Author Topic: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. IT'S OVER. FINALLY.  (Read 18728 times)

Offline Outcrier

Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. NUMBAH 10
« Reply #175 on: November 14, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
I'ts my least favorite of the Rush fab four.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #176 on: November 15, 2013, 04:03:12 AM »
I'ts my least favorite of the Rush fab four.
Easily. Still a fine album, though...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #177 on: November 15, 2013, 04:42:10 AM »
This actually IS my favorite Rush album, and placed #3 overall on my list.  Excellent choice to start the top 10 with Tommy boy.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #178 on: November 18, 2013, 01:11:35 PM »
Whoops,sorry.. I'm back though!

9.My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (1991)

Oh my fucking lord. This album was a weird experience when I first heard it. This was my entrance to the noisy side of music so obviously it was quite weird the first time. Then one day,it clicked so fucking bad. Every single song has a purpose here (including Touched) Only Shallow gets the album started with a bang. The song has a really noisy and badass riff. The verses are almost hidden under the instrumentation throughout the whole album which adds a dreamy feel and just makes the album a little deeper. It almost feels like you're sleeping underwater. The next song,Loomer has some really cool sounding verses. Bilinda's voice really shines here. Touched is…well,unique. To Here Knows When is a song that shows us the dreamy side of this album and then fades into When You Sleep,my personal favorite song on the album thanks to the awesome duet vocal work of Kevin Shields and Bilinda Butcher. I Only Said has a really nice keyboard riff throughout the whole thing and like To Here Knows When,is quite dreamy. It might be my least favorite on the album but it's still a really strong track. Come In Alone has one of the most epic intro riffs ever. It really gets the album rocking again after a dreamy song,just like When You Sleep. Sometimes is a beautiful song with some acoustic guitar hidden under all the shoegaze sound of the electric guitar. Blown A Wish is possibly my favorite dreamy song of the album. The song has some really nice verses from Bilinda,my personal favorite performance from her in this album. What You Want is really rocking and is another favorite of mine. It's kind of a mix between the dreamy and the rocking tracks on the album and just represents the whole album. To close the album we have Soon which kinda sounds like a credits track to me. It wraps up everything perfectly and I just think the song is just a perfect summary of the whole album. This is my second favorite behind When You Sleep. And there you have it,Loveless from My Bloody Valentine. Amazing album,listen to it.

Favorite Track:When You Sleep
Genre:Shoegaze,Dream Pop,Noise Rock

Hint for the next album:NOOOOOW IIIII'M LOOOOOOOOOST! NOOOOOOOW IIIIII'M LOOOOOOST!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. NUMBAH 9
« Reply #179 on: November 18, 2013, 01:16:33 PM »
A Farewell to Kings is a great album  :tup

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #180 on: November 18, 2013, 01:29:55 PM »
A Farewell To Kings rules, and in addition to that, I need to get more Sonic Youth and Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

Edit: just read back to where I last saw. I love Low and Aqualung, and Weather Systems is pretty damn high up for me too. I also need to get hold of Marquee Moon, as a friend of mine raves about that album, and introduced me to the music of Television with a song from that album. Unfortunately, when I went to buy some Television, I could only find Adventures, but that album is amazing on it's own, so I am going to look out for Marquee Moon.

Lolzeez, I love your list.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #181 on: November 18, 2013, 01:35:35 PM »

Offline adace

« Reply #182 on: November 18, 2013, 01:37:10 PM »
Loveless is a gorgeous album, one of my favorites. :tup

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: November 18, 2013, 01:39:37 PM »
If you don't like Loveless, LISTEN TO IT LOUDER. CAUSE SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH YOU.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #184 on: November 18, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
First time i listened to Loveless, it already turned into one of my favorites.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #185 on: November 19, 2013, 02:28:42 AM »
A Farewell to Kings is a great album  :tup

