Author Topic: DT12 available on HD Tracks!  (Read 53457 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT12 available on HD Tracks!
« Reply #245 on: September 26, 2013, 04:38:23 AM »
The CD does sound truly awful. I can't get over it. I spent $15.99 on it, though. I'm just gonna go and spend another $20 on an alternate version.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: September 26, 2013, 06:04:38 AM »
Ok, so I shall buy the HD version, like you all recommend.  I don't understand all the different formats (I'm not good at this stuff).  If I plan to burn a CD using these files to listen to on my car stereo, what format do you guys suggest.  FLAC?
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: September 26, 2013, 06:06:19 AM »
Ok, so I shall buy the HD version, like you all recommend.  I don't understand all the different formats (I'm not good at this stuff).  If I plan to burn a CD using these files to listen to on my car stereo, what format do you guys suggest.  FLAC?

Yeah, download them as FLAC. Then you can burn it straight onto a CD. I guess the other formats work too.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #248 on: September 26, 2013, 06:27:01 AM »
I don't think the CD is that loud. I can listen to it at a pretty high volume without getting fatigue.
Basically this, there has been a huge fuss about this issue, much greater than reasonable IMO. I will just quote myself on this.

I think it's just something that affects everyone in a very different way.

For group A it sounds just fine the way it is on the CD/DVD/Stream and they won't get into the technicalities and won't understand the complaining of group B, while group B is extremely sensitive to the issue and hugely impacted by the mastering decisions and won't understand how group A doesn't seem to hear the difference at all. And a myriad of groups somewhere in between of course.

I'm definitely in group B and I tell you the difference feels unreal to me, it's almost as if I was listening to completely different albums. The thing is group A wouldn't have noticed if the HDtracks master was also the CD master. They would have turned up the volume a bit more just like everyone else and enjoyed the album just the same or maybe even a little more with the better quality working its subconscious ways.

That's why it's sad separate versions even have to exist, because it wouldn't be necessary.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Dorkmaster Flek

« Reply #249 on: September 26, 2013, 06:38:51 AM »
I'm definitely in group B and I tell you the difference feels unreal to me, it's almost as if I was listening to completely different albums. The thing is group A wouldn't have noticed if the HDtracks master was also the CD master. They would have turned up the volume a bit more just like everyone else and enjoyed the album just the same or maybe even a little more with the better quality working its subconscious ways.

That's why it's sad separate versions even have to exist, because it wouldn't be necessary.
I had never heard of HDTracks before now, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that I will be buying all my albums from them in the future, if they are available on there.  I've been listening to a FLAC CD rip up until now, and I can definitely hear a difference between that and the HDTracks FLAC files I just bought last night.

The keys are a little bit more noticeable, although still overall buried too much for my taste, especially compared to ADTOE where they were quite prominent.  I'm disappointed about that, and I hope it reverts for the next album, however the drums definitely sound way better on the HDTracks version.  They sound more up front in the mix overall, and the larger dynamic range makes all the hits come out much clearer.

Overall, it's just more clear in general, with no distortion or clipping in certain parts where there was in the CD mix.  Plus, it's a digital download!  I can actually buy the album and support the band, which I do want to do, and not have a physical disc that I don't want kicking around my house.  Win, win.  :D

I'm disappointed this is even an issue.  Most people are going to listen to the CD, but this is the way it was meant to be heard.  I agree with Nef 100%.  There is simply no reason for there to be two separate mixes.  I thought we were over this whole "loudness war" thing now that people were aware of it, but apparently the record labels are still idiots...

Offline cool34231a

« Reply #250 on: September 26, 2013, 07:18:00 AM »
I think it's just something that affects everyone in a very different way.

Greetings...
Nef

I think it all depends on the equipment people use. When using Logitech H600 USB wireless headset, both CD and HD versions sound almost identical. But when I use Sennheiser HD650 with Sound Blaster ZXR, then the HD version sounds truly amazing, totally different from CD version.

Offline Nefarius

« Reply #251 on: September 26, 2013, 07:27:35 AM »
If CD and HD are the same on low end systems and HD gets better with increased equipment quality, there's still no reason for the inferior master.

It may be loud enough for blasting notebook and phone speakers until the plastic surrounding them begins to vibrate and crackle, but I would very much like to think the average DT fan is not in a target group where this is an important argument.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline darkshade

« Reply #252 on: September 26, 2013, 07:41:11 AM »
I generally use my iPod to listen to music, but will occasionally use CDs when I'm in my living room (no place to hook up iPod there), so is ALAC good to use on iTunes, will it burn to disc, etc? I've never used ALAC but I've used FLAC and converted them to mp3 (don't know how to burn FLAC). If I use FLAC and convert, is there quality loss? Can I do the same with ALAC? I'm confused and don't know which version to download...

