Author Topic: Illumination Theory... (let's call it appreciation thread)  (Read 98330 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Illumination Theory... (let's call it appreciation thread)
« Reply #210 on: October 06, 2013, 04:20:34 AM »
Is the love for the orchestra section unanimous? Because -as much as I would like to love it- it just feels a tad cheesy, at least at this point. It reminded me of some Disney movies of my childhood, not an association I'm keen to have with DT.
It's pretty cinematic, but not Disney at all IMO. The most Disney thing that DT has written is the overture to Six Degrees.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #211 on: October 06, 2013, 04:38:31 AM »
Is the love for the orchestra section unanimous? Because -as much as I would like to love it- it just feels a tad cheesy, at least at this point. It reminded me of some Disney movies of my childhood, not an association I'm keen to have with DT.

I'd expect something Disney to sound more simply positive and happy, while IT's orchestral section feels much more mature and complex in the emotion it's getting across to me.
It doesn't remind me of Disney, it actually reminds me of older movies, like Vertigo or something.
Disney movies in the '90s could get pretty grim and serious (or maybe it was always like that: https://youtu.be/NhQtW28StKQ?t=11m58s). Anyway, the first time I listened to it, I got a flashback of a 101 Dalmatians, which, coincidentally, was made within three years of Vertigo. :justjen The impression only got stronger later on, especially concerning part 9:32-10:15 (just can't stand that kitschy melody @ 9:43-9:53). Anyway, I hope it'll grow on me, because the song itself is a huge favorite.

It's pretty cinematic, but not Disney at all IMO. The most Disney thing that DT has written is the overture to Six Degrees.
I'm not trying to argue that it's Disney, I haven't even heard those songs for over a decade. It's just the impression that emerged from the stream of my unconsciousness. :lol Anyway, it's the type of epic, over the top, cinematic melody that verges on pretentious and I have a hard time incorporating it into the rest of the song, as of right now.  :(

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #212 on: October 06, 2013, 04:58:54 AM »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #213 on: October 06, 2013, 05:05:14 AM »
Anyway, it's the type of epic, over the top, cinematic melody
??? It's a very simple melody, nothing over the top that I can see.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #214 on: October 06, 2013, 05:23:30 AM »
I find the overall sound of said parts a bit too epic and grandiose, hence "over the top". Anyway, I don't want to get into semantics, obviously this is just my personal point of view. I don't mean to bash on the song, I'm biased towards it and I liked the idea of a slow, simple orchestra section in the middle (Close to the Edge popped in when I first read about it in the reviews), but I don't believe in euphemisms and this is the way I wanted to voice my opinion, just out of sheer curiosity to see whether or not anyone agrees. Opinions are usually highly mixed on DTF and seemed uncanny that everyone thought the orchestra section was so perfect. I'm really looking forward to joining that group soon enough.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: October 06, 2013, 05:28:29 AM »
I don't hear anything over the top or cheesy with that section, I think it fits and it's great just the way it is.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #216 on: October 06, 2013, 06:10:01 AM »
great song, one of their best in years. And some younger fans appreciates it too  ;)  :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjlK5QzgawU  :metal
Holy shit, this is amazing. Mangini needs to see this.  :metal

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #217 on: October 06, 2013, 07:07:51 AM »

I actually think 'The Best of Times' is pretty Disney sounding. When my wife first heard that song she was like "That's cute, sounds like it's out of Aladdin.. ;D"

The orchestra section in IT is just gorgeous though, don't get Disney at all with it...

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #218 on: October 06, 2013, 07:30:26 AM »
I love the orchestra section of the song, but not the part before it.  When I first heard it, I was a bit reminded of the end of COT with the nature sounds and it worked to end COT, but not IT.  A killer drum solo /bass solo would have been great in its place. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #219 on: October 06, 2013, 09:02:05 AM »
I really wish I enjoyed the song as much as most of you. I just really can't get into that ending. The cheesy, preachy lyrics, followed by the whaling vocals, followed by what is possibly the most meandering and uninspired lead Petrucci has ever done.

And Mangini doing the single hand snare roll at the end just so he can hit the gong is just stupid. That's something appropriate for a drum solo, not in a song.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #220 on: October 06, 2013, 09:15:34 AM »
And Mangini doing the single hand snare roll at the end just so he can hit the gong is just stupid.

Are you complaining of something that's barely noticeable and that hardly makes a difference in the song?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #221 on: October 06, 2013, 09:48:26 AM »
And Mangini doing the single hand snare roll at the end just so he can hit the gong is just stupid.

Are you complaining of something that's barely noticeable and that hardly makes a difference in the song?

I believe he is jealous that Mangini can do something he can't do

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #222 on: October 06, 2013, 09:55:27 AM »

And Mangini doing the single hand snare roll at the end just so he can hit the gong is just stupid. That's something appropriate for a drum solo, not in a song.

