Author Topic: Metal Church is back!! UPDATE RIP MIKE HOWE!  (Read 7598 times)

Offline jammindude

Metal Church is back!! UPDATE RIP MIKE HOWE!
« on: September 25, 2013, 04:15:41 PM »
I was shopping on Amazon (MiL bought me a $50 gift card...I love my MiL)....and a new Metal Church album came up!!   I was like, what the heck?   They had broken up and cancelled a bunch of dates back in 2009 after their last album sold less than a thousand copies in its first week!   (which is really sad...they are a totally under appreciated band)

But sure enough.... according to Wiki they did a reunion show in 2012 and started working on a new album.   It's called Generation Nothing and will be dropping on Oct 22nd.   

Anyone else curious about this release?    I never kept up with the Ronnie Munroe version of the band, but I'd love to see if they can live up to the legacy.   I've always had a tough time with any of their stuff that wasn't with David Wayne....although I really did grow to love a couple of those Howe fronted albums...The Human Factor in particular.

Can anyone tell me anything about the Munroe version of the band?   Any of them any good?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 06:00:59 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

Re: Metal Church is back!!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 10:15:41 PM »
Wow...

Listen....

...crickets...

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 10:19:34 PM »
I'm only familiar with their debut album.  It's pretty good.  Beyond the Black and Gods of Wrath were cool.  That's all I can say :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 10:20:22 PM »
I'm only familiar with their debut album.  It's pretty good.  Beyond the Black and Gods of Wrath were cool.  That's all I can say :lol

I can't speak for their last several...but I highly recommend The Human Factor. 

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 10:39:15 PM »
I'll have a look.  I dug out the debut because of this thread, and the music is actually a lot better than I remember it being.  I'll have a look at The Human Factor.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 09:25:22 AM »
Funny. I was singing "Psycho" on the way to work this morning.

"Someone sticks a knife in your throat... and you diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie!!!"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 09:44:26 AM »
J Dude, I had a similar experience a few years ago. I was buying some CDs and I see This Present Wasteland, which was new at the time. I made a blind buy.
It was alright, but really nothing special. I probably haven't listened to it since. I would definitely recommend sampling the tracks first.

That said, I am a HUGE Mike Howe era fan. Those three albums are great!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 10:22:26 AM »
I just heard the new single "Scream".....FIND IT!  I don't know if it's this way on all the Munroe albums, but on this track he sounds SO MUCH like David Wayne it's creepy.

If the rest of the album is this good, it's a first day buy for me. 

And if I get back to work this week, I'll buy the fan boy package for $95.   YOU GET A PERSONAL THANK YOU PHONE CALL FROM KURDT VANDERHOOF!!

https://www.ratpakrecordsamerica.com/metalchurch

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 10:33:11 AM »
Never really got into the Munroe MC.....seemed something was missing
As far as the Wayne/Howe versions of the band ...a big big fan here

If you like The Human Factor...Check out Blessing in Disguise
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 10:46:45 AM »
Never really got into the Munroe MC.....seemed something was missing
As far as the Wayne/Howe versions of the band ...a big big fan here

If you like The Human Factor...Check out Blessing in Disguise

I'm from Seattle...I was *IN LINE* the day BiD came out. 

The music is fantastic, but production-wise it is one of the worst albums in existence.   It was the exact same producer and the exact same year as When Dream and Day Unite....and it has that exact same "we recorded this album with the band playing in the back of a cave with a single microphone placed at the mouth of the cave" sound to it.   

Love the music, LOATHE the sound quality.    Great songs, but that horrible production makes it almost unlistenable to me.   That's why I usually point to The Human Factor as a better example of the Howe era.   Complete 180 of sound quality.  That album really hits you like a 2x4.    Never heard Hanging in the Balance though...but the new song has me wanting to play "catch up" with this band.  :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 03:15:25 PM »
Metal Church are pretty damn good.  I have a few of their albums.  Blessing in Disguise is probably the best one.  I actually really like The Weight of the World too.  I'll have to dig out the Metal Church cd's.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 04:20:22 PM »
The classic debut is one of my favorite thrash albums  :metal
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 12:35:35 PM »
Well...the one month "Winter Tour" is over...but they are wrapping it up with a hometown gig at Louie G's this Friday night.

