Author Topic: Illumination Theory... (let's call it appreciation thread)  (Read 97509 times)

Offline Knguro

Illumination Theory... (let's call it appreciation thread)
« on: September 20, 2013, 04:09:16 PM »
Sorry to bother with this, but it just made me cry, I'm serious, i cant tell what happened, i was just listening to it for the first time, and suddenly, tears, melody, instrumentation, sections, lyrics, mix, everything, JL, JP, JMX, MM, JR thanks for such a glorious moment in my life.

Did something similar happen to you guys?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:08:16 AM by Knguro »
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline jammindude

Re: Illumination Theory...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 04:11:47 PM »
Hasn't happened with this one, but I do know what you're talking about.   I get that every time I get to the ATC reprise in SDOIT.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 04:12:11 PM »
I'm not crying or anything, but I'm listening to IT right now and it seems to come together more with every listen.  What a fantastic song.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 04:22:22 PM »
It didn't move me to tears, but I definitely have to sit back and just . . . be.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Woodworker1

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 04:27:56 PM »
The song made me happy.  Illumination Theory stands in stark contrast to the mediocre, uninspiring trash masquerading as music that popular culture tries to sell us.  It makes me happy that there still some musicians dedicated to their craft.  Their dedication inspires me to try to do a good job at my small roles in life.

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 04:32:55 PM »
Yeah, it got (gets) me too. It's the ending that does it for me, when MM hits the gong.

I mean, what? No way! I'm a 100% macho guy and would never cry at anything at all.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »
Yeah, it got (gets) me too. It's the ending that does it for me, when MM hits the gong.

I mean, what? No way! I'm a 100% macho guy and would never cry at anything at all.

Macho Macho Men + Dream Theater = LALP Crying Girl  :angel:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Knguro

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 04:42:03 PM »

Believe me I have needles and car oil for breakfast, but this shit made me cry.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 04:51:54 PM »
It didn't quite bring me to tears but I was in awe and very happy with the experience.

I do get an interesting feeling when the Easter Egg completes though. I'm calm, at peace, a little sad, and almost impulsively eager to start the whole experience over again. I like that. It's like musical crack or something...
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 04:54:58 PM »
There was this magical day, I was on a 13 hour train ride home, all alone, watching Live Scenes on my laptop. I was incredibly immersed the whole way and then came Finally Free. When Julian and Victoria were getting shot, I had immense chills...then came the "One last time" section...I just lost it and burst into tears, which JP's beautiful solo even took up a notch. It was an absolute pivotal moment, one of the greatest feelings music has ever given me. Everything just clicked perfectly. Since then, I can never get through that section without getting at least little teary-eyed. It's the only song which has that effect on me and it took quite a few listens to get there. Who knows what IT has yet to offer.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 05:11:47 PM »
I think the only song I've ever cried listening to is Drive Home and The Raven That Refused To Sing by Steven Wilson...
Music brings out a ton of emotion in me but usually not enough to cause tears. However, IT is painfully beautiful, I agree. I almost teared up when listening to Surrender, Trust & Passion. What a beautiful piece.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Ħ

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 05:51:29 PM »
There was this magical day, I was on a 13 hour train ride home, all alone, watching Live Scenes on my laptop. I was incredibly immersed the whole way and then came Finally Free. When Julian and Victoria were getting shot, I had immense chills...then came the "One last time" section...I just lost it and burst into tears, which JP's beautiful solo even took up a notch. It was an absolute pivotal moment, one of the greatest feelings music has ever given me. Everything just clicked perfectly. Since then, I can never get through that section without getting at least little teary-eyed. It's the only song which has that effect on me and it took quite a few listens to get there. Who knows what IT has yet to offer.
That is one of the best DT moments.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline adamack

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 06:07:29 PM »
I shed a few tears during the first listen of DT12. Can't recall which song or part it was though.  :facepalm:

However, nothing will ever compare to the situation I was in while listening to "Collapse The Light Into Earth" by Porcupine Tree.

I went out to visit my ex gf for the first time. I intended to stay 3 days, but we were having such a great time that I stayed a month. The day before I had to head back home I learned that we couldn't have a future unless I somehow became Pentecostal and gave my life to God.

She had so much faith that I could become a believer. I told her that I could promise her anything except for learning to believe.

We were driving down a country road past huge cornfields at around midnight the day before I had to go, and Collapse The Light Into Earth came on. We just drove and listened, and didn't say anything. We knew it was over. We were so in love, but religion kept us apart. To this day, it is extremely difficult to listen to that song.

Another one that kills me is "Heart Attack In a Layby" by PT as well.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 06:19:17 PM »
It didn't move me to tears, but I definitely have to sit back and just . . . be.

Exactly what happens to me.

I shed a few tears during the first listen of DT12. Can't recall which song or part it was though.  :facepalm:

However, nothing will ever compare to the situation I was in while listening to "Collapse The Light Into Earth" by Porcupine Tree.

