Author Topic: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. IT'S OVER. FINALLY.  (Read 18733 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. 2 Awesome Albums (Entering the top 30!)
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2013, 02:05:04 AM »
Alcest! :D

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. EXPERIMENTAL (Top 30!)
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2013, 03:35:35 PM »
28.Mogwai - Mogwai Young Team (1997)

This is one of the greatest hours of Post Rock ever released. The thing that seperates Mogwai from other Post Rock bands like GY!BE is that they're more "to the point" and they also have a sound focused more on the intensity of their music. Mogwai's biggest weapon is that they can be both beautiful and intense at the same time. For example, look at the intro of "Yes! I am a long way from home." or "Like Herod",not many bands have made music like that. This album is one of the most unique from the second wave Post Rock albums. The "Quiet,Loud,Quiet,Loud" formula usually gets old on most Post Rock albums if it's repeated on every song. That formula works perfectly on this album. Just look at "Like Herod" for some proof. Also,this album has one of my favorite Post Rock songs of all time,Mogwai Fear Satan which is around 16 minutes long and my jaw drops everytime I hear it. The guitar riffing is awesome and the outro is pure perfection. Sadly,they haven't released ANYTHING that has come close to this. It's sad that they perfected their sound on the debut…

Genre:Post Rock
Favorite Track:Mogwai Fear Satan

27.David Bowie - Low (1977)

Now,I want to start out by saying that Bowie is one of the people from the music industry that I respect with all of my respect. He's done so much for music,experimented with so many genres that it's crazy. He still keeps releasing excellent records and doesn't give a shit about his age. He's 70 years old for fucks sake. Now,I've seen people who dislike Low because of the second half of the album being all ambient and weird and "2deep4u". Yeah sure,Heroes also had some ambient influence but not a whole side of space dedicated to it. Now,back when this was released in 1977,vinyl was the default platform for music. Back in the day,this was two albums in one. How? Well,side one is the Art Rock Bowie that we had heard previously from Heroes,another amazing album. Side two is where things slow down and become a little slower and certainly more ambient. Brian Eno had a huge effect on Bowie,that's for sure. Anyways,although I prefer the first half,the ambient half is also amazing. It has really grown on me over time. Now,what I really love about this album isn't just the music. Look at that cover. He's not half naked like in Aladdin Sane, or not a freaking dog with a visible junk. (Look at the first vinyl pressing…) Anyways,this album as a whole is an amazing journey from beginning to end. I can't choose a favorite. This entire album is a 10/10.

Genre:Art Rock,Experimental Rock,Ambient
Favorite Track:Entire Album

Offline Ruba

« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2013, 03:43:42 PM »
I would have listened to Low, but it wasn't in the library when I was looking for it, someone had lended it. Going to do it soon anyway.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »
I would have listened to Low, but it wasn't in the library when I was looking for it, someone had lended it. Going to do it soon anyway.
Awesome! Give it couple listens to fully get into it. At first,I thought it was overrated junk.  :blush

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2013, 04:53:08 PM »
Km not too familiar with Low, but the song Soubd & Vision is incredible.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2013, 09:08:26 PM »
I love Low. Incredible album.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. Atmospheric ECM Metal (Top 30!)
« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2013, 01:18:55 AM »
26.Cult Of Luna - Somewhere Along The Highway (2006)

This is the album that got me into Post Rock although it's not directly Post Rock. It's Post Metal but it made me check out Post Rock so it counts right? Anyways,SATH is one of the most consistent Post Rock/Metal albums I've ever heard. It has two of my favorite CoL tracks which are "Finland" and "Dark City Dead Man". Finland has an awesome flow with great melody/riffs. The growls are not bad believe it or not,something uncommon in this genre. Dark City Dead Man is one of the darkest songs I've heard with badass lyrics and an excellent outro. Other songs are also quite cool like the awesome "Dim" and the really cool intro "Marching To The Heartbeats". If you've ever been wanting to get into this genre or just want something new to hear,I highly recommend Somewhere Along The Highway as it's one of the genre's best and the easiest to get into even though it still requires more than 3 listens.

Genre:Atmospheric Sludge Metal,Post Rock
Favorite Track:Finland,Dark City Dead Man

25.Pat Metheny Group - The Way Up (2005)

Wow a jazz album from the 2000s? Jazz is still alive? Yes but in small doses. The Way Up is the single track magnum opus from Pat Metheny. Who knew his best album was gonna be from the 2000s? Nobody was expecting this album to be so dang good. It also hurts that I missed a Pat Metheny concert where he played this song in it's entirety. Anyways,The Way Up has one of the most memorable jazz riffs ever. The little riff at the start of Part 1 is one of the most relaxing and cool riffs I've ever heard. There are 3 parts and 1 intro. The 3 parts are on average 20 minutes each. The intro is just 5 minutes. But trust me,this is gonna be one of the quickest hours of music EVER. Every instrument has its own highlight,every part has its own sections and its own personality. It gets much more intense later on. To cut things short,anyone that's into progressive music/jazz must listen to this.