Any Seattlites wanna hang out?

I'm listening to the new album now, and if you like old school thrash...this album is AWESOME!   I would argue that it captures the spirit of old school without sounding like a complete rehash better than the new Metallica does.   And I CANNOT BELIEVE how much Ronnie sounds like David Wayne on this album!   If anything, he sings in the style of David Wayne, but with better technique, more power, and better pitch.    I think that's cool, because he's truly a professional who (as far as I can tell so far) really takes care of his instrument, and as such, can probably sing the classics better than Wayne did...but not make it unrecognizable from the originals.   

Perfect balance.

Anyone else heard the new album yet?    I'm going to have a full review up later today...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 10:26:47 PM »
My review of the new Metal Church album is up here.

It is a really fantastic album guys.   IMO, it is WORLDS better than the new Metallica song.   Like I say in the interview...there's a fine line between "retro" and "retread".   I think Metal Church has truly captured the spirit of their classic era, without just phoning in a rehash.   

Check it out. 

https://www.northwestmusicscene.com/2014/03/cd-review-metal-churchs-generation-nothing/

And I will be at the show at Louie G's in Tacoma this Friday night!  Let me know if you're going to be there!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 05:23:39 AM »
Ill put it on the list. Probably cant get it right away though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 10:13:44 PM »
Check it out guys.....MIKE HOWE IS BACK IN METAL CHURCH!!!!!!   

:panicattack:

They are are recording a new album, and they've released a re-record of Badlands on You Tube.    Not only does Mike sound as awesome as he ever did, but for me, this completely fixes the sonic issues I've always had with everything on Blessing in Disguise. 

https://youtu.be/c0h9m6eMC_M

That's not to say it's perfect....Mike's vox were recorded a bit "dry" for my tastes.   But at that point it's really just nitpicking.   I think this version sounds MUCH fuller and in your face than the original.   

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 10:45:30 PM »
The Mike Howe back in Metal Church news broke in the metal thread on May 1st JD - get with the program  ;D

I think that new version of Badlands sounds great , even though IMO the vocals aren't quite at the level of 25 years ago (no surprise). I am pumped for this too -  Blessing In Disguise + Hanging In The Balance got a place in my Top 50.

:metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jammindude

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 11:16:49 PM »
I was just dragging my feet until there was something to SHOW for it.    :angel:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 11:21:15 PM »
 :)   Good idea to do that little release  - their FB page is certainly well populated. 

NP  Fake Healer  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jammindude

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 08:30:20 PM »
Speaking of something to show for it...   They just posted a snippet of a new song they're working on at Soundcloud.   MIKE SOUNDS FANTASTIC!!

https://soundcloud.com/rat-pak-records/metal-church-teaser-mike-howe

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 08:38:04 PM »
Its clearly a rough demo, but Mike sounds he hasnt lost a step.  Sounds great

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 02:18:37 PM »
Awesome! Love the bass tone.
I cannot wait for this album!  :metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2019, 10:13:36 AM »
BUMP

New release Damned If You Do came out in December. I was a little late in picking it up, but Vanderhoof’s ability to come up with kick-ass riffs 35 years on is pretty freakin amazing. And Mike Howe hasn’t lost a step. I’m really glad to see them working so well together. I know there was a time when Kurdt had pretty much called it quits. But this new album is really solid.

(He also put out a new Presto Ballet album. Totally different, but just as amazing)

Here’s a taste of Damned If You Do:

https://youtu.be/Zy5q7bxzy0w

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 12:37:16 PM »
I’ve posted elsewhere but this album has nothing. My Dissapointment Of The Year.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 04:05:41 PM »
I’ve posted elsewhere but this album has nothing. My Dissapointment Of The Year.

