Author Topic: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. IT'S OVER. FINALLY.  (Read 18734 times)

Offline Outcrier

Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. DOUBLE UPDATE
« Reply #140 on: November 01, 2013, 03:18:39 PM »
Tip for prog fans: Forget if it's prog or not and focus on how good it is...songwriting being good, don't matter the genre.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2013, 04:11:06 PM »
Tip for prog fans: Forget if it's prog or not and focus on how good it is...songwriting being good, don't matter the genre.
Sig'd.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2013, 04:16:36 PM »
Weather Systems  :heart

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #143 on: November 01, 2013, 05:15:41 PM »

I thought this was common sense.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2013, 05:31:12 PM »
Merriweather Post Pavilion is a top 10 album for me. Great choice. Love the other three as well.
Seriously guys,it sounds like shit at first but keep trying.
Haha, the opposite for me. One of the best first listens ever for me.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 01:44:49 AM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: November 02, 2013, 12:21:11 AM »
Merriweather Post Pavilion is a top 10 album for me. Great choice. Love the other two as well.
Seriously guys,it sounds like shit at first but keep trying.
Haha, the opposite for me. One of the best first listens ever for me.
I preferred Feels and Sung Tongs over MPP for a looooong time.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. The top 20 is here!
« Reply #146 on: November 02, 2013, 12:40:40 AM »
Warning: The following album has a cover that might make you feel high. You have been warned.

fuck dude, i already felt high. can only imagine how much i'd trip if i tried spinning a track or two.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2013, 03:47:41 PM »
Some others may dig them, and find MPP the greatest thing since sliced bread, however I've felt since it was released, Animal Collective went from possibly interesting with Strawberry Jam to downright annoying with Merriweather Post Pavillion.

They aren't The Beach Boys, and they really shouldn't come across as being a 2nd coming of them.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2013, 04:09:27 PM »
Sig'd.

I am flattered that someone sig'd one of my nonsenses  :rollin

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #149 on: November 02, 2013, 04:19:45 PM »

I thought this was common sense.

See XB0BX disregarding Porcupine Tree albums because they aren't proggy as The Raven even if the majority of them are better than it for an example.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: November 02, 2013, 04:59:40 PM »
Some others may dig them, and find MPP the greatest thing since sliced bread, however I've felt since it was released, Animal Collective went from possibly interesting with Strawberry Jam to downright annoying with Merriweather Post Pavillion.

They aren't The Beach Boys, and they really shouldn't come across as being a 2nd coming of them.
I never really got that comparison at all. If anything I find Panda Bear's Person Pitch album has that sound. I don't hear it in MPP at all.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: November 03, 2013, 02:00:30 AM »

I never really got that comparison at all. If anything I find Panda Bear's Person Pitch album has that sound. I don't hear it in MPP at all.
Person Pitch is awesome too.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: November 03, 2013, 02:02:02 AM »
Yeah, took me a bit to get into, but I love it a lot.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2013, 01:44:18 PM »
Due to me being flooded by exams,I haven't been updating lately. Tomorrow,that will change.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. Perfect Albums
« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2013, 02:52:27 PM »
14.Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation (1988)

YES! The noise rock magnum opus that is Daydream Nation! This album has one of the greatest genre defining sounds ever. This album just put the standards for any other noise rock album I'd listen to. It's really that good. The opener,Teenage Riot is possibly one of the best openers ever and could be my favorite Sonic Youth song. Other favorites include Silver Rocket which has an ear shatteringly badass chorus,The Sprawl which has the badass vocals from Kim Gordon with all the badass spoken word during the intro,the fun Hey Joni and the excellent Trilogy which is like three songs in one. I can't explain why I really enjoy this album without just listing my favorite tracks. This really is one of the most consistent albums ever from start to finish. From the slow intro for Teenage Riot to the final part of Trilogy,this album has something for everyone that enjoys music that involves a guitar.

Favorite Track:Teenage Riot
Genre:Noise Rock

13.Neil Young - Harvest (1972)

Neil Young is THE singer songwriter for me. His music is extremely fun to hear and play,his voice is beautiful and his lyrics are just wonderful. What do you want more from a singer songwriter right? Oh that's right,good songwriting. This album has a ton of that. Out On The Weekend has an awesome harmonica solo on top of some easy and fun to play guitar chords. Harvest has those amazing lyrics. A Man Needs A Maid is pretty simple but has an epic vibe going on which really boosts it. Heart Of Gold is the catchiest thing ever. Are You Ready For The Country is just fun. Old Man has a really nice chorus with some awesome vocal work from Mr. Young. There's A Word has those bright illustrations. Alabama is like the best of Neil Young in one. The Needle And The Damage Done portraits some excellent vocal work and the closer Words has the epic sound with the piano/electric guitar and creates an atmosphere that makes you feel like you just got through this album like an amazing journey. Seriously,this album is just perfect. Even the filler-ish songs (There's A Word,The Needle And The Damage Done) have some highlight moments. Screw Bob Dylan's screechy voice,Neil Young is the best singer songwriter ever.