You cannot be serious.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #223 on: October 06, 2013, 07:17:09 PM »
great song, one of their best in years. And some younger fans appreciates it too  ;)  :o

That kit sounds beautiful. I would have loved for the drums to sound like that on the album
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: October 06, 2013, 07:54:50 PM »
The first part of the orchestra is completely unfitting to the song. Sounds like a classical piece from the baroque era of music. Not a big fan.

Baroque era? I'm not sure that's quite accurate. Sounds pretty romantic to me. Many have called the Tchaikovsky influences too.

Offline adastra

« Reply #225 on: October 06, 2013, 10:51:16 PM »
Last night I was driving my Mercedes and decided to listen through Illumination Theory.
I have to say that this song has propably the best JLB since Awake.. He sounds so amazing x___x 
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #226 on: October 06, 2013, 10:53:04 PM »

Unreal, isn't it... Welcome to the wacky world of DT fans!  ;D

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #227 on: October 07, 2013, 12:39:31 AM »
The first part of the orchestra is completely unfitting to the song. Sounds like a classical piece from the baroque era of music. Not a big fan.

Baroque era? I'm not sure that's quite accurate. Sounds pretty romantic to me. Many have called the Tchaikovsky influences too.
Bang on, it sounds absolutely nothing like baroque music. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #228 on: October 07, 2013, 10:08:36 AM »
Has anyone else noticed a few seconds in IT from about 2:55-3:02, it sounds like a real tip of the hat to the Crimson Sunrise in ACOS? Not sure if it's on purpose, but well cool nonetheless...

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #229 on: October 07, 2013, 11:24:52 AM »

You cannot be serious.

I'm completely serious. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: October 07, 2013, 11:28:31 AM »
Well - he didn't need to do it one handed as it sounds slightly sloppy. They could have overdubbed one gong hit.

I do like how JP's solo screams into view at about 14:35. It's like he kicks the channel on and it announces itself :lol

STFU Jordan - it's my time to shine.. Warrrggghhhh !!!!  :metal

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #231 on: October 07, 2013, 12:29:40 PM »
So i've come to appreciate this song much more after repeated listens, but i don't really like JLB's singing at the part "You'll never know the joy of life", it sounds strained and is way to much for me, but overall it's a good song.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: October 07, 2013, 12:51:15 PM »

Bang on, it sounds absolutely nothing like baroque music. :lol

Yeah! The baroque section is at 6:00, not the string section. :lol

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #233 on: October 07, 2013, 01:03:21 PM »

:omg: :hefdaddy
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #234 on: October 07, 2013, 01:20:59 PM »
So i've come to appreciate this song much more after repeated listens, but i don't really like JLB's singing at the part "You'll never know the joy of life", it sounds strained and is way to much for me, but overall it's a good song.

I thought he said "you'll never know that your alive"

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: October 07, 2013, 01:43:03 PM »

Mesmerizing stuff.  Wow.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #236 on: October 07, 2013, 02:02:20 PM »
The second time I've heard it, I had so many shivers down my spine during the "To really feel the joy in life" section onwards. I kinda had tears in my eyes, but didn't actually cry, though the chills came over and over again for at least another 10 times.

This album has at least 3 songs I can officially consider some of DT's best work to date (The Looking Glass, The Bigger Picture, Illumination Theory). The entire album is definitely in the better half of my top DT albums list, still not sure where I'd put it, but it's an amazing album really.

Offline minstrel

« Reply #237 on: October 07, 2013, 02:04:30 PM »
Am I the only one who hears Jordan's nod to Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No 1 in the Illumination Theory's main theme (00:05, 10:18 etc.)? If you don't know what I'm talking about, listen to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItSJ_woWnmk, the theme shows up right in the beginning after the first piano chords.

And BTW, Martha Argerich is amazing, well worth listening to the whole thing in its own right. Tchaikovsky certainly knew how to write epics.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: October 07, 2013, 02:06:24 PM »
 :facepalm: That has been discussed TO DEATH all over this forum. You're not the only one ! :lol :P

Offline minstrel

« Reply #239 on: October 07, 2013, 02:07:23 PM »
oops, sorry :-)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: October 07, 2013, 02:11:54 PM »

Haha. I *started* when I was 15 !!!

20 years later and he's already better than I ever was ! :P

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #241 on: October 07, 2013, 02:22:42 PM »

I thought he said "you'll never know that your alive"

Yeah i mean this whole section, i just gave the lyrics as a time reference. I think it is the worse JLB part on all of the album actually.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: October 07, 2013, 02:55:03 PM »

I had no idea the drum part was this awesome. Too bad I have such trouble hearing it on the album.  :-\

Offline Benedettosoxfan

« Reply #243 on: October 07, 2013, 03:29:24 PM »
Anyone else HAVE to sing along with the echoing background vocals in the final section? Whenever I listen to it I just can't help singing along. It makes the whole finale feel so much more powerful.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #244 on: October 07, 2013, 07:05:39 PM »
Guys, was the middle section ripped off? I've heard a YT link to some classical song that sounded just like the intro to IT, but is all of the middle orchestral section ripped off as well? Near the end of the orchestral section, it reprises the intro melody, but there are some really pretty parts of the orchestral section that don't sound ripped off.