Author Topic: Is Octavarium their best production-wise?  (Read 2372 times)

Offline YngVai

Is Octavarium their best production-wise?
« on: November 12, 2023, 12:21:00 AM »
I think Octavarium is such a gorgeous sounding album.

This record was my first true introduction to the band. As I started going down the DT rabbit-hole, I was initially surprised that it seemed to be considered a bit of a disappointment at the time. As I worked my way through their discography I began to understand the criticism as compared to their previous efforts.

That being said, I still find myself coming back to it not sheerly for nostalgia's sake, but also because I think it sounds so fucking good. There's so much more blasé filler-quality writing on this album than, say, most of what came before it and (IMO) the last two albums, but the vibe/mix/orchestration does so much more to compensate for the weaker elements of this album than on anything after.

Again, maybe I was able to listen to it with a more open mind without any pre-conceptions than the few that followed, but this damn this one goes down smooth.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: Is Octavarium their best production-wise?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 01:40:15 AM »
Second best production-wise to my ears, first place belonging to Falling into Infinity.

I have to add Images and Words, with its often questioned production choices (half of them a product of their era), has such an unforgettable powerful aural character and it's gotta be up there.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 04:30:53 AM »
I think it's one of the good ones, it does sound a bit more organic and live. Definitely a good production for the music that is portrayed in this album.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 04:52:05 AM »
No
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 07:31:15 AM »
I don't think it's bad production, per se, but not one of the best IMO.

For me, Falling Into Infinity has their best production, followed by Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, and then Awake.  Also, an honorable mention for The Astonishing.  The acoustic instruments on there (guitar, piano, strings) sound so lush.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2023, 07:36:03 AM »
No.

I would say it is middle of the pack.  I like how bright it sounds, but it does sounds a little dry at times (like when it really rocks). 

I feel the five best produced albums are Awake, I&W (even with triggered snare), Six Degrees, Scenes from a Memory (despite the occasional moment that feels a bit off in the production) and A View from the Top of the World.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2023, 05:08:41 PM »
Not really. Some guitar solos (Panic Attack and especially TROA) are really buried in the mix. I also agree with Kev, it's a bit dry when it gets heavier.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2023, 05:31:18 PM »
I'd probably rate, I&W, Awake and FII ahead of it.  I have no issues with the production but I never thought of it as one of the best sounding DT albums.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline HOF

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2023, 07:43:40 PM »
I am not a big fan of the songs on Octavarium, but I do think it sounds pretty good overall. You can sort of tell it was mixed by the guy who did Coldplay though (which might account for the dryness of the sound).

Offline Volante99

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2023, 01:37:33 PM »
Nah- Awake and FII are their best sounding albums.

Awake sounds slightly dated with that early 90s Lexicon reverb drenched all over the album but it still sounds like their most professional, “expensive” albums.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2023, 01:44:08 PM »
Production wise,  I think View is probably their best.  I do like the warmth of Octavarium though.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2023, 03:51:09 PM »
I'm a complete numbskull when it comes to music production, but I knows what I likes, and to my untrained ears Awake is their best-sounding album.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2023, 04:54:59 PM »
As of now I feel like View and FII are the best production. But I do think Octavariums production is pretty good.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2023, 07:16:10 PM »
SDOIT is the best IMO. It feels very open and clean, you can hear every detail without a doubt.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2023, 11:12:31 PM »
I'm a complete numbskull when it comes to music production, but I knows what I likes, and to my untrained ears Awake is their best-sounding album.

My standard is: if I can hear the bass perfectly, then I'm satisfied.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2023, 10:50:37 AM »
Awake has a dated sound but I still think it's great, especially for the mood of the album.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2023, 04:04:40 PM »
I love absolutely everything about the way Octavarium sounds except for the completely impotent kicks. I feel like I could take a bass mallet to a recycling bin and achieve about the same sound. 
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2023, 08:46:48 AM »
I'd probably rank AVFTTOTW as their best production-wise.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Pettor

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2023, 05:28:45 AM »
I understand what you mean. There something crisp and smooth about the production. Love LaBrie's vocals and the strong focus on keyboard on 8V. Both sounds amazing. I guess the vocals are a bit processed overall but it fits the songs perfectly.

Not sure it's the best overall since it always comes down to various things that are subjective in the end. Awake sounds great but also has a certain 90s sound to it. That's neither good or bad for me, just adds to the personality. FIF sounds great ofc but can sometime lack a bit of personality imo. 8V has a near perfect production for the content, and I think that's the most important aspect. The song 8V is such a pleasure to listen to every time, partly thanks to the production.