I went out to visit my ex gf for the first time. I intended to stay 3 days, but we were having such a great time that I stayed a month. The day before I had to head back home I learned that we couldn't have a future unless I somehow became Pentecostal and gave my life to God.

She had so much faith that I could become a believer. I told her that I could promise her anything except for learning to believe.

We were driving down a country road past huge cornfields at around midnight the day before I had to go, and Collapse The Light Into Earth came on. We just drove and listened, and didn't say anything. We knew it was over. We were so in love, but religion kept us apart. To this day, it is extremely difficult to listen to that song.

Another one that kills me is "Heart Attack In a Layby" by PT as well.

What a story man... I got goosebumps from reading it.

I have cried to a ton of songs, to be honest. The one that gets me the easiest is Deform to Form a Star by Steven Wilson.

Offline liran95

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 06:29:32 PM »
For me it's Another World (ACOS) and almost always BTS and FFH.

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 06:31:16 PM »
A song which has made me teary is Drag Ropes by Storm Corrosion. Theres a really sad Piano and String part in it. I think this thread should basically be a steven wilson appreciation thread lol

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 07:04:09 PM »
Sorry to bother with this, but it just made me cry, I'm serious, i cant tell what happened, i was just listening to it for the first time, and suddenly, tears, melody, instrumentation, sections, lyrics, mix, everything, JL, JP, JMX, MM, JR thanks for such a glorious moment in my life.

YES!!! I'm so glad that you created this thread. This has actually happened to me twice now upon listening to it. It always happens at the part where James is singing:

To really feel the joy in life
You must suffer through the pain
When you surrender to the light
You can face the darkest days

I don't know if it's the lyrics, the instrumentation, or a combination of both, but I just start sobbing uncontrollably.
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 07:11:20 PM »

YES!!! I'm so glad that you created this thread. This has actually happened to me twice now upon listening to it. It always happens at the part where James is singing:

I don't know if it's the lyrics, the instrumentation, or a combination of both, but I just start sobbing uncontrollably.
  This. 100% agree.

Offline adamack

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 07:48:09 PM »

I have cried to a ton of songs, to be honest. The one that gets me the easiest is Deform to Form a Star by Steven Wilson.

Ya know what, for all the hours I've spent listening to Steven Wilson creations, I've never heard Deform To Form a Star. I just put it on and am listening to it right now. It sounds wonderful. It just broke into the chorus section...beautiful.

I love SW's works because each lyric is somewhat of a mystery, and you really have to think into it to decipher precisely what his intentions were for the meaning.

And yeah man, it was the most devastating feeling of my life.

But this fits in perfectly with the topic of this thread. The whole "To really feel the joy in life, you must suffer through the pain" lyric applies precisely with that situation I faced. I honestly now can find much more joy in little things everyday because of the culmination of devastating times in my life.

As cliche as that sounds, I've found it to be so true.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 08:09:12 PM »

Ya know what, for all the hours I've spent listening to Steven Wilson creations, I've never heard Deform To Form a Star. I just put it on and am listening to it right now. It sounds wonderful. It just broke into the chorus section...beautiful.

I love SW's works because each lyric is somewhat of a mystery, and you really have to think into it to decipher precisely what his intentions were for the meaning.

But this fits in perfectly with the topic of this thread. The whole "To really feel the joy in life, you must suffer through the pain" lyric applies precisely with that situation I faced. I honestly now can find much more joy in little things everyday because of the culmination of devastating times in my life.

Im currently going through the worst heartache i can imagine, and Illumination Theory is so helpful to me. Its so therapeutic, and I can relate to all the lyrics. "The bridges we built to connect, the distance that makes us forget. Hate dividing us - love reminding us of our shared humanity" especially. like, i fucking feel the anger in those words and relate so well. Surrender Trust and Passion is still actually too hard too listen to right now, and truth be told I end up cutting the song short right there. I get a sick feeling in my stomach when the instrumental section ends and trasintions into the final part. I know that if i continue listening any further i'll end up going on a feels trip that i really dont want to go on right now. But the few times i did listen to that part, it was a healing experience, a painful healing experience, if that makes sense. In fact, this whole album is really a very therapeutic experience for me and every song seems to give me a little bit more encouragement every day to get through the struggle.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 08:32:57 PM »

It's my favorite song of all time. I relate to it very deeply. As far as I remember, he explained the song talks about how beauty is not found in perfection but in flaws.

I'm not quite sure if it is a cliché. Yes, it might sound a little bit cheesy when heard or said, but if you think properly of it is pretty much the best way to live by, and I say this because I have gone through really hard situations and they have led me to that, and it is possibly the only way to enjoy life fully and to deal properly with harsh moments.