This. Was top 3 for me I think. Even the lesser lights (Cinderella Man   and Madrigal) have their charms. But there's the title track, Xanadu and Cygnus X-1. Changed my musical world when I first heard it after growiing up on KISS, AC/DC, UFO, Motorhead, Priest.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #186 on: November 20, 2013, 12:28:23 AM »
Xanadu rules so hard.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #187 on: November 20, 2013, 05:50:00 PM »
:heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

Already know the next one lol. And if I have caught #10 I would have gotten the Loveless hint too. :lol

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #188 on: November 23, 2013, 10:58:14 AM »
8.The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium (2003)

The Mars Volta was the second "new" prog band I listened to after Dream Theater. Though it wasn't this album,it was Frances The Mute. I thought it was quite good but I just got tired during Cassandra Gemini and just shut the album off. Couple months later,I borrowed De-Loused In The Comatorium from a friend of mine cause I had heard a ton of good things. I also heard the song "Take The Veil Cerpin Text" which is one of my favorites off the album one time before borrowing the album. Couple weeks later,we had a fight and we never spoke again. (Weird cause I see him weekly.) Thanks for the album though! So,I was left with this album. I didn't really want to listen to it at first. But then I just put it on. Holy fuck. Inertiatic ESP is one of the best album openers I've ever heard. Cedric just shouting is really similar to their work from At The Drive In which was a band who appeared on this list couple weeks ago. So if you were anticipating album at the time,you were probably anticipating a Post Hardcore album. Inertiatic ESP would make you feel at home. Then,Roulette Dares kicks in. My fucking god. The guitar riff in this song is just one of the best things The Mars Volta has ever done. I bet it'd kick butt live. Drunkship Of Latterns is where the album kinda gets weirder, the intro has a really nice atmosphere and Cedric's vocals are just awesome. Couple minutes later,the song fucking explodes. Well,the album kinda gets less maniac with the next song,Eriatarka which sounds like an At The Drive In song on crack. It's quite energetic and has an awesome chorus. But then again,that could be said for every song on this album. Cicatriz is up next and it could be my favorite off the album. The song has a really cool ambient-ish section but my favorite part is when the vocals come back. It just feels epic. The "EDDIE VEDDER!" chorus is also quite awesome. The next song,"This Apparatus Must Be Unearthed" is another Post Hardcore-ish song with a really cool chorus and energetic singing from Cedric. Televators is slightly like a ballad. It's one of their "hits" I guess. They tried to recreate this song with "The Widow" from Frances The Mute but I prefer this song. Still,this is probably my least favorite off this album. Shame cause it would have been one of my favorites if it was off any other TMV album. It's that good. I've already told you about "Take The Veil Cerpin Text". An awesome closer with a great riff and awesome chorus. Basically,this album is a little different from your regular Progressive Rock album. It's a little punky and also slightly jazz fusion-ish. It's a must hear for anyone. (Wow this was a long write up. Sorry...)

Favorite Track:Cicatriz ESP
Genre:Progressive Rock

Hint for the next album:Is that a potato or a tambourine?

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #189 on: November 23, 2013, 01:19:10 PM »
Hint for the next album:Is that a potato or a tambourine?

Oh, the "comedy"  :lol

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. NUMBAH 8
« Reply #190 on: November 23, 2013, 02:24:03 PM »
No more comments for this badass album?

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: November 23, 2013, 11:07:05 PM »
I think back about 5 years ago I tried out a couple Mars Volta tracks and didn't think much of them.  After listening to Cicatriz ESP, I might have to re-visit them.  That's a very interesting track.  Actually watched the Sonic festival in Japan version.....   :tup

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #192 on: November 24, 2013, 02:51:41 AM »
Ah, I think you sent me something by The Mars Volta in my roulette. This goes straight to my 'to-listen'-list again.

