weird. Like Peaches En Regalia sounds more chaotic and Willie The Pimp has the first 3 seconds missing. This is really weird...

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2013, 11:28:31 AM »
Just went and read page one. Holy balls. Heavy Weather is awesome, and I need to get more Weather Report. ELP's debut has some nice stuff on it, especially the first half. I love those three songs so damn much. Dummy is one I love a lot, and White Light/White Heat just rules. I think I'll listen to it when this album's finished. A friend of mine got me to get it a few years ago, and eventually I went and got the debut as well, but was underwhelmed because (in my friend's words) "it wasn't wierd enough" after WLWH.

Definitely following this I am.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2013, 11:40:07 AM »
Another great update!!

Beware of Darkness was one of my least favorite SB albums for a while, but eventually it clicked. It's in my top 5 SB albums, and The Doorway is one of my favorites of theirs.

In a way, I'm glad that Gabriel left Genesis as we got incredible albums like So. I love everything on that album, especially Red Rain.

Hot Rats is amazing as well.  :tup

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2013, 12:55:23 PM »
In a way, I'm glad that Gabriel left Genesis as we got incredible albums like So. I love everything on that album, especially Red Rain.
Honestly,he probably would have made solo albums if he stayed with Genesis. Kinda like Phil Collins. We'd also get more albums like Sel-

Okay let's stop there.  ;)

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2013, 01:07:55 PM »
Honestly,he probably would have made solo albums if he stayed with Genesis. Kinda like Phil Collins. We'd also get more albums like Sel-

I wonder if the solo albums would've been of the same quality if he stayed with Genesis. I also think the band would have pretty much gone in the same direction if Gabriel stayed (and, FWIW, I like most of the Collins-era) But, I digress...

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2013, 02:48:23 PM »

I wonder if the solo albums would've been of the same quality if he stayed with Genesis. I also think the band would have pretty much gone in the same direction if Gabriel stayed (and, FWIW, I like most of the Collins-era) But, I digress...
Only Genesis albums that I don't enjoy from the Collins era are Abacab and Invisible Touch.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2013, 01:14:49 PM »
41.Gang Of Four - Entertainment! (1979)

Punk is one of the genres that I'm very picky with. I enjoy some Post Hardcore and the band Television (maybe Wire too…) but that's about it. BESIDES Gang Of Four that is. Now this album is a little weird. It is punk but a little more danceable. The first time I heard it,I kinda hated it. Yes,straight up hated it and found it to be overrated as heck. Couple weeks later Damaged Goods comes up on my shuffle and I freaking loved it. Then couple YEARS later,I see the vinyl at some record store in London. It was 5 pounds and I kinda took a chance. Fast forward a year aka now,I fucking love this album. Each track has a sweet groove to it and the album is just fun to hear.

Genre:Post Punk
Favorite Tracks:Either,Damaged Goods,At Home He's A Tourist

40.American Football - Self Titled (1999)

Even though I absolutely hate the word,I'm a teenager. And this album is just the greatest "feels" album ever. American Football disbanded not even after a year this album was recorded which is a shame because their self titled has such a cult following in Indie Rock,Post Rock,Emo and even some Jazz Fusion elements! It really is the perfect mixture of those genres you'll ever find… and probably the only one. :lol But still,the lyrics are quite angsty which usually annoys me but on this album it fits the music perfectly. This is the perfect album to listen to when summer is gone and school is starting. You need to be in the mood but trust me,when you are in the mood this is one of the most beautiful albums of all time.

Genre:Post Rock,Emo
Favorite Song:Either Honestly? or For Sure

39.Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden (1988)

Okay,It takes me a while to get into Post Rock albums. I've probably listened to The Rainbow than any other Talk Talk song. Cause I would always fall asleep. Yup,this was my sleeping album. Now,that title belongs to anything from Stars Of The Lid. Anyways,why do I like this? Firstly, Talk Talk had some BALLS while they were making this album. Even though The Colour Of Spring was a little different from their previous work,Spirit Of Eden is so different that it actually gave birth to a new genre! And guess what? It still has the Talk Talk sound! Imagine if Invisible Touch still had a hint of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. It's like that. Only IT doesn't sound like The Lamb at all. It sounds like torture. The Rainbow,Eden and Desire are like a single song divided into three parts,and I really like that. And the fact that they're still awesome by themselves is really cool. The second half,while isn't as good as the first,still is quite good and includes the single "I Believe In You". Excellent release from Talk Talk.

Genre:Post Rock
Favorite Song:The Rainbow
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 04:12:15 PM by Lolzeez »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. Something For Everyone! 41-39
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2013, 01:22:35 PM »
Dude...come on.  BoD isn't anywhere in the same league as V.  V is a masterpiece, whereas the best song on BoD is a cover song.  Lame sauce.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2013, 01:27:29 PM »
Dude...come on.  BoD isn't anywhere in the same league as V.  V is a masterpiece, whereas the best song on BoD is a cover song.  Lame sauce.
But V has couple songs that I dislike. BoD is perfect all the way.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2013, 02:51:19 PM »

Can't we just say they're both masterpieces? V is my third favourite Spock's Beard album and it sits behind (yup) Beware of Darkness and The Kindness of Strangers.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2013, 03:39:07 PM »
 :tup for American Football and Talk Talk.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2013, 05:16:03 PM »
Spirit of Eden is great!! Haven't heard the others.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2013, 10:16:12 PM »
I can't handle this level of fail.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2013, 01:16:55 AM »
Which album has the best SB song? (aka The Doorway)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2013, 01:59:15 AM »
All three of those are great. :)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2013, 05:35:51 AM »
Which album has the best SB song? (aka The Doorway)

That's the song that I first heard by them, so that is probably my favorite! I don't think they've written many songs that come close to that since then. 

