Author Topic: The Walking Dead, Season 4  (Read 43383 times)

Offline PowerSlave

Re: The Walking Dead, Season 4
« Reply #315 on: February 09, 2014, 11:50:17 PM »
I can buy into all of the positive stuff about the episode that you guys are talking about, but the way that Rick's character was written was terrible in my opinion. Sure, he was worn out and physically exhausted, but to lay there practically in a coma while Carl was screaming at him and the zombies were scratching at the door was very poor writing in my opinion.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #316 on: February 10, 2014, 12:15:42 AM »
Then you've got no clue at how a truly exhausted (read: completely an utterly incapacitated) person reacts whilst in a slumber.

Take no offense, ignorance isn't a bad thing, it just is what it is. But for people to react the way they're reacting (I also visit a certain TWD forum, so this isn't directly completely at you alone) over such a thing is awesomely illuminating. Like they showed a fucking dinosaur in the show or something. It isn't unrealistic, it isn't ridiculous, and it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility. You can only relate to what you've experienced in life, and clearly many people haven't seen a down-and-out person truly sleep. You could drag them up by their feet and attempt to make them walk, drop them dead on the floor and they'd still not wake. I've both seen it and done it; so I could believe it. Apparently a shitload of people haven't so...yeah, it seems ridiculous.

Also a lot of people think that Santa Claus (and other ethereal beings) is real so...y'know...it's all relative to one's life. It's whatever.

Oh...and I don't know if you guys know but they show FUCKING ZOMBIES in this show so...the nitpicking is kind of ridiculous when it comes to realistic shit. I mean really. Pick something more prominent to bitch over...like dead people coming back to life.

/not directed at you specifically, Power Slave, but in general. You just lit the (very drunken) fuse. Jesus fucking cunt, people's oversights are miraculous...it's like bitching that it's raining and that you're getting wet while an umbrella sits next to you. ZOMBIES, DUDE. WHY NOT BITCH ABOUT THE ZOMBIES!?  HOLY SHIT. I'll tell you why, cause they force people to accept that it's fantasy. But people can't accept that a person that's just had the life beaten out of him, bones broken, internal organs seeping blood, can't sleep through a boy shaking him!? WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWUT?

Again, not directed specifically at you, PS. More in line with my own friends bitching while the episode was going on and much more than that (the fact that Carl survived the 'zombie pile-up' even though they said jack-shit when it happened to Rick early on in the show...etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.) People are fucking short-sighted, and that includes me, mind you.  :yeahright :yarr

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #317 on: February 10, 2014, 12:31:11 AM »
I don't know, when I'm drunk I can't type for shit.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #318 on: February 10, 2014, 01:49:01 AM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 02:23:35 AM by PowerSlave »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #319 on: February 10, 2014, 02:00:28 AM »
K.  :smiley:

RIP DTP.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #320 on: February 10, 2014, 02:25:37 AM »
On 2nd thought, I deleted my post. Have fun attacking differing opinions.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #321 on: February 10, 2014, 09:52:42 AM »
Dude....Tio....you gotta  :chill . First off...it's just a show, and second.....people like different aspects of this particular show so when someones not getting thier fill of that aspect they're probably going to be upset about it.

I thought it was kind of neat to how Rick had to remind Carl in the roadside restaurant not to just go off shooting non stop because bullets were precious.....and then as he went out on his own he was firing away non stop like he had an endless supply, which...put him in the position of really needing at least (1) extra bullet when that walker almost got em' in the house.

I thought they did a good job at writing Carl's part and that Chandler Riggs did a great job acting like a kid who was 'sewing' his oats a bit.

As far as Rick not waking up when being shaken.....the dude was literally three seconds away from being strangled to death....had been shot in the leg and most likely lost a lot of blood....probably concussed....emotionally raped.....and not only did the battle tax him physically just the time in the prison as well. Once his head hit the pillow I'm sure his body said "guess what....you aren't waking up for a bit.....time for some repairs" I didn't think it was that hard to believe. Plus, that and the ending when Carl almost shot him were STRAIGHT out of the comic and executed very well I might add. Very emotional.