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #253 on: September 26, 2013, 07:48:49 AM »
I don't think the CD is that loud. I can listen to it at a pretty high volume without getting fatigue.

Basically this, there has been a huge fuss about this issue, much greater than reasonable IMO. I will just quote myself on this.

Anyway, I still think all this fuss is something really excessive. I'm satisfied with the sound of the CD. Personal opinion. It has its bricks, but it's not something I personally dislike so much. If you want perfection, just get the HD tracks, if you are satisfied with a very good product, you can buy the CD.
I think everyone is just different. I am NOT an audiophile, I can think of only a handful of albums that I tihnk have been ruined by being too loud and overly compressed, and that doesn't include any previous DT album. And I was perfectly with the sound for TEI when that came out, because it fit the song.

But even for me, the full album was tiring to listen to, and I very rarely have that. I'm not finding that with the HD tracks.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cool34231a

« Reply #254 on: September 26, 2013, 07:59:47 AM »
I generally use my iPod to listen to music, but will occasionally use CDs when I'm in my living room (no place to hook up iPod there), so is ALAC good to use on iTunes, will it burn to disc, etc? I've never used ALAC but I've used FLAC and converted them to mp3 (don't know how to burn FLAC). If I use FLAC and convert, is there quality loss? Can I do the same with ALAC? I'm confused and don't know which version to download...

ALAC is Apple format. FLAC is like a world's free lossless compression format (like ZIP). If you want a long term insurance, I'd recommend FLAC. I use dBpoweramp for conversions, but it can also burn CDs. DT FLACs are 24-bit 96KHz, so you'll have to downscale to 16-bit 44KHz (just keep your original FLAC files for archive). It will reduce the quality, but there's no other way around it, because CD spec is 16-bit 44KHz. Unless there's a way to burn 20-bit 44KHz HDCD, but not many players can play that anyway.

btw. ALAC can be converted to any other lossless format such as FLAC, APE, WAV, with no audio quality loss (maybe tags loss for wav).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:22:35 AM by cool34231a »

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: September 26, 2013, 08:02:00 AM »
But downscaling to 16-bit 44KHz would reduce the quality won't it? I was under the impression that if you burn HD tracks to a CD they become the normal CD quality.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #256 on: September 26, 2013, 08:03:04 AM »
So how do you burn FLAC files to a blank CD?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #257 on: September 26, 2013, 08:05:30 AM »
But downscaling to 16-bit 44KHz would reduce the quality won't it? I was under the impression that if you burn HD tracks to a CD they become the normal CD quality.

If you're burning an audio CD, then it would end up normal CD quality, yes.
But the biggest difference with the HDTracks DT12 release is that it uses a different and more dynamic master. You won't lose the benefits of that if you burn it to a regular CD.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #258 on: September 26, 2013, 08:35:45 AM »

The HDTracks release doesn't contain anything that can't fit into 16bit 44,1kHz. It's a better master, but it doesn't go beyond the limits of CD. That would be irrelevant anyway because CD quality already goes beyond the limits of human hearing.

Offline Nefarius

« Reply #259 on: September 26, 2013, 08:42:19 AM »
All formats available on HDtracks are lossless formats. WAV and AIFF data is the raw PCM signal and uses up the most space. FLAC and ALAC compress the data (much like ZIP, RAR, 7Z, etc. but optimized for audio) for reduced file size. You can use tools to convert these formats to and from each other a thousand times and it will not change the content.

So when it comes to quality it doesn't matter which format you choose. The only thing that should affect your decision is what format you'll most likely end up using the most.

AIFF and ALAC are more on the Apple side but are widely supported (especially AIFF). WAV is slightly more on the Windows side but every editor will open it. FLAC is an open source universal solution with slightly better compression (smaller files) than ALAC. ALAC is mostly used with Apple devices but also exists in the rest of the world. FLAC is not supported in iTunes.

AIFF and WAV are raw data and probably better suited for people who tend to modify the material, FLAC and ALAC for people with players that support the formats.

All of them are lossless and most important all of them contain the good stuff in the best possible way so go for it!

Hope that helps.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline cool34231a

« Reply #260 on: September 26, 2013, 08:45:24 AM »
I just listened to "In The Presence Of Enemies Pt. 1" 24-bit 88.2KHz and then downscaled 16-bit 44KHz. I had to really concentrate to hear the difference. I believe the HD version has little bit better separation and tiny bit nicer vocal reverberation, kind of more warmth. Still,  the downscaled version was much better than original CD release. Senh HD650. SB ZXR.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: September 26, 2013, 09:00:45 AM »
ITT The same 4 questions are asked and answered over and over and over and over...  :lol

Offline IslandInTheMaking

• No man is an island....?
« Reply #262 on: September 26, 2013, 09:02:16 AM »
I just thought I'd share a cool site for those who have not already familiar with it.

https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtestsaudiotesttones_index.php

Good variety of tests to test your equipment, listening environment and hearing.. Maybe it'll be helpful in discerning the usefulness of HD audio to you.