Im currently going through the worst heartache i can imagine, and Illumination Theory is so helpful to me. Its so therapeutic, and I can relate to all the lyrics. "The bridges we built to connect, the distance that makes us forget. Hate dividing us - love reminding us of our shared humanity" especially. like, i fucking feel the anger in those words and relate so well. Surrender Trust and Passion is still actually too hard too listen to right now, and truth be told I end up cutting the song short right there. I get a sick feeling in my stomach when the instrumental section ends and trasintions into the final part. I know that if i continue listening any further i'll end up going on a feels trip that i really dont want to go on right now. But the few times i did listen to that part, it was a healing experience, a painful healing experience, if that makes sense. In fact, this whole album is really a very therapeutic experience for me and every song seems to give me a little bit more encouragement every day to get through the struggle.

That's pretty much what the song talks about, I think. How dealing with hardships finally gets you to a point where you grow stronger, that is "illumination", to sum it up in DT's words. It's an incredible song, and I found the verses you mentioned to sink in better than any others through the whole song. There's a very deep meaning to it, and now that I try to bond with it better I get that sick feeling in the stomach as well. I totally get what you're saying here.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 08:44:21 PM »
No music has ever made me cry, but the orchestral section of Illumination Theory is as close as any music has ever come. Absolutely beautiful.
A lot of the rest of the song is excellent too, but no danger of waterworks.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline manticore999

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 08:54:09 PM »
I'd give the song an overall 'C'.  Generally it's ok, but there are parts where it just sounds like random noise and makes me cringe.  When I buy the album I'll edit those parts out and it'll probably be more palatable to me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 09:13:47 PM »
Music that really gets to me gives me goosebumps on my arms and whatnot, but doesn't make me cry. Illumination Theory definitely has several moments where the goosebumps are fighting to get to the surface of my arms. :lol 

The more I listen to the song, the more fantastic I think it is, although I will say that I wish the first three minutes or so were stronger.  They aren't bad or anything, but they are just kind of there.  But once those crazy drum fills kick in and the guitar riffage speeds about around the 3 1/2 minute mark, it is mostly awesomeness from that point forward.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 10:34:56 PM »
No music has ever made me cry, but the orchestral section of Illumination Theory is as close as any music has ever come. Absolutely beautiful.
A lot of the rest of the song is excellent too, but no danger of waterworks.

Damn you. Thats where all started for me on the song.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 10:36:16 PM »

This. 100% agree.

You are welcome guys!

Offline TL

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 11:08:38 PM »
The ending of Octavarium made my eyes water a little the first time I heard it (and maybe on some occasions after) with how beautiful it is. I had a similar reaction the first time listening to a section of Breaking All Illusions.

There are definitely sections of Illumination Theory that have this effect.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 11:50:12 PM »
This song is so many things to me right now...aside from the obviously amazing orchestral/string section in the middle, and the mind-blowingly great guitar solo and last vocal verses at the end, the instrumental moments throughout this piece remind me so much of classic Yes and ELP, as well as a bit of Rush and Genesis at times. It's like Dream Theater went back to their prog-roots and wrote some pretty classic-sounding things on this whole album, but especially this song!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2013, 02:10:58 AM »
I don't know rest of you but for me, IT's V. Surrender, Trust & Passion section is the most intense piece of music just because of James' vocal delivery probably since ACoS's Another World section.

Yeah, TCOT's last section, TBOT or even TSCO are such emotional songs but there is something "intense" and deep feeling in JLB's voice in section V. Yes I cried a lot as well.  :blush :lol
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2013, 02:16:46 AM »
I didn't cry but I think I will when I'll hear it live on stage. I'm pretty sure of it.
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2013, 02:51:21 AM »
Count me in too. I cry my heart out when the string section comes in. Btw, thanks for sharing and for starting this topic man. IT is unearthly beauty.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2013, 06:51:29 AM »
Count me in too. I cry my heart out when the string section comes in. Btw, thanks for sharing and for starting this topic man. IT is unearthly beauty.

You're welcome, and yes the strings section was the detonator, it was just to much joy on a piece of music. I have to be honest it has only happened a couple of times to me, one of those was with Learning to Live, but i have this deep meaningful feeling for LtL, and the second time happened when I saw them live for the first time along with my dad, I couldn't avoid it, my old man was right there for me in such a wonderful moment.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:02:39 AM by Knguro »

Offline MetalJens

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2013, 07:05:03 AM »

Yep. DT is the only band/artist that can do that to me. Cried twice the first time i listened to IT lol   :blush  First the orchestral section, and then the ending. Both sections are just so incredibly beautiful and emotional. Too much for me to handle lol  :hefdaddy

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2013, 07:12:23 AM »
I may or may not have shed a few tears on the third or fourth listen of IT, when I finally realized how it all, the whole song and album, all of it was coming together in the last verse of the song. James did it for me.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MacClaus

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2013, 07:29:27 AM »
IT is a great song...... at 11:00. Just awesome.