Author Topic: The Walking Dead, Season 4  (Read 43104 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Walking Dead, Season 4
« Reply #140 on: November 04, 2013, 07:13:57 AM »
I've decided that I will continue to watch this show just to see what happens. If it gets cancelled, I won't really give a shit.

In regards to last night's episode... Someone needs to off Tyrese. He's careless and makes decisions out of emotion rather than logic. He's a serious liability and is going to get someone killed. All that moping around shit when he was ringing his shirt out in the river. What the fuck was that? Why did he bother even coming along in the first place? I've hated his character since they introduced him. "We take care of our own", as he's standing there waiting to smash a skull in with a hammer. I don't think he's added the slightest bit of value to the show since he walked into the prison almost a season ago.

Speaking to Tyrese's Character. It's an utter disappointment when comparing him to 'comic book' Tyrese....nothing alike at all. In fact, I'd argue they developed Daryl's character based on Tyrese's in the comic book. But as far as the 'angle' thier taking with his TV character....I have no idea what they're doing.

I actually liked last nights episode. I thought that Rick banishing Carol was interesting. I mean, it's safe to assume that wont be the last we see of her. Was he kicking her out to protect her from Tyrese? Was it because he's threatened by her ' strength'? It's going to make for an interesting dichotomy at the prison now, especially between he, Daryl and Hershel. Not so much Hershel because he's probably the mid season finale 'major' character sacrifice. But I suspect Daryl's gonna be ticked.

Or maybe we never see Carol again until the 'spin off' series....and it's based around her? I've thought that since they announced that series that they'd need a character we know be a part of it to lure viewers in. I just thought maybe they'd have Daryl get swept away in a flash flood and then base it around him.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: November 04, 2013, 09:34:29 AM »
I liked it. And I completely disagree with Chino's complaint about the intro. Carol and the girls conversation with short cuts of Rick in between with that haunting soundtrack really worked well.

He --stuff-- makes decisions out of emotion rather than logic.

Holy crap, Ty is a woman.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #142 on: November 04, 2013, 09:39:38 AM »
I liked the episode. Nothing amazing, but it moved the story forward and had some great character development and interaction. I don't dislike Ty nearly as much as most people here. I think that to expect the characters in the show to be similar to the comics is downright stupid at this point. Almost every character differs in a multitude of ways to their comic counterpart. The fact that Ty is an important character in the comics doesn't equate to him being as central in the show. That said, I do think they'll develop him a bit further, but even so, I really doubt him and Rick will be as "MY BRO" as they are in the comics. As others have mentioned, Daryl seems to have taken that spot. But it would be nice to see him developed a bit more instead of just hashing out his anger.

I'd like to see some sprinting from here on out though. If the pace doesn't ramp up then it's going to be another dull, dreary season with only bits of greatness, and I can't take that again. If this season doesn't wow me by the end, I'm fucking done with this charade. But Gimple does seem to be doing a better job at prioritizing than his predecessors and I'm hoping he has his own plan for an end-game season finale and for the future.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: November 04, 2013, 09:44:59 AM »
That episode also exposed Carols growing disregard for human life...and the decisions she makes towards them. When Rick made the decision for the two 'hippies' they ran across.....who couldn't even kill a single Walker....to stay in the house and wait for them, then Carol overruled him and let them help....I think that displayed how little she cares for human life, and showed Carol could care less about Ricks opinion.

Rick knew they were in no shape to help...they weren't fighters, yet Carol essentially sent them to their death. The more I think abut it the more I understand and agree with Ricks decision to banish Carol. In her quest to do what's best for the group she's lost sight of humanity....and at least trying to maintain some thread of it. She's becoming or has become Shane.

Her trying to relate her murders to Rick killing Shane when they were completely different scenarios shows how far gone her mind is.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: November 04, 2013, 09:49:29 AM »
Tio......I'm not expecting or wanting Ty to be the same as in the comics, but his character to this point has been unbearable. Is been tough to watch.

I think next weeks episode looks like that 'sprint'....like the resolution of the sickness. At least I hope it's the resolution because like a cold that storyline is becoming a pain in the booty. Enough already....lets get the show on the road. Zacks character died and was a zombie in like 8 hours.....these guys are lasting forever.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #145 on: November 04, 2013, 09:55:38 AM »
There are just too many loose ends that really bug me. For example, in the episode before last week, when they were driving to the university. They were in the Charger and ran into a sea of walkers, literally, there were thousands of them. They got out of the car and some how miraculously got to the campus. I guess you could argue that the walkers stick to the streets and stay out of the woods, but we know that's not true. I know stuff like that should just be assumed to progress the show, but in my mind it's just sloppy.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #146 on: November 04, 2013, 10:36:28 AM »
I thought it was a pretty solid episode. Not great, but pretty good. I want them to finish off this cold as soon as possible, though. You can't drag something like that out for over 5 episodes.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: November 04, 2013, 10:44:36 AM »
I thought it was a pretty solid episode. Not great, but pretty good. I want them to finish off this cold as soon as possible, though. You can't drag something like that out for over 5 episodes.

