Author Topic: ?'s roulette v. IT'S OVER  (Read 16378 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: ?'s roulette v. Final round!
« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2013, 01:30:07 PM »
Sorry about the delay, I had other things to do (yes, it's possible :omg:) and on the top of that the quality of the songs was so consistent that it was hard to decide the scores. I actually had to give up my system of giving everyone a different rating, hopefully you're happy! The write-ups may once again be a tad short, but here we go:

ROUND 8 RESULTS

Scorpion: Pain of Salvation - Never Learn to Fly

POS is another name on the endless list of bands I've heard of but never really listened to before. Luckily this song left a good first impression! This is a lovely ballad with great melodies. It sounds kind of optimistic at times, but for the most part it's very melancholic. The short louder part with rough vocals sticks out and at first I thought it disrupts the flow, but I got used to it on the next listens.

9.5/10

Nekov: Nitrous Gas - Frightened Rabbit

You said you don't listen to a lot of melancholic music and it's true that this isn't the most miserable song out there :lol That said, I do enjoy the song. I like the clean guitars and there are some neat vocal harmonies. This tune is pretty short and doesn't exactly match my idea of the theme, but giving less than 7 points feels wrong, so I'll go easy on you :)

7/10

Dark Castle: Baroness - Stretchmarker

Nice little instrumental! You said you'd like this to be played at your funeral and I could see it fitting that environment. The guitar playing is beautiful and the layering works really well. Not much else to say, I really like this!

9/10

MoraWintersoul: Pain of Salvation - Lilium Cruentus

The second POS song I received and the first live clip anyone has sent in this roulette (IIRC). The melodies are good and the orchestra is used very tastefully, but I don't like the yelling vocals at 2:17-2:33 too much, which drags the song down a little bit. That's just a little complaint though! On a side note, now I can see why the girls at DTF like Gildenlöw so much :D

8/10

Onno: Arthur Rubinstein - Chopin Sonata No. 2 in B Flat Minor, Op 35 (III Marche funebre)

Classical music... nice! At 9 minutes' length this piece is pretty long, but manages to stay interesting for the most part. I could pick this for my funeral if any popular music isn't allowed :D

8/10

Lolzeez: Gregor Samsa - Even Numbers

This song is 10:06 at length, but I didn't want to be a petty moron so I didn't ask Lolz to resend :lol Unfortunately this song drags on a bit more than Onno's submission so I have to rate it lower, but I do like the atmosphere and the female vocals.

7.5/10

LieLowTheWantedMan: Pain of Salvation - Iter Impius

POS are clearly great funeral music, eh? :lol The piano intro is awesome and I love the flute. The build-up is well done, Gildenlöw's vox are pretty good and the climax and the ending is climactic.

8.5/10

WindMaster: Moving Mountains - Apsides

This seems to be some kind of alt rock or indie... The song has a neat atmosphere and I like the nostalgic-sounding keyboards. I was waiting for a proper climax that never arrived, but this is still far from a letdown.

8.5/10

Current ranking:

Scorpion - 65
MoraWintersoul - 64
Lolzeez - 62.5
Nekov - 62
WindMaster - 61.5
LieLowTheWantedMan - 60.5
Onno - 59.5
Dark Castle - 59.5

ROUND 9: Encore

I want moar! This is officially the final round and I want to end the roulette on a high note, so here's a little twist: I've picked the artists for you! I'd like to hear more from the bands you people received (some of) your highest scores with, so here's the list:

Dark Castle: CHVRCHES
LieLowTheWantedMan: Hammock
Lolzeez: Talk Talk
MoraWintersoul: Enochian Theory
Nekov: Pure Reason Revolution
Onno: Mark Knopfler
Scorpion: Buckethead
WindMaster: ISIS

On the top of that, I've put the time limit rule to rest, which means that you can send a song as long as you want. But think carefully before sending a huge epic! :biggrin: Another thing worth pointing out is that your songs will be rated out of 20, which means that the standings may still change quite a lot! You have 4 days to think carefully and choose a song to send.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: October 27, 2013, 01:44:25 PM »
Cool. :)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: October 27, 2013, 01:58:50 PM »
Just send Together Alone and win this.  :biggrin:

Oh and fuck yes. It's gonna take me some thinking to pick a favorite Talk Talk song,so I'll take my time.  :tup

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #143 on: October 27, 2013, 02:06:48 PM »
Great that you liked PoS! You should definitely check them out further, I'd say either start with TPE or RL, but really, you can't go wrong with any of the first four albums.

I don't really like that you have picked a band for me, to be honest, but it's your roulette.  :mehlin Let's see if I can repeat my success of my first Buckethead submission.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #144 on: October 27, 2013, 02:15:52 PM »
On a side note, now I can see why the girls at DTF like Gildenlöw so much :D
Oh, no shit :lol

omg ET has so many great tunes I need to think carefully :tup

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: October 27, 2013, 02:32:41 PM »
Great that you liked PoS! You should definitely check them out further, I'd say either start with TPE or RL, but really, you can't go wrong with any of the first four albums.

I don't really like that you have picked a band for me, to be honest, but it's your roulette.  :mehlin Let's see if I can repeat my success of my first Buckethead submission.
Good luck picking one song,he has like 50 albums.  :lol

No seriously,what are his best 5 albums? I'd love to check some material out but there's just too much.  :biggrin:

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: October 27, 2013, 02:44:54 PM »
I'm not sure, because I haven't listened to all of his albums - like you said, he has a lot, but those that I dig most are, in no order:

- Colma
- Population Override
- Inbred Mountain
- Spinal Clock
- Monsters and Robots
- Bucketheadland 2
- Shadows Between the Sky

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: October 27, 2013, 02:45:37 PM »
Can't wait to send you some more ISIS!
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: October 27, 2013, 02:47:50 PM »
I don't really like that you have picked a band for me, to be honest, but it's your roulette.  :mehlin
Yes, it is and my word is your command :biggrin: I wanted to save you guys from the trouble and in most cases I knew exactly what bands I wanted to hear more of.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #149 on: October 27, 2013, 04:11:39 PM »
Glad you liked it! Cool theme for the last round, I'll try to think of something ASAP.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: October 27, 2013, 06:35:49 PM »
Just send Together Alone and win this.  :biggrin:
I'll consider it. ;) There's quite a few good Hammock tunes I could send.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: October 27, 2013, 09:55:09 PM »
Btw sent!  :tup

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: October 28, 2013, 08:28:13 AM »
Sent
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #153 on: October 28, 2013, 08:30:55 AM »
Sent.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2013, 12:41:39 AM »
I've received 5 songs... I know I gave you 4 days, but if you want to get the results earlier I recommend you to send soon :)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2013, 08:42:12 AM »
Tom and WindMaster, will you please hang hurry up? I'll travel to Helsinki tomorrow and it would be nice for everyone if I could post the results before that.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ?'s roulette v. IT'S OVER
« Reply #156 on: November 01, 2013, 04:35:41 AM »
ROUND 9 RESULTS:

Lolzeez: Talk Talk - The Rainbow

The intro is pretty long and I think the full band should come in earlier, but when that finally happens the song gets good. The mellow vibe is relaxing and there's some great keyboard work on piano and organ. Unfortunately the guitar(?) sounds distractingly ear-splitting at times (see 7:15) and as I said the intro feels unnecessarily long, which prevents me from giving any more points.

15/20

LieLowTheWantedMan: Hammock - Raising Your Voice... Trying to Stop an Echo

Wow, I had no idea post-rock could be this catchy and accessible! This song has a wonderful atmosphere that reminds me a bit of dream pop and shoegazing like Slowdive, but with much clearer production. I find this quite different from the previous Hammock song you sent me, but that's not a bad thing!

19.5/20

MoraWintersoul: Enochian Theory - Nisi credideritis, Non intelligetis

Alright, this song is heavier than the previous ET tune I got from you! The atmosphere is enjoyable, the strings are once again used tastefully and there are some powerful sections. I didn't expect the growls at the end though! One funny thing I noticed is that the delay-laden clean guitars in the second verse remind me of the Leprous song you sent me :D

17/20

Dark Castle: CHVRCHES - Lungs

This song may be a bit closer to modern pop than Gun, having lots of effects. I don't like this tune as much, but the chorus is catchy and the harmonies are awesome. I would've ditched the male vocals though :lol

16/20

Nekov: Pure Reason Revolution: The Twyncyn / Trembilin Willows

I like the way the vocal melody follows the guitar in the first verse! The strings give a kind of dramatic and cinematic feel, but fit the song. The heavier second half is the highlight for me, having a catchy chorus and some cool quick vocals that remind me of Tool.

18.5/20

Onno: Mark Knopfler - Redbud Tree

I enjoy the melancholic and stripped-down feel of this song and the little guitar solo is great. Not much else to say - short but sweet tune!

16.5/20

Scorpion: Buckethead - Shadows Between the Sky

This is like a perfect continuation of the previous Buckethead tune I received! I love the atmosphere :heart Whatever he does at 1:24 sounds really cool :D There are some quick runs on the acoustic guitar, but they fit the song and don't feel wanky at all.

19/20

WindMaster: ISIS - Hall of the Dead

The rhythmic riffing is cool and the parts with clean vocals are really great. 3:50 reminds me a bit of the bass groove under the solo in DT's The Looking Glass :D Maybe this song could've been shortened a little bit, because my attention was drifting away at times, but I still like it.

15.5/20

And now it's time for the final results! ARE YOU READY?! I'll reveal your scores and say something to all of you:

8. Dark Castle - 75.5

Your taste in metal is more extreme than mine and therefore a lot of the heavy stuff you sent wasn't exactly what I'm looking for. However, you truly shone in the non-metal territory (maybe with the exception of the RHCP song): I really liked the Man Man song and the Baroness instrumental and some other people (including a few of your fellow participants!) seemed to love CHVRCHES just like I did, so you deserve to be proud of yourself :tup

7. Onno - 76

You had a strong start, but something happened after that... You never managed to get 9.5 or 10 points, which may explain your position, but you sent the best Devin song I've ever heard and the (modern) classical music definitely stood out, so I'm happy you were in this roulette.

6. WindMaster - 77

Your scores were pretty inconsistent, but you stuck to your guns and there were a couple of hits, like Ne Obliviscaris and ISIS. You seem to know your post-rock/metal well :D

5. Lolzeez - 77.5

You were inconsistent as well, but most of the time you did quite well. Unfortunately that Deafheaven song was fatal for your success :lol Anyway, I know I'll get (and already got) some recommendations from you after this, so this is not (or shouldn't be) the end of the world.

4. LieLowTheWantedMan - 80

Some of the stuff you sent was a bit too out there for my taste, but you really nailed it with Hammock! You can be sure I'll check them out, perhaps Sweet Trip too - the song I got was really nice.

3. Nekov - 80.5

You sent some indie/happy stuff and that kind of music is outside my comfort zone, but considering that you're in the top 3 you can be happy. Pure Reason Revolution is one of my greatest discoveries in this roulette :) You didn't win, but when it comes to you vs Lolz, you had the last laugh :lol

2. MoraWintersoul - 81

You were familiar with my taste in music beforehand and that definitely played in your favor. You were also more consistent than your rivals, which helped you climb up when the guys who had been in the lead at first started to get some lower scores. Just like Lolz, I bet you'll give me some recommendations even after this roulette, and you can be sure I'll listen to them :D

1. Scorpion - 84

Congrats, you're the winner! I knew we have some common favorites, but after the first few rounds I wasn't sure whether you'd be a potential winner. Luckily you truly stepped up and delivered after that! The trinity of Buckethead, Ne Obliviscaris and POS was very helpful for you :tup

A big thank you to everyone who participated in the roulette or followed this thread! :) I discovered some awesome music and everyone had their chance to shine at some point, which makes me happy. I'm kind of surprised this is over so quickly, but I had a lot of time for listening. Well, I got this out of the way before becoming too busy and those next in the waiting list must be happy as well :D

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #157 on: November 01, 2013, 04:47:56 AM »
Congrats Scorp. :)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: November 01, 2013, 06:08:54 AM »
So Close. Congrats Tom!  :tup
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #159 on: November 01, 2013, 06:11:24 AM »
I had a feeling Tom would win, excellent work :tup thanks for running this Ville, I had a lot of fun.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: November 01, 2013, 08:58:08 AM »
Viva Ecuador!  :lol

Thanks for running this roulette dude. I hope I gave you enough interesting songs!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #161 on: November 01, 2013, 11:01:06 AM »
Gratuliere Tom, a deserved win! Thanks for hosting the Roulette Ville, I enjoyed it and I'm glad I might have sent you some music you liked :)

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2013, 03:49:22 PM »
Congrats Tom! Thanks for a fun time, ?.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: November 01, 2013, 09:16:20 PM »
Woohoo! Didn't think I'd win that one, glad I did. That makes two victories for me. :victorydance: