Author Topic: The Walking Dead, Season 4  (Read 43105 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Walking Dead, Season 4
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2013, 09:56:49 AM »
I liked the first episode of this season, but didn't love it, this second one however was fantastic. A lot of great emotional moments from much of the cast. And even though what that "dad" who was bitten in the neck said at the end was rather cheesy I was actually impressed with the child actors in that scene, and when the dad had died the scene turned into one of my favorite scenes of the episode.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2013, 10:05:40 AM »
The things that "bother" me most about the show are rarely the 'actual show' but just noticing things i think that i would do in that circumstance. Like, why don't they have a row or two of the wooden stake barricades lining the outside fence line? You'd think they'd have done a bit more in the 6-7 months to strengthen that?

I liked the first episode of this season, but didn't love it, this second one however was fantastic. A lot of great emotional moments from much of the cast. And even though what that "dad" who was bitten in the neck said at the end was rather cheesy I was actually impressed with the child actors in that scene, and when the dad had died the scene turned into one of my favorite scenes of the episode.

That scene was intense.....made more intense by a newly hardened and rather blunt Carol who was trying to force a 12 year old kid who just lost her dad to shove a knife into his head....while looking right at him! Carol's character has definitely changed and evolved from season 1.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2013, 02:42:16 PM »
A few good scenes and definitely a step in the right direction concerning the writing. Keep it up, TWD.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2013, 08:06:40 PM »
Just saw the second episode, pretty good. I hope the whole story with feeding the walker rats and burning the sick bodies doesn't turn into a prolonged whodunit thing.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2013, 08:19:57 PM »
Just saw the second episode, pretty good. I hope the whole story with feeding the walker rats and burning the sick bodies doesn't turn into a prolonged whodunit thing.

I still think the older daughter is/was the one feeding them. As far as who burnt the bodies.....judging from the cells they were in it looked like they had turned already so why wouldn't you burn them? Not sure if when they do reveal it'd be a main character though......probably the new 'black' guy they took with them on the store run.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2013, 01:41:35 AM »
Are they really gonna spend 1 more season on that prison?

Am I the only one being a bit annoyed with everyone starting  relationships during a zombie apocalypse? Yea I mean love makes you stronger and keep you human and bla bla bla...again it's a zombie apocalypse and I feel like it's only a easy way for the writer's to have the audience feel more connected to certain characters by having something they can lose. Now they have characters that you somewhat care about which they can kill off in a second without killing the main cast.

Plz kill off Maggie or Glenn because a more cheesy "we must show on screen that we can't lose eachother because we are so in love" acting is just horrible to watch. Just do it, it can be a quick and non painful process I don't care although I would prefer the opposite and have the other watch the whole process. #IMNOTASADIST

Pretty good show other than that.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2013, 02:01:42 AM »

Am I the only one being a bit annoyed with everyone starting  relationships during a zombie apocalypse?

It seems rather natural to me that people would be "pairing off" in this kind of situation. I don't understand why it upsets you.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2013, 02:14:00 AM »
I agree that there should be less of the sappy Maggie/Glenn scenes.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2013, 02:28:40 AM »

Am I the only one being a bit annoyed with everyone starting  relationships during a zombie apocalypse?

It seems rather natural to me that people would be "pairing off" in this kind of situation. I don't understand why it upsets you.
Well I wouldn't call a zombie apocalypse a natural thing but then again i'm not well informed on how people react during a zombie apocalypse or a apocalypse in general. Maybe you do feel the urge for sexy time between the zombie attacks.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2013, 02:44:10 AM »
Yeah, I think you know what I meant, but maybe you don't. If you don't then I'm not wasting my time arguing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2013, 03:01:35 AM »
Yeah, I think you know what I meant, but maybe you don't. If you don't then I'm not wasting my time arguing.
Who said we're arguing? It's all good.  :) Love have a weird way of showing it self during difficult times, we all know that. If you read my original post further you may find why I don't find those things believable in the show.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2013, 04:57:03 AM »
I can't wait because SPOILER ALERT

Someone gets eaten by zombies.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2013, 05:24:04 AM »
I can't wait because SPOILER ALERT

Someone gets eaten by zombies.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2013, 07:25:57 AM »
We watched the second episode last night and loved it. I thought Mishonne's scene with the baby was the most heart wrenching and gave us an important clue into her unspoken past. Very good visual story-telling right there.

I've never thought the scenes with Glen and Maggie are annoying at all. In many ways their story is the most terrifying but you'd almost need to be in a committed, long-term, loving relationship to understand the horror. Nothing catches my heart in my throat faster than the thought of something terrible happening with Mrs. P or our children. It's easy for me to empathize with the young lovers when they worry about each other or possibly getting pregnant. We saw how well that worked out for Rick's wife...hmmm?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:58:43 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2013, 09:42:21 AM »
I'm also liking how Rick and Carl are now back to being close. If they stick even loosely to the comic relationship between them....that's important that they are close like that.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2013, 11:21:30 AM »
I'm also liking how Rick and Carl are now back to being close. If they stick even loosely to the comic relationship between them....that's important that they are close like that.

