Author Topic: The Walking Dead, Season 4  (Read 43273 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Walking Dead, Season 4
« Reply #280 on: December 05, 2013, 04:49:40 PM »
im glad this governor stuff is finally over. i always felt the writers/actor just tried too hard to make him some iconic villain. just lame and predictable in the end

I think the villain that Rick is up against at this point in the comic is iconic....and I cannot wait to see who they cast as that villain. I really hope they can at least capture half of how friggin awesome that villain is. Even in the comics where the Governor was way more sadistic and psychotic this next Villain makes that Governor look like a sweet Kindergarten teacher.
I dunno man. The Governor cuts the most important character's hand off pretty much right after he's introduced, brutally rapes another character several times, and then kills like 5 major characters in a row within like 20 pages. The current villain was introduced in a pretty terrifying and devastatingly evil way, but since then he hasn't done anything nearly as evil. No way The Governor would have let Carl go, much less attempt to have a heart to heart with him. The current villain said, very adamantly, in the most recent issue "We don't rape", which alone makes him far less worse. I will say that the suspense of a character who can be just as noble as psychotic is what makes him so rad for me, but I wouldn't say he has anything on the comic book Gov yet.

I'm worried about how he will be portrayed in the show. He won't be able to say things like, "Fuckless fuck on free fuck day.", which pretty sums up his dialogue as a whole lol.

Good point(s). I just like his 'style' more....it's as if he is what the Governor wanted to be. He's in control...in a systematic way, using fear and force....and even the things he doesn't do like rape and the compassion he has shown like allowing Carl to live is a form of control that the Governor could never have accomplished. He can get away with it because he's confident enough to know that even if he doesn't 'technically' rape a woman he's still going to nail her....but just trick her into thinking its her idea. He wasn't scared to let Carl go because he knows he has his foot on the neck of everyone and there's really nothing anyone can do about it.

And you're right, the TV version is going to need a new 'tag' word because the "F" bomb every other word obviously won't cut it.

My choices to play him would be:

- The Rock. He's perfect IMO
- Stone Cold Steve Austin
- Henry Rollins
- and maybe Vin Deisel
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
  • You're just like a motorcycle, too tired
« Reply #281 on: December 05, 2013, 05:49:38 PM »
Very good point, he's in complete control of himself, something hard to say for either Governor. Being both mentally stable and ultra-violent is a frightening combination.

If your 3rd choice ends up portraying the character, it would be the single greatest thing in the history of things.
"Hey guys" - Gregg Turkington

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: December 05, 2013, 06:32:29 PM »
If your 3rd choice ends up portraying the character, it would be the single greatest thing in the history of things.

I actually think he's the perfect candidate/actor for that role. Plus, he's not such a 'big star' to where it'd be impossible to afford him.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #283 on: December 05, 2013, 07:42:30 PM »
i don't read the comics but i'm not very excited about another villain. i know they don't explain the virus at all, but do they do anything about it? or is it just gonna be rick's crew vs. another bad guy for the rest of the series? jeez

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #284 on: December 05, 2013, 07:44:10 PM »
Well in all honesty, what can you expect them to do about it?

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #285 on: December 05, 2013, 07:55:01 PM »
i'd be happy with anything. some update on the world, maybe run into another scientist like the CDC guy. not all that excited about yet another conflict with the next 'bad guy'

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: December 05, 2013, 08:07:57 PM »
i'd be happy with anything. some update on the world, maybe run into another scientist like the CDC guy. not all that excited about yet another conflict with the next 'bad guy'

It's not immediate. Given the way the show progresses its at least all of season 5 away from even happening....possibly season six. There is a significant space of time between the Governor and the next villain, well maybe not 'time' per say but there is an entire new scenario that I can see the show easily spending a season on.

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
  • You're just like a motorcycle, too tired
« Reply #287 on: December 05, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
The next few episodes should be following the comic. They do deal with the virus and the outside world... in a way. You'll like episode 10 of the season in particular, since we're getting those characters.