If AMC has proven anything.....they can milk the very last puff of dried milk from the tit of anything.

Also......SPOILER......

The way Michonne and Daryl are flirting around really is resemblant of her and TYrese in the comics. The Governor is still out and about.....would they have those two hook up and then kill off Daryl the way they killed off Tyrese in the comics? Would they have the balls to do that? I think it'd be friggin awesome! I love Daryl's character but there are cool characters to come. The similarities between Daryl's character and comic book Tyrese and now the apparent budding relationship between Daryl and Michonne make me think its not out of the question. The way Daryl questions her looking for the Governor all the time now.....her not really having a purpose to any longer. Just a thought.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #148 on: November 04, 2013, 02:13:47 PM »
That would be epic. The backlash from the fans would be incredible. I would be totally cool with a move like that.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2013, 02:55:55 PM »
Yeah, if they kill off Daryl, it better be in the most epic of ways.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2013, 04:28:15 PM »
Yeah, if they kill off Daryl, it better be in the most epic of ways.
It would make a good season finale, that's for sure. Or even better, a mid-season finale, so that AMC has to face the backlash even earlier with the return of the second half of a season.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2013, 09:46:23 AM »
I liked this weeks episode. I didn't see the Carol banishment coming but as Gary says it makes perfect sense in retrospect.

I also agree that if the meds don't cure some of the prison population of the swine flu then the outbreak should drive the survivors from the prison for good. Let's move on.

And the award for the least inspirational dialog goes to: Carol - "You can be a farmer but not just a farmer."
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #152 on: November 10, 2013, 08:01:58 PM »
'Ello Govna

Offline pianoman

« Reply #153 on: November 10, 2013, 08:10:28 PM »
I know there's a lot of people that are getting bored with this show, but this season has been absolutely fantastic in my opinion. Excellent character development. This weeks episode had me on the edge of my seat.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: November 10, 2013, 10:06:07 PM »
I thought tonight's episode was great! Not only good action but some strong character performances from Hershel, Maggie, Rick and Carl.

That father/son shoot out scene was awesome....on top of it being a moment where Rick realized (finally) that not only does he not need to worry about protecting Carl....but that Carl is no longer a child.

Did anyone else notice that bin of ammo when Carl and Rick were strapping up the assault rifles? Easily 10,000 rounds in that thing.....more likely 20,000 rounds. I just find it odd the guns and ammo are just sitting outside like that.

I'm curious to see if Daryl's reaction to Carol being banished is going to be as bad as it would seem or if he takes the logical approach like Hershel and Maggie did and 'understand' it. I can't see him getting to ticked at Rick to be honest....

My curiosity is just as prevalent in wondering how the show is going to approach and handle the Governor from this point forward being that its completely off the rails from the comic book storyline.

The Talking Dead had one of those studio audience questions that was interesting. The guy proposed that Bob (the Alchoholic Army Medic) was/is a spy for,the Governor which could explain his character seeming to be so "off". Could be?

I know there's a lot of people that are getting bored with this show, but this season has been absolutely fantastic in my opinion. Excellent character development. This weeks episode had me on the edge of my seat.

I think the last (2) episodes reinforced Scott Gimples assertion after week one on The Talking Dead that the season was crafted to be appreciated as a whole and not necessarily episode by episode. At least for me they have.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2013, 10:07:46 PM »
I thought it was another pretty solid episode, but has anyone else noticed how slow the zombies are these days? When Shane is trapped in the school those guys are haulin' ass after him, but the walkers that break through the gate just line up and get mowed down.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: November 10, 2013, 10:20:46 PM »
I thought it was another pretty solid episode, but has anyone else noticed how slow the zombies are these days? When Shane is trapped in the school those guys are haulin' ass after him, but the walkers that break through the gate just line up and get mowed down.

Could have something to do with how 'fresh' they are. The ones that turned in the cell blocks were hoofin' it alright. Maybe the longer they've been dead and have decayed the slower they get.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #157 on: November 11, 2013, 03:39:47 AM »
I think the slow zombies are the scarier ones. They're just creepy in a way that is lost on the runners.

I also really enjoyed this episode. A lot of cool moments and although the climax was a big walker-confrontation as always they managed to do it a bit differently and keep it fresh.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: November 11, 2013, 12:13:04 PM »
Personally, I'm getting a little tired of the prison environment.  I'd love to see them get flushed out and have to be on the run or find a new home. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2013, 12:20:08 PM »
I thought we were going to lose Hershel for sure last night.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2013, 12:25:44 PM »
Personally, I'm getting a little tired of the prison environment.  I'd love to see them get flushed out and have to be on the run or find a new home.

I have a feeling that time is upon them (us). I think the Governor is on a revenge mission of "I lost my city....you're losing your prison" type thing. He's probably left a trail of breadcrumbs for that hoard of Walkers to follow right to the prisons doorstep.

I thought we were going to lose Hershel for sure last night.

It certainly had that feel. I was waiting for it the entire episode....trying to figure it how he'd get knocked off. But alas the one legged man lives to see another day....he climbed a little higher, found another reason to stay. It looked like he had ashes in his hands and his eyes filled with mercy while he searched for a silent sky. I don't think he'll find that there he'll have to look another way, even try another day.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #161 on: November 11, 2013, 01:36:05 PM »
Okay, I've been dogging the prison and the slow pace, but this was an absolutely beautiful, horrific showing of how the prison should be. This was a fucking awesome episode and I loved every second. That was a wonderful portrayal of how it should be...and I now love the whole 'sickness' aspect. Who would have thought that a 'glorified flu' would take out half the prison and create such disaster. Everyone is thinking of zombies and the sickness that causes it so much that they don't realize they're already infected and a mere breath around the wrong person can kill you. It's awesome!

If the rest of the season follows this one's pace, then my faith is restored in Gimple. It already is, but he needs to capitalize on this moment of neck-break pacing and utter devastation and gore. That is The Walking Dead. Again, I'm reminded of the tone of "CLEAR", and this episode followed it nicely. Very bleak, horrific, and an utter loss of hope made this an exciting, edge-of-your-seat episode. Oh and DAT ENDING! I am really hopeful of the gov's episode and I hope they finish this rivalry with a bang. The next couple episodes will tell if this was worth the prodding. I thought the whole sickness was a red herring, but now it seems to be an important storyline point that will be the catalyst for The Prison's last gasp of breath. :yarr :metal :metal :metal :metal

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #162 on: November 11, 2013, 01:56:58 PM »
Last night's episode was probably the best one from the entire season, so far. It looks like the prison storyline is coming to an end and they've finally reintroduced the governor to the show to create the 'outside problem' again. It looks like the action could be picking up very soon.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: November 12, 2013, 07:23:47 AM »
But alas the one legged man lives to see another day....he climbed a little higher, found another reason to stay. It looked like he had ashes in his hands and his eyes filled with mercy while he searched for a silent sky. I don't think he'll find that there he'll have to look another way, even try another day.

Do you ever get the feeling that people are ignoring you as a silent rebuke?  :lol

Watched this weeks episode last night and loved it. It was tense and thrilling but still maintained the WD tradition of allowing you to witness characters at their most vulnerable and insane. Speaking of which, that little girl is twisted and scares me more than the Governor and his zombie daughter combined. This show is funny in that you can watch it and be totally sucked in but once the show is over you notice stupid shit like a huge pile of automatic weapons and 100,000 rounds of ammo! If all that was there before, why reinforce the fence? Why wait until the hoard is through the fence? Just mow them down on the other side and go grab a Miller! SMH

Oh and Gary, I disagree about Daryl's reaction about Carol. I think he'll be really pissed!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: November 12, 2013, 08:41:12 AM »
But alas the one legged man lives to see another day....he climbed a little higher, found another reason to stay. It looked like he had ashes in his hands and his eyes filled with mercy while he searched for a silent sky. I don't think he'll find that there he'll have to look another way, even try another day.

Do you ever get the feeling that people are ignoring you as a silent rebuke?  :lol

In fairness......that was cheesy as heck! I couldn't resist though  :rollin

Oh and Gary, I disagree about Daryl's reaction about Carol. I think he'll be really pissed!

Daryl's was just as ticked in his  reaction to the murders and even said something along the lines of "we'll find the SOB who did this and make them pay" to Tyrese. That's what is going to make his reaction interesting. Will he be more ticked at Rick for (IMO) doing the right thing or at Carol for turning into a woman Shane? He might initially be mad or whatever but I don't think it'll come to blows or even a huge argument. I think he'll understand Rick made the right call.

