Author Topic: Behind the Veil  (Read 24835 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Behind the Veil
« on: September 24, 2013, 07:48:18 AM »
Listening to this, is struck me: were the lyrics to this song inspired by the Cleveland kidnapper of those three young girls?  It sure sounds like it.  But does the timeline match it, as far as when the lyrics were written? The Cleveland story broke in May.

Anyway, I am a big fan of this song, regardless of who or what inspired the lyrics.  It kind of has that classic DT vibe going on at times, while still having a fresh and new sound. :metal

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Behind the Veil
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 07:49:35 AM »
I like this song a lot, one of my very favourites on the album. I especially love the strong and catchy chorus.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 07:59:09 AM »
I think JP mentioned the subject was kidnapping, but nothing specific. Great song btw :metal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 08:07:50 AM »
Listening to this, is struck me: were the lyrics to this song inspired by the Cleveland kidnapper of those three young girls?  It sure sounds like it.  But does the timeline match it, as far as when the lyrics were written? The Cleveland story broke in May.

Anyway, I am a big fan of this song, regardless of who or what inspired the lyrics.  It kind of has that classic DT vibe going on at times, while still having a fresh and new sound. :metal

I was just checking out the lyrics now. It seems too general to be referring to anything specific but that doesn't mean the Cleveland incident wasn't some sort of inspiration. It's the same as Along For The Ride.  JP said he wrote that song after hearing about the Boston Marathon bombings. The lyrics don't specifically refer to them but the inspiration is there.  :smiley:

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 08:19:52 AM »

I actually remember JP said that on some interview. Might be wrong though.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 08:20:23 AM »
Both BTV and AFTR have some of the finest lyrics of the entire album IMO :tup

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 08:37:44 AM »
My favorite song on the album, too bad only this one and TBP make me go :hefdaddy

Offline emtee

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 12:24:28 PM »
LOVE this song! First few notes I'm taken back to being at a Yes show opening with Firebird Suite and then the atmosphere section
lulls you until the riff comes along and smacks you upside the head. 2nd favorite song behind IT.

Offline JRuless

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 12:49:07 PM »

I actually remember JP said that on some interview. Might be wrong though.

in the dutch metal magazine 'Aardschok' JP explains the song texts and refers to the Cleveland kidnapper when explaining BTV.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 12:54:14 PM »
I like this song a lot, one of my very favourites on the album. I especially love the strong and catchy chorus.

This. My early favourite thanks to the huge chorus.

Offline N4Player

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 10:08:32 PM »
This song is total joy to my ears. An instant classic. If the rest of the album had this song structure and focus, DT 12 would be my favourite album. I seriously cannot get enough of this song. The intro and when the band kicks in chills my spine. I love the breakdown in the prechorus and the way JLB sounds. It just gets better with every passing second and JP's solo is spectacular. I can't describe accurately in words how much I love this tune. Hands down my highlight of the album. Perfect in every way.

Offline adastra

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 10:51:51 PM »
Great song!  I luv the chorus and overall feeling of the song. I would change anything
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 07:51:45 AM »
Love this song! Great main heavy riff and a great hook!  JP's solo is really nice and MM sounds really good on this track as well.

:tup

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 09:33:09 AM »
I love the vocals when jlb sings "hour"
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline j

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 09:44:46 AM »
I'm particularly fond of the intro and solo section.  At this point, I'm thinking TBP -> BTV -> STR is the best run on the album.

-J

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 09:52:04 AM »

I do too!!!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 12:52:30 PM »
OK, the box set is released with the stems on it.  Get remixing!  :metal
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 01:09:35 PM »
The chorus reminds me of Outcry.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 01:26:09 PM »
The chorus reminds me of Outcry.

Rise up be counted, look behind the veil :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 01:31:40 PM »

I read this before actually listening to the song(album), and you're right. Fits the lyrics perfectly.

On another note, I love that intro.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 08:19:22 PM »
Can someone please tell me what time sig the first verse is in...I'm too stoned to count out that isht right now.

