Author Topic: ?'s roulette v. IT'S OVER  (Read 16230 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ?'s roulette v. Round 4 results!
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2013, 09:25:11 PM »
Sent
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2013, 04:42:46 AM »
Not even 24 hours have passed since I posted the previous results and I've received almost everyone's submission already! :tup I've listened to each song once and one of them is so amazing that I feel like rating it 10/10 :hefdaddy

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2013, 04:50:29 AM »
Re-sent mine.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2013, 06:45:50 AM »
Sent already.  :biggrin:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2013, 06:56:01 AM »
Not even 24 hours have passed since I posted the previous results and I've received almost everyone's submission already! :tup I've listened to each song once and one of them is so amazing that I feel like rating it 10/10 :hefdaddy

Who's missing?

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2013, 06:58:22 AM »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2013, 09:39:54 AM »
C'mon Windmaster!

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2013, 09:40:26 AM »
Just sent!  :)
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline jsem

« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2013, 09:44:38 AM »
I like lurking in other people's roulettes from time to time. And reading the results for round two I have to thank Dark Castle for submitting that CHVRCHES song. Reading the write-up made me want to listen and man, it was sonically wonderful. Eargasm. Thank you.

:)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2013, 10:21:51 AM »
I like lurking in other people's roulettes from time to time. And reading the results for round two I have to thank Dark Castle for submitting that CHVRCHES song. Reading the write-up made me want to listen and man, it was sonically wonderful. Eargasm. Thank you.

:laugh:
That's great to hear man!  :tup

Offline jsem

« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2013, 10:37:57 AM »
It reminded me why I love music. Always love that feeling.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ?'s roulette v. Round 5 results - someone hit the jackpot!
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2013, 11:23:01 AM »

I'm glad my write-up made you listen to that song! :tup It seems that this roulette is a good way of discovering new music not only for myself, but others as well :D

ROUND 5 RESULTS

Onno: Ludovico Einaudi - I Giorni

This is a piano-only piece and I love the sound of piano, so it was a good choice! This song sounds like it could've been in some film. Maybe it's kind of repetitive, but the melodies and the feel are so lovely that I don't mind :heart Instead of being boring it makes you close your eyes and begin to relax.

9/10

Dark Castle: Mouth of the Architect - Sharpen Your Axes

The title of the song and the name of the band made me think "this is probably some post-metal stuff" and I was right :lol This song is alright, but the clean vocals sound kind of amateurish, the dissonant leads put me off and I'm not sold on the heavy part in the second half. That said, the ambient ending is pretty cool and saves the song.

6/10

Scorpion: Grayceon - War's End

There's some nice cello playing here and the song sounds a little bit jazzy to my ears. The atmosphere is decent, but not captivating enough, because I felt kind of bored by it at times. I can't put my finger on it, but it feels like the song lacks warmth or something... dunno!

7/10

LieLowTheWantedMan: Hammock - I Can Almost See You

The opening chord alone sounds very warm and inviting, but the song itself is something even better: I was listening to it at the noon while it was snowing outside and that made the experience magical. Not a lot of songs give me shivers, but this one did. Thanks for sending some of the most beautiful and touching music I've come across recently and congrats for getting the top score, LieLow!

10/10

Nekov: Fripp & Eno - Evening Star

This music sounds pretty magical and unique! The keyboard patches are cool and I like how the guitar sounds like violin. It's hard to imagine this was recorded in the 70s, the production makes it feel timeless. The song is pretty long and a bit repetitive, but just like the piece Onno sent, this is music that makes you forget time and place, not a snoozefest.

8.5/10

Lolzeez: Explosions in the Sky - Your Hand in Mine

I like the title, because Paradise Lost have a song with the same name :P But seriously, this is great post-rock! The song is driven by lovely clean guitars and there's some neat drumming in a few sections. I love the atmosphere and the structure of this tune!

9.5/10

MoraWintersoul: Taranis - Dominion

The YT description says this is epic folk/black metal, but luckily there are no cheesy medieval dance melodies or a strong BM vibe that would turn me off. Instead, here's a neat, epic mid-tempo metal song with some pleasant atmospheric sections here and there. The vocals are alright and the song is well-constructed - no complaints!

