Author Topic: IS "Greatest Hit [...and 21 other pretty cool songs]" worth buying?  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Driver712

Hello everyone. I just want to know if Greatest Hit [...and 21 other pretty cool songs] is worth buying. I own only all DT studio albums (for now, I want have also all their live albums). But this compilation? I think this is good compilation but it costs 16 euros in my country. What do you think? Is it worth? I am asking because I want to hear other opinions.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: IS "Greatest Hit [...and 21 other pretty cool songs]" worth buying?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 12:19:48 PM »
Well you've got-

Remixed IaW tracks - they're an interesting curiosity, but the originals are better imo, so they're not worth it alone, unless you happen to really hate the production on Images and Words.
Through Her Eyes alternate mix - again, more of a curiosity that imo isn't as good as what's on the album, and if you want this, you'd be better off finding a copy of The Making of Scenes From a Memory that it's taken from, with the complete alternate mix of the album.
To Live Forever - If you like the song and don't have it elsewhere, here's a good studio version.
The Root of All Evil and Sacrificed Sons have shorter intros. I wouldn't really consider that a selling feature.
And various single edits, that are just less effective versions of what's on the studio albums.

Personally, I'd only consider this for new fans (and even then I think there are better ways to introduce people to the band), or completionists who have to have everything.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 12:33:40 PM »
It's not worth it. The only interesting part would be the I&W remixes, but they're bad, the keyboards are buried and the triggered snare and kick sounds were replaced by weak sounding samples.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 12:38:31 PM »
No.

The I&W remixes are a travesty, and most of the radio edits are train wrecks.

The only one I liked better was I Walk Beside You, cause the beginning was clean and didn't have those ticking clocks.  That was worth spending $1.29 on at iTunes.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 01:49:46 PM »
Buy it to be entertained by a totally-out-of-place sounding snare.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline 425

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 01:54:44 PM »
It is the easiest way to get a studio version of To Live Forever. If you want that song and you think it's worth the money, go for it. I did for pretty much that purpose.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 02:12:17 PM »
If you're a curious completionist like myself, then yes. It's the only place you can hear the I&W remixes and it conveniently collects all the single edits on one album. Also, the artwork.  :laugh:

MP's liner notes are pretty insightful too.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 07:59:24 PM »
If you can justify it for pretty much all the reasons covered by everyone so far.

I got it somewhere between my 3rd 5th DT album so it was worthwhile to get a double album of songs that I hadn't necessarily heard yet. But if you're quite familiar with their albums then there won't be too much to go crazy over, but it seems MP did put special care into making this compilation as less generic as possible. As demonstrated by the alternate tracks and extra information in the liner notes.

All in all, it's nifty, but don't expect anything super extra specially unique.  ;)

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 08:06:27 PM »
I think you should make that decision yourself, but since you want opinions:

Like most of the "Greatest Hits" albums, I don't think it is worth buying unless you are a collector/die-hard fan. 16 euros is a rip-off.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 06:06:48 AM »
I think it is good for completists or for casual fans.  You know, the same audience for every other Greatest Hits package ever produced.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 06:34:47 AM »
I think the tracklist really lets it down.  The extras aren't really worth it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline theaterdream

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 06:47:38 AM »
I liked the shortened versions of Misunderstood and Home better on this album rather than their respective albums.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 02:16:35 PM »
If I were you, I'd spend those 16€ on something else. The remixes and edits aren't that special, and you can probably buy TLF digitally as a standalone track.