Author Topic: DT12 available on HD Tracks!  (Read 54399 times)

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT12 available on HD Tracks!
« Reply #350 on: September 27, 2013, 01:54:13 PM »
I'm really bummed hearing you all say how great the HD tracks sound, while I'm listening to the muddy CD in my car.  I feel like DT made this album with the HD Tracks in mind, but a large portion of us still use CDs -- so they should have kept that in mind.  I'm not a computer person.  I've never even purchased any music on iTunes and I don't even own and iPod.  For me to download HD tracks and figure out how to "downsample" them or whatever terms you guys are using, and then burn it to a CD is kinda complicated to me.  I haven't even burned a CD in like 10 years, and when I used to do it often came out as a data CD.  I don't have the patience to set aside hours to figure out how to put HD tracks on a CD to listen in my 2004 car stereo -- and potentially waste the $20 if I can't figure out how to do it.  That's why I'm paying Roadrunner, so I don't have to do all this.  Why don't they just offer the HD audio on CD as best as possible?  Make the fans happy.  There's a demand for this, so I hope they listen and do it.  (Sorry, just venting.)

If you have Windows Media Player you can just download the WAV files and burn them to a CD.  I'm pretty sure that it will downsample automatically.  PM me and maybe I can help you out if you are having trouble.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline pgf

« Reply #351 on: September 27, 2013, 01:59:21 PM »
I bought the FLAC files. Could somebody tell my what would be the best way to burn them to a cd ?

And yes, the HD version sounds way much better than the CD.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #352 on: September 27, 2013, 02:03:51 PM »
Those cymbals. That orchestra section. The keyboards!  :hefdaddy
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #353 on: September 27, 2013, 02:07:26 PM »
Hint: There are at least 10 descriptions and attempts to help by 10 different people on the last 10 pages about the file formats, their differences, pros and cons, and suggestions for conversion tools ranging from entry level to in depth pro in this topic alone. A little reading beyond the current page will help a lot. :\

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: September 27, 2013, 02:11:50 PM »
VLC WILL PLAY ANYTHING.

If you want to get the FLAC on your Portable Device - I can't answer that.

Offline JRuless

« Reply #355 on: September 27, 2013, 02:40:08 PM »
sounds great on my good old EMU 1820m at 96000 hz with SH HD 380 Pro  :metal

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: September 27, 2013, 07:34:06 PM »
So far I'm happy I spent the bucks on this version.  Already I hear a big difference, mostly I hear more of the highs now.  More defined cymbal and pronounced keyboard/guitar subtleties.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 10:12:13 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #357 on: September 27, 2013, 08:55:39 PM »
QUESTION!

Do I have to downsample the 48000 version to 44100 or will the 48000 still play on say, my android phone? I'm listening to the 48000 version through Audacity on my 7 year old computer and it's playing just fine.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #358 on: September 27, 2013, 09:14:48 PM »
48k is a rather common format, so I would be surprised if phones couldn't handle it. 96k, I doubt it.

Here's a very different comment though I thought of yesterday: it's kinda hilarious to hear people here talk about 96k files while
a) the human ear can't discern it
b) the average sound card (let alone a 3x3mm smartphone sound card) will do a shoddy job at playing it
c) headphones have a district w drop-off beyond 20kHz too

People have raised the concern that HDTracks are just upsampled versions of the original. Frankly, I can't blame the guy running it. The vast majority of consumers listen to "audiophile" files through shite sound cards, head phones and ears. Why bother put in the effort.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cool34231a

« Reply #359 on: September 27, 2013, 10:29:24 PM »
I find this to be the best player for Android devices. I loaded 24-bit 48Khz Megadeth, 96Khz and 88.2Khz Dream Theater FLAC songs and it played them fine on my Note II phone, with a decent quality for a phone using Koss PortaPro headphones. (5.1ch FLAC didn't work though, too much to ask I guess  :biggrin: )
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer

If you have a compatible phone/device with the right setup, you might want to give this one a try. I used to use it with my old Galaxy S, but sadly it's not compatible with my new phone. Basically it improves the sound quality dramatically.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.controlappdonate&hl=en

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: September 28, 2013, 11:06:20 AM »
I was able to burn the HD tracks to CD with the help of people here.  I'm pretty bad at this tech stuff.  It sounds much better than the physical CD I received from RoadRunner.  It's a much more crisp sound and I can hear the nuances in the songs.  That's pretty sad that I'm using a burned CD for an album that just came out this week.  A large majority of the music-listening public will experience the muddy version on the CD and never know truly how beautiful this album sounds.  This is a black eye for DT, in my opinion.  I still maintain that they should offer fans a chance to mail back their CDs for an HD version on CD -- similiar to what Cleopatra Records did for the Geoff Tate's F.U. earlier this year.  There's no reason why the best quality possible should not be on the CD.  Whoever is responsible for the lesser-sounding CD in DT camp or Roadrunner camp should be seriously reprimanded, in my opinion.  I would implore DT to never work with that person, or persons, again.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #361 on: September 28, 2013, 11:34:51 AM »
Ya know, there's something genuinely annoying about being asked to preorder a version of an album on a daily basis, and then going ahead and spending money on it, only to have the superior project flung on everyone for an additional $20 on release day. Just sayin'.

