Author Topic: Enigma Machine  (Read 35868 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Enigma Machine
« on: September 26, 2013, 12:37:56 PM »
Because all of the new songs should probably have their own thread, here is one for Enigma Machine. 

This song didn't do a lot for me at first, but it is slowly growing on me.  It's still near the bottom in regards to favorites from the new record, but I am starting to like it more. 

Also, there is NO "The" in Enigma Machine, so some need to go out of that nasty habit of adding one. :biggrin: :lol

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
Re: Enigma Machine
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 12:47:35 PM »
Because all of the new songs should probably have their own thread, here is one for Enigma Machine. 

This song didn't do a lot for me at first, but it is slowly growing on me.  It's still near the bottom in regards to favorites from the new record, but I am starting to like it more. 

Also, there is NO "The" in Enigma Machine, so some need to go out of that nasty habit of adding one. :biggrin: :lol

Thank you! I'm pretty sure I've seen it abbreviated as TEM before, which certainly confused me.

As far as the song goes, here's hoping it grows on me. Every other song on the album has at least one "wow!" moment for me, but I am still trying to find one of those with Enigma Machine.

Also, is anyone else disappointed with the length of the bass solo? When I heard that there was a bass solo in EM, I was pretty excited as I'm sure many others were. When I finally heard the bass solo in EM, I couldn't help but think "that was it?".
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 12:54:32 PM »
I quite like this one. Many here seems to not like it but I do. Nice and catchy riffs, great performances from the band, and a fine driving rhythm. I would rank it in the middle of all their instrumentals.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline metrojam

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 12:56:58 PM »
In my mind its by far the biggest disappointment on the new record and the worst instrumental the guys have ever released. Despite repeated listens, there is NOTHING that grabs me about it all. I can't find any sense of purpose, direction or groove in it and there are just no memorable parts either. And yes! as for the 3 second Bass solo...........................................
Totally forgettable song, will definitely be the "going to the bar" interlude at the concerts.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 01:00:30 PM »
This song is awesome, I hate how it seems to be regarded as one of the worst on the new record.

Best part of the song is easily the doom riff at the beginning and especially at the end. So fucking evil.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 01:01:38 PM »
It's like the new Ytse Jam.  Which has always been my favorite instrumental.  It's just a very classic structure, not crazy like DOE or going on and on like SOC.  just a cool riff that will make your head bob and some cool solos with a short B section. I love it!

Offline JoeG

• Engineering student by day, DTF word-spewer by night
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 01:13:48 PM »
Enigma Machine is the only song that hasn't "clicked" for me yet. It has some very cool elements, but I'm not feeling it as a whole right now. Instrumentals tend to take much longer to grow on me though, so I don't doubt Enigma Machine will do the same.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 01:15:59 PM »
Enigma Machine is the only song that hasn't "clicked" for me yet. It has some very cool elements, but I'm not feeling it as a whole right now. Instrumentals tend to take much longer to grow on me though, so I don't doubt Enigma Machine will do the same.

About the same for me, and the fact that there hasn't been a proper album-instrumental in 10 years and 5 albums... I think I'm a bit "Oh..." about it, kind of "Meh..." at first. I LIKE it, but I'm not going GAGA over it. It's good, definitely, but it'll take awhile to click.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 01:31:59 PM »
I love this track.  As soon as I heard it, I knew it would be a bit controversial.  It's got a bit of an atonal edge to it that makes it less accessible.

The riffs in this song, though...love it.  :tup

Offline dparrott

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 01:34:03 PM »
I dig it, and MM's mini solo was a nice surprise too.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 01:56:07 PM »
Mangini drives the song with massive power. I was hit by that energy the first time I listened to it. Really love Jordan's Hammond organ patch, thus 2:03 is a big highlight. 1:40 sounds like some of my favorite epic NES soundtracks. JM's bass fills are great, especially because of his sound and Mike's drum solo is up there with Virgil Donati's Clonus fill, as one of my favorite short drum solos. Claiming it to be worse than Raw Dog is one of the most horrendous opinions I've ever read on DTF.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 02:59:17 PM »
I dig it a lot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 05:09:39 PM »
I do like it. It has an incredible unison.

But my thought when listening is that this will be heralded while Raw Dog gets trashed. I'm thinking, what's the difference? I know there is a difference, but really, what's THE difference?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 05:16:09 PM »
Mangini drives the song with massive power.

James drives a forklift.

:forklift:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 06:07:55 PM »
JP is in overdrive.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 07:35:53 PM »

But my thought when listening is that this will be heralded while Raw Dog gets trashed. I'm thinking, what's the difference? I know there is a difference, but really, what's THE difference?