ADTOE on the other hand has a lot of flaws in the production and clearly (for me) not the perfect production for the content, as an example. Or self-titled ....

Offline adamack

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2023, 07:33:10 AM »
From the standpoint of the most natural and clean-sounding mix, I think FIF is their best (this is a pretty popular choice).

However I must say - in terms of a more modern mix, AVFTTOTW has one of the most amazing mixes I have heard. It manages to blend a huge drum sound with very solid lows, and everything on top sounds good as well.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2023, 12:05:55 PM »
From the standpoint of the most natural and clean-sounding mix, I think FIF is their best (this is a pretty popular choice).
Falling Innocence Faded?   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline HOF

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2023, 12:09:33 PM »
Falling Innocence Faded?   :biggrin:

Falling Into Finity

Offline BlacklistJones

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2023, 02:07:00 PM »
I'd agree that Octavarium is definitely up there, if not ultimately second to Falling Into Infinity, which I think is still their best produced work.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2023, 11:05:03 AM »
Octavarium has decent production, but it’s far from the best. It’s too thin, and JM’s bass tone doesn’t have enough low end. I&W-SDOIT all have better production, and View is up there as well.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2023, 02:14:42 PM »
I'm laughing reading this because I actually hated the production so much on this album that I legit thought my CD was broken. I brought it back to the store that I got it from.

Over the years it's grown on me but the mix is far too muddy and the precision playing that was present on preceding albums was lost imo.   

I completely respect anyone's opinion that loves the production and like I said it's grown on me over the years but for my taste its one of their worst and least inspired. 

Awake and SDOIT are the best productions in my opinion.   I&W would be there if not for the triggered drums.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 03:54:14 PM by lovethedrake »

Offline EvantheMotel6Owmer

• The Dream Theater obsessive of Southern Michigan.
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2024, 01:09:41 AM »
The production is decent. Don't think it's anywhere near as good as Images and Words, Falling into Infinity, Scenes from a Memory, Black Clouds or View from on Top of the World.
"The powers that be made you a martyr, conspiracy lead you to slaughter."

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2024, 03:10:41 AM »
I really like the kick drum sound on Octavarium, sounds natural & organic. A breath of fresh air after they finally ditched that Kevin Shirley triggered kick drum sound that plagued every DT album between FII and ToT (including Live at Budokan). Shirley insisted to put that sound on every album he mixed/engineered, sounds really out of place with Iron Maiden, for example: https://youtu.be/TMRYS9vxuR0?si=Bb2d7_BhPnRalWZv&t=120

One of the reasons I really like the alternate versions of the Scenes songs (besides those additional keyboard parts) is that the effect on the kick drums hasn't been applied yet: https://youtu.be/NxXyjcBqLF4?si=x-yKPu5cYmhIoHRa&t=157
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 03:16:06 AM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2024, 11:08:54 AM »
I really like the kick drum sound on Octavarium, sounds natural & organic. A breath of fresh air after they finally ditched that Kevin Shirley triggered kick drum sound that plagued every DT album between FII and ToT (including Live at Budokan). Shirley insisted to put that sound on every album he mixed/engineered, sounds really out of place with Iron Maiden, for example: https://youtu.be/TMRYS9vxuR0?si=Bb2d7_BhPnRalWZv&t=120

One of the reasons I really like the alternate versions of the Scenes songs (besides those additional keyboard parts) is that the effect on the kick drums hasn't been applied yet: https://youtu.be/NxXyjcBqLF4?si=x-yKPu5cYmhIoHRa&t=157

While I'm not crazy about Octavarium's production as a whole, I absolutely agree with this. I like drums to sound like actual acoustical instruments, ie natural and organic. Seems to be a dying art, especially on prog metal albums.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2024, 12:17:53 PM »
I really like the way James sounds on this album. His voice is pretty processed, but in a way that's actually flattering to him, unlike on the last two albums where he just sounds like a robot sometimes.

Overall the production isn't the best but it does give the album a unique feel compared to other Dream Theater records - it feels more natural and less cold / mechanical, which matches the green fields and blue skies on the album cover.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2024, 12:18:07 PM »
I like the production but my favorite is 6DOIT.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2024, 06:16:22 PM »
Overall the production isn't the best but it does give the album a unique feel compared to other Dream Theater records - it feels more natural and less cold / mechanical, which matches the green fields and blue skies on the album cover.

You perfectly described it, that's always how it felt.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2024, 06:20:19 PM »
I would take FII, Scenes or View over 8vm personally. There’s a few buried solos and other subpar moments that take it down a peg for me
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.