Oh and.....even though everyone knew it was coming.....for the first time in the series and in any movie in a long time I jumped and was startled when Carl opened that door in the upstairs of that home and that walker burst through. I knew it was coming.....still jumped.  :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #322 on: February 10, 2014, 09:56:55 AM »
I was pretty hammered (read: absolutely gone), my bad for going all gung-ho on ya.  :lol I'm actually pretty impressed at how well I type when I'm drunk.... Sorry duder!

Though I do still think it's a bit odd to nit-pick such things... Eh, to each their own.

That said, I'm rewatching the episode and still love the hell out of it. I really like the 'roaming the desolate zombie wasteland' schtick they've got; the show is just so much better when they're roaming and not stuck in one place. Don't get me wrong, I still liked the prison arc fine, but it's a lot more tension and edge-of-your-seat when you don't know what's around the next corner.

Oh and I cannot wait till that unimaginably humongous horde eventually catches up with everyone.

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #323 on: February 10, 2014, 12:53:45 PM »
Liked the episode, not the best but a perfectly solid season return. I have to admit I actually sort of fell for the fake dead Rick for a little bit. Having not read the comics and knowing that it's sort of "in" to do shocking character deaths on TV right now I was almost about to buy it for a while.

Oh and.....even though everyone knew it was coming.....for the first time in the series and in any movie in a long time I jumped and was startled when Carl opened that door in the upstairs of that home and that walker burst through. I knew it was coming.....still jumped.  :lol

Oh absolutely, very transparent, but jumped all the same.. Even said "oh come on!" to myself out loud, haha.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #324 on: February 10, 2014, 01:05:09 PM »
The only reason I didn't jump is because right when he was opening it, I was talking to the TV saying that it was the only door closed...course there's gonna be a walker in there! Beh, I like that Carl is a little badass but is still clearly very much a child...and it's good he admitted it later on when he couldn't pull the trigger when he thought Rick had turned (good thing, too!). I really like Riggs' acting and he's come a long way from the beginning.

That said, I'm more than excited to see more of him and Rick/Michonne on their own. I really wonder how they'll all meet up, if they'll just make it coincidence and pure dumb luck, or if there's going to be a sort of searching/leaving clues for an episode or two.

RIP DTP.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #325 on: February 16, 2014, 08:02:14 PM »
So..

ABRAHAM

FUCK YES

Offline thesilkymilk

• I encompass, and I eclipse
« Reply #326 on: February 16, 2014, 08:06:06 PM »
Great exposition! Next week looks amazing.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #327 on: February 16, 2014, 08:06:45 PM »
So that's the guy people were talking about wanting.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #328 on: February 16, 2014, 08:20:56 PM »
I love, love, loooved last week's episode because it was so focused and, impossibly, redeemed Carl.

This week's was good, and fuck yes Abraham is finally here!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: February 16, 2014, 10:36:48 PM »
So..

ABRAHAM

FUCK YES

and fuck yes Abraham is finally here!

Yes! I just hope and pray they don't jack up his character like they did Tyrese..I have Faith in Gimple though that he will develop Abraham into a bad a$$ character.

And, I don't know if I'm going to be able to focus when Rosita has a scene with those pig tails :omg:

I guess I'm glad that Judith is still around? I was kind of hoping they'd have grown a pair and had her killed off as she was in comic book land but I understand why she's still around.

Lizzie is one sick, twisted little girl and I'd be willing to bet that Carl ends up killing her like he did that kid in the comics.

Side note:
  My brother read online that unlike most of the characters and intellectual property of The Walking Dead that is 'owned' by Kirkman......AMC owns the rights to the Dixon characters. That's why they have the video game and would see to pretty much suggest that Daryl ain't going to be killed off anytime soon. I personally would off him this season, but I doubt AMC would 'allow' that at this point.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #330 on: February 17, 2014, 09:55:46 AM »
You kidding?! Darryl's the most popular character on the show. I think people would actually stop watching if he got the axe

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: February 17, 2014, 10:11:39 AM »
You kidding?! Darryl's the most popular character on the show. I think people would actually stop watching if he got the axe

To clarify: I like the character Daryl A LOT!! But I like the comic even more and the underlying theme of the comic has been there are only (2) people that are "safe"....Rick and Carl. This story really is a 'father and son' story. The actions a Father will take to protect his son and a how a young kid basically has to grow up overnight and the ebbs and flows of this now non-typical Father/Son relationship. Every other character is essentially on borrowed time and Kirkman kills them off accordingly in the comic. I mean heck, Daryl is essentially the Tyrese character from the comics by the way he has been developed and the importance he's played to the group....and Tyrese was beheaded by the Governor in the comics, so....I just think it's time for a shake up.

