Author Topic: Appreciation of John Myung's lyrics to "Surrender to Reason"  (Read 3694 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Appreciation of John Myung's lyrics to "Surrender to Reason"
« on: September 20, 2013, 08:21:35 AM »
So, John Myung is considered among many DT fans as being the band's strongest lyricist -- and his new lyrics on "Surrender to Reason" are totally poetic and inspiring, in my opinion.  I even just love that phrase "surrender to reason."  I feels like something Neil Peart would write.  Personally, I feel like John's lyrics often have themes based around meditation concepts and mindfulness.  "Breaking All Illusions" was in that vein and so is this new song.  Anyway, I thought it would be nice to take a closer look at the new words that the mighty myung has delivered to us.  Since the song is not engrained in my head just yet, I can read the lyrics as a poem and not feel inclined to sing them.  They are quite beautiful.  Let's appreciate!

Surrender to Reason

In moments of pain
Where heart and mind collide
Self-reflection helps me decide
I believe the sacrifices in life
Give more than they take

Visions flowing slowly shedding light
Memories swimming in the sea of time
Pieces to the puzzle falling into place
That with which we struggle through we’ve learned to embrace

Love show the way, alter my state of mind
Wash away the sorrow
Grace lead the way
When boundaries are found
Surrender to reason

Life gives you brighter days
Through sacrifices made
My spirit travels like the wind and waves
My heart and mind unite
Mistakes resolved give sight
The river’s currents slowly turns the stone

Love show the way, alter my state of mind
Wash away the sorrow
Grace lead the way
When boundaries are found
Surrender to reason

Restless angels
Help me find my way
Restless angels
Help me find my strength

Restless angels
Help me find my way
Restless angels
Let love show the way
Let grace be the way
Surrender to reason   
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
Re: Appreciation of John Myung's lyrics to "Surrender to Reason"
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 08:27:14 AM »
:heart :heart :heart

He's always been my favorite lyricist in the band.
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 10:51:38 AM »
JMX lyrics always seem to speak to me on a deep level.  Maybe not everyone gets it, but I certainly do and would love to see him take on a bigger role in the lyric writing dept.  And his bass playing on DT12 is awesome, not so much that he has not always been an amazing bassist but that the parts are audible and distiguishable.  Glad to see him getting some time in the spotlight based on the reactions to the new record.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 11:40:41 AM »
Myung's lyrics are so poetic that I seriously wonder if he has a notebook filled with original poetry that he's written from the past 20-plus years that no one has ever seen.  Imagine all the beautiful writings he has just sitting in a shelf in his home?  Ugh.  I wanna read it all.   
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline thosava

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 11:52:42 AM »
As poetic lyrics i think they are really good. But the only "problem" i have with the new album is that some of the lyrics are a bit too religious. As a non-believer those kind of lyrics don't do anything for me personally like they would for a religious person. Luckily though i think the religious references are metaphors and then it's fine with me  ;) Other than that the album is  near flawless for me, and i hope it stays that way for a long time  ;D

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 08:50:58 AM »
I know this is an old topic.
And what I have to say has been said in forums and this is beating a dead horse

I just want to chime in that DT12 feels like a concept album with the main theme revolving arround "Surrender" and trusting to fate  and having faith.

It also seems trying to tell the listener to find light from his/her significant other like to trust in love (Illumination theory v.surrender trust and passion)

And in Surrender to reason itself it says "Love show the way alter my state of mind".

And she listens openly

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 12:46:52 PM »
and his new lyrics on "Surrender to Reason" are totally poetic and inspiring

Wait, what?

Sees post is from 2013

Ooooohhhhhhh
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 02:20:32 PM »
and his new lyrics on "Surrender to Reason" are totally poetic and inspiring

Wait, what?

Sees post is from 2013

Ooooohhhhhhh

Do you have your own analysis I love what you did with "The Bigger picture"

I do feel these 4 songs are some what related or inspired each other.

1.The bigger picture.
2.Surrender to reason.
3.Along for the ride.
4.Illumination theory.

In the final movement of Illumination theory V.Surrender,Trust and Passion if you will analyze the lyrics it tells the listener to Surrender to the light and trust in love.

It could be interpreted that the "river" in the bigger picture is the metaphor for fate, its the river mentioned in Surrender to reason meaning the listener should surrender and trust in fate or even "trust in love" and allow the river's current to take him away.  Hence the line in Myungs Surrender to reason "The river’s currents slowly turns the stone " 

So we could safely say that in the Bigger picture this line.

If the candle lights this crooked path
Like a lighthouse peering through the haze
I will find the river through the rain
And I’ll reach the water’s edge

The river mentioned there is the same river in Surrender to Reason  "The river’s currents slowly turns the stone "  that river being a metaphor for fate and reason like the river of life. So the seeker in "The Bigger picture is searching for that river where he will eventually surrender.

So if we are going to build a mini  concept album we can say Surrender to reason goes first and then the Bigger Picture and after the protagonists sees the bigger picture he realizes that they are not alone and they are indeed "along for the ride" and it all culminates with Illumination theory.

Heck to even make it dramatic why not listed to The Mirror,Lie,Scarred and Space dye Vest first before the selection from DT12.  I think that is another reason why I love so much the Breaking the 4th wall DVD its like all the dark vibe of the Awake selection got resolved and illuminated by Illumination theory.

And she listens openly