Author Topic: Metal Church is back!! UPDATE RIP MIKE HOWE!  (Read 7616 times)

Offline CrimsonE

Re: Metal Church is back!! UPDATE RIP MIKE HOWE!
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2021, 05:55:17 AM »
This is very sad news.  MC was among my favorite bands back in the day, and the three albums they did with Mike Howe were close to untouchable.  Like a lot of metal bands in fhe late 80's and early 90s, they should have been much bigger, but timing was against them, thanks to the emergence of grunge in 1991.   Nonetheless, Mike Howe was a big part of the success they did have, and he could deliver the goods live.  I saw them five times over the years, three in the early 90's and two in 2017.  Of particular fun was their headlining gig at ProgPower USA in 2017.  If you closed your eyes and listened to Howe, you would not have known he had been semi-retired as his voice was as on point as ever.  Check out the link below. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELJ0UIIRb9M&t=177s

In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2021, 11:20:48 AM »
I got into Metal Church late. Once I did, Howe was my favorite vocalist from them. I never got to see him live though, unfortunately. My only Metal Church concert was with Ronny Munroe, who did a phenomenal job. But I was always bummed I never got the chance to see Mike Howe perform live with them. May he rest in peace. Condolences to his loved ones and friends.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2021, 05:33:32 PM »
The only time I saw Metal Church live was when they opened for Metallica on the Master of Puppets tour. There was a power outage during Metal Church's set.

The first two albums with David Wayne are my favourites, but the Mike Howe albums are great too.

RIP

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2021, 05:35:53 PM »
I only saw Metal Church twice on the Operation Rock And Roll tour in the summer of 1991.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2021, 05:41:23 PM »
So I own;

Metal Church
The Dark
Blessing in Disguise
Masterpeace
Weight of the World
This Present Wasteland
XI

Keen to get XI in the car.  Haven't listened to it for ages.  Keen to go back and check Hanging.  I spun that a couple of times when Brent pimped it in his top 50 and remember really liking it.  Not sure why I didn't fully follow up on it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2021, 05:47:44 PM »
Hanging definitely deserves hard pimping! It's just SO good. I would go for The Human Factor too. Not as good as Blessing or Hanging for me, but great album nonetheless.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2021, 07:03:16 PM »
It only just now occurred to me for the first time that I’ve actually seen Metal Church three times….once with each lead singer.

Saw them with David Wayne opening for Metallica Dec 86
With Howe opening for Queensryche New Years Eve 88
And with Munroe headlining at a small club in Tacoma supporting Generation Zero.

I ***ALMOST*** went and saw the show in Aberdeen with Mike Howe just a couple years ago. My wife and I were at the ocean for the weekend and the show was less than a half hour away. My wife told me to go…..but I knew that was one of those times that you choose them over what they’re telling you to do.  :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2021, 01:42:54 AM »
I don't know the band well so had not looked at this thread before now but I had The Human Factor back when it came out. The Final Word was on a Metal Hammer cover disc.

I didn't realise who had passed until I looked it up. Absolutely great vocalist.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 02:58:13 AM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2021, 09:10:26 AM »
OFFICIAL BAND STATEMENT: If you knew Mike Howe, then you knew he was a truly good human being who loved his friends, his family and his many fans around the world. He would always go the extra mile to make someone feel good and he would always give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. We ask that you remember Mike in that way and for the amazing metal music he created. As to what really happened? He was victimized by a failing healthcare system and subsequently poisoned by the venom of big-pharma. In short and in essence, he fell prey to the real "Fake Healer"...enough said. #truth Godspeed Mike Howe, WE LOVE YOU!!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2021, 09:27:25 AM »
Has been declared a suicide  :'(
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jammindude

« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2021, 09:58:00 AM »

I saw one fan say that in the comment thread, but I haven’t seen a source. I picture a scenario where it’s possible that both are true. Obviously, some mental health medication‘s cause suicidal thoughts. That’s what the family is blaming for the death of Chris Cornell.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2021, 09:59:41 AM »

I saw one fan say that in the comment thread, but I haven’t seen a source. I picture a scenario where it’s possible that both are true. Obviously, some mental health medication‘s cause suicidal thoughts. That’s what the family is blaming for the death of Chris Cornell.