My issue with Daryl in the TV show is that his character has become 'bigger' than Rick or even Carl and has reached that 'safe' zone. I think if AMC wanted to show some 'Game of Thrones' type balls.....they'd have Daryl killed off. It'd open up more time they could invest in developing Abraham properly, because he's a HUGE and important character in the Comic and as is apparent by the way Gimple has crafted this season.....he's leaning toward returning the series to the comic book base that Mazzera brutally side tracked them from. In fact, an article I read online essentially said Mazerra was fired because he deviated so far off the comic book blue print. I like how Gimple has righted the ship so to speak and has had multiple instances of 'straight from the comic' moments. 'After' was straight from the comic book and Abrahams reveal scene last night was literally a page out of the comics.

I like Daryl....but I think his character has run its course considering the characters that are to come. Give him a heros exit....some sort of sacrificial death and let that be that OR figure out a way to seperate him from the group completely with no chance of reuniting and make him the center of the spinn off series?

Offline thesilkymilk

• I encompass, and I eclipse
« Reply #332 on: February 17, 2014, 10:11:49 AM »
I'd hate to see Daryl go.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #333 on: February 17, 2014, 10:20:56 AM »
lol who let you back in?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: February 17, 2014, 10:30:57 AM »
I'm with Gary on this one. After last night's episode I think it's time for Daryl to get gnawed on...maybe even in some random, accidental, completely unsatisfying way. Shit happens and this show sometimes forgets to shock us with that fact.

Daryl's story arch is complete IMO. He started out as reluctant group member with mysterious motivations. An outsider. His progress to important leader and enthusiastic hero was gradual and believable. But what did all that get him? A busted community and dead or missing people he cared for. It's either time for him to say 'piss on this' and be a lone survivor wandering the wilderness or have some horrible accident that the others can commiserate over.

:)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #335 on: February 17, 2014, 10:39:16 AM »
Thing is, there are very few characters outside of Daryl that are actually interesting to watch, unless this Abraham character turns out to be one. So many of the scenes with recently introduced characters are boring to watch.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #336 on: February 17, 2014, 10:49:41 AM »
Once Rick starts becoming a badass again, then I'll allow Darryl to leave. As it stands right now, Rick is too much of a little bitch right now

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: February 17, 2014, 11:06:53 AM »
Thing is, there are very few characters outside of Daryl that are actually interesting to watch, unless this Abraham character turns out to be one. So many of the scenes with recently introduced characters are boring to watch.

If Gimple can create the character from the comic then Abraham IMO would become a fan favorite as well. After watching Mazerra destroy Tyrese's character.....I really do hope they can accurately depict Abraham as he is in the comics being that he plays such a vital role in them. Who knows, maybe he won't be as important in the TV show but I at least have confidence in Gimple to adapt him correctly where as I had none in Mazerra.

The show whether intentionally or not screwed up Andrea's character because cominc book Andrea is a complete 180 of what TV Andrea was. She's a friggn' hard as nails assasin basically and Ricks second hand 'man' at all times. I have no idea why her character became so spayed and relegated to the level of un-importance she was in the TV show. It's a shame really. On the other hand I prefer TV show Maggie over the comic book character....they're both whiny and annoying but at least in the TV show she can fight.

Once Rick starts becoming a badass again, then I'll allow Darryl to leave. As it stands right now, Rick is too much of a little bitch right now

I would think by seasons end Rick will have surpassed his prior badassness and brought it to a whole new level. At least, that's the progression I hope for and think they are taking him to.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #338 on: February 17, 2014, 12:33:10 PM »
I didn't really like this episode. There was a bit too much cheesy dialogue and narration (especially narration).

Also, watching this show from the beginning with my dad. Holy crap this was a different show in season 1.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: February 17, 2014, 01:16:48 PM »
I didn't really like this episode. There was a bit too much cheesy dialogue and narration (especially narration).