Favorite Track:Out On The Weekend/Heart Of Gold/Alabama/Words
Genre:Singer Songwriter

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #155 on: November 06, 2013, 03:24:11 PM »
Two awesome albums right there.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #156 on: November 06, 2013, 10:50:44 PM »
Hell yes, Harvest is a top 10 album of all time for me  :metal Everything about it is brilliant imo.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #157 on: November 06, 2013, 10:52:26 PM »
I've been meaning to get into Sonic Youth for a while. Would you say that Daydream Nation would be a good starting point?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: November 07, 2013, 01:45:41 AM »
Daydream Nation would be an excellent starting point. It's generally considered their best, and together with the albums "Sister" and "Goo", it's the band's "classic three" so-to-speak.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2013, 08:46:50 PM »
LIES.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:16:42 AM by Lolzeez »

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2013, 02:48:41 PM »
OKAY I'M REALLY SORRY BUT TOMORROW IT IS.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: November 12, 2013, 11:21:11 AM »
12.Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven (2000)

Okay,when I was making this list, I thought about the best musical experiences of my life. This album is easily up there. How and why? Well,when I first saw this album's cover,I knew it was gonna be some crazy new thing that my prog snob mind wouldn't be able to handle. I was right. It blew my freaking balls off like two balloons getting blown up by a needle. The intro to Storm is just one of the best things in music. Ever. Static also is an excellent song with some great atmospheric work. Sleep is probably the definition of a grower. At first,Storm was my favorite on the album but 5 more listens later,Sleep's amazing climax just hit me so freaking hard. Those violins,that drumming just made me go "DAYUM." it's that awesome of an outro. Antennas To Heaven has always been a confusing song for me,it has like a countryish song playing for the first two minutes but the rest is just the post rock goodness. Why did they add that there? I have no fucking idea. It kinda fits though. What could you do after you have the amazing climax of Sleep? Just bring out that weird county song clip. Overall,amazing album,listen to it.

Favorite Track:Sleep
Genre:Post Rock

11.Riverside - Out Of Myself (2003)

Ah! Riverside is one of those bands that I had been wanting to get into. Second Life Syndrome was the only thing I heard from them but for some reason I thought that the album was a little overrated and it just didn't grab me. Two years later,I joined this site and got recommended Out Of Myself by someone. (I love you.) Now,it's my 11th favorite album. Riverside is special because they can make melancholic songs and prog songs and kick ass on both of them. Loose Heart and The Same River are my two favorite tracks from Riverside and they're both completely different. The Same River shows off their prog side. The intro to the song is just amazing and when Duda's vocals come in,it just creates an amazing atmosphere that is unmatched. Loose Heart is that song that you always listen to and get goosebumps. Those guitar solos are just beautiful. Anyways,check this album out if you want to hear something good. Okay?

Favorite Track:The Same River
Genre:Progressive Rock

So,top 10 starts tomorrow. An album each day. 10 days. Which albums do you guys think will be in my top 10? Post your guesses!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #162 on: November 12, 2013, 11:22:10 AM »
My favorite Riverside album :tup

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: November 12, 2013, 11:39:55 AM »
My favorite Riverside album :tup
Knew I wasn't the only one!  :biggrin:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. ENTERING THE TOP 10!
« Reply #164 on: November 12, 2013, 12:31:41 PM »
Two great picks! LYSF especially, considering it's in my top5.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #165 on: November 12, 2013, 02:55:33 PM »
Wooh Riverside! Although I think Anno Domino High Definition is easily their best CD. Man, that is in my very very small and up-until-now non-existent mental cache of 'flawless albums'
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #166 on: November 12, 2013, 06:01:49 PM »
Hey Lolzeez, you already listened to GY!BE "Slow Riot for blah blah blah" (you know, the EP)?

EDIT: Forget it, i saw your review of it in RYM  :P
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 08:22:17 PM by Outcrier »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #167 on: November 12, 2013, 08:36:18 PM »
Wooh Riverside! Although I think Anno Domino High Definition is easily their best CD. Man, that is in my very very small and up-until-now non-existent mental cache of 'flawless albums'

Agreed!  That's the CD that turned me on to Riverside.  Every other CD of theirs fails to compare. 

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: November 12, 2013, 08:52:37 PM »
Hey Lolzeez, you already listened to GY!BE "Slow Riot for blah blah blah" (you know, the EP)?

EDIT: Forget it, i saw your review of it in RYM  :P
It is the best EP ever. In fact,It's almost tied with LYSF for me.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #169 on: November 12, 2013, 08:56:45 PM »
BBF3 climax is orgasmic  :metal

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #170 on: November 12, 2013, 08:58:06 PM »
Last two updates are great! I love that Sonic Youth album (was introduced to it through Zantera's Top 50 thread), and the Neil Young and Riverside albums are excellent as well.  :tup

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #171 on: November 12, 2013, 09:01:40 PM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: November 12, 2013, 09:46:24 PM »
BBF3 climax is orgasmic  :metal
Definitely one of my favourite musical moments.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. NUMBAH 10
« Reply #173 on: November 14, 2013, 02:26:28 PM »
10.Rush - A Farewell To Kings (1977)

Do I need to say anything about this album? Yeah I probably need to remind you guys that this album is freaking perfect. Every single song and every single note here has a purpose. No fillers. Even the short songs are awesome. (Closer To The Heart is top 20 Rush for me.) The proggy epics like Cygnus X-1 and Xanadu are just magical and have a very unique sound to them. The intros have this ambient-ish touch to them which really boosts the expectations you have for the rest and boy does it pay off. Every song is constructed in such a perfect way that while listening,you don't ever use sentences like "It'd be perfect if blah blah blah blah" Why? Because the album is complete. Some people prefer Hemispheres but I just feel like Hemispheres is not as strong of an album. It doesn't feel complete to me. Maybe with two more songs,It'd be up here. To cut things short,this is a great album that any living thing should check out. Even my turtles liked it when I was listening to Cygnus X-1.

Favorite Track:Xanadu
Genre:Progressive Rock

Hint for the next album:Chewbacca having sex while playing Ocarina Of Time

Offline ColdFireYYZ

Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. NUMBAH 10
« Reply #174 on: November 14, 2013, 07:52:32 PM »
A Farewell to Kings isn't my favorite Rush album, but it's definitely worth being in a top 10 of all time. It's fantastic.