8/10

WindMaster: *shels - Journey to the Plains

WindMaster continues with post-metal! But does *shels appeal to me as much as ISIS did in the last round? Unfortunately the answer is no, but I like the exotic instrumentation and the song has its cool moments. Still, I feel like it's missing something... maybe some section(s) with clean guitars could be nice? It worked really well in the ISIS song.

7.5/10

Current ranking:

Lolzeez - 41.5
Nekov - 41
LieLowTheWantedMan - 40
MoraWintersoul - 38.5
Onno - 38.5
WindMaster - 37.5
Scorpion - 37
Dark Castle - 35

Lolzeez has managed to edge out Nekov by half a point and LLTWM and Onno have climbed up thanks to the strong songs they sent this time.

ROUND 6: Open

I didn't make the first round open like most people do, because I wanted you to get some kind of idea of my taste in music first. It may still be hard to figure out though :lol This is your only chance to send something with no restrictions, so try your best! You'll once again have 48 hours to send.

At this point it's also time to introduce a bonus point system (stolen from Mr. Wasteland - thanks for the idea, Marco! :D) - if the person in the last place (currently Dark Castle) manages to send the best song in some round, I'll grant them a bonus point to even things out a bit and give some extra motivation! :) I originally had some ideas for ways of giving bonus points in specific rounds, but I realized that they would probably go to those who are doing well anyway, so I scrapped the system.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2013, 11:28:30 AM »
Damn. I will try to send later tonight.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2013, 11:58:48 AM »
Glad you liked it! His music has been used in some films and commercials, so yeah, it could have been in some film :P

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2013, 12:11:24 PM »
I wasn't sure if that was going to work or not  :smiley:

Sent for next round

Offline Ruba

« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2013, 02:24:58 PM »

Some electro-postdubprog perhaps?

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2013, 03:02:18 PM »
Perhaps...

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2013, 03:28:30 PM »
Even though I passed Nekov,I gotta admit,that Fripp & Eno album is one of the best ambient albums I've ever heard.
Oh and I was thinking of sending Hammock too. Especially the song "Together Alone" since it's one of the songs that made me shed man/teen tears.  :blush

Some electro-postdubprog perhaps?
Don't send any Post Avan Jazzcore. That's my job.  :lol

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2013, 03:32:06 PM »
Thinking on what to send, wondering if I should send a new band to my ears that I really enjoy, or if I should send something metal.
Choices.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2013, 06:48:56 PM »
Yay, top score! :D

CHVRCHES is great! The album is a big recommendation. :tup

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2013, 08:07:25 PM »
Glad you liked it! His music has been used in some films and commercials, so yeah, it could have been in some film :P

Ludovico Einaudi is incredible! I didn't realize there were other fans here.  :tup :tup
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2013, 01:41:46 AM »

Ludovico Einaudi is incredible! I didn't realize there were other fans here.  :tup :tup
:tup I really want to go to one of his concerts but they get sold out so quickly :/

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2013, 07:38:48 AM »
Well, now I have to listen to the Hammock song. Hopefully I can appreciate even without the rain falling outside.

And YAY for Ludovico Einaudi, he's a great great composer and grandson of one of the earliest (and greatest) Presidents of Italy! Most of his production is just beautiful, I love listening to him.  :azn:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2013, 07:59:12 AM »
Well, now I have to listen to the Hammock song. Hopefully I can appreciate even without the rain falling outside.
It actually reminds me a bit of the title-track of KevMo's Shine, I'm sure you'll like it!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2013, 03:56:55 PM »
Has everyone sent yet?

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2013, 04:01:23 PM »
Not me! I'll think of something.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2013, 12:40:23 AM »
I need to write a response paper for school, so the results will come later tomorrow. But hey, the progression of the roulette has been pretty fast up until now, so I hope it's ok :)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2013, 07:58:21 AM »
Edit:SEEEENT
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 09:17:13 AM by Lolzeez »

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2013, 08:57:28 AM »
I don't think I did it right so please forgive me haha.