That is the version of the album that I would have bought, if, y'know, I didn't already buy it.

You and me both.  But I still might buy these HD tracks, given how much everyone is raving about them.

Offline Rob801

« Reply #362 on: September 29, 2013, 10:06:35 PM »
Seems like I used hours trying different apps (apple) to listen to the HD tracks un coverted (seems like the one coverter that was mentioned earlier was a windows only program...or I just couldn't find the Mac version).

Anyway, first try was VLC of course but that put the tracks out of order alphabetical) and I couldn't find a way to make a play list and it wouldn't go to the next track without me having to select and push play again... Then I tried an app called Player Extreme and that took my entire library and showed it as one long list ( although I think I could narrow it down to artist, I couldn't get it to just show the album) strike two.

After using a bit more time searching for HD audio players (seems like most of the apps I found were geared more towards video with hi def audio) I found one called VM player HD and that allowed me to import the unconverted HD tracks and make a playlist out  of the folder (easily).

So after a weekend of frustration (when I finally got the player problem solved I didn't have time or solitude enough to listen to it the rest of the weekend :() I am finally listening to DT 12 in HD and enjoying the hell. Out of it  :metal :metal

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #363 on: September 30, 2013, 03:35:59 AM »
Seems like I used hours trying different apps (apple) to listen to the HD tracks un coverted (seems like the one coverter that was mentioned earlier was a windows only program...or I just couldn't find the Mac version).
If you're ok with working on the command line, use ffmpeg. It works on pretty much any type of file. There are mac binaries at www.ffmpegmac.net

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #364 on: September 30, 2013, 05:08:12 AM »
Sorry if this had already been asked but is the HD Tracks version different to the DVD audio "disc 2"?  If so, why?
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: September 30, 2013, 05:10:15 AM »
Sorry if this had already been asked but is the HD Tracks version different to the DVD audio "disc 2"?  If so, why?

It uses a different master than the CD/DVD.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TL

« Reply #366 on: September 30, 2013, 08:28:52 AM »
Well, first off, the DVD is a 5.1 mix while the HD Tracks version is stereo (2.0).

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #367 on: September 30, 2013, 08:40:14 AM »
Well, first off, the DVD is a 5.1 mix while the HD Tracks version is stereo (2.0).
The DVD contains both a 5.1 and a stereo mix.

Several other posters in one of the dozen threads about the album, however, have been saying that it's the same master as the CD.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #368 on: September 30, 2013, 11:24:06 AM »

Several other posters in one of the dozen threads about the album, however, have been saying that it's the same master as the CD.
That's not what anyone has said.

The DVD has a 5.1 mix and a stereo mix. The 5.1 mix has a similar DR to the HDTracks and is likely from the same master as the HDTracks while the stereo mix is identical to the CD.

Like I said before, I extracted the 5.1 mix from the DVD and downmixed it to stereo to burn myself a better-sounding CD.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #369 on: September 30, 2013, 09:23:36 PM »

That's not what anyone has said.

The DVD has a 5.1 mix and a stereo mix. The 5.1 mix has a similar DR to the HDTracks and is likely from the same master as the HDTracks while the stereo mix is identical to the CD.

Like I said before, I extracted the 5.1 mix from the DVD and downmixed it to stereo to burn myself a better-sounding CD.
Sorry if my post was unclear, but the bolded part of yours is exactly what I was saying. :P I was not comparing the 5.1 to the CD master at all. I was pretty sure that was what TheMatt was asking, if the stereo mix on the DVD was the same as the CD or not.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #370 on: September 30, 2013, 09:48:51 PM »
Okay, so I got the HD Tracks for the new CD and am trying to figure something out. I opened The Enemy Inside in Audacity and did a plot spectrum analysis.  I'm new to all of this so the answer to my question might be blatantly obvious for some.  Why does the analysis looks just like a regular wave after it passes to 20khz mark?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #371 on: September 30, 2013, 10:01:26 PM »
Is there any frequency activity above 20k Hz? If there is none that would mean they just upsampled a 48k wave.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #372 on: September 30, 2013, 10:06:05 PM »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #373 on: September 30, 2013, 10:09:41 PM »
Hmm. I don't want to start unfounded rumors, but that stuff above 20k looks very unnatural. Like, how I would imagine an upsampling filter artifact to look like.

EDIT: Then again, there still seems to be genuine signal at 25k, which is above what a 48k recording could do. So, most likely this picture just shows how gimmicky 96k waves really are. It's not as if there's any useful signal much higher than 25k anyway. Probably a lot of the recording equipment has a dropoff above 25k anyway.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:14:57 PM by rumborak »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #374 on: September 30, 2013, 10:12:50 PM »
Hmm. I don't want to start unfounded rumors, but that stuff above 20k looks very unnatural. Like, how I would imagine an upsampling filter artifact to look like.

:huh:

what's that?

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #375 on: September 30, 2013, 10:15:03 PM »
I honestly don't see why it should matter. Human ears can't pick up those frequencies anyway. The dynamic range is the real reason to buy the HD tracks.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #376 on: October 01, 2013, 12:37:49 AM »
I honestly don't see why it should matter. Human ears can't pick up those frequencies anyway. The dynamic range is the real reason to buy the HD tracks.
This.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #377 on: October 01, 2013, 01:46:17 AM »

EDIT: Then again, there still seems to be genuine signal at 25k, which is above what a 48k recording could do. So, most likely this picture just shows how gimmicky 96k waves really are. It's not as if there's any useful signal much higher than 25k anyway. Probably a lot of the recording equipment has a dropoff above 25k anyway.

Look at my spectral screenshot a few pages back, which looks more representative. It's nowhere near using the full 96khz, but the recording contains more than a 48khz quality file could contain. I'm not arguing whether it's actually audible to the listener or not (I don't believe it is), but the recording does contain detail that a CD can't fully represent, and it can't hurt to have a more accurate representation of what was recorded.

But as has been said, the biggest gain from these has nothing to do with being "HD", but with the different master, which if you've heard it, is clearly a noticeable improvement.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JLa

« Reply #378 on: October 01, 2013, 03:09:51 AM »
Now, I don't accept piracy. I haven't downloaded music illegally for many, many years. I buy all my records and support the artists. However ... if these HD tracks really are better than those released on the actual CD (= the CD is not as good as it could/should have been), then this might change my attitude slightly for this particular album, if the HD tracks should appear "free" somewhere... I feel ripped off. And yeah, I have bought the CD.

But I won't discuss this any further.

Offline efx

« Reply #379 on: October 01, 2013, 03:17:31 AM »
Now, I don't accept piracy. I haven't downloaded music illegally for many, many years. I buy all my records and support the artists. However ... if these HD tracks really are better than those released on the actual CD (= the CD is not as good as it could/should have been), then this might change my attitude slightly for this particular album, if the HD tracks should appear "free" somewhere... I feel ripped off. And yeah, I have bought the CD.

But I won't discuss this any further.

The issue with that is that even if you feel that DT/RR should have included that version on the reg cd, HDTracks would still lose out on payment for something THEY worked for and provided to us.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #380 on: October 01, 2013, 03:17:40 AM »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #381 on: October 01, 2013, 06:03:31 AM »
I'll ask my friend if he messed with it or converted it to and from a different format.  Would that be a possibility?

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
« Reply #382 on: October 01, 2013, 08:04:54 AM »
Yet another comparison, for those who can't make up their minds whether or not to get the HD tracks version. I don't think that the mix is the problem with the regular version, I think it's the master. From what I've heard so far (the HD Tracks release) Chycki did a good job.

To quote the guy who posted this image on 5/8: "Whoever mastered the CD royally f-ed it up".

I'm not into naming and shaming but that would be Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound, New York. I can't find any info on who mastered the HD Tracks version but I would be surprised if it's the same guy.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #383 on: October 01, 2013, 08:43:40 AM »
The waveform of the HDtracks release looks great, but when you listen to it you notice that the dynamic spikes are caused only by the drums. Guitar, keyboard and bass are still very compressed from the mixing stage and seem to fight each other in a small dynamic range instead of being layered with distinct peaks.
Better than the CD release, no doubt, but still a somewhat flawed mix.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #384 on: October 01, 2013, 08:45:18 AM »
Yet another comparison, for those who can't make up their minds whether or not to get the HD tracks version. I don't think that the mix is the problem with the regular version, I think it's the master. From what I've heard so far (the HD Tracks release) Chycki did a good job.

Totally agreed. Honestly, this might be my favorite mix of any DT album ever. Everything on it is just so crisp sounding, I love it. It's exactly what I was hoping for in terms of the mix, and what I liked about Elements of Persuasion as well. Hopefully Chycki will continue to be the recording engineer on DT's future albums.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"