Author Topic: The Walking Dead, Season 4  (Read 43103 times)

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
Re: The Walking Dead, Season 4
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 08:34:32 AM »
I really enjoyed the first episode. And I must admit, I kinda giggled when that walker was hanging under the ceiling.
Thinking about that scene makes me remember a rather special scene from the Hannibal-movie, when he's in Florence.

Allready looking forward to the next episodes, and the rest of the season as well.  :tup
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2013, 10:17:51 AM »
I was a bit underwhelmed by last night's episode, but next week might be a good one I think

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2013, 10:28:08 AM »
I was a bit underwhelmed by last night's episode, but next week might be a good one I think

I'm going to trust Gimples explanation on the Talking Dead that last nights episode was needed to lay the groundwork for the stories he's going to tell this season. And, it really wasn't that bad an episode.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2013, 11:06:43 AM »
"It's raining dead. Hallelujah!"

I don't trust the relaxed banter with the group. It feels like a setup to heartbreak. :)

I'm intrigued enough to watch next week so, so far so good.  :tup
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2013, 11:23:47 AM »
Yeah, not a bad episode at all, more of a set-up episode, but they revealed a few interesting threads, at least.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 11:28:05 AM »
I don't trust the relaxed banter with the group. It feels like a setup to heartbreak. :)

I think that was Gimples point. To show us that at least for 6-7 months the group had a 'break from bad things'. It's pretty easy to see the entire lesson from that episode is exactly what the crazy lady in the woods told Rick. There is no coming back from what that world is and does to you. The temporary safety and security they've had at the prison is just that, temporary. You can't escape that world outside the walls.....maybe hold it off for a bit but as we can see with the 'new breed' of eye bleeding walkers, that world is like a virus....it'll find a way to circumvent all defenses.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2013, 12:00:56 PM »
D'Angelo Barksdale in da house!! Surprised to see him, hopefully he'll stick around for a few episodes atleast.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2013, 03:49:35 PM »
16.1 Million viewers for the Season opener! :omg: that's 5 million more than Breaking Bads series finale. The Talking Dead drew 5.1 Million viewers.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2013, 03:55:15 PM »
Why was Carl so upset when he walked in on Carlol doing the knife demonstration?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2013, 04:43:27 PM »
Why was Carl so upset when he walked in on Carlol doing the knife demonstration?

Maybe it was to show how close he and Rick have become now, that upon discovering secrets are being kept from his Dad by someone who he and his dad are close with.....made him upset?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2013, 04:49:36 PM »

Maybe it was to show how close he and Rick have become now, that upon discovering secrets are being kept from his Dad by someone who he and his dad are close with.....made him upset?

Carl used to deceive his mother about guns all the time. Hypocritical little shit.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2013, 05:04:37 PM »
This is exactly what I thought this episode would be: an episode that would only serve as a way to set-up the upcoming season while trying to show what they have been doing since the last time we have seen them. A good episode, especially for what they were trying to do with it.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2013, 05:08:22 PM »
I still want to know where all the poo goes.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2013, 05:15:45 PM »

What about lady time of the month?  :(

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2013, 08:23:56 PM »

Do you really need a scene of them carrying buckets of shit to a dump area?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2013, 08:24:58 PM »

Do you really need a scene of them carrying buckets of shit to a dump area?
But what if they're faking their pooping to thicken the plot? What then?

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2013, 09:05:36 PM »
16.1 Million viewers for the Season opener! :omg: that's 5 million more than Breaking Bads series finale. The Talking Dead drew 5.1 Million viewers.
That's just fucking incredible. Wow. AMC must be mad-house right now.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2013, 09:09:39 PM »
That's just fucking incredible. Wow. AMC must be mad-house right now.

You'd think they could then afford to give us a two hour season premier and then subsequent season finale. That's my major gripe with TWD. Most other series give you those bonus couple hours to start and finish the season.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2013, 09:19:35 PM »
We had a slightly longer season 2 premiere didn't we?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2013, 09:41:48 PM »

To be honest I don't recall. I know in recent memory (last season) it's been hour episodes to start and finish. I'd like to see season openers, mid season finales and season Enders be two hours. But I'm sure there's a reason why they don't do it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2013, 09:49:43 PM »
They probably spend a butt load on Andrew Lincoln's accent training.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2013, 09:52:07 PM »
They probably spend a butt load on Andrew Lincoln's accent training.

Or Norman Reedus's black hair dye. Daryl had some black locks in last night episode. Not his dirty brown locks of old. He was all 'did' up.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2013, 10:02:30 PM »

To be honest I don't recall. I know in recent memory (last season) it's been hour episodes to start and finish. I'd like to see season openers, mid season finales and season Enders be two hours. But I'm sure there's a reason why they don't do it.
AMC is cheap as shit, that's why. ;)

Good opening episode I thought. Yeah, it's mostly set-up, but season premiers usually are and it was a big step up over season 3's giant pile of suck finale so I'll give it credit for that. It was also more enjoyable than Homeland.