Brent is the only source I need.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2021, 11:40:46 AM »
That first verse of Gods Of Second Chance proves prophetic.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2021, 01:04:42 PM »
So sad.

The band just posted a new statement.  I really disliked how they worded the first one that is quoted above, with the "big pharma" stuff.  Here is the new statement clarifying their message:

Concerning our recently deleted post addressing the news that Mike’s passing was a suicide, we wanted to dispel any misconceptions that might have arisen from certain media reports. In our efforts to do that, our attempts at honesty created a narrative that fell outside our purest of intentions. We were in no way, shape or form referring to anything in relation to vaccinations, COVID or politics. We were saying our brother was hurting and while he was seeking medical care for it, the treatments he was utilizing did not protect him. Otherwise, he would still be with us today.

If you knew Mike Howe, then you knew he was a truly good human being who loved his friends, his family and his many fans around the world. He would always go the extra mile to make someone feel good and he would always give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. We ask that you remember Mike in that way and for the amazing metal music he created.

This is an extremely difficult time for everyone who knew Mike personally and those that knew him through the music. We are all still processing the loss of our brother. We apologize that the original statement was misunderstood or created an incorrect dialog. We ask that you please stop attacking each other in relation to Mike’s passing and Metal Church. We ask that you take that energy and use it to keep Mike’s memory alive by sharing the music he created while he was with us. We want Metal Church music to bring people together as it has over the years and not be divisive.

Godspeed Mike Howe, WE LOVE YOU!!!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2021, 02:33:43 PM »

That’s a bit of a misrepresentation. Antidepressants can increase your motivation and energy that’s lacking in severe depression and make you more likely to act on suicidal thoughts.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2021, 02:40:58 PM »
Good Lord!  :(
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2021, 05:26:57 PM »

That’s a bit of a misrepresentation. Antidepressants can increase your motivation and energy that’s lacking in severe depression and make you more likely to act on suicidal thoughts.

Of course, we can’t know the ins and outs of every situation, because every situation is different. My wife is bipolar, and also suffers from PTSD and depression. We’ve been through many “cocktails” over the years trying to find the right fit…and one thing I can say for certain: One person’s miracle drug can put another person in the psych ward. It takes constant monitoring and tweaking and only making adjustments under professional guidance.

Right now my wife is doing extremely well, but even with that they warn us that this “cocktail” may not work forever.  Bodies build up tolerance…yada yada yada..,

My point is that different medications hit people different ways. Mental health meds are still…most often…a very “shot in the dark” field.

Offline emtee

« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2021, 01:11:04 PM »
Question: Had Amazon discovery playlist on the way home from work today and bonus studio version of Fake Healer came on with Todd LaTorre on guest vocals. It sounded awesome! What release is this from?

Thanks in advance.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2021, 01:50:02 PM »
Question: Had Amazon discovery playlist on the way home from work today and bonus studio version of Fake Healer came on with Todd LaTorre on guest vocals. It sounded awesome! What release is this from?

Thanks in advance.

They released it online, but I don’t think it has a physical release.

Offline emtee

« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2021, 02:04:14 PM »
Thanks, JD. The sound is really pristine. Drums sound great. I'll dig a little and maybe try to buy it.

https://youtu.be/ltPnXMu52p4

Offline Grappler

« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2021, 05:17:09 AM »

Thanks in advance.

They released it online, but I don’t think it has a physical release.

It was on the Classic Live album that they put out a handful of years ago.  A bunch of live songs and then the new version of Fake Healer.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2023, 11:14:19 AM »
Anyone see the teaser for the new album on Facebook?

They still haven’t announced a name, but the dude REALLY sounds like David Wayne!!

https://fb.watch/il7Om2yA7Z/?mibextid=v7YzmG

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2023, 03:34:21 PM »
Anyone see the teaser for the new album on Facebook?