Offline adace

« Reply #193 on: November 24, 2013, 03:11:21 AM »
De-Loused and Frances the Mute are two of my favorite prog albums. :tup

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #194 on: November 24, 2013, 07:33:30 AM »
Televators should be your favorite track.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #195 on: November 26, 2013, 08:36:17 AM »
Never could get into The Mars Volta.  Too...weird.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #196 on: November 28, 2013, 01:56:33 PM »
7.Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea (1998)

The essential Indie Rock album even if you don't give two shits about indie rock. In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is one of the best albums I've ever heard. First couple listens will be slightly unpleasant as Jeff's vocals take some time to get used to. My first attempt at listening to this album kinda ended during Two Headed Boy becuase I just couldn't stand the vocals. (I love them now. So much raw emotion makes an already powerful song even better.) Anyways,the album opens up with King Of Carrot Flowers Part 1. The song has some awesome lyrics. Next up is the famous "IIII LOOOOVE YOUUU JEESUS CHRIIIIIIIIIIIIIST" song,also known as King Of Carrot Flowers Part 2 and 3. Part 2 is the "Jesus" part but when the song gets to part 3 with all those horns and that guitar climax It gives me freaking goosebumps. Freaking awesome. Next we have the song that made me pick up the guitar again. It's the title track. Seriously,this is probably the best love song ever. The lyrics are freaking powerful,the instrumentation is solid as heck with those horns added to make an amazing atmosphere. In The Aeroplane Over The Sea (the song and the album) just sounds like an anthem of music. All the joyous moments,the melancholic melodies and the great performance is all here. It's just amazing. Anyways,the fourth song is Two Headed Boy. The song has some really strong vocals from Mangum. Probably his best vocal moment on the album. I also really like the verses there are just so many lyrical moments here that give me goosebumps even though they shouldn't even impress me this much. The album just grabs me. After the great transition song "The Fool",we have Holland 1945 which is my personal favorite. It has so much energy and sounds happy even though It's the saddest song on the album. The song kinda confuses me and is just mysterious. I like that. Communist Daughter is the next song which works just perfectly on vinyl as it is the side closer. It also works great on the CD as a transition song to…Oh Comely. Oh Comely is the "epic" of the album if you will. The song has one of the saddest atmospheres I have ever heard in a song. Mangum's vocals just capture you to tell the story of the girl and how much he wishes he could save her. This is a pretty simple song elevated with the raw emotion and power of Mangum's voice. It's incredibly sad when the horns come in and just makes me feel terrible inside,like it should. After all this sadness,we have Ghost to slightly cheer you up with its uplifting strumming pattern. But again,it's an incredibly sad song! How does Mangum do this? Normally It would sound out of place but here it just sounds like it was made to be a mixture of different emotions. This is rare. Once again,the horns really help the song reach the top along with the lyrics about Anne Frank. Aaaaand there is another transition song. This song is simply Untitled. It is the weakest track here but for an instrumental transition song,I feel like it kinda makes the album feel complete. It kinda builds up to the album closer,Two Headed Boy Part 2. Oh man. This song almost makes me cry. It kinda goes back to the Anne Frank topic and Mangum is singing about the afterlife where he will meet her. There are so many sad lines on this song it just hurts man. At the end there is a Two Headed Part 1 reprise which is indeed a perfect way to close this album. My god. This album just feel complete. In fact,it could be the most complete album on this list! It ends where it should and in a perfect way. Every single one of you people,check this stuff out.

Favorite Track:Holland 1945
Genre:Indie Rock,Lo-Fi

Hint for the next album:Progressive harsh vocal rock.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. NUMBAH 7
« Reply #197 on: November 28, 2013, 02:27:19 PM »
I really, really dislike that album.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #198 on: November 28, 2013, 03:06:52 PM »
I really, really dislike that album.
Listen to it louder.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #199 on: November 28, 2013, 03:25:29 PM »
It's a masterpiece for a reason.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #200 on: November 28, 2013, 10:56:53 PM »
Ha at the potato tambourine thing.

Also,  :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

Offline Mladen

« Reply #201 on: November 29, 2013, 11:34:26 AM »
...a little boy in Spain, playing pianos filled with flames...

...and so on.

Damn, that's one crazy album. I love it.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #202 on: December 01, 2013, 04:29:20 PM »
Number 6 tomorrow,I've been busy with the F chord. (No,not that fake one with the mini barre. This is the real deal.)