Also - great tune. Bit of a Rush meets Megadave vibe. A top 2 or 3 song for me, and probs #1 vocally.

Offline Jay.Ess

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 08:31:33 PM »

Can someone please tell me what time sig the first verse is in...I'm too stoned to count out that isht right now.

3 bars of 4/4 then one bar of 7/8 cycled three times, then just 4 bars of 4/4 into the pre chorus.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 08:46:44 PM »
That odd #'d eighth note keeps tripping me. Half wondered if it was an odd #'d bar of 16th notes. Now i just feel dumb.
Anyways, thanx.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:56:53 PM by pain of occupation »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 12:34:22 AM »
I quite like this song, it's just the pre-chorus and chorus stopping me from really loving it.
I love the intro, the heavy riffing, JLB during those verses, and the instrumental section (dat solo), but I don't like the pre-chorus and chorus as much.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 05:50:10 AM »
This song is growing on me more and more.  I still can't get past that "Creeping Death" guitar intro part though.  Knowing what the lyrics are about makes the song more powerful in my opinion.  I love how the mood of the chorus changes when it's coming from the voice of the victim as opposed to the cruel sounding verse describing the kidnapper.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 06:45:24 AM by Prog Snob »

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 06:38:44 AM »
Every time this song starts I hear a voice in my head saying "A gallop snapshot poll taken immediately after President Bush's speach..."  :)

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 06:48:08 AM »
I still can't get past that "Creeping Death" guitar intro part though.

I don't see any similarity to Creeping Death there :huh:

Every time this song starts I hear a voice in my head saying "A gallop snapshot poll taken immediately after President Bush's speach..."  :)

Same here :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 06:53:42 AM »
This song I'd say is my fav on the album.  The chorus is massive, the riffs are insane and JP's solo could be the best guitar solo he's ever done IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 07:27:32 AM »
That odd #'d eighth note keeps tripping me. Half wondered if it was an odd #'d bar of 16th notes. Now i just feel dumb.
Anyways, thanx.

Is it weird that I kept reading "#'d" as "sharped"? Then in context, it didn't make sense... "odd sharped eighth note"...wait...what? Then I realized you probably meant "numbered", but the musician in me read the symbol as a sharp  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 07:39:35 AM »

Really?  I thought it was blatantly obvious that there were similarities. 

Is it just me or is there no one else who hears the similarities?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 07:42:12 AM »

Really?  I thought it was blatantly obvious that there were similarities. 

Is it just me or is there no one else who hears the similarities?

Yeah, I guess I can see how you would think that actually.  It never sprung to my mind, and I don't think it's really similar at all, just a similar feel in the riff.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline adamack

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 08:58:28 AM »
I could be wrong, but the lyrics seem to fit a lot more with the Elizabeth Smart kidnapping story. The veil that her kidnapper put on her was a pretty big deal in the case. Check out this article:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1328204/Elizabeth-Smart-kidnapper-refused-let-detective-veil.html

and also:

https://righttruth.typepad.com/right_truth/2010/11/elizabeth-smart-the-veil-and-religion.html

I think that Amanda Berry and the other 2 girls in the Cleveland kidnapping case also wore veils sometimes when Ariel Castro let them outside (on only a few occasions), so the lyrics can definitely be generalized to cover both cases, or perhaps even any kidnapping case involving a veil.

But Elizabeth Smart's veil in particular garnered a lot of media attention and articles, so I really think this case may account for the bulk of the chorus lyrics. Again, I could be totally wrong, just wanted to throw this out there.

Awesome song by the way!! Currently tied with Surrender To Reason for my favorite on the album. In fact, I prob like BTV the slightest bit more. Screw it, fav. song on the album.  :metal

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 09:08:33 AM by adamack »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 11:31:23 AM »
I love the way he sings 'hour'
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 11:35:34 AM »

I love the way he sings 'hour'

Are you gonna tell us that every hour (or two)?  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 11:50:19 AM »
One of my favorites on the album. Great chorus.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!