Also, The Governor dies before issue 50 in the comic book. They're at 117 right now. The next major villain wasn't introduced until last year, a little more than 4 years after The Governor's death. There are a few "bad guys", but nothing on the levels of the these two. More comparable to the prisoners if anything.
"Hey guys" - Gregg Turkington

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #288 on: December 06, 2013, 11:08:15 PM »
Having never read the comics, I wouldn't mind them spending time on another group.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: December 06, 2013, 11:13:24 PM »
Having never read the comics, I wouldn't mind them spending time on another group.

Having read the comics....I know there is great potential and story there to make an incredible run on the show. Cool characters and some neat instances AND a pretty interesting scenario that could be great. Curious as to how they do the upcoming seasons.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #290 on: December 07, 2013, 07:17:30 AM »
As some of you mentioned prior, the group may have had a backup plan of where they could go for safety. The bus does have to head somewhere. Anyone think it's possible that Carol is already there once they arrive? She would have known about it.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: December 07, 2013, 08:26:52 AM »
As some of you mentioned prior, the group may have had a backup plan of where they could go for safety. The bus does have to head somewhere. Anyone think it's possible that Carol is already there once they arrive? She would have known about it.

I'm curious as to how Carol will come back into the picture. Now that the group is divided, someone is bound to run into her. My guess is that she will be the one to give Judith back to Rick and she'll be killed off shortly after that.

We're most certainly going to see Carol again.  There's no way they just leave it the way they left it. Your theory could hold some merit or sure.

Given the familiarity with the location (and that Kirkman admitted in an interview i read that a lot of the second half of this season is taken straight from the comics)I'd bet the group will meet up at Hershals farm. There's a chance Carol may have found sanctuary there?

Yep. I think she's at Hershals Farm.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: December 07, 2013, 08:30:01 AM »
I thought the farm burned down at the end of season 2? Could be my memory that's messed up though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #293 on: December 07, 2013, 08:48:35 AM »
The barn burned down, but the house was still intact.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: December 07, 2013, 08:50:27 AM »
Ah, that's right.

Offline adastra

« Reply #295 on: December 07, 2013, 11:56:11 PM »
It was great to see that child got bitten and killed!
(holy shit,  That's a sentence I didn't think I'd ever say!)

That was so "depressing" to see. The Governor shooting her.
The thing I like about The Walking Dead is that they have balls to show something like that.
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #296 on: December 08, 2013, 05:31:09 AM »
Ballsy would have been if they showed the zombie tearing her intestines out while she screamed and threw up blood.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: December 08, 2013, 05:35:11 AM »
While playing Eaten by Bloodbath.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: December 08, 2013, 10:02:24 AM »

The depressing part for me with that scene was the fact that the guns slide did not expel the fired bullet cartridge...it did not move at all. That model gun has a slide and an expended round should have either nailed the governor in the face or the cameras lens.

I've noticed that a lot in the scenes they discharge weapons. A lot of special effect 'fire' bursts and noise. But, it was cool to see them using live blanks with that assault rifle Daryl was railing with.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #299 on: December 09, 2013, 04:01:43 PM »

The depressing part for me with that scene was the fact that the guns slide did not expel the fired bullet cartridge...it did not move at all. That model gun has a slide and an expended round should have either nailed the governor in the face or the cameras lens.

I've noticed that a lot in the scenes they discharge weapons. A lot of special effect 'fire' bursts and noise. But, it was cool to see them using live blanks with that assault rifle Daryl was railing with.

The first thing that came to my mind was "Well, the governor is now deaf".  :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: December 09, 2013, 04:47:32 PM »

The first thing that came to my mind was "Well, the governor is now deaf".  :lol

Yeah no kidding! That was at minimum a 9mm weapon, I didn't see the exact make/model but it was closer to a .45's size. Fired from within a foot of his left ear  :Rollin it's no wonder he didn't hear Michonne sneak up on him.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #301 on: December 09, 2013, 05:59:12 PM »

Yeah no kidding! That was at minimum a 9mm weapon, I didn't see the exact make/model but it was closer to a .45's size. Fired from within a foot of his left ear  :Rollin it's no wonder he didn't hear Michonne sneak up on him.

Looks way bigger than a 9mm, and closer than a foot  :lol :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #302 on: December 09, 2013, 06:25:49 PM »
Really, they should all be deaf by now with the amount of gun fire throughout the series so far.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #303 on: December 09, 2013, 08:22:54 PM »
They do it in every movie and show, though. I was actually very pleased in the first episode when Rick fired it in the tank and went deaf for a minute. But yeah by now they shouldn't be able to hear a thing.