Also,I can now play the Bm!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #203 on: December 03, 2013, 03:05:51 PM »
6.Opeth - Still Life (1999)

Oh Opeth. After the album Morningrise,every single one of their albums (Besides Heritage) is worth at least an 8 out of 10. With every single album,their sound progressed and changed. Morningrise through Watershed is one of my favorite album cycles ever besides Tresspass through Wind And Wuthering or The Sky Moves Sideways to Fear Of A Blank Planet. The best thing about Still Life and the reason I prefer it is because the album has everything good about My Arms,Your Hearse but slightly elevated and a little more balanced. The problem with Blackwater Park is that at times,it can be overly tiring. Still Life is constructed in such a way that the album just never gets you bored. Every single song is a combination of Opeth's signature sounds. The Moor for example has that eerie intro with very atmospheric guitar work and then when the intro comes in,the heaviness and the death metal influence show themselves. The song has the amazing riffing and the interesting atmosphere Opeth is known for. The last couple minutes are acoustic and it just makes the song feel complete. The next song Godhead's Lament is one of the heavier songs but still has that really proggy vibe throughout the entire track. The slower section is probably my favorite part of the song as it portrays some amazing singing from Akerfeldt. Benighted is up next to calm things down and it does a perfect job. It's a full clean track with a very eerie atmosphere and has a great vocal performance from our dear Mikael. Moonlapse Vertigo is my favorite on the album. Yes I know,it's a slightly uncommon opinion but I feel like this is one of the best constructed songs ever written. The track has some excellent riffing,badass growl vocals and everything but that instrumental section is nothing short of genius. Moonlapse Vertigo is truly a musical journey. Face Of Melinda is another clean track but it has one of the darkest atmospheres out of all these songs. If you pay attention to the lyrics,it's pretty damn deep. Halfway in the track,the electric guitars come in with a really cool riff and topped with some really awesome verses from Akerfeldt. This is a really nice climax for the song. Next up is Serenity Painted Death. This is probably the heaviest song on the album. The riff has a really dirty feel and the growls really go perfectly with it. Halfway in,there is a slower instrumental section which really makes the song shine. It evens out the song perfectly and just sounds great. Then there is a really cool melodic guitar solo. The song ends with a really soothing acoustic section which flows into the last track…White Cluster is the epic finale of this album. This song is like the combination of every single track on this album and just closes the album perfectly. Still Life is a must hear for anyone who can or cannot handle growls. This album is the album that got me into growling vocals. I used to hate them now I quite like the power they add to the music. Anyways,listen to this album if you haven't

Favorite Track:Moonlapse Vertigo
Genre:Progressive Metal

Hint For The Next Album: My first sig on this forum. (Too difficult? Well,ask Ville a band his sister likes. (Sorry Ville I spoiled number 5 for you  :biggrin:) )

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #204 on: December 03, 2013, 03:13:40 PM »

THANK YOU.

Jesus Christ, I thought I was the only person who thought that was the best song on the album. Why most people rank it dead last just baffles me.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: December 03, 2013, 03:15:07 PM »

THANK YOU.

Jesus Christ, I thought I was the only person who thought that was the best song on the album. Why most people rank it dead last just baffles me.
THANK GOD THERE'S ONE MORE.  :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. NUMBAH 6 (ENTERING TOP 5 WOOOOO)
« Reply #206 on: December 03, 2013, 03:57:02 PM »
Moonlapse Vertigo is fucking amazing. My favourite song from the album as well.
And if you don't believe me, check the first post in this thread.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Mladen

« Reply #207 on: December 04, 2013, 02:52:14 AM »
I for one am surprised to see people naming Moonlight vertigo as their favorite song from Still life. It's a good song, but easily the least good on the album in my opinion.

Offline adace

« Reply #208 on: December 04, 2013, 02:58:04 AM »
100% agreed on Moonlapse Vertigo being underrated. Love every second of it along with the rest of the album. :metal :hefdaddy

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #209 on: December 04, 2013, 03:20:07 AM »
Still Life  :metal :metal