Genre:ECM Jazz,Jazz Fusion
Favorite Track:It's just one track...

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. Atmospheric ECM Metal (Top 25!)
« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2013, 01:19:35 AM »
Also,another update later today.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2013, 01:43:56 AM »
I need to listen to that Pat Metheny album. My dad loves his music but only has his older albums.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2013, 10:57:14 AM »
The Way Up was  a lot better live. But personally, I prefer Speaking of Now, of his 2000's studio records.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. Classics! (Top 25!)
« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2013, 01:10:03 PM »
24.The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (2002)

Lemme get this out of the way,this is NOT A CONCEPT ALBUM. The concept is only there for 2 or 3 tracks. Anyways,this is easily the greatest The Flaming Lips album. It has the awesome production of The Soft Bulletin and the nice psychedelic rock elements from their other 90s outputs all in one excellent package. The title track (part 1) is one of the most fun tracks ever,whether to sing along or just play. It's just an awesome trippy anthem. The instrumental work is just beautiful,the instrumental tracks (including Pink Robots Part 2) are terrific and the vocal delivery is just the best from this band. The tracks are not complicated or anything but they aren't too simple to bore you. The album is a little more pop oriented than The Soft Bulletin and I really like that. It's catchy,fun and easy to listen to which makes this album really replayable. This is just a really enjoyable Neo Psychedelia album. Give it a shot. If you don't like it,you're just a really big prog snob. (I hated this album before…)

Genre:Neo Psychedelia
Favorite Tracks:Fight Test,Title Track,Are You A Hypnotist?,Do You Realise?

23.Jethro Tull - Aqualung (1971)

And ladies and gentlemen we are back to some 70s prog. It's been long hasn't it? Anyways,Jethro Tull has always been one of my favorites from the 70s. The way Ian Anderson uses the flute as a rock instrument is just astonishingly good! I would have never expected a dumb flute to be one of the greatest things about not just a song,a full freaking band! Ian Anderson has always been up there with Peter Gabriel and Greg Lake for me as a prog god. Seriously,this man is a genius. Whether it's writing simple songs like
Mother Goose,rockers like Locomotive Breath or prog epics like My God.  This album just packs a punch because of how dang consistent it is. From Aqualung to the emotionally wonderful Wind Up (has the best lyrics from Anderson EVER.) this album is just an awesome journey on a big ship over a lake of chocolate and Ian Anderson is Willy Wonka. Seriously Ian,I fucking admire you. Also,thanks for the handshake last year!

Genre:Progressive Rock
Favorite Tracks:Everything.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2013, 01:48:19 PM »
I love Aqualung, but there are several Jethro Tull albums that I prefer over it.

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is great too!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2013, 05:26:23 PM »
The last 6 have all been great :) (aside from Pat Metheny who I've never really listened to).

Offline Onno

« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2013, 04:54:48 AM »
Just listened to the first 30 minutes of the Pat Metheny record. Awesome!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2013, 04:32:59 PM »
Aqualung....  :tup

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2013, 02:53:23 PM »
I'm sorry for the lack of updates recently. My brain has been busy thanks to school and I just forgot about this thing. Sorry guys... :sadpanda:

Double update tomorrow.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: October 25, 2013, 04:41:25 PM »
Okay guys,I might be leaving the Lonely Hearts Club. This is kinda why I've been slow with updates...

Offline Ruba

« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2013, 05:36:50 PM »
Okay guys,I might be leaving the Lonely Hearts Club. This is kinda why I've been slow with updates...

Good for you! :metal

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #123 on: October 25, 2013, 08:34:24 PM »
I'd tell you to go fuck yourself, but looks like someone else has that job now.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2013, 03:02:07 AM »
22.Haken - Visions (2011)

This is my personal favorite from Haken. If you have not heard of them before,they are quite popular on this forum. Along with Leprous and Riverside,Haken is one of my favorite new prog bands. Anyways,the biggest reason why I love this album is the way it's constructed. Everything flows perfectly. Premonition to Nocturnal Conspiracy,The Mind's Eye to Portals to Shapeshifter just work perfectly and the album is one of the most consistent albums in recent years. There is not a single drop on this album. My least favorite song is probably The Mind's Eye but that song has an awesome chorus and it's just an awesome short track. The epic of the album,Visions is gonna be up there with Supper's Ready,A Plague Of The Lighthouse Keepers,Thick As A Brick and Close To The Edge. It's one of the best songs over 20 minutes in years. Just check this out if you haven't already. It will blow you away.

Favorite Track:Visions

21.Arcade Fire - Funeral (2005)

Okay let me get this out of the way,Reflektor so far is a huge disappointment for me. The lead single/the title track/the first track on the album is honestly the only song that really moves me. I'm hoping the album somehow grows on me. But for now,no. Okay back to Funeral,one of the best indie rock albums of all time. When I first heard Arcade Fire was back when The Suburbs was announced. Back then,I wasn't too big on Indie Rock. I can thank Arcade Fire for making me a fan though. I decided that I'd listen to Funeral because everyone and their mother was talking about Arcade Fire. And guess what? It didn't click with me. I don't know what I was doing wrong. Then sometime last year,I bought The Suburbs on vinyl. I had always been curious about the band and wanted to hear another album. And guess what? I loved The Suburbs. Then I dusted off my copy of Funeral and I LOVED it. Tunnels,the opener of the album just grabbed me in for a ride. The vocals that I used to think were whiny now I loved Win's singing! Next up is a favorite of mine,Laika. I really don't know why I love it so much. It's just catchy and has an awesome chorus. Also I used to think it was "Come on Eric! You can do it! Come on Eric! There's nothing to it!" But it's actually Alex… Whatever it will remain as Eric to me. I don't care. Anyways my other two favorites are Wake Up and Rebellion (Lies). Wake Up is a beautiful track and in my opinion Win's best vocal performance on the entire album. Rebellion (Lies) is an awesome song live. (I have seen it live yesssss) It's very upbeat and just fun to listen to. Still,my favorite on the album is either Wake Up or Laika. I just can't stop listening to those. But I think that Wake Up is the better song. So let's go with that. Anyways, even if you're a biased prog snob,check this album out.

Genre:Indie Rock
Favorite Track:Wake Up

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. ENTERING THE TOP 20!
« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2013, 03:04:10 AM »
Oh and yes,double update today.  :tup

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2013, 06:04:47 AM »
Now I get why you mentioned Arcade Fire in my roulette thread :lol

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2013, 10:43:02 AM »
Now I get why you mentioned Arcade Fire in my roulette thread :lol
Yes,you should check them out. (Not Reflektor though. I didn't like it.)

No more comments for these awesome albums?  :-\

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #128 on: October 27, 2013, 10:51:53 AM »
I don't really care for either of these picks, though I probably need to give Funeral more spins. Overall I feel like Arcade Fire is a pretty overrated band, and falls under the "Good but not Great"-category for me. I enjoy their music, there's nothing really wrong with it, but it doesn't blow me away. However, Funeral seems like an album that could win me over slightly, though the other three album probably won't change much for me. As for Haken, technically they are fine, I just don't have much of an interest in the kind of music they're putting out.

Otherwise I'm pretty excited to see your top20, some nice variety so far.  :metal

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: October 27, 2013, 02:30:32 PM »
Well,the top 20 is here!  :metal

20.John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (1964)

Okay,choosing a favorite Coltrane album was HARD. Blue Train and My Favorite Things are both amazing jazz albums. But in the end,I just had to go with his magnum opus, A Love Supreme. Now,I'm not the biggest fan of Jazz that doesn't have at least a touch of prog. Literally. I know it's kind of a biased opinion,but it's true. I don't care for albums like Kind Of Blue. Those albums just bore me. Maybe It's because of my age,but still for the time being,I'm not the biggest fan. Then why do I like this album? I don't know! It's got that signature Coltrane energy but it also has another advantage. It's just one epic. It's one song. And guess what? Every movement is better than the previous one. It's just consistently mind blowingly solid. Good job Coltrane,you got a fan in me.

Genre:Avant Gare Jazz
Favorite Track:Well It's one song…

19.At The Drive In - Relationship Of Command (2000)

Do I need to say anything? I haven't heard such an album with energy like this. It's almost like this is a live recording. SO ENEGEH,POWAH! These guys go nuts on their instruments throughout the entire album. The instrumental work is just flawless. And Cedric's vocals here are easily his best work,topping anything from The Mars Volta. But,what about the songwriting? I mean,with all this energy,how come the listener never gets sick of it? Well,because the album is constructed in such a way that it just keeps you wanting for more. But for me,this album has it's highlight with "Invalid Littler Dept.". That song has so much emotion combined with beautiful instrumental work with the piano and also a sick chorus that will be stuck in your head till you die. Another favorite of mine is the opener,Arcarsenal. The drums in the intro and then Cedric shouting those lyrics beautifully with some amazing guitar work. Just amazing. This is an album you have to check out even if you're not a fan of Post Hardcore.

