Author Topic: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. IT'S OVER. FINALLY.  (Read 18717 times)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. IT'S OVER. FINALLY.
« on: October 03, 2013, 02:16:49 PM »
Hello ladies and gentlemen. I don't know if anyone would take some 16 year old teenager's list seriously. But if so,jump in! I've been into "music" ever since I was introduced to Genesis when I was like 5 years old. My grandpa used to be a huge fan of them and gave me a copy of Nursery Cryme on my birthday. At first I was like "What the hell is this? I wanted some fucking Lego god damnit." but then I actually wanted to try it out. It was fucking awesome. Sadly,he passed away 2 or 3 years later. That's when I noticed,I should do this "listening" thing more often. Ever since then,I've been into music. I can't go through one day without some music. Whether it's sad or happy,dark or light

I've always loved listening to music. I'd even say that it's my number 1 hobby right above video games. I used to exclusively listen to prog rock until I was 15. That birthday I got a copy of Godspeed You The Black Emperor's Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven. I love that album to death and it's also what got me into non prog related music. I've discovered this horrible forum called DTF.  :biggrin: I've discovered some gems thanks to stal- following some people from this website. I've gotten into so many bands in the past year it's freaking mind blowing.

Now,what's new on this list? Well,for once it's not only prog. So there is gonna be some oddballs which to me is what makes a list enjoyable to begin with. I will also only have one album per artist. I'd love to have I&W,SFAM and SDOIT on my top 20 but I wanted to limit myself more in order to have some more variety. There are gonna be albums here that I thought was god awful at first but loved after many more listens. Even though my favorite genre is Prog Rock/Metal, I wanted to have a bigger picture (oh god...) on my second top 50 list. Anyways,I will start when I find the paper where I wrote down my top 50. It's prob somewhere at school. Yes,I wrote this list during random chemistry lessons. Not the writeups though.  :biggrin:

So,here are 10 albums that could have made the cut...but didn't.

Baroness - Blue Record
Björk - Vespertine
Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
Justice - Cross
Mastodon - Crack The Skye
Oceansize - Frames
Penguin Cafe Orchestra - Music From The Penguin Cafe
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (Too recent...)
Talking Heads - Remain In Light
Yes - Fragile

It really hurts not having some of those in my top 50. (Especially Fragile and Remain In Light...)

Next update is tomorrow!  :tup
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 02:50:24 PM by Lolzeez »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. Introduction + Honorable Mentions
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 02:36:35 PM »
I don't think I followed your previous list (at least not actively), but this time I'll surely do that!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 02:37:57 PM »
I don't think I followed your previous list (at least not actively), but this time I'll surely do that!
Hopefully you'll get to discover some gems.  :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 02:45:10 PM »
Will follow!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 02:45:22 PM »
hey Lolzeez, does this replace your first list?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 05:52:14 PM »
If that variety is any sign of what's to come, we are in for a real treat.   :D

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 06:15:22 PM »
I really enjoyed following your last list, so I'm in!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 08:50:22 PM »
hey Lolzeez, does this replace your first list?
Yup. I rewrote the entire list.

Offline adace

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 08:56:11 PM »
following

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 09:43:31 PM »
I don't know if anyone would take some 16 year old teenager's list seriously. But if so,jump in!
Well most 16 year olds' lists, yeah I probably wouldn't bother. :lol Definitely following yours though, I know it'll be interesting. :tup

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 09:46:01 PM »
I seem to recall lots of diverse and interesting choices in the first one, I'm sure V2 will be no different. Fire away.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 12:45:04 AM »
Hopefully you'll get to discover some gems.  :tup
Well, I have my roulette and my "to-buy" list is pretty long already, so we'll see... It's always nice to read threads like this though.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 01:16:03 AM »
Following...

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 03:26:27 AM »
I don't know if anyone would take some 16 year old teenager's list seriously. But if so,jump in!
Well, you know million times more about music than i when i was at your age  :biggrin:
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 09:58:59 AM »
following and shit.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 01:20:43 PM »
Let's go!

50.Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime (1988)

Starting the list with a classic. Operation Mindcrime is my first prog metal album that is non-DT. And my first impressions weren't the best. I found it overly long,tiring and just average. Couple years later,I wanted to re-listen cause I had recently started to get into other Prog Metal bands like Pain Of Salvation,Haken and the all mighty Opeth. Queensryche isn't the kind of prog that's about the complex time signatures etc. It's a little different. It has an 80s vibe without crossing the cheese border and it also has some of the best guitar solos I've heard from the 80s. The songs all have an excellent flow to them and the album just rules from start to finish. I can't pick a clear favorite but today I'm really into Revolution Coming. (Edit:It's Revolution Calling you idiot.)

