Author Topic: Illumination Theory... (let's call it appreciation thread)  (Read 98221 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Illumination Theory... (let's call it appreciation thread)
« Reply #350 on: October 30, 2013, 01:14:36 PM »
Let me guess the time stamp...3:30 - 6:55? That's some dangerous driving music right there!

Spot on!  :biggrin:

And I love this part: "The bridges we build to connect, the distance that makes us forget (...)"
And the piano part at 4:38, sigh.

Yea, those unexpected rhythms and vocals make it really memorable. Good call!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Xersiz

« Reply #351 on: October 30, 2013, 01:25:18 PM »
Seriously,Am I the only one thinks that surrender,trust & passion is one of the most emotional and uplifting moments in DT history,I mean everybody seems to hate it

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #352 on: October 30, 2013, 02:11:51 PM »
Let me guess the time stamp...3:30 - 6:55? That's some dangerous driving music right there!

Spot on!  :biggrin:

And I love this part: "The bridges we build to connect, the distance that makes us forget (...)"
And the piano part at 4:38, sigh.

Yea, those unexpected rhythms and vocals make it really memorable. Good call!

My favorite part of the song, by far.  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: October 30, 2013, 02:46:13 PM »
It was only the 4th album in the "meta-album" progression, but that would have been convenient. :lol
I think I really need to start a thread for my analysis of that song. The deeper I look into it, the more I like it.

Oooh yeah . I meant it was the final album which began with their 5th album and ended with Octavarium ( the 8th ).

:)

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #354 on: October 31, 2013, 03:35:56 AM »
Seriously,Am I the only one thinks that surrender,trust & passion is one of the most emotional and uplifting moments in DT history,I mean everybody seems to hate it

I'm with you.

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #355 on: October 31, 2013, 06:21:13 AM »

Not at all, I absolutely adore it.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #356 on: October 31, 2013, 08:02:46 AM »
It's a wonderful part. Hopefully many, like me, who loved that part to bits have stayed silent about it so far for whatever reason.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #357 on: November 01, 2013, 05:00:43 AM »
Best ending in years, Imo.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: November 01, 2013, 06:08:14 AM »

Who hates it?

It could be DT's best moment.  Definitely one of James best vocal moments.  I listened to it again and it still gives me goosebumps.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #359 on: November 12, 2013, 10:50:34 PM »
Have we confirmed through speculation (lol) that the elongated section of sound effects was purely written into the song to give enough time for the guest musicians to set up the strings in a live setting?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #360 on: November 12, 2013, 11:19:38 PM »
Have we confirmed through speculation (lol) that the elongated section of sound effects was purely written into the song to give enough time for the guest musicians to set up the strings in a live setting?

No, but that's a great (illumination) theory!
I'm not sure that's really something they're considering while writing a song, but either way it would work well for that.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #361 on: November 13, 2013, 02:04:50 AM »
I like IT. Furthermore, I think it's the best song of DT12. However, it's overly long for the real content it has. The outro, could easily be another song called "Jordan Rudess Outro for Concert endings". The ambiance part is another waste of time, it reprises Tuscany's idea, the orchestra is a nice touch but yet again I'm feel trapped in the idea of  Six Degrees of Classical Music.

Unfortunately, in addition, due to the fact Mangini drum mix come from the 80's I believe that without a decent live version of IT, I'll lose my interest of coming back in the long run.

Octavarium, ACOS and TCOT are probably better.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #362 on: November 13, 2013, 02:52:37 AM »

I'm not sure that's really something they're considering while writing a song, but either way it would work well for that.

Haha, nicely done, you.  The sound effects are purely atmospheric and don't add anything musical to the piece, so they were certainly deliberating something when they made that section 2 minutes long.  Overkill?  Ten seconds would have sufficed as a meditative intro to the string section, so I can only assume they structured the song purposely to work with a live stage change.

I doubt the were trying to increase the song's length to keep up with their other epics.

Of course, the obvious argument against this line of thinking is to say "wouldn't they have enough time in during the intermission to set up the string section." So, I dunno, but I would expect something interesting when we reach this part of the song live.

Offline The Stray Seed

« Reply #363 on: November 13, 2013, 05:02:16 AM »

Haha, nicely done, you.  The sound effects are purely atmospheric and don't add anything musical to the piece, so they were certainly deliberating something when they made that section 2 minutes long.  Overkill?  Ten seconds would have sufficed as a meditative intro to the string section, so I can only assume they structured the song purposely to work with a live stage change.

I doubt the were trying to increase the song's length to keep up with their other epics.

Of course, the obvious argument against this line of thinking is to say "wouldn't they have enough time in during the intermission to set up the string section." So, I dunno, but I would expect something interesting when we reach this part of the song live.

It is an interesting theory indeed, but I strongly disagree on the fact that 10 seconds would have been enough as a meditative intro. I really like it the way it is, it gives me time to think and soak into the atmosphere. Maybe I'm just slow =D

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #364 on: November 13, 2013, 05:16:42 AM »
I just don't see thepoint in saying if IT or 8vm is better. While long in structure, they are vastly different and emote completely different feelings. Both are pinnacle pieces.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #365 on: November 13, 2013, 07:06:17 AM »

That really is an interesting thought, one that hadn't occurred to me. I believe during one of the recent live YouTube chats (can't remember which one) the DT boys were asked about how they planned to handle the string section when playing it live and they basically avoided answering the question saying they wanted to leave some things a surprise for the fans.  So, maybe they are cooking something up!