I think a better question would be "what do they have in common?"  Raw Dog is pretty repetitive and uninspired, while Enigma Machine is much more interesting and focused. 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 07:42:26 PM »
Enigma Machine is less dragged-out and has more "fuck yeah" moments.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 09:14:12 PM »

I think a better question would be "what do they have in common?"  Raw Dog is pretty repetitive and uninspired, while Enigma Machine is much more interesting and focused. 

They're both largely just riffs and solos, although EM's riffing has a lot more melody to it. To me there's not a huge amount of difference, although EM does it a bit better. I think they're both among DT's weakest instrumentals though.

But that said, I still enjoy EM from start to finish, but it's not even the best instrumental on the album.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 09:17:05 PM »
I love this song. I would put it as probably my third favorite DT instrumental.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 10:37:48 PM »
I feel disappointed with it so far but it needs more listens.  I do agree that it does feel kind of aimless.  One thing I appreciate about a good instrumental is that it feels like a story is being told without words.  Like you are on a journey.  It takes you to different places.  I am getting none of that so far from EM.

Offline adastra

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 10:43:40 PM »
I'm not really liking this song.  Maybe it is too "metallish" for me.. And the soft section is kinda out of place and  bland.
  :angel:
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline keys76

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 10:53:29 PM »
One of the cool parts of the song is the part after the doom riff in the beginning just before the theme. It reminds me from listen nr. 1 of a....yes....machine winding and unwinding

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 11:40:24 PM »
Amazing instrumental. Blows most of their other ones out of the water, IMO. It's got everything, great metal riffs, great progressive bits, lots of kick ass changes, everything a DT instrumental should have. If people asked me, "Show me how this band's music is particularly unique" this would easily be one of the examples I'd show them.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Öxölklöfför

• Pull my finger, I'm not afraid.
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 12:22:06 AM »
When I first heard it, I got to think of a Thin Lizzy instrumental called "Mama don't like it" (an instrumental demo version of "Someday's she's going to hit back"). I think it's the bridge section in EM that reminds me of it. Not that the riff appears in that song, but there is something in the melodies that sound similar. Might be worth checking out.

With that said, I think it's great. I found it a lot more playful than some of it's predecessors, which I find refreshing. The evil Inspector Gadget theme makes me smile every time :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 12:25:59 AM »
When I first heard it, I got to think of a Thin Lizzy instrumental called "Mama don't like it" (an instrumental demo version of "Someday's she's going to hit back"). I think it's the bridge section in EM that reminds me of it. Not that the riff appears in that song, but there is something in the melodies that sound similar. Might be worth checking out.

With that said, I think it's great. I found it a lot more playful than some of it's predecessors, which I find refreshing. The evil Inspector Gadget theme makes me smile every time :)

It can go along with the Inspector Gadget riff at the start of Strange Deja Vu. :hat
It definitely has a sense of fun that I felt was lacking from ADTOE, so I'm glad that's back.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Aquila Chrysaetos

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 02:37:26 AM »
It's ok, but in comparison with for example Erotomania the emphasis is way too much on technicality instead of melody.
Erotomania is a wonderfully melodic song whereas EM is somewhat of a shredfest to me.

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 02:45:33 AM »
Dat riff! I'm starting to really like EM.
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 02:47:37 AM »
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 02:55:54 AM »
Seriously though...

This track is a major grower. At first I was a little weirded out by the main riff. Felt a little too whimsical. My first thought was the Pink Panther meets Inspector Gadget. That was a bit distracting for the first few listens, but now I hear so much kick ass wankery in that song that I'm just :omg :metal

I actually went back and watched the 3rd studio video (with the scatman vocal part).... hard to believe that turned into one of the coolest little drum solos on the album. :tup
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 03:37:25 AM »
My least favorite of the album; but it is much better now than it used to be 2 weeks ago. IMO it lacks good emotional moment(s) ala SOC outro or Hell's Kitchen or Overture 1928 and such moments usually serve to fill the gaps left by the absence of vocals, and in that song the only emotional moment is the TCOT reference which is in fact not touching me. 

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 04:21:19 AM »
I pretty much agree with Moor above me, but I would add that the initial and final riff is huge as hell  :metal
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 05:06:46 AM »
JP is in overdrive.

Apart from when he is in the clean channel .

Offline GalacticGuitarist87

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 05:09:27 AM »
ThIs Song absolutely Kills It! The Petrucci Solo Halfway Through Is Insane, And That Heavy Shit At The End Is  :xbones >:( :tup :metal

Offline BanksD

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 05:26:06 AM »
This was actually one of the first songs to really click with me from the album, its just so energetic and fun that I couldn't help but smile while I was listening to it the first time because I could tell the guys were just enjoying the hell out of it

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 10:08:36 PM »
Probably the worst "song" on the album, along with the Rush rip-off.