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. Prog Metal from each decade! 38-36
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2013, 02:35:10 PM »
38.Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (1988)

SEVEN DEADLY SINS,SEV- erm. Sorry,Moonchild's first verses are just so good. This really is Maiden at their best. SSOASS is my personal favorite and the highest point of their career. From Moonchild to Only The Good Die Young,the album flows perfectly and is quite consistent at the same time. Moonchild is the greatest opener to any Iron Maiden album. The pure epicness and the energy packed into the song is just awesome. I also love the evil laugh Dickinson does. Infinite Dreams is a little slower but has a great groove going on and the instrumental section remains to be one of my favorites. The two singles are quite solid even though they're nowhere near close to being as good as the epicness that is the title track. I mean,my god. The title track to me,is the closest Maiden got to Prog Metal and also my favorite song on the album. It gets better with every listen. The remaining songs are also quite good. I really like the reprise at the end of Only The Good Die Young and The Clairvoyant has an awesome chorus. This is my personal fav from Iron Maiden EASILY.

Genre:Heavy Metal with some prog influence
Favorite Track:Either Seventh Son or Infinite Dreams

37.Between The Buried And Me - Colors (2007)

Behold,the only BTBAM that I can get into. (Besides Parallax 2) I really don't know why… Maybe because It was given to me on my birthday? Maybe because the vinyl that I own is orange? Whatever. Anyways this album just kept growing and growing on me the more I listened to it. And even the first time I listened to it, I wasn't put off by the metalcore elements! The second you hear Foam Born,you know this is gonna be good. Some gorgeous piano work,nice clean vocals and then…BOOM! And guess what? I actually like the vocals! The thing I don't really like about other BTBAM albums like Alaska is sometimes the vocalist,Tommy Rogers just does growls with full force and the drums just do blast beats after blast beats. I'm not really the biggest fan of that… Anyways the main even on the album begins with Sun Of Nothing. Until now you just "liked" the album. You thought that the album was going "good". Now,BTBAM just throw one amazing song after another. Sun Of Nothing to me,is the best BTBAM song. I really like how it kinda resembles Post Metal at times. To me at least it does. For example, 5:51 reminds me of some Cult Of Luna. Really cool. I also love the part where the song calms down and then starts getting heavy again. And then… Ants Of The Sky baby! Oh man,the first verses of this song… I've misheard them for so long. (My dick tastes funky today.) Anyways this song has some amazing instrumental work. It just blows me away every damn time. Also,the "bar" section as I call it is really out of place but still,it rules. The next song,Prequel To The Sequel is the single,but still it's very solid. The last two tracks though are considered to be the best BTBAM song. Yes,you just can't listen to White Walls without Viridian before it. And yes,White Walls is just an excellent closer to the album. Overall,solid record.

Genre:Progressive Metal
Favorite Tracks::Sun Of Nothing/White Walls

36.Ayreon - Into The Electric Castle (1998)

I'm kinda surprised that this isn't in the top 30! But it seems like there are 35 albums that I prefer over this masterpiece. Weird. Anyways,even though The Human Equation is the best Ayreon album to begin with,ITEC is easily the better one. The songs are more solid,proggier and the album's highlights are better than the highlights from THE. Come on,Amazing Flight easily beats Day Two:Isolation. That guitar solo is just the best thing on any Ayreon album. But yeah,Amazing Flight has a more "retro 70s prog" vibe to it than any other song on the album. The vocals,the organ and the guitar just screams 70s prog. My favorite from Disc 2 is the opener,The Garden Of Emotions. The vocal back and forth on that album is just badass. This album's concept is also to me,the most interesting out of every Ayreon album so far. I love how there is a hippie character! Anyways,ANY living creature that enjoys prog MUST check out this album. It's that good.

Genre:Progressive Rock/Metal + It's Arjen for fucks sake.
Favorite Tracks:Amazing Flight,Time Beyond Time,The Garden Of Emotions

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2013, 02:36:43 PM »
I can't decide if SSOASS is my favorite, or second favorite behind NotB. Either way, it's a great album and well deserving of a spot in anyones top 50. Colors is also good, but I can only take it in small doses.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2013, 02:41:21 PM »
Seventh Son and Colors are masterpieces, and you're right with saying that SSOASS is Iron Maiden at their best.

Could never get into Ayreon AT ALL. Something about Arjen's style just puts me off massively.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2013, 02:54:42 PM »
ITEC is the second best Ayreon album.  7th Son is a great Maiden album.

Good update.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2013, 02:55:58 PM »
THE blows ItEC out of the water, I think
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2013, 03:32:10 PM »
Which album has the best SB song?

The Light.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Onno

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2013, 03:35:05 PM »
SSOASS is amazing. I can't get into BTBAM and I haven't heard ITEC yet.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2013, 03:40:21 PM »
Colors  :heart

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2013, 06:32:58 PM »
THAT Time Beyond Time intro  :heart
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline adace

« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2013, 07:35:22 PM »
Not so big on Ayreon, but the other two are great!

Offline Ruba

« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2013, 02:19:35 AM »
SSOASS is not my favourite Iron Maiden, not even in top 5, but it's good.

Colors is excellent.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:10:04 AM by Ruba »