They still haven’t announced a name, but the dude REALLY sounds like David Wayne!!

https://fb.watch/il7Om2yA7Z/?mibextid=v7YzmG

Blabbermouth claims it's some guy...Lopez(?) I think the last name is? Sounds good. Looking forward to their new album. I am sure a bunch of Metal Church news will be forthcoming.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2023, 08:11:37 AM »
New Metal Church out today!

Congregation of Annihilation is the name of the record.

Really enjoying my first listen of this one. Heavy as hell, and Marc Lopes hits that sweet spot between the late Mike Howe and David Wayne. Lopes does both those guys proud. If you're a fan of these guys, pick this record up.  :metal

Also, the first biography on Metal Church is on its way. It's an official biography, and due for release in Fall 2023 on Northwest Metalworx - https://nwmetalworxmusic.com/  (book is NOT up for pre-order yet)

Offline Grappler

« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2023, 08:29:53 AM »
He really does sound a lot like David Wayne!  I've listened once and really enjoyed it.  I'm amazed that I never kept up with this band until the last handful of years.  They're right up my alley.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2023, 08:35:16 AM »
He really does sound a lot like David Wayne!  I've listened once and really enjoyed it.  I'm amazed that I never kept up with this band until the last handful of years.  They're right up my alley.

Yeah, that does sound odd, knowing your musical tastes. Well, gives you lots of stuff to catch up on and enjoy, right?  :metal

Have a great weekend bud. I know you've been busy. Try and recharge a bit.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2023, 08:55:04 AM »
Really enjoying my first listen of this one. Heavy as hell, and Marc Lopes hits that sweet spot between the late Mike Howe and David Wayne. Lopes does both those guys proud. If you're a fan of these guys, pick this record up.  :metal

I'm afraid I'm going to try too hard to like this. I'm not really connecting with this singer. Musically, this is pretty solid, even if it's not great, but that's always been Metal Church.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2023, 09:18:19 AM »
Will check it out soon............I have always connected more with the Howe era and it sounds a bit more like the old stuff from the little I have heard

TBH I thought this thread update might have been about the recent passing of Kirk Arrington    R.I.P.     :sad:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2023, 09:21:17 AM »

TBH I thought this thread update might have been about the recent passing of Kirk Arrington    R.I.P.   :'(

Oh shit Brent, I did not hear that. I liked him.

Says he left the band due to complications with diabetes in 2006. He was only 61. Fuck.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2023, 09:36:49 AM »

Yeah, that does sound odd, knowing your musical tastes. Well, gives you lots of stuff to catch up on and enjoy, right?  :metal

Have a great weekend bud. I know you've been busy. Try and recharge a bit.

I think I'm more angry at myself for not going to see them play in a tiny little bar in 2018(?).  I felt lazy that night and stayed home, then a few years later, Mike Howe is gone.

I'll be putting work aside to finish some household projects tomorrow.  It never ends, but at least it beats sitting in front of my computer for another day.  If the weather cooperates, I can swim with the kids.

I'm afraid I'm going to try too hard to like this. I'm not really connecting with this singer. Musically, this is pretty solid, even if it's not great, but that's always been Metal Church.

Tonally, the new guy sounds a lot like David Wayne.  But when he sings fast (chorus of Congregation of Annihilation) he sounds a lot like Mike.  The band said that they plan to play mostly older songs live, so the new songs will probably blend in well in a setlist.  Just please don't drop Start the Fire!

Offline emtee

« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2023, 10:26:52 AM »
Hopefully it's available on Prime so I can listen tonight.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2023, 11:43:09 AM »

TBH I thought this thread update might have been about the recent passing of Kirk Arrington    R.I.P.     :sad:

RIP. I meant to add that.  :-[

Grapp - I missed a show (maybe the same year) that Metal Church and Armored Saint did together. It was a work night, I had a ticket, but I was exhausted had a really busy day the next day, and didn't want the hassle. So my wife went instead. I regret that one big time.

Offline emtee

« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2023, 02:29:09 PM »
Very enjoyable listen. Kind of funny today, I had these new albums come up on my recommended Prime feed; LA Guns, Winger and Metal Church. I felt like I was in a time warp.

Kudos to the band for such a strong effort this deep into their career.