Author Topic: The Walking Dead, Season 4  (Read 43096 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
The Walking Dead, Season 4
« on: September 26, 2013, 02:14:26 PM »
Photos from the season premiere were released today. But beware the page also include brief episode synopsis for the first few episodes of the season.

I picked up the season 3 bluray at Target yesterday as it was on sale.
17 days fellas!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The Walking Dead, Season 4
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 02:32:38 PM »
I can't wait for this season.

This scene especially....

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 03:28:09 PM »
This is do or die for me. I think if Gimple can replicate the feeling of episodes like 'Clear' while fast tracking the series back on the rails towards an actual, cohesive storyline and simply follow the story of the comics a bit more, we could have a really great revitalization of this series. If not, I'll watch simply because it is still entertaining, but I'm losing a lot of the love for the show I once had after rewatching the series a couple weeks ago. They need to decide what they're doing with this show and do it before this season is over. Here's hoping; I'm still very much looking forward to the premier. Mainly because I know I won't hear Andrea's whiny voice for a single second...after the recap...

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »
I really hope the writing improves in this season. I really liked S1, but S2 and S3 were mostly really slow. I continued watching stupid as I am, hoping for the writing to improve, but with the exception of "Clear" (which was brilliant), most of it was just dull. I do like the general idea of the show (zombie-survival), but the writing is so painful that almost all characters are annoying.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 03:52:16 PM »
Nothing on the last episode made me excited for season 4 unfortunately. I will still watch though and hoping for some dramatic turn of events.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 07:51:13 AM »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 09:31:08 AM »
I really just hope the writing improves. I almost gave up on season 3 until "Clear" aired. And then I've been skeptical of the writing since then. IMHO, this is a make it or break it season in terms of the writing. It has just been getting more annoying with each episode throughout the second and third seasons (the second season especially).
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 10:39:25 AM »
I really just hope the writing improves. I almost gave up on season 3 until "Clear" aired. And then I've been skeptical of the writing since then. IMHO, this is a make it or break it season in terms of the writing. It has just been getting more annoying with each episode throughout the second and third seasons (the second season especially).

Tis is where I'm at. Being caught up on the graphic novel now, I know for certain there is PLENTY of cool material to work from. I'm just not a fan of the 'pace' the TV show follows. I get it that they'd like to develop characters and what not but there are plenty of scenes/moments in the past season alone tht wee just a waste of time IMO.

I'm hoping Gimple is the ingredient that show was lacking given his track record on the few episodes he was responsible for. We shall see.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 10:43:50 AM »
Yeah, this season will be "make or break" for me. If the writing doesn't improve for the characters and the stories I won't keep watching.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 10:31:55 PM »
Anyone catch the season 4 webisodes yet? I thought they were pretty cool. It was a neat way to tie into the first season/episode of the series. It'd be interesting to see if that character finds his way into the 'real' show.....or maybe the spin-off that's due to hit in 2015.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 10:33:44 PM »
So since Netflix has Season 3 now, I really like it. :I

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 10:50:18 PM »
gmillerdrake I thought a good deal of what makes the new webisodes good is that tie into the first season which you just gave away :lol, luckily I saw them before I saw your post.
I really liked the webisodes, the webisodes that preceded season 2 were cool too IMO.
I'm not liking the idea of a spin off yet.
The webisodes can be found here.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 07:45:39 AM »
Impress me this season please.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 07:50:55 AM »
gmillerdrake I thought a good deal of what makes the new webisodes good is that tie into the first season which you just gave away :lol, luckily I saw them before I saw your post.
I really liked the webisodes, the webisodes that preceded season 2 were cool too IMO.
I'm not liking the idea of a spin off yet.
The webisodes can be found here.

I guess I should have said 'Spoiler'..... :omg: Sorry if that ruined it, but I thought to myself, it's just a webisode.

Concerning the spin off, I hope they do something fresh with it.  If they are just going to essentially take the same mold as far as 'a group on the run' then I'm not to interested. I'd like to see maybe a change in climate?, maybe follow a couple or loner?, or perhaps a military unit like the SEALS or a SWAT team that has stuck together. Whatever it is it needs to differ.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 08:37:19 AM »
I like your military unit idea but I still don't wanna see the spin-off until the run of the original show is over. It's hard to explain why, it just doesn't feel like the show is on solid ground enough to start donating ideas and attention to a different show, despite their huge success among non-snob fans; they still haven't found a consistent direction or track.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 08:46:30 AM »
I like your military unit idea but I still don't wanna see the spin-off until the run of the original show is over. It's hard to explain why, it just doesn't feel like the show is on solid ground enough to start donating ideas and attention to a different show, despite their huge success among non-snob fans; they still haven't found a consistent direction or track.

Impress me this season please.

I've enjoyed the show up,to this point.....but with that being said its been only on the strength of a dozen or so episodes throughout the series. I, like a lot a people I'm hearing/reading say.....am at a very 'make or break' moment with this season.

I'm not asking for all out action every second....but I can't stomach any more of the 'wasted, pointless' minutes in episodes. The writing has to start progressing this group/show.....there's just too much cool material to use as a foundation to meander through the series. Lets crank it up a notch shall we?

I'm hoping they close the Governor storyline off quickly. I'm going to get a bit ticked if they drag that on until mid season or so. That should be a two, at most three episode effort to end that phase of the story.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 08:59:12 AM »
One positive of the break in season 3 is that the wait for season 4 was short. However, I'm excited to watch but I'm not sure if this show will keep up with the momentum is had when season 3 started. I hope they can keep a good solid storyline this season that has a good ending to the season arc.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 12:55:45 PM »
Watching a daily episode of season 3 is much more enjoyable than watching it weekly when it first aired, I wish I could wait until season 4 is over to see it but I'm impatient and also I might not be able to escape spoilers for the entire duration of the season.
I was thinking about the spin off deal and thought one thing I would like to see is a daily account of the outbreak from the start and leading up to the main show, with the format being that each episode would show the events of a day, that would give them grounds for 3 or 4 seasons, I dunno if it might get old fast but it would be exciting to see IMO. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 01:21:01 PM »
Watching a daily episode of season 3 is much more enjoyable than watching it weekly when it first aired, I wish I could wait until season 4 is over to see it but I'm impatient and also I might not be able to escape spoilers for the entire duration of the season.
I was thinking about the spin off deal and thought one thing I would like to see is a daily account of the outbreak from the start and leading up to the main show, with the format being that each episode would show the events of a day, that would give them grounds for 3 or 4 seasons, I dunno if it might get old fast but it would be exciting to see IMO.

Something that would be neat is to see who was 'Walker #1' and maybe spend an episode showing how it snowballed out of control.

My brothers theory was that the camera shot that led the series off of the Crow snacking on something dead in the street was a 'sign' of sorts stating the entire thing was bird born.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 01:39:05 PM »
Just subscribing to the thread, pay no attention to the man behind the green figure curtain.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 09:48:02 AM »
My brothers theory was that the camera shot that led the series off of the Crow snacking on something dead in the street was a 'sign' of sorts stating the entire thing was bird born.
I don't think the writers put that much thought into it.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 10:25:11 AM »
People who want to know how the zombies came to be are watching it wrong. This is not suppose to be a show/comics about zombies, it's a drama with a zombie apocalypse backdrop.

Time and again (in the comics) it's been showed that the zombies are the least of the worries, the other humans are much more of a threat.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 10:39:31 AM »
Has the comic introduced cannibalism?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 10:47:42 AM »
Yep!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2013, 11:39:23 AM »
That's some scary shit when the living are trying to eat you too.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 01:46:51 PM »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2013, 02:34:50 PM »
People who want to know how the zombies came to be are watching it wrong. This is not suppose to be a show/comics about zombies, it's a drama with a zombie apocalypse backdrop.