I've never read the comics so I thought I'd try and find a plot synopsis to see what you are referencing and wound up on Wikipedia.  :omg:  If the TV show had followed the comics closer after season one there would have been a huge public outcry over the themes presented but, wow, what an opportunity for drama!

And no Daryl? How could this be?  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2013, 11:27:59 AM »

I've never read the comics so I thought I'd try and find a plot synopsis to see what you are referencing and wound up on Wikipedia.  :omg:  If the TV show had followed the comics closer after season one there would have been a huge public outcry over the themes presented but, wow, what an opportunity for drama!

And no Daryl? How could this be?  :lol

Yeah, it's safe to assume the comics are merely a very loose footprint to the TV show. Which I enjoy. Even the conflict with the Governor and Woodbury has been altered.

I had never read a comic....picked up the two Walking Dead compendiums and subsequent releases and read them in a couple weeks. Very neat, very cool story...but definitely different than the show.

I hope they keep some elements the same but really don't mind the deviation.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2013, 02:02:18 AM »
Who said we're arguing? It's all good.  :) Love have a weird way of showing it self during difficult times, we all know that. If you read my original post further you may find why I don't find those things believable in the show.

OK, here's my point. The urge or need to breed is a part of our DNA. In this situation you have two people in the prime of their lives who are of the opposite sex and attracted to one another. Eventually, someone is going to get a dick put into them. I honestly would be much more surprised if there wasn't some sex going on here and there on the show. Also, if you consider the fact that for several months leading up to the season opener things had been fairly quiet and stable, then there's that much more of a reason to think that people would get back around to having sex and relationships.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2013, 04:53:46 AM »
Eventually, someone is going to get a dick put into them.
:lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2013, 01:23:08 PM »
What I was wondering was when all the zombies start to over run the fence, why isn't the first thing to take the truck out and just draw the zombies away with noise and distraction so the rest of the people can slowly stab the rest in the face? This bothered me a lot for some reason. I also would have thought by now that they would have a well built truck to run over zombies.

Also, like in the book World War Z, where are the large piles of dead zombies near the fence?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2013, 02:55:17 PM »
What I was wondering was when all the zombies start to over run the fence, why isn't the first thing to take the truck out and just draw the zombies away with noise and distraction so the rest of the people can slowly stab the rest in the face? This bothered me a lot for some reason. I also would have thought by now that they would have a well built truck to run over zombies.

Also, like in the book World War Z, where are the large piles of dead zombies near the fence?

I really didn't like the second episode, and this is one of the main reasons why. Fuck. I could have eaten one of those bacon seeds in about four minutes, a hoard of zombies probably didn't even taste it. They would have gone right back to the fence in no time. I don't get why they don't have those spear traps around the entire perimeter. Also, why haven't they raided Woodbury of all those huge machine guns they had?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2013, 08:39:08 AM »
It was fairly easy IMO with the way they structured the episode and the dialogue between characters to figure out Carol killed those two...even before she admitted it to Rick. I think they gave just enough clues to where when Rick 'figured it out' while investigating the audience should have as well.

All in all it was an OK episode.....easily the weakest one so far this season and really once I learned Kirkman wrote this episode it I lowered my expectations. I know he created the comics and all but his television writing isn't really impressive to me.

I am glad to see that Rick and Carl for that matter appear to be coming out of their sabbatical of reflection and are returning to form.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2013, 10:02:39 AM »
I still think the premiere has been the weakest of the season so far

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2013, 11:41:37 AM »
The writing is getting worse on this show. Watching the show becomes a chore at some points, because I find myself bored and not interested in what's going on.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2013, 11:53:06 AM »
The writing is getting worse on this show. Watching the show becomes a chore at some points, because I find myself bored and not interested in what's going on.

I feel like I'm being taken advantage of by AMC. The potential for awesomeness is unlimited, yet for some reason you can sense them milking these episodes and dragging it on and on.

I understand the desire to 'develop' characters/storylines but at the same time IMO they still waste a good 10-15 minutes per episode on utter crap that is senseless and useless to the story. Those scenes with Maggie and her sister last night are just one example. Utter waste of time.

I like the show.....I do. And, I've been very patient with it over the first three seasons and really looked forward to Gimples input and vision. I really hope that (1) there are no more Kirkman written episodes even though I'm sure there are and (2) last nights episode was just a fluke and they get back to more interesting things.....heck, at this point I'd take more. Governor conflict. I'm already tired of the flu and family sit downs.

SPOILER: For you comic book readers

Having read the comics and knowing that Abraham is due to make an appearance soon...and he's been confirmed for the season, I'm betting the car transmission has something to do with Abraham and his crew.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2013, 12:02:54 PM »
I really hate Tyrese's character, and I knew Carol burned those bodies before the fist flying even when down. You can tell she's starting to lose her cool. I realized last night that Hershel never actually talks this anyone. All of his lines are speeches or lessons.

I really hope this flu problem goes away soon. If it goes past the fourth episode, I'm going to be pretty upset. I'm all for character development, but I like faster developing stories more. I like Glenn as a character, and as I watched last night I said "I'm truly surprised that Glenn has made it this long" just before we found out he is sick. However, the scenes between Glenn and Maggie get really annoying. I can't put my finger on it, but maybe it's because they offer no excitement.

Thinking Points so far this season:

- I hate and like Carl. I'm having trouble deciding which.
- I can't imagine Hershel making it through the season.
- There are only five original cast members left. Are we going to lose another?
- I think Carol isn't going to make it, but there is already a lack of female characters.
- I like that Beth is becoming more of a key player... indicating that Hershel could be going soon.
- I'm really curious about all the children that have been shown in passing. What's going to happen to all of them? They can't all become parts of the cast, but I can't imagine we'll see all of them get offed.
- I don't understand why all the sick people are getting locked in an open room with each other. The group leaders are well aware that it kills people, once one dies, they are all fucked. Why not lock them in pairs in a cell?
- At first, I didn't like the tame version of Rick and Carl, I still don't believe it, but regardless, I like the fact they are coming back over to the offensive side.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 02:43:09 PM by Chino »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2013, 03:54:44 PM »
I'm not a fan of how they've handled Tyreese's character on the show as well....nothing like comic book Tyreese. Even he and Ricks relationship is vastly different than the comic book relationship. He's just a whiny, wussified sissy bit%h on the show. Maybe the car scene last episode was a turning point for his character. But to this point he's been a major disappointment. 

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2013, 11:09:08 AM »
I'm getting caught up with the episodes (watching last Sunday's right now) but I wonder: Why didn't Hershel looked after the pigs when they showed signs of sickness? Don't tell me the writers, conveniently, forgot he's a VETERINARIAN? Also, they've turned Carol into comic book-Andrea, which is good.

And like gmiller said the handling of Tyreese has been not satisfactory when compared to it's comic book counterpart. I shouldn't be surprise after what they did to Andrea though. And it's so funny how they brought in all those people from Woodbury just to make them zombie fodder. :lol
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:17:28 AM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2013, 11:25:29 AM »
Yeah I'm...not liking where this is going. God damn it. I had and still have faith in Gimple, but if he's just going to do the same thing as the others, he's just as screwed; meaning this show is dead. Probably for good. They had better be using this as a catalyst to get OUT of the prison and move the story forward instead of creating a new story arc for how they can 'rebuild' and blah fucking blah... Ugh. I really was enjoying this season til this episode. Granted, if this was a beginning arc to get the story moving and to 'cleanse', that'd be awesome, which is a possibility. Gimple wrote my favorite episodes from S3, and a few from past seasons; he's clearly not a one-trick pony and can do this, but it's whether he can direct the entire project and move things towards a very far-off conclusion in a straight line instead of this fuckin' infinite loop-de-loop we've been doing for the past season and a half.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2013, 11:28:15 AM »
I'm getting caught up with the episodes (watching last Sunday's right now) but I wonder: Why didn't Hershel looked after the pigs when they showed signs of sickness? Don't tell me the writers, conveniently, forgot he's a VETERINARIAN? Also, they've turned Carol into comic book-Andrea, which is good.

You know....that is a good observation. That does appear to be what they've done.

Concerning the sick pigs and Hershel....I think on 'The Talking Dead' they pointed out the sequence of events where Rick never really had the opportunity to tell Hershel about the pigs being sick until he did on the show....when they killed the turned people.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2013, 11:31:27 AM »
So we're to believe Hershel never went close to where they were? I just can't believe that he would be completely oblivious about their health, it would be retarded. And so Rick didn't have time, but Carl saw it too, neither thought it would be a good idea to tell the veterinarian?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2013, 12:23:40 PM »
So we're to believe Hershel never went close to where they were? I just can't believe that he would be completely oblivious about their health, it would be retarded. And so Rick didn't have time, but Carl saw it too, neither thought it would be a good idea to tell the veterinarian?

I understand your point completely. And it's the small things like that which could be more accurate. But the 'official' position was that there was just never the time to do so.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2013, 01:28:08 PM »
Was someone else a bit creeped out by Beth's "we've all got jobs to do" speeches? There was a tiny hint of disturbance in there somewhere.

Also, for some reason I didn't believe Carol when she said she was the one who killed those people.

And holy shit that's a lot of zombies.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2013, 02:04:43 PM »
The Walking Dead was renewed for a fifth season, which is the complete opposite of a surprise.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2013, 02:18:05 PM »
The Walking Dead was renewed for a fifth season, which is the complete opposite of a surprise.

Awesome! Hopefully in that finale they will leave the prison.