Also, watching this show from the beginning with my dad. Holy crap this was a different show in season 1.

Yeah, the first Season was pretty awesome. They had the original showrunner Frank Darabont who adapted the show perfectly from the comics....had a great sense of what the show should 'be' and it was great! It's a shame he was basically dumped and forced out because of him being so vocal and critical of AMC cutting the budget to appease the Mad Men demands.

I've enjoyed the opening two episodes of the second half. There was a point where everything that's been covered in those two episodes would have taken 6 or 7 episodes to cover when Mazerra was busy dragging everything out and 'wandering' around the storyline. I thought the narration 'fit' being that Beth was so optimistic....it gave some insight as to why.

From the looks of it Tyrese, Carol and the kids will hook up with Daryl and Beth being that they are both on the tracks, Glenn and Maggie and thier corresponding cast will most likely meet up since they are on the road near the same spot. Carl, Rick and Michonne? Who knows who they'll run into first. I'd guess Abraham/Glenn just because that road has to lead to a town, unless the train tracks run through that town then maybe its the other group(s).

I read here that a few people aren't too thrilled with the season but I have enjoyed it and think Gimple has done a good job getting it back on track and moving it along. After watching his effort thus far this season compared to Mazerra's.....it's pretty evident Gimple has a much better idea of how to tell this story.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #340 on: February 17, 2014, 01:34:59 PM »
I hope they run into that massive herd again at some point.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: February 17, 2014, 01:38:33 PM »

Have you read the comic?

Semi Spoiler Alert:

Because Rick, Abraham and Carl do run into that herd returning back to the group at one point.....on the highway......

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #342 on: February 17, 2014, 02:13:58 PM »

Have you read the comic?

Semi Spoiler Alert:

Because Rick, Abraham and Carl do run into that herd returning back to the group at one point.....on the highway......

No, but cool beans.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #343 on: February 17, 2014, 02:25:40 PM »

I enjoyed the episode overall, but felt it was the weaker of the latter-half-season openers; but I expected it would be an exposition 'here's where they are' episode ending with ole Abie. But Maggie and Glenn's meandering and weeping kind of got annoying; it didn't feel so much as character development as it did killing time. Though I didn't dislike it, it just dragged a bit too much. I'm really excited to see where they go with Abraham and co. and how the story will progress from here on out; it looks like from this point on will be developing the overarching plot that was so lost on Mazzara...and for that, I am giddy. Good stuff though, some cool zombie kills and I was actually glad to see that the 'lil bullshitter girl was still alive and saved by Glenn.

RIP DTP.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #344 on: February 17, 2014, 02:34:25 PM »
I really hope the remainder of the kids are eaten soon. I despise child actors.

Also, for fucks sake Emily Kinney, learn how to fake cry. The only actor that has got me teary eyed when he cried was Norman Reedus. Everyone else isn't believable at all, especially Andrew Lincoln.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #345 on: February 17, 2014, 02:39:23 PM »
I don't know how you couldn't feel for Rick when he was balling over Lori's death, I thought that was very well acted. But I couldn't agree more on the child actor's, I absolutely despise that chubby little shit, whatever her name is, that ran whenever crows came out of the brush; and don't get me started on the god damn baby-killer psycho. Ugh. They do need to die, either that or Lizzie needs to be outed as a psycho and they contain and/or help her out with the psychosis...WITH A PRESCRIPTION OF BULLETS! PSSHHHHH! No but really, it'd all be cool if the actors were better but...they're just not up to par. It's not a huge deal to me since they're going to be dead sooner or later and they don't have a big part in the show, but when I see them I feel like the time is wasted.

The other crying in the episode was well acted, but I didn't feel for them at all so I didn't think much of it. After all they've been through and all that they've endured, I didn't really feel that their crying was as genuine, but the crying itself felt real and it didn't look forced to me, especially Glenn. But I hate watching Maggie whenever she's whiny anyway so... Eh. Kinney is about the same unless she's in badass mode.

RIP DTP.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #346 on: February 17, 2014, 02:39:41 PM »
The older girl is kind of badass, with, you know, choking a baby. Uh.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #347 on: February 17, 2014, 02:40:19 PM »
*suffocating

:P

RIP DTP.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member