Time and again (in the comics) it's been showed that the zombies are the least of the worries, the other humans are much more of a threat.

That's what I like most about both the show and comic...that zombies are just secondary fodder. The human element is what drives both...which is why this season is a telling season on whether or not Gimple and Co. can consistently give us well written episodes that allow each character to shine. It's been too sporadic in the first three seasons.

But, I still wouldn't mind knowing the genesis of how the zombies were born.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2013, 03:21:01 PM »
It would be cool to see how the zombies were born but that may be a story for another web series. I really can't see how they would make the history of the first walker play into the story of the series, unless it's like an opening scene or something and that probably wouldn't be enough to show the start of things, or maybe it would.

And while I agree that the people in the series are what drives it, the walkers are still the problem. Perhaps not the most physically dangerous or intelligent enemy but they're still the reason everything is happening.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 03:36:02 PM »
From what I understand, Kirkman doesn't really have an answer for that. But from the what the CDC guy told Rick, I think it's safe to assume it was some kind of virus, maybe something the government tried to weaponize (a la Captain Tripps from The Stand) that went awry.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2013, 07:36:49 PM »
I'm thinking the lady Rick's following is a cannibal

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2013, 10:18:41 PM »
I liked the first episode. It was a glimpse at how things 'could' begin to work if you start to gather numbers together. I like the aspects from the comic they infused as far as the council and even Rick/Daryl recruiting and finding people to bring in.

Watching the Talking Dead afterward and having Gimple explain the purpose behind such a 'tame' episode more or less makes sense and it'll be interesting to see how the season progresses.

I'm curious as to if now the virus is somehow air born and can infect people...on why/how that kid contracted the new strand so to speak that kills you without being bit or you just dying. Kind of ruins that whole 'safe behind the fence' feeling.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 10:34:08 PM »
He could have just gotten sick and died from an illness left untreated. But I saw a lot of blood and suspect a stray zombie somehow got him.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2013, 10:37:18 PM »
He could have just gotten sick and died from an illness left untreated. But I saw a lot of blood and suspect a stray zombie somehow got him.

I think the two scenes they dedicated to Rick singling out the zombie with two missing eyes is tied to that kids death as well. Like that zombie died of the same thing. It's like a new 'breed' of zombie. They arely focus the attention on one particular zombie unless there is something more to it. And the way Rick noticed that zombie was almost as if he knew it was 'out of place', like he had that cop 'hunch'

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2013, 07:22:32 AM »
I have very mixed feelings about last night's episode. Part of me really hated it. There were some moments where the script made me want to puke, and I felt the acting was terrible. But then there were other times (like Rick talking with the bitch in the forest) where I was on the edge of my seat ready to have an anxiety attack.

Talking points because I'm in a hurry;

1) The scene with the raining walkers was completely lame. Those walkers were probably doing laps up there for weeks. Why all of a sudden does the roof start caving in all over the place?

2) That kid that was with Hershel's daughter in the beginning, the one that got eaten... Yeah, him getting eaten was hard to watch and painful.

3) I genuinely felt bad for the lady in the woods.

4) The bloody eye zombie definitely has a connection to the dead nerd.

5) Speaking of the dead nerd, I know I've seen him before and I can't.... WAIT!!! EVERYBODY HATES CHRIS (I think, lol).

6) Carl became a major bitch. Man up and tap Hershel's daughter, he won't even have to say bye when he's finished.

7) Is Michonne on a come and go basis? Or is she still in the prison, but just leaves while she tries to find the governor?

8) Is Rick fucking nuts walking around outside the fence without a gun?

9) There are now two black males on the show. Tyrese and and that other guy who was a medic in the military. Given The Walking Dead's history, which one of them goes first??

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2013, 07:29:10 AM »
Pretty sure the actor who played "kid who got eaten that might have been tapping Hershel's daughter" only wanted to be on the show to get killed. He's been in several movies including horror.