Genre:Post Hardcore
Favorite Track:Invalid Litter Dept.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. The top 20 is here!
« Reply #130 on: October 27, 2013, 09:55:59 PM »
No comments?  :-\

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #131 on: October 28, 2013, 12:01:59 AM »
As for Haken, technically they are fine, I just don't have much of an interest in the kind of music they're putting out.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #132 on: October 28, 2013, 03:09:22 AM »
I don't really listen to either of these that much, but I enjoy the Coltrane-album, pretty sweet jazz. Heard one or two At the Drive In-songs, and it's been good stuff, just haven't checked out any albums.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #133 on: October 29, 2013, 03:28:42 AM »
I don't really listen to either of these that much, but I enjoy the Coltrane-album, pretty sweet jazz. Heard one or two At the Drive In-songs, and it's been good stuff, just haven't checked out any albums.
You've gotta check out Relationship Of Command. My personal favorite Post Hardcore album. Yes,better than Repeater.

Offline Onno

« Reply #134 on: October 29, 2013, 05:01:10 AM »
I really want to listen to A Love Supreme, but I can't find the whole album on Spotify :/

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2013, 09:46:57 PM »
OKAY I'M BACK FOR REALS NOW. DOUBLE UPDATE TODAY.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: November 01, 2013, 02:26:11 PM »
18.Television - Marquee Moon (1977)

WHAT? A PUNK ALBUM? YOU SHITTING ME LOLZEEZ? WTF? Yes. Television is an awesome band and Marquee Moon is an excellent Post Punk album. Even if you're not into Post Punk,just give this a listen. The title track (which is over 10 minutes) alone makes this worth owning. But other songs like Friction are also pretty kick ass.  Almost every song on this album is just perfect. The instrumental work is surprisingly good for this kind of music. The vocals remind me of Cedric from At The Drive In and The Mars Volta which is an awesome thing. The vocals carry so much energy that you will want to sing along to every song. The songs are also just fantastic. Just check out the grooves on the title track or the really cool chorus that Elevation has. Every single one of you guys should check this out.  A solid post punk release.

Genre:Post Punk
Favorite Song:Marquee Moon

WHERE DID THE PROG GO?!

17.Anathema - Weather Systems (2012)

Anathema have this magic where every single song from them can be so sweet but also really dark at the same time. It's a band that I can enjoy any time. Anyways,is there really anything that has not been said WS yet? It's one of the most gorgeous albums in recent years and is just a bloody good effort from Anathema that tops every other album from them EVER. This album can only go up from here for me since it hasn't even been 2 years since it came out! This album really is a modern classic.

Favorite Track:Untouchable Part 2

16.Belle And Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister (1996)

This is an album that you can enjoy anytime,just like Weather Systems. When I first heard of this band,it was when I saw that they were gonna have a concert in my area sometime in 2012. (They also had a concert here this year but I was too busy…) I checked them out couple months afterwards but they didn't really stick with me. I didn't like the vocalist due to his lisp and the songs sounded too "lalallala so happy lalalalalal" to me. But,sometime during the spring of 2013,this band really hit me hard. I was taking a shower and I felt like listening to this album along with the shower. My god,that was one of the most relaxing things I've done in recent years. Some of these songs are so freaking simple but they have such an amazing atmosphere that they just end up being some of the best Indie Rock I've ever heard. Like Dylan In The Movies is a perfect idea as it's got some really simple chord progression but that chorus has huge emotion that it's hard not to go "Wow,this is beautiful." I also really like the harmonica in some songs like Me And The Major which is easily my favorite song on this album. This album is just perfect from start to end.

Genre:Indie Rock
Favorite Track:Me And The Major

TOP 15? HELL YEAH!

Warning: The following album has a cover that might make you feel high. You have been warned.

15.Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion (2009)

Remember when I said that I found this album to be overrated? Yeah,I fell in love with it after listening it again couple weeks ago. Yes,it really didn't take too long to make it this high on my list. Why though? Well,you see,when you're in a good mood somethings just sound better while some just aren't as good. This is an album that makes my heart tickle. Seriously,I haven't heard of a happier album EVER. Also,a person I know (the reason why there hasn't been updates lately :biggrin:) is really into them. And listening to the vinyl along with someone else while having some tea is an experience that rules so fucking much. My Girls could possibly be my favorite AC song along with "Grass" from Feels. (POW,POW,POW,POW! (I swear to god,I have a thing for vocalists shouting words that end with "ow". Check out The Musical Box to see what I mean. :lol) ) Another awesome song is Summertime Clothes which is probably one of the catchiest songs in recent years. I love this album. I think it was LieLow but whoever you are,thank you for making me realise how amazing this album is.

Genre:Neo-Psychedelia
Favorite Track:My Girls

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. DOUBLE UPDATE
« Reply #137 on: November 01, 2013, 02:32:25 PM »
Weather Systems  :heart :heart

Not sure about the rest of them.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #138 on: November 01, 2013, 02:35:12 PM »
OMG THE COVER ART IS MOVING

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2013, 03:04:06 PM »
OMG THE COVER ART IS MOVING
And so is the album...

Seriously guys,it sounds like shit at first but keep trying.