I'm glad that the show is venturing entirely outside of the comic book realm and now it can be judged not as it compares to the original but on its own terms.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2013, 10:30:01 AM »
Like some of you have pointed out it was a pretty good set up episode, but not a very good season opener. Had this episode aired in the middle of the season or something it would have been pretty monumental. Now it was fine, but didn't quite deliver the punch in the face I usually look for in season openers.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2013, 10:34:10 AM »
Thinking about the way they made the point of the kids 'naming' the Walkers and how they view them leads me to believe its a kid feeding them. Like a pet.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2013, 10:55:45 AM »
Thinking about the way they made the point of the kids 'naming' the Walkers and how they view them leads me to believe its a kid feeding them. Like a pet.

That part really pissed me off. I thought the speech Rick gave Carl about naming the pigs was really forced and incredibly lame. Hearing Carl giving the same speech to the kids made me want to vomit.

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet, and speaking of pigs. I'm guessing that there is a link between the dead kid, the dead pig, and the bleeding-eye walker.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2013, 11:41:43 AM »

That part really pissed me off. I thought the speech Rick gave Carl about naming the pigs was really forced and incredibly lame. Hearing Carl giving the same speech to the kids made me want to vomit.

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet, and speaking of pigs. I'm guessing that there is a link between the dead kid, the dead pig, and the bleeding-eye walker.

I think the two scenes they dedicated to Rick singling out the zombie with two missing eyes is tied to that kids death as well. Like that zombie died of the same thing. It's like a new 'breed' of zombie. They arely focus the attention on one particular zombie unless there is something more to it. And the way Rick noticed that zombie was almost as if he knew it was 'out of place', like he had that cop 'hunch'

And you're right, the dead pig would seem to have to be tied in to it all as well. Just too much attention paid to all three that episode (blood eyed walker/dead Violet/dead 'nerd')

Maybe it's a nod back to the "original" cause of Walkerdom. First season a lot was made of getting a fever and being sick.....then turning. It was believed to be transmitted by being bit but now knowing their all infected maybe the zombie virus has found a way to manifest itself in 'healthy' bodies?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2013, 12:15:09 PM »

I think the two scenes they dedicated to Rick singling out the zombie with two missing eyes is tied to that kids death as well. Like that zombie died of the same thing. It's like a new 'breed' of zombie. They arely focus the attention on one particular zombie unless there is something more to it. And the way Rick noticed that zombie was almost as if he knew it was 'out of place', like he had that cop 'hunch'

And you're right, the dead pig would seem to have to be tied in to it all as well. Just too much attention paid to all three that episode (blood eyed walker/dead Violet/dead 'nerd')

Maybe it's a nod back to the "original" cause of Walkerdom. First season a lot was made of getting a fever and being sick.....then turning. It was believed to be transmitted by being bit but now knowing their all infected maybe the zombie virus has found a way to manifest itself in 'healthy' bodies?

I was thinking that maybe because everyone has it in relatively small amounts, their immune system is able to keep it in check. When you die, your immune system no longer fights it. If you are bitten, maybe the direct injection of more of the virus overpowers the immune system. Rick made the water comment about the garden. Maybe that's finally catching up. The pig died from the feed it was being given, and maybe the kid died from drinking copious amounts of infected water in the shower.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2013, 04:05:10 PM »
I dunno if it's my TV but I couldn't make out most of what the woman in the woods was saying, but I kinda gather her story now from reading this thread, I'll watch her scenes again tonight. Awful actress though, the kinda guest star Joss Whedon would use for a TV show.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2013, 08:28:02 AM »
I thoroughly liked the first episode!   I liked the community at peace for once. It gives the fans a believable breather.  I would imagine that life can get mundane and routine even in the zombie apocolypse.   But, it makes for good story telling , because their guard is now down and as humans get comfortable and forgetful over time, and they still think the zombies are the main threat and that they can manage with that threat.  BUT,  it is the new unforeseen threat that will shake things up.  they have 15 episodes to come this season and I for one cannot wait!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2013, 01:11:02 PM »
Honest Trailers: The Walking Dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNxvo8AcpQQ

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2013, 10:39:16 PM »
I enjoyed the symbolism tied to Rick in this episode. The discarding of the farmer gloves as he ran in to help. The burning of the pig pen and clothing....sure for sanitary reasons but it also was a symbol of him surrendering to the inevitability of him 'returning to duty'

I like how close he and Carl are now apparently due to him spending the 6-7 months dedicating himself to just being a dad.

The scene with Michonne and Judith really implies she lost a child. That was a powerful scene.

I'm just curious as to how they'll know their 'safe' from the bug? When folks stop bursting from the eyes I guess?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2013, 11:09:27 PM »
I am thoroughly enjoying this season thus far! Second episode was absolutely beautiful. I love the simple homages to the comics in certain scenes. They're still making it their own, but the slow direction towards the comic storyline is very reassuring. Scott Gimple is a great fit, I think, as the showrunner. I still have my reservations and doubts, but I really enjoyed the tense set-up that episode one provided, and this most recent episode delivered in every way on that time-bomb. I said in the past I was hopeful for this season, and I'm only getting even more hopeful. Expectations in check still, however...this show was on its last breathe...but perhaps...it has reanimated....*GASP*

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2013, 09:47:30 AM »
Haven't watched the second episode yet (it's still sitting on my DVR), but from what I heard, there are a few head-scratching moments. I guess I'll way in when I see the episode myself later today.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2013, 09:50:33 AM »
I liked the second episode a lot, looking forward to this season.