EDIT: oh i missed the part about where its a competition... oops haha IN LATE FOR FUNZIES

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2013, 10:30:35 AM »
Yeah, you're a bit late to the party and I wouldn't have taken in more than 8 participants anyway :lol I appreciate your interest though :)

Only Scorp has yet to send and I've listened to all the songs I've received so far twice, but I've spent 90% of the day at the computer trying to work on the paper I mentioned earlier, so I need a break... I promise I'll post the results tomorrow!

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2013, 12:20:36 PM »
Either way, should listen to them because they're awesome.  :metal

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2013, 12:23:15 PM »
Alright, I will :D

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ?'s roulette v. Round 6 results - another top score!
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2013, 06:34:00 AM »
ROUND 6 RESULTS

Nekov: The Dear Hunter - 1878

I had seen this band mentioned so often at DTF that I thought this would be standard prog metal, but I was wrong :lol Instead of heaviness I can hear a combination of indie and 70s stuff. The verses are good, but unfortunately the chorus gets on my nerves with its repetitiveness and the whiny falsetto vocals. Too bad, because I appreciate the instrumental section and the great organ playing.

7/10

Dark Castle: Man Man - Head On (Hold On to Your Heart)

I find it fitting that the music video is black-and-white, because the song has a kind of retro feeling. The chorus is really catchy and I could see this song becoming a hit! The little keyboard solo is cool and I like the strings. I find this kind of music unique and refreshing :)

9/10

MoraWintersoul: Leprous - Restless

Leprous is a familiar name (I think they supported Amorphis on one tour)... The alt rock vibe of the verses is cool and I like the guitar playing there. The heavier bits are neat as well and I like how the song manages to pack enough contrasts into 3½ minutes.

8/10

Onno: Leprous - Echo

Cool that I got to experience both the straightforward and the epic side of Leprous in this round - Echo is 9½ minutes long. The song has many great bits, but I think it could've benefited from being trimmed down a little bit. The singer also overuses the falsetto IMO...

7.5/10

WindMaster: The Ocean - Demersal: Cognitive Dissonance

The intro is really cool and the drums and guitars sound great! Unfortunately the song goes downhill when the vocals start. Somehow the screaming makes the song sound more monotonous than it actually is... Luckily the doomy part towards the end is great, so the song ends on a high note.

6.5/10

LieLowTheWantedMan: Unwound - Terminus

Um... I don't know what to say about this song. It's pretty unique and there are interesting sections for sure, but for some reason it didn't properly click with me. Maybe it's the production, the minimalistic vocal approach or something... dunno. I have to say I love the last 2½ minutes though!

6/10

Lolzeez: Coheed and Cambria - Domino the Destitute

C&C is another band whose existence I've been aware of but never listened to. The vocalist has a pretty unique voice that I disliked on the first listen, but I warmed up to it a little after that, although I still don't love it. The song itself sounds metalish, but not that heavy, which I find interesting. This isn't exactly a hit song, but has enough catchy bits and is pretty enjoyable.

8.5/10

Scorpion: Buckethead - Hills of Eternity

You said pretty much everyone you've sent this song to has loved it - luckily for you I'm no exception! I love the laidback feel of the song, there are some lovely melodies and even suspended chords, which I'm a sucker for :D The little soloing is really tasteful and the subtle sound effects are cool. I wouldn't have expected music like this from Buckethead knowing what he looks like and having heard the shreddy song from some Guitar Hero game my friend had years ago! I was thinking I'd rate this 9.5, but it hit me in the right spot, so I have to give a 10 - congrats!

10/10

Current ranking:

Lolzeez - 50
Nekov - 48
Scorpion - 47
MoraWintersoul - 46.5
LieLowTheWantedMan - 46
Onno - 46
WindMaster - 44
Dark Castle - 44

Scorp jumps straight to the 3rd place and Lolz is more clearly in the lead now.

ROUND 7: New

Most of the music I discover tends to be from the 90s, or at least from the previous decade. I think I may be missing out on some new stuff, so I ask you to send songs from albums that have been released in the 2010s. The deadline for submissions is, once again, 48 hours from now.

Additionally, I'll listen to the song Scrub206 sent me and post my impressions at some point :D

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2013, 08:44:52 AM »
Nice! Will think of something to send shortly, I have a few songs that are potential candidates, will send during the day.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2013, 10:02:32 AM »
Yay, I'm glad you enjoyed the song I sent! :laugh: