Author Topic: Here on DTF, I am hands-down THE biggest fan of ______ (bandname) on the forums  (Read 131752 times)

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
Re: Here on DTF, I am hands-down THE biggest fan of ______ (bandname) on the for
« Reply #525 on: December 15, 2009, 07:22:44 AM »
To be fair, I would have bought Reign in Blood a hell of a lot earlier if my FUCKING Mom would have let me.

:icwomangs:

...are you my brother?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
In your mother's defense she was probably just trying to make it so you'd listen to some good music.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
For quite a while, Slayer has been my favourite thrash band, and are a personal favourite band of mine. In terms of their material, I've heard and know all of it. Though I hardly remember Divine Intervention, Diabolus in Musica or Undisputed Attitude do to them being very below average for Slayer.

And in terms of Slayer's history, I can say I know a very good amount of it (UMH, we might just be tied.)

Oh right, UMH. I almost forgot. Take a look at the bottom right corner of Reign in Blood. Tell me what you see, okay?  ;)

For those who don't know, the artist put two boners on the album cover that apparently no one seemed to notice over the years. Not even my Dad noticed, and he's been listening to Slayer since the early 90's
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

• The hair, the legend
In your mother's defense she was probably just trying to make it so you'd listen to some good music.

Psh. YOU'D think so. She loves Rush. Too much actually. But also Yes and Genesis so I have to give her a  :tup there.

My dad's worse though. I'll never marry a minister.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Here on DTF, I am hands-down THE biggest fan of ______ (bandname) on the for
« Reply #529 on: December 15, 2009, 03:02:47 PM »
Lat, I would say that the only reason you noticed it was because you're always looking for cock, but I'll resist the temptation.

I know pretty much all of Slayer's material, aside from UA and DIM. I think Divine Intervention is still some good stuff, but like you said, not quite up to par.

As far as history, I of course know a shit ton of it.

I'm perfectly fine with being tied as biggest Slayer fan, but if you want to have a fact-off I think that'd be fun.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Psh. YOU'D think so. She loves Rush. Too much actually. But also Yes and Genesis so I have to give her a  :tup there.

So you're the product of a prog hippie and a minister, very interesting.  Explains a lot of your coolness.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
To be fair, I found out about the dongs from an issue of Revolver magazine that came out recently that was dedicated to Slayer. The artist of the album cover mentioned how he put two dicks on the album cover, and that no one seemed to notice it.

Just wondering, did you notice it before?

Also, I'm perfectly fine with sharing the e-trohpy.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: December 15, 2009, 03:06:59 PM »
To be fair, I found out about the dongs from an issue of Revolver magazine that came out recently that was dedicated to Slayer. The artist of the album cover mentioned how he put two dicks on the album cover, and that no one seemed to notice it.

Just wondering, did you notice it before?

Also, I'm perfectly fine with sharing the e-trohpy.
Didn't notice it before, but apparently I'm not alone, so yeah. Case closed.

WITH MIGHTY FURY WE SHALL STRIKE DOWN THOSE WHO THINK THEY ARE BIGGER SLAYER FANS THAN US!!  :metal

o/
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
WITH OUR POWERS COMBINED WE ARE...

/shitty captain planet joke

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #534 on: December 15, 2009, 03:14:24 PM »
WITH OUR POWERS COMBINED WE ARE...
PEOPLE WHO LEAVE SLAYER PARTNERS HANGING!!!

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
*\o

My bad.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: December 15, 2009, 03:16:28 PM »
All is forgiven.

Wanna have a Megadeth battle now?

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
now I see I can add Paradise Lost to the "list".

I'm challenging that one
Oops, forgot about you. I leave it to you then, I'm a pretty new fan.

We can share it   :millahhhh
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
I feel confident in claiming I.Q., to go along with my unchallenged claims for Yes and The Who(Yes I'll take challenges for, don't even try for The Who)

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: December 15, 2009, 03:55:11 PM »
All is forgiven.

Wanna have a Megadeth battle now?
Not really. I'd get my ass whooped.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
I am still claiming Agalloch, Moonsorrow and Ulver  :coolio
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: December 16, 2009, 10:20:17 AM »
Right, your mom is the crazy "anti-Slayer" parent. Is your mom just Dimi in disguise by any chance?

I'm not here to claim being the biggest Slayer fan hear, but I have been listening to them before the first Album was ever released...like today's on-line downloading, back in my day...Demo tapes were traded quite frequently...I have numerous demos laying around ( they no longer work) as the quality of the tape itself has failed .