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #366 on: December 05, 2013, 07:25:22 AM »
The guitar rhythm in Live, Die, Kill really reminds me of Burning My Soul.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #367 on: December 05, 2013, 10:14:04 AM »
I had tears in my eyes, but wasn't crying yet. With this song, at the 2nd listen though :P In the first listen I heard it with my girlfriend and we both tried to figure out what's going on with the song and we talked all the way through it (and the album), so it was kinda hard to get in the mood. It really, really moved me in the 2nd listen, with my earphones and all.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #368 on: December 05, 2013, 11:26:13 AM »

It is an interesting theory indeed, but I strongly disagree on the fact that 10 seconds would have been enough as a meditative intro. I really like it the way it is, it gives me time to think and soak into the atmosphere. Maybe I'm just slow =D

Also, why would it matter how long they made it on the album? They can make it go on for as long as they want when they perform it live.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #369 on: December 06, 2013, 10:51:38 PM »
Taking another spin with this track.  The more I've listened to it, the better it sounds, especially around 8:40 when the strings come into play and the transition from that into The Pursuit Of Truth was very good. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #370 on: December 09, 2013, 03:20:02 PM »
They sure do know how to end a song. I'll give 'em that. Overall I think it's bloated and wank-heavy, but the string section part isn't bad and everything from Didacts and Narpets on is golden, and I particularly like the "Growth"-style outro.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #371 on: December 09, 2013, 06:59:56 PM »
They sure do know how to end a song. I'll give 'em that. Overall I think it's bloated and wank-heavy, but the string section part isn't bad and everything from Didacts and Narpets on is golden, and I particularly like the "Growth"-style outro.

I think you meant to click the Fountain of Lamneth appreciation thread  :P
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #372 on: December 09, 2013, 07:41:07 PM »

I think you meant to click the Fountain of Lamneth appreciation thread  :P
Oh, actually I was looking for the Women and Children first thread; my bad.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #373 on: December 09, 2013, 07:45:47 PM »
Sail away with Neil Peart...........
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #374 on: December 09, 2013, 10:53:06 PM »
Damn this 15 year old kid did pretty damn good! Small mistakes here and there, but really that was pretty awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjlK5QzgawU

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #375 on: December 09, 2013, 11:06:45 PM »
Damn this 15 year old kid did pretty damn good! Small mistakes here and there, but really that was pretty awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjlK5QzgawU

Oh yeah I love that cover
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #376 on: December 12, 2013, 08:28:59 AM »
That piano with the heavy riff at about 4:30-5:00 is just heavenly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Stray Seed

« Reply #377 on: December 28, 2013, 04:22:19 PM »
I am listening to this song now, and I just can't express how much I am moved by the music and the words. I loved it from the first spin, and for this reason I couldn't predict it was going to grow on me so much as it did.

Some weeks ago a friend of mine asked me if I had some music to suggest, and I found out he didn't know about DT. I told him to listen to Illumination Theory. He called me the following day and kept me at the phone about an hour talking about the song. He was just blown away. Now I've decided that IT will be for me the new track to use to introduce new folks to DT. And it's the first time that I choose a song that is not from the 90s.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #378 on: December 28, 2013, 06:02:31 PM »
One of my absolute favorite DT songs.  Virtually perfect.  Every part is special in some way.  The last section is just so epic and beautiful and uplifting and emotional.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #379 on: December 29, 2013, 03:10:37 AM »
One of my absolute favorite DT songs.  Virtually perfect.  Every part is special in some way.  The last section is just so epic and beautiful and uplifting and emotional.

So, the ratings in your signature are related to the corresponding songs of DT12? Or do you happen to rate your ex girlfriends the same way I rate those songs? :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #380 on: December 29, 2013, 05:17:41 AM »
absolutely love this song now. Tough to pick out a fav part - maybe from 6.00 to 7.00. That might be one of my fav DT sections ever.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #381 on: December 29, 2013, 09:31:11 PM »
This song has certainly grown on me, but it's still toward the bottom of 14+ minute songs for me.
In particular, I enjoy Live, Die Kill. I like the odd rhythms in the bridges section, and the fact that the organ patch reminds me of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. The Rudess solo afterward reminds me of a fast-paced drunk playing a medieval theme. This sounds like harsh bashing, but I totally dig the solo.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #382 on: December 29, 2013, 10:01:47 PM »
So, the ratings in your signature are related to the corresponding songs of DT12? Or do you happen to rate your ex girlfriends the same way I rate those songs? :D

Yes.

the organ patch reminds me of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

Yes!
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: December 30, 2013, 09:11:43 PM »
I've been REALLY trying to digest this song and come to love it.  It's just not happening though.  I like it,  but it doesn't grab hold of me like ACOS or some of the other epics do.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: January 03, 2014, 04:35:42 AM »
This song could be my new fav DT song, it could possibly be the best thing they have ever done.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.