Author Topic: The Song Roulette Tracker Thread 3.0 - v. Betting on red just this once  (Read 205811 times)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • Observe The Train
Re: The Song Roulette Tracker Thread 3.0 - v. Betting on red just this once
« Reply #2065 on: September 25, 2022, 11:14:07 AM »
If you listen to a lot of music, you listen to a lot of music. Don't feel bad about a large banlist!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• Placid Eruption
« Reply #2066 on: September 25, 2022, 11:27:52 AM »
I'd feel bad if I only had a couple people in the roulette though.  The round themes could make some people feel boxed in as it is even with no overt bans, but that's part of the idea, to see what creative entries people come up with, that might not be obvious at first glance, but make sense in retrospect. 
“Music washes away the dust of every day life.”  Art Blakey.

Offline Puppies_On_Acid

• We are only immortal
  • For a limited time
« Reply #2067 on: September 25, 2022, 11:35:44 AM »
That's one thing I've been struggling with, actually.  I don't want to artificially limit participation too much.  I came up with a very lengthy list at first that would probably appear intimidating and turn people away.  It was based on artists I've given 4.5 or 5.0 ratings to albums from on my Rate Your Music account.  Which is quite a lot.  But even then, there are tons of individual songs I know from artists I haven't rated higher than 4.0.  I'd prefer people send music I haven't rated yet, but if someone has a more compact library they'd still certainly be welcome to participate, and could send music maybe I've already heard, but am not deeply familiar with.  But even as much music as I've heard, it's hard to imagine that pretty much everyone wouldn't have a solid set of artists I don't really have an opinion on yet. 

So I'm wondering if the easiest thing might be just to link my RYM account, and people can enter their artists into the search box to see if I've rated the album.  The higher the rating, the more likely I'm already familiar with the material.  4.5-5.0 probably means I already love it, so there's no point in sending it.  3.0 and below means something about it didn't work for me.  3.5 and 4.0 is risky, there could be gold I overlooked and a few concentrated listens might bring it out, or maybe that rating is there because there's a ceiling to my level of appreciation for the artist and I might like but not necessarily love them.  And obviously artists I haven't rated is wide open.  If need be, people could PM about specific artists/albums/songs, perhaps.  And I might just need to ask people to resubmit if they send something I already know too well.
I'd be down for participating in this roulette. I missed 425's roulette due to personal tragedies, but I'm getting back on the horse, so to speak.

Also don't feel bad about having a large banned list, people will still participate. I mean look at the banned list I had in my 3rd roulette Link or in Cyril's roulettes Link. And since this will be your first roulette, you'll likely get more interest.
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Yeah, I’m clearly not gonna win, cuz I have neither the time, appetite, or skill to do the dieting part.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• Placid Eruption
« Reply #2068 on: September 25, 2022, 11:59:23 AM »
But would people prefer having a massive banned list rather than just searching my RYM? 

Offline Puppies_On_Acid

• We are only immortal
  • For a limited time
« Reply #2069 on: September 25, 2022, 12:01:58 PM »
But would people prefer having a massive banned list rather than just searching my RYM?
It's been done both ways in the past. Cyril, Ariich, and myself have all used our RYM ratings as banned lists before. Personally I'm fine with it either way.
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Yeah, I’m clearly not gonna win, cuz I have neither the time, appetite, or skill to do the dieting part.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2070 on: September 25, 2022, 12:39:24 PM »
When I did mine I just had people refer to my rym for banned music. I did get some submissions of songs that I've heard before or were familiar with but to me it wasn't that big of a deal. Hard to account for everything I've heard.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2071 on: September 25, 2022, 12:49:59 PM »
Honestly, I'm in the same boat as you and I always do it just using my RYM. In my last roulette I did post banned lists for the first three rounds (pre-90s) and next two (pre-00s) only because they were much smaller and it would be much easier for people than searching my RYM and getting almost all 21st century music. But in my previous roulettes I've just used my RYM.

Here's how I did it in my v6 roulette:

BANNED ARTISTS AND ALBUMS:

As in previous roulettes, banned artists are based on my RYM profile (https://rateyourmusic.com/~ariich – scroll down to the "music" section and you can use the "ratings" tab to browse what I've rated, but more useful is the "Search ariich's music for" bar to see if something you're thinking of is already in my list - if you really can't figure it out, just ask!). The banned rules are as follows:
  • Anything by an artist that I've ever rated 4 stars or more is completely banned.
  • For artists I’ve only rated 3.5 stars or lower, any album I’ve rated is banned but any other music of theirs is available.
  • Any songs sent in this roulette, and any artist that scores 8/10 or above, will be banned for the rest of the roulette.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #2072 on: September 25, 2022, 06:57:18 PM »
I kinda would. Streamlines it for me from the outset, rather than feeling like I’ve got a good’n and then having to search for it,
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2073 on: September 25, 2022, 07:45:37 PM »
I can manage either way., but I would personally prefer the banned list.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D
You know that a mark of a great song is if TAC hates it with a special passion.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2074 on: September 25, 2022, 10:45:27 PM »
I'd feel bad if I only had a couple people in the roulette though.

Having less participants is nice - makes the rounds go quicker. :lol You'll have enough people, trust me (including me, as we seem to have a lot of overlap in tastes).
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• Placid Eruption
« Reply #2075 on: September 26, 2022, 08:26:30 AM »
I might just do both.  Give a soft banned list, plus a link.