Did anyone here know that there was once 2 Slayer's ....One from Cali ( the one known today and one from Texas)

The one from Texas was sued, and had to change their name to S.A. Slayer (San Antonio)

S.A. Slayer was originally known just as Slayer, but since there was another Slayer (USA) at that time and they had already put out an album, they threatened the San Antonio Slayer with a lawsuit, and so they had to put the S.A. before their name. The band has been long disbanded, and the members have scattered to many different bands (Steve Cooper joined Juggernaut, Ron Jarzombek is in Watchtower and Spastic Ink, Don Van Stavern was in the bands Riot and Pitbull Daycare, and drummer Dave McClain had been in both Machine Head (USA) and Sacred Reich.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.A.Slayer
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 06:36:25 PM by wkiml »
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

• The hair, the legend

So you're the product of a prog hippie and a minister, very interesting.  Explains a lot of your coolness.

Hm, well I would NEVER call her a prog hippie  :lol but thanks anyway.

Offline progmonster

• DT.net Veteran

Fish/Marillion

nope

That would be me. And anyone who has known me on these boards for past 6 years would claim this as well. Especially since JustJen doesn't post anymore, and had a falling out with her love of the band a few years back.

So, ytsrush, don't be afraid when daylight comes....and I own your ass for this spot! :hat

"It was enough to hold and be held." ~ Jake : The Dark Tower
4,000 soldiers died so we can keep our fellow Americans from being free.  :)

Offline kirbywelch92

George Michael

/thread

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #545 on: December 16, 2009, 04:15:12 PM »

Did anyone here know that their were once 2 Slayer's ....One from Cali ( they one known today and one from Texas)

I do remember that. I remember the promo pic from that era that had Slayer over some chick with cranberry sauce spread as blood.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #546 on: December 16, 2009, 04:59:03 PM »

Did anyone here know that their were once 2 Slayer's ....One from Cali ( they one known today and one from Texas)

I do remember that. I remember the promo pic from that era that had Slayer over some chick with cranberry sauce spread as blood.

you mean this one

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...

You can never listen to too much Rush (Or Yes and Genesis).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...

Fish/Marillion

nope

That would be me. And anyone who has known me on these boards for past 6 years would claim this as well. Especially since JustJen doesn't post anymore, and had a falling out with her love of the band a few years back.

So, ytsrush, don't be afraid when daylight comes....and I own your ass for this spot! :hat

Okey Dokey.....

That's just some of it. (I've got 13th Star too, it just isn't in the picture) There's a bunch of stuff in closets (vinyl, programs, posters...). There's also a framed autographed Vigil litho is in the dining room. There's a framed promo Misplaced Childhood poster in the bedroom, an Internal Exile tour poster in the TV room, and a framed Clutching At Straws promo strip with Torch and the cocktail glass above the kitchen sink.

I'm sure there's more, but you get the idea.
I'm not even close to being the biggest Fish/Marillion fan ever (I only saw Fish with Marillion three times). I gave up on a lot of the Marillion collecting (and a large chunk of my fandom) when Brave came out (the last vinyl Marillion album I bothered to get).

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
My nice collection aside, I'm not letting either of you have Fish-era Marillion, because I love it so very much.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
My nice collection aside, I'm not letting either of you have Fish-era Marillion, because I love it so very much.

That's okay.  H-era is the better product anyways.

I think I challenged KevSchmev to Peter Gabriel at the beginning of this thread.  Wonder what happened to that.  He'd probably win anyway despite what he said about Us.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...

Well, I haven't ordered the NEARfest DVD yet so you have that.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
I love how this thread is more of a competition of "who has more stuff of band X" rather than "I love band X for the following reasons and this is why they're important to me," or even a fact-off.

Offline progmonster

• DT.net Veteran
@ytserush: I'll let you have Fish, let Nick have Fish-era Marillion, and give myself h-era Marillion since you stated, so gravely, "I gave up on a lot of the Marillion collecting (and a large chunk of my fandom) when Brave came out". You have an impressive collection, but a lot of it seems to be Dick's solo stuff. I'm not as big of a fan of his solo work. Nor do I like other band member's solo stuff, like Wishing Tree. I don't think that they should count. I am a nut ball when it comes to Marillion in general, though. ESPECIALLY with my man-crush on Hogarth. :heart :heart :heart

I own every release that EMI and Racket Records have ever produced (just as you seem to, for the most part based on those pics), including all FRC releases and ReFracted! series, vinyl records (even with HitR on vinyl in the mail as I type this), signed posters and albums, artwork, passes, Weekend (convention) wristbands, window decals, tote bags, closets full of clothing, bootleg tapes/vinyl, etc. I'll take some pics of what I have in my collection(s) tomorrow. I'm still unpacking my stuff since I just moved, and a lot of it is still in moving PODS.