Genre:Progressive Metal
Favorite Tracks:Revolution Calling,Operation Mindcrime,The Needle Lies,EYES OF A STRANGAAAAAH!

49.The Velvet Underground - White Light White Heat (1968)

I find the "banana album" to be extremely overrated. I dislike the ear screeching violins and Nico's boring voice. BUT,WLWH is a totally different story. When I went to London for the first time,the first record store I went to was called "Sister Ray" named after the 17 minute beast from this album. Sister Ray,while being a kickass record store with cute cashiers,is also the first noise rock song of all time. The song has a really cool 3 chord riff throughout the entire song but what really makes it for me is the roaring Hammond. Unlike the violin from the previous album,the Hammond actually adds to the music instead of mindlessly torturing my ears. The Gift is another favorite of mine. It's not even a proper song. It's a poem that Lou Reed wrote when he was young on top of some cool instrumentation. The poem comes from the left channel and the music comes from the right. It's quite cool. The title track is also one of the stronger songs. It's kinda like Sunday Morning from the previous album. It's a straight forward catchy rocker. It's quite fun. Overall,this album is a must hear for everyone. It really surprised me and I hope it surprises you too.

Genre:Psychedelic Rock,Noise Rock
Favorite Tracks:White Light White Heat,The Gift,Sister Ray

48.Portishead - Dummy (1994)

I blindly bought the vinyl press of this album for a pretty cheap price. I knew that it was trip-hop,a genre that I had never heard before,but that was it. Coming home and playing the vinyl to hear it for the first time was an awesome experience. Mysterons is a really nice opener and introduction to the band. Beth's gorgeous voice is really the highlight of this track which is on top of some really nice beats. This album really kicks ass on a good stereo. Another highlight is Sour Times. The song has a really cool vibe to it which goes perfectly with Beth's voice. Her voice is really some of the creepiest and loveliest voices I've ever heard. Wandering Star is probably the catchiest song on the album,the verses flow nicely on top of the instrumentation. (The blackness,the darkness,forever…) The song also has a really awesome "solo" section. In conclusion,just give this a try. It's easy to find and just a great addition to any record collection.

Genre:Trip Hop,Electronic
Favorite Tracks:Mysterons,Sour Times,Wandering Star
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 02:11:25 PM by Lolzeez »

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 01:33:01 PM »
I want my "Bands and albums to check out" list to grow even more so I will be following.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline jsem

Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums (v.2) v. 2 Classics and 1 Not So Much
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 01:37:23 PM »
Revolution Calling*

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 01:39:53 PM »
Oh god.  :facepalm:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 01:46:26 PM »
Dummy is a fantastic album!

Offline adace

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 02:15:24 PM »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 02:24:32 PM »
Dummy is great. Not really a fan of noise-rock or Queensryche.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 06:19:56 PM »
2 classics and 1 not so much? I only see classics there  ;)
Ok Dummy and White Light are in another league  :hat
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 06:22:18 PM »
White Light/White Heat and Dummy :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart White Light would probably make my list and Dummy would probably be top 10.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 06:50:10 PM »
I don't know the other two, but O:M is always an awesome choice!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 06:55:57 PM »
The not so much is O:M because secretly you know it sucks, right? :neverusethis:

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »
what a TERRIBLE post!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2013, 08:06:14 PM »
You will eventually learn that Mindcrime is/should be on the Mt. Rushmore of concept albums.  (American reference, not sure how many international DTFers get it, sorry, it's a mountain with 4 of our "best" presidents carved into it)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2013, 11:28:28 PM »
2 classics and 1 not so much? I only see classics there  ;)
Ok Dummy and White Light are in another league  :hat
WLWH isn't as popular as the "banana".

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2013, 11:30:11 PM »
WLWH is the first noise-rock album by like 10 years, I think that warrants classic status itself, haha.

I prefer it to The Velvet Underground & Nico personally.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2013, 11:36:08 PM »
Haven't listened to Mindcrime in a while but it's a great album.

I'm not familiar with White Light White Heat but I think I'd like it. I listened to The Velvet Underground a few years ago and they didn't do much for me, but my musical tastes have changed quite a bit since then.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2013, 12:52:11 AM »
Dummy is great. Not really a fan of noise-rock or Queensryche.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2013, 08:07:04 AM »
You will eventually learn that Mindcrime is/should be on the Mt. Rushmore of concept albums.  (American reference, not sure how many international DTFers get it, sorry, it's a mountain with 4 of our "best" presidents carved into it)

Yeah, I know Mt. Rushmore and I agree. Musically it's not my favourite QR album, but the concept and storyline are just damn great.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2013, 08:33:26 AM »
That gave me an idea.  what does belong on the Mt Rushmore of concept albums?  And even better, can someone photoshop the album art onto a picture of Mt. Rushmore?  ;D

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2013, 02:31:33 PM »
47.Weather Report - Heavy Weather (1977)

This is some awesome jazz fusion with just a little touch of pop. Weather Report has always been one of my favorite Jazz Fusion bands along with Return To Forever and Pat Metheny Group. But sometimes,making your music more catchy can elevate it without making it more complex or "epic". Devin Townsend Project's Addicted! is a quite good example. That album is my personal favorite because it's more enjoyable then Terria,my second favorite. Well,Heavy Weather is slightly better than the self titled because it's just more fun! Zawinul's keys are like the usual,are a highlight. Besides having the coolest name ever,Joe Zawinul is one of the most badass keyboard players. Jaco Pastorius is just mindblowing,laying down some crazy badass bass fills. Wayne Shorter needs no introduction,just a legend of jazz music. This is also to my knowledge,the first album from the first album from the Pastorius era. And yes,this album has the jazz fusion classic,Birdland. The song has one of the greatest grooves I've heard in the whole genre. It's a little more pop than their previous efforts but to me,this is the greatest Weather Report track. The song makes me shake my head every freaking time and it just sounds like the band is really enjoying themselves which is just great!

Genre:Jazz Fusion
Favorite Tracks:Birdland,Remark You Made,Palladium

46.Emerson Lake & Palmer - Self Titled (1970)

Some people really underrate this band's discography thanks to some of their awful albums during the late 70s like Love Beach and Works Volume 2. (I don't mind Volume 1.) Some downright slammed the band itself because Greg Lake left King Crimson for this band. (I prefer John Wetton anyways…) But COME ON! This is the band that brought us such amazing songs like Take A Pebble and Three Fates. There is a bunch of cool riffs here too. For example,the riff to Knife Edge is the first prog riff I have besides the "Octavarium Theme" and that riff just kicks ass. The piano riff on Take A Pebble is also really cool with the bass in the background. Lake's vocals really add to this track. It kinda reminds me of his performance on Moonchild from The Court Of The Crimson King. The song also has this cool instrumental section. But there is absolutely zero wankery. There is some excellent piano work from Emerson and then Lake comes back at the end. Oh and yes,Lucky Man is one of the most memorable prog ballad ever. Some people despise the moog solo on the song for some reason. But screw them,it rules. Yes it's kinda out of place but it gets me every time I hear it. Overall,this is an awesome prog rock album. It might be controversial that I put it above Fragile from Yes. But listen up,I prefer Yes' discography to ELP's and Yes as a band to ELP. BUT,this album is from start to finish masterpiece. Thank you ELP. Now I'm gonna hang myself if I ever hear Love Beach again.

Genre:Prog Rock
Favorite Tracks:Take A Pebble,Three Fates,Lucky Man

45.Devin Townsend Project - Addicted (2009)

Okay,listen up. I'm not a huge fan of Devin Townsend. I have not listened to every album from him and actually find couple of his "classics" overrated like Ziltoid The Omniscient. His albums have always lacked something for me. Besides Terria cause that album is fucking awesome. But I feel like I enjoy Addicted a tad more. Why? It's just a little more fun. It's a really cool combination of pop and prog(ish) metal. Devin is really good at mixing these two genres together. He also has Anneke up his sleeve this time which is probably one of my favorite female vocalists. Her voice really adds to the awesomeness of the album. There are many songs like Ih-Ah and Hyperdrive! who are just extremely catchy and fun to listen to. Heck,Hyperdrive! just popped up in my head. It's so catchy that I actually started singing the song in the elevator the other day. :lol Awake! is the epic of the album but it still has the popish elements. Now on paper,that doesn't sound so attractive. But the results just sound incredible. Awake is one of my favorite DTP songs. BUT,I prefer Hyperdrive! thanks to Anneke and how much better it is than the ZTO version. Even though I think that Terria is the better album,I enjoy Addicted much more.

Genre:Pop/Prog Metal
Favorite Tracks:Hyperdrive! and Awake!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 02:36:07 PM by Lolzeez »