Besides.....Carol will make a triumphant return right about the time the group really needs a 'miracle'....

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: November 12, 2013, 09:35:08 AM »
Maybe she'll take down the Gov' just as he gains the upper hand. That would be cool!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: November 13, 2013, 10:15:32 PM »
I have a theory loosely based on the happenings in the comics....although those of us who have read the comics know the show is using them as reference at best. Anyway, there is the potential for a SPOILER if you choose to read my theory so you've been warned.

I think that Daryl will be upset about Carol being banished and want to go find her. He will leave, and Michonne will go with him. Sound Familiar? Somewhere along the lines the Governor captures Michonne and Daryl....Michonne escapes minus her Katana....and I'd guess at the mid season finale the TV show Governor gives Daryl the same treatment that Comic book Governor gave Tyrese.

I just think its time the producers remind everyone that Rick and Carl are the only 'safe' characters in this show. That'd be the way to do it. Daryl is a cool character but the show needs a shake up like that to keep it fresh. Plus, with Abrahams group already confirmed to have joined the cast and shooting episodes....that'd clear the way for some new characters to come in, especially one as significant as Abraham without having to compete for screen time with Daryl which would allow them to develop Abraham correctly.....as opposed to what they've done to Tyrese (Although Daryl is essentially comic book Tyrese)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #167 on: November 17, 2013, 07:38:09 AM »
Finally got caught up last night since I hadn't watched a single episode since Season 1 finished. I'll echo some sentiment here, the prison setpiece is really starting to wear on me. Also I know it was last season but I'm so glad Angela is gone.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #168 on: November 17, 2013, 08:02:44 AM »
Man, reading some of these posts I'm so glad I dropped this series. :lol

@ Comic readers: Worth picking up if I don't like the TV series?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: November 17, 2013, 08:10:26 AM »

First, the comics are pretty good. I had never been a comic reader and picked up the two compendiums and read them in like a week. Then I just bought the couple subsequent issues. But yeah....it's pretty neat and really a different story.

And for me, I honestly still enjoy the TV show. It just bugs me at points where they're (IMO) waste time in the episodes on dumb things that mean nothing.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #170 on: November 17, 2013, 10:55:09 AM »

The comics are infinitely better than the show in every way.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #171 on: November 17, 2013, 12:28:49 PM »

The comics are infinitely better than the show in every way.

The comics don't have Lauren Cohan.

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
  • You're just like a motorcycle, too tired
« Reply #172 on: November 17, 2013, 02:53:53 PM »
Would definitely recommend the comic to anyone interested. The development and progression are far better, and there's also the convenience of there being less to nitpick at considering it's a comic and not a TV show, so Kirkman and Adlard can show exactly and solely what they want to. I still think the TV show is way better than most will give it credit for, but it's easy to say the comic is far more consistent. It's also just neat to know the deviations from and references to the comic in the TV show, like the way Axel dies, Tyreese being surrounded a few weeks ago, Carl saving Rick by shooting Shane. All of these things happen in entirely different circumstances in the comics but are basically the same (if you want to know when and how exactly these things happen in the comic, you'll have to read for yourself!). Aside from the appeal that the concept of "zombie movie that never ends", there's a reason the comic is held in high regard by even mostly cape readers (semi-purists of superhero stories). Of course, it's not free from flaw and things like usable gas almost 2 years into the apocalypse, but these things don't tend to be in mind or as blatant as they can be in the show. And there are a few moments that I will warn are muuuuuuuch harsher than anything the show has shown and probably will ever show, so prepare for some heavy hits.
"Hey guys" - Gregg Turkington

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #173 on: November 17, 2013, 08:06:24 PM »
Ugh, I did not enjoy tonight's episode at all. Sure, I was interested in what happened to the governor, but they could've summed it all up in the opening to an episode, and not drag it out for a full hour. Definitely disappointed by that one.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: November 17, 2013, 09:03:28 PM »
Ugh, I did not enjoy tonight's episode at all. Sure, I was interested in what happened to the governor, but they could've summed it all up in the opening to an episode, and not drag it out for a full hour. Definitely disappointed by that one.

Interesting. I'm the exact opposite. I liked the episode a lot. I like how they took the Governor from essentially deaths bed due to an utter collapse of his mind, to him battling back mentally. I liked the fact they used a dying father and young daughter to revive his 'spirit' and how it was noticeable that he hated who he had/has become.....and knows that the man he was when he was a husband and father no longer exists.

I found/find myself rooting for,the Governor a bit now.....up until he snaps again and tries to kill the prison group :lol