In the meantime, here are some pics: some are ones that I took when h came to visit me. (I even got the news station where I worked at to get him on as a guest that morning. They had no idea who he was, and I had just finished breakfast with him; thus why he's tired and barefoot in some of these pics):

Ha ha! I made him take this picture! I love it!

Some pics of the rest of the God Squad:

Pete with his Hippie friend!

Me, with God, ready to get our "drink on"!

h is yelling at me because I woke him up too early that morning, and he's tired!

God, holding a hand-made flower:

Me with Kayleigh, Rick, and Lucy Jordache at Weekend '09:

Me, with my "front row club" members: Jenn, Liz, and Joe del Tufo (Official Marillion/Web UK/Radiohead/Sigur Ros photographer)

Now, stay out!!!!

The question is: are you the biggest fan of Marillion on DTF if you don't like the band, anymore, that you have collected a lot of memorabilia from? I think not. :hat

Offline progmonster

• DT.net Veteran
I love how this thread is more of a competition of "who has more stuff of band X" rather than "I love band X for the following reasons and this is why they're important to me," or even a fact-off.

True. Which is why I think I should be known as THE biggest fan of Marillion, and not ysterush. He claims no loyalty to the band anymore, and I obviously do. :hat

Offline SoundscapeMN

Marillion's my favorite band of alltime. I waited 9 1/2 years to see them, and have been a fan since 1995. I'm not going to try and argue about collection size or anything, I just know how significant a band they are to me.

Offline progmonster

• DT.net Veteran
Marillion's my favorite band of alltime. I waited 9 1/2 years to see them, and have been a fan since 1995. I'm not going to try and argue about collection size or anything, I just know how significant a band they are to me.

That's what I love about us Marillion fans. There's really no such thing as a "passive" Marillion fan. You either don't care much for Marillion, or your a Freak for them! :hat

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
@ytserush: I'll let you have Fish, let Nick have Fish-era Marillion, and give myself h-era Marillion since you stated, so gravely, "I gave up on a lot of the Marillion collecting (and a large chunk of my fandom) when Brave came out". You have an impressive collection, but a lot of it seems to be Dick's solo stuff. I'm not as big of a fan of his solo work. Nor do I like other band member's solo stuff, like Wishing Tree. I don't think that they should count. I am a nut ball when it comes to Marillion in general, though. ESPECIALLY with my man-crush on Hogarth. :heart :heart :heart

I like Fish-era Marillion as much, if not more than Fish's solo work but I'll share it with Nick, because he's....well...Nick. 

You've obviously proven a legitimate claim to Hogarth-Marillion. (Very cool pics by the way, I'd love to see more if you're willing to share them) I think the band members' solo stuff (especially Iris and Postmankind) and Fish's solo stuff should be counted because I enjoy them and am inspired by them as much if not more than any other release with the Marillion name on it. I don't think that makes my enjoyment of those releases any less valid.

That said, as you pointed out, my fandom waned after Brave was released (I still have the subsequent CDs and a handful of Racket Club releases since then) and I really wouldn't claim that I'm a bigger post-Brave Marillion fan than anyone else at this point.

I still like them a lot and enjoy most of what they have released since (with the exception of Brave and a good chunk of Afraid of Sunlight), it's just that the most of the devoted passion to collect "all things Marillion" evaporated at that point.

Maybe it's a bit like a relationship that way. You break up...it gets very emotional...you heal over time and remain great friends. I've even seen Marillion live three times since Brave came out (skipped that first fundraising tour after seeing them seven times between 1989 and 1992)

In the meantime, here are some pics: some are ones that I took when h came to visit me. (I even got the news station where I worked at to get him on as a guest that morning. They had no idea who he was, and I had just finished breakfast with him; thus why he's tired and barefoot in some of these pics):

Those are some great pics. I love the London clock picture. That should be on a live album cover. How did you get him on TV in the states? (That's got to be some sort of miracle.)

The question is: are you the biggest fan of Marillion on DTF if you don't like the band, anymore, that you have collected a lot of memorabilia from? I think not. :hat

You've proven otherwise (at least in the post-Brave years) but I still love them.

We should probably take this discussion to the Marillion thread so anyone still left in this thread won't be bored.

Offline progmonster

• DT.net Veteran

We should probably take this discussion to the Marillion thread so anyone still left in this thread won't be bored.

We probably should. Meet ya over there... :hat

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, I certainly don't care about PM taking H-era.

For Fish era however I just consider those four albums to be the greatest string of four albums any band has ever produced. Better than Rush or Dream Theater or Queensryche or any other band that I love.