I struggled too and I'm a big fan.  Howe is great as JD notes but to me the songwriting is dialled in.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2019, 02:01:00 PM »

I pre-ordered it. Sadly, I found myself bored. Nothing really other than standard Metal Church. It's not BAD, it's just not particularly a standout either.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2021, 07:16:01 PM »
I've never really listened to The Dark until today....what a ridiculously awesome album!   I usually reach for my favorite Mike Howe-era albums and the newer ones, but felt like going back to the David Wayne stuff. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2021, 07:18:18 PM »
I've never really listened to The Dark until today....what a ridiculously awesome album!   I usually reach for my favorite Mike Howe-era albums and the newer ones, but felt like going back to the David Wayne stuff. 

I spun that one just a few weeks back.  I really enjoyed it.  Maybe even more so than before.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2021, 10:54:33 PM »
The self titled debut is still my favorite.

I’ve actually been meaning to check out the Monroe material. I happened to see them at a small club promoting Generation Zero and I ended up picking it up and liking it, but I’ve never heard any of their other albums with him.

I spun The Human Factor recently, and I think that might be my favorite Howe album with XI a close second. Never did hear Hanging in the Balance (though I heard the material was far better than the cover suggested)

The material on Blessing is excellent, but the mix is so terrible to my ears that it just kills it. No coincidence that it was done by the same man as WDADU and very near the same time. I think he went completely deaf while producing those two albums.

Online nick_z

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2021, 07:09:04 AM »
The self-titled debut is fantastic. I don't like The Dark as much, although it obviously has great moments.

Blessing in Disguise is probably my favorite - agreed it doesn't sound great, but the material is so strong, I can get behind it anyway  ;D Human Factor is very good, but (this might be a tad controversial, who knows?) I think Hanging in the Balance is even better.

If you haven't heard it yet, please do - it IS indeed much better than the cover suggests! It came out at such a weird time, and in some way it is a bit of weird album, period. Not really "experimental", per se - there plenty of classic sounding songs - but I'd say there some slight tangents relative to the typical Metal Church sound. The two longer tracks, Little Boy and End of the Age, are pretty phenomenal. Then Gods of Second Chance (with Jerry Cantrell guesting!), Losers in the Game, Waiting for a Savior and so on...great stuff!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2021, 07:13:38 AM »
The self-titled debut is fantastic. I don't like The Dark as much, although it obviously has great moments.

Blessing in Disguise is probably my favorite - agreed it doesn't sound great, but the material is so strong, I can get behind it anyway  ;D Human Factor is very good, but (this might be a tad controversial, who knows?) I think Hanging in the Balance is even better.

If you haven't heard it yet, please do - it IS indeed much better than the cover suggests! It came out at such a weird time, and in some way it is a bit of weird album, period. Not really "experimental", per se - there plenty of classic sounding songs - but I'd say there some slight tangents relative to the typical Metal Church sound. The two longer tracks, Little Boy and End of the Age, are pretty phenomenal. Then Gods of Second Chance (with Jerry Cantrell guesting!), Losers in the Game, Waiting for a Savior and so on...great stuff!

Not controversial for me at all - spot on.    Blessing In Disguise and Hanging In The Balance tied for a spot in my DTF all time Top 50 .   Hanging In The Balance does have a more progressive edge to it that really works for me.  And yeah..............the cover was a real masterstroke (not!)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2021, 09:14:48 AM »
Hanging In The Balance is an amazing album.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2021, 10:56:08 AM »
Is anyone else familiar with the Monroe stuff? I know it really got overlooked and wasn’t even very widely released. But Vanderhoof is such an incredible songwriter that I have a tough time believing that the albums would’ve suffered for it.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2021, 12:01:58 PM »
I just saw these guys live last year and they were great.  Touring their new album "Damned if you Do"

Title track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy5q7bxzy0w

Album kicks ass  :metal

Online nick_z

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2021, 07:12:21 AM »
Hanging In The Balance is an amazing album.

And how good is Kirk Arrington's drumming (on this, and elsewhere)? Love it.