Offline soulburner

« Reply #263 on: September 26, 2013, 09:22:42 AM »
I just listened to "In The Presence Of Enemies Pt. 1" 24-bit 88.2KHz and then downscaled 16-bit 44KHz. I had to really concentrate to hear the difference. I believe the HD version has little bit better separation and tiny bit nicer vocal reverberation, kind of more warmth. Still,  the downscaled version was much better than original CD release. Senh HD650. SB ZXR.
I don't think you should be able to hear any difference. What software did you use to downsample?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: September 26, 2013, 09:23:07 AM »
I wish the band or record label would permit fans who purchased the muddy CD version to return it for the HD version on CD -- similar to what Cleopatra Records did for fans who were dissatisfied with Geoff Tate's Queensryche F.U. album mix earlier this year.  Would be a nice thing for them to do.   
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline cool34231a

« Reply #265 on: September 26, 2013, 09:27:55 AM »
I don't think you should be able to hear any difference. What software did you use to downsample?

dBpoweramp

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #266 on: September 26, 2013, 09:31:29 AM »
What if I want the cassette format?  :hat

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: September 26, 2013, 09:32:54 AM »
A couple months ago, I saw some hipster band selling their EP at some local shop in cassette format. Apparently vinyls are too mainstream now.  :facepalm:

Offline soulburner

« Reply #268 on: September 26, 2013, 09:48:39 AM »
Do you see a dithering option in dBpoweramp anywhere? If not, and if I recall correctly, you can add dithering in DSP Effects.

edit - Audacity and sox use dithering by default, by the way.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #269 on: September 26, 2013, 10:01:58 AM »
Ya know, there's something genuinely annoying about being asked to preorder a version of an album on a daily basis, and then going ahead and spending money on it, only to have the superior project flung on everyone for an additional $20 on release day. Just sayin'.

That is the version of the album that I would have bought, if, y'know, I didn't already buy it.

My thoughts exactly.

Offline cool34231a

« Reply #270 on: September 26, 2013, 10:04:38 AM »
Do you see a dithering option in dBpoweramp anywhere? If not, and if I recall correctly, you can add dithering in DSP Effects.

edit - Audacity and sox use dithering by default, by the way.

I tried downsampling with Audacity. I think there's still a tiny difference. But it's so hard to tell, that I'm not even absolutely sure without additional confirmations.

Offline cool34231a

« Reply #271 on: September 26, 2013, 10:06:19 AM »
does anyone know if the 2 channel version on the 5.1 DVD is 96/24??

Yes, the DVD-Audio contains two MLP titles. 5.1 24-bit 96KHz, and 2.0 24-bit 96KHz. But 2.0 has a huge dynamic range compression.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: September 26, 2013, 10:16:48 AM »

Someone mentioned some free software that does, I can't find the post.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: September 26, 2013, 10:19:56 AM »

I use Nero Express for all my burning.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cool34231a

« Reply #274 on: September 26, 2013, 10:20:15 AM »

CDBurnerXP  :metal, don't know how good the resampling is, but maybe somebody can verify that.
https://cdburnerxp.se/en/features

If you do installed it, choose custom, and uncheck/disagree for advertisement addons.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #275 on: September 26, 2013, 10:22:21 AM »

The HDTracks files need to be downsampled first.

Download SoX from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sox/
and run this command line: sox.exe "input file.flac" -b 16 "output file.wav" gain -1 rate 44100 dither -s

It will give you wav files that are Audio CD compatible and sound just like the original flac files.

Offline cool34231a

« Reply #276 on: September 26, 2013, 10:38:57 AM »
There's a bar code on the last page of the Deluxe cover with cool content.
www.weate.ch/dreamtheater/app
funny how the link changes to https://www.dreamtheater.net/qr right away  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:32:12 AM by cool34231a »

Offline gustkiller

« Reply #277 on: September 26, 2013, 11:18:23 AM »
Did you saw the 15% discount cupom for Dream Theater HDTracks?

Code is " dream15"
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:23:34 AM by gustkiller »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: September 26, 2013, 11:27:21 AM »
Too bad I already bought it all yesterday...

Offline metropofreak

• I like turtles
« Reply #279 on: September 26, 2013, 11:29:41 AM »
Has anyone in the UK managed to get this? I can't pay with paypal and it keeps telling me its not yet available for download in my territory!  >:(