I remember the one time I fired a gun without earmuffs on... I never want to experience it again :p

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: December 10, 2013, 08:14:15 AM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #305 on: January 29, 2014, 05:16:09 PM »
I just saw a buddy of mine post this thought on FB and I lol'd too hard.

To paraphrase, " The Walking Dead is totally unrealistic if Georgia can survive a zombie apocalypse but not an inch of snow." :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #306 on: January 29, 2014, 08:38:16 PM »
What about Dead Snow: Georgia?

Offline smaug

« Reply #307 on: February 09, 2014, 08:16:21 AM »
I just saw a buddy of mine post this thought on FB and I lol'd too hard.

To paraphrase, " The Walking Dead is totally unrealistic if Georgia can survive a zombie apocalypse but not an inch of snow." :lol

:lol

Offline smaug

« Reply #308 on: February 09, 2014, 07:16:05 PM »
Great opening! Poor Herschel!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #309 on: February 09, 2014, 07:41:54 PM »
I bet Carl runs into Carol.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #310 on: February 09, 2014, 08:08:49 PM »
So, every time Rick gets shot he goes into a temporary coma. That's nice.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #311 on: February 09, 2014, 08:17:25 PM »
That was a pretty weak episode..

Offline smaug

« Reply #312 on: February 09, 2014, 08:36:41 PM »
Agreed. The only thing that happened was that we found out who the pets were that Michonne had when we first met her.  And that Carl is still a little angry shit.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: February 09, 2014, 10:08:46 PM »
That was a pretty weak episode..

I liked it. unlike in seasons past, they wrapped up Carls delusion that he'd be fine without anyone and better off on his own in one episode....in such a way the he and Rick will now be closer than ever. He realized he does love and need his Father. Carl had every right to be as angry as he was when he told Rick off as he had just been through some pretty traumatizing events. and it's good that he almost died twice while on his own. That'll "tame" him a bit.

The backstory on Michonne confirmed what was alluded to when she was scared to hold Judith....that she has lost a child and that she put her lover and friend out of their misery at one point, very emotionally traumatizing. And, although she wanted to 'run' and be on her own while walking with the walkers she realized 'the answer' and quickly tracked down Rick and Carl.

I like the 'psychological' theme of the episode and suspect the remaining episodes will be the same with a bit of action sprinkled in.....which will be fine by me.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #314 on: February 09, 2014, 10:19:38 PM »
I absolutely loved it. Yeah, there was little actual plot progression, but much of TWD, even in the comics, is about atmosphere, tension, an all around symbolism. It showed us that while Carl is in fact now a man capable of survival on his own, it wouldn't be for long; (almost) no one survives for long on their own in this world. I enjoyed the reveal of Michonne's core of insanity (/flashback) and hallucination scenes, showing what small humanity is left in her. She is a complete monster, and one of the only ones that would probably be okay on her own; yet she herself craves comfort in humanity. I really liked that aspect. Carl and Rick are having a tough time surviving together, and she found a way to do it with relative ease by her lonesome, yet decided on her own to destroy the zombie convoy that was protecting her so that she could go back to those footprints that knew would lead to Rick/Carl and/or other humans (but no doubt guessed that the cowboy-boot prints were one of theirs).

I really liked it and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season as well as a look at the others survival and if Judith survived or if they are going to cop out with an off-screen death for the beh-beh. I enjoy these character-driven episodes that, while not progressing the plot per se, does a lot to develop the characters themselves and progress their story. Much like CLEAR, this is going to be one of my favorite episodes, no doubt. The slow, crawling tension throughout was absolutely beautiful and so far Gimple is living up to his word in that he'll make the show more like the comics. He's got plenty of leeway to progress the story before the end of the season; I have no problem at all with him taking some time to indulge in the atmospherics of what is The Walking Dead...as in the humans that have survived by becoming something so much worse than a reanimated corpse.

I have a feeling they'll show the other kids with Judith sooner or later, perhaps at the penultimate/season finale episode(s). It'd be a pity to have one of the most innocent characters killed off in such an unemotional, standard fashion. REVEL IN THE DEATH.  :corn :heart :heart

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.