Author Topic: (SPOILERS) DT Live in Luna Park review  (Read 31009 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: (SPOILERS) DT Live in Luna Park review
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2013, 09:30:21 PM »
Could you hear the bass solo in Metropolis????
Yes.

It was too low in my opinion.
Yeah, but you could hear it.

Naturally, but he still should have been louder in the mix, especially at that moment.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2013, 09:35:02 PM »
Yeah, probably so.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2013, 10:12:04 PM »
That bass solo should be so loud and in your face that Justin Bieber fans all across the world start whining that their wimpy little ears are aching EVERY SINGLE TIME someone plays that part of the DVD.

So it being "eh you can hear it.. could be louder" is quite a travesty. Still though, HOLY CRAP I'M DREAMING ABOUT THIS DVD EVERY NIGHT I CAN'T WAIT!!

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2013, 10:15:29 PM »
They should probably tease us with a song in October or something... Just saying  ;)

Offline bugsyoz

« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2013, 06:42:45 AM »
Hey space....yep, remember seeing you there.

Agree, difficult to gauge the should I yell something out/clap or whatever factor.  For what it's worth, I thought the bub was extremely well behaved what with the sound blasting like that.  When the sound was turned down too low, I take it that person got up and spoke to the staff...'oi, DT will not be at quiet carriage levels on the 6:30 from Woy Woy.....'   :biggrin:

B

Offline Spacebar.

• Yarr...
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2013, 06:49:59 AM »
Hey space....yep, remember seeing you there.

Agree, difficult to gauge the should I yell something out/clap or whatever factor.  For what it's worth, I thought the bub was extremely well behaved what with the sound blasting like that.  When the sound was turned down too low, I take it that person got up and spoke to the staff...'oi, DT will not be at quiet carriage levels on the 6:30 from Woy Woy.....'   :biggrin:

B
:D

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2013, 10:17:07 AM »
One thing I forgot to mention that I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned: Prerecorded background vocals. 

I know it has been discussed in the past that they are using a backing tape for some melodies but it appears that they are not using any MP backing vocals at all and have possibly recorded new JLB exclusive backing vocals for songs like War Inside My Head and The Test That Stumped Them All among others. 

The film showed JP singing into the microphone during most of the moments however it didn't appear that he was contributing much and to be honest, it really didn't sound like him. 

Specifically for the last line of War Inside My Head, he stopped singing or "mouthing" the words to prepare for his the complex guitar part in TTTSTA and you could hear the background vocals which sounded more like JLB.

Thoguhts?

Also, a great JLB line from the night at the beginning of the concert.  I'll have to paraphrase...

"We're shooting a DVD tonight so you're all going to be on film....and I think we are too." 

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2013, 11:44:20 AM »
From what I heard on the actual tour, it sounded like some of the backings were recorded with JLB (all the ADTOE songs minus OTBOA, BTS and BITS, plus TROE). Of these, JP only sang along to them toward the end of the tour. On the South American tour, some of the tracks sound like they might have even been replaced with JP tracks, but maybe not.

Then some sounded like JP recordings, except they were a little too smoothe and perfect (BITS, TW, OTBOA, WIMH) and toward the very beginning of this tour, JP seemed to actually sing them with no track, but by 2012, he was singing along with a track.

Then some tracks sounded like it might have been one of them, but it didn't really sound like either to me. Maybe they just weren't up in front enough for me to tell, or maybe they were dubbed in a weird way- idk. (TTTSTA, TDEN) And JP sang along with TDEN.

As for TSM and BTS, it seems like JP actually did those for real every time to me.

Also, a great JLB line from the night at the beginning of the concert.  I'll have to paraphrase...

"We're shooting a DVD tonight so you're all going to be on film....and I think we are too." 

:lol I almost wish that wasn't spoiled for me!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
Got back from the showing in Austin today.  Not a whole lot of people there, I can only hope Friday was packed for them.

I can't wait for the BluRay to come out! Great live set.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2013, 06:55:52 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention that I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned: Prerecorded background vocals. 

I know it has been discussed in the past that they are using a backing tape for some melodies but it appears that they are not using any MP backing vocals at all and have possibly recorded new JLB exclusive backing vocals for songs like War Inside My Head and The Test That Stumped Them All among others. 

Interesting. I would think if DT did in fact re-record the bg vocals, it was to prevent a "Terry Brown" with MP.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2013, 07:52:05 PM »

Interesting. I would think if DT did in fact re-record the bg vocals, it was to prevent a "Terry Brown" with MP.

Exactly what I was thinking.  Also, forgot to mention even the intro drums for Root of All Evil sounded rerecorded.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2013, 08:14:38 PM »

The film showed JP singing into the microphone during most of the moments however it didn't appear that he was contributing much and to be honest, it really didn't sound like him. 

Specifically for the last line of War Inside My Head, he stopped singing or "mouthing" the words to prepare for his the complex guitar part in TTTSTA and you could hear the background vocals which sounded more like JLB.

Thoguhts?

Why would they keep those MP backing 'vocals'?

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2013, 12:15:59 AM »
I just got back from a showing in Dallas.  The video looked great!! The mix was a bit out of balance it seemed, as mentioned before, but I'm reserving judgment till I have it home on a proper system.  A movie theater my not be EQ'd properly for a concert.

The two things that blew me away:  James's Vocals and the acoustic set.  James just sounded so amazingly great, SO MUCH better than previous live releases.  And the acoustic set with the strings.... man oh man, that was amazing.  Simply beautiful.  Silent Man never sounded so awesome.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2013, 02:47:27 AM »
There’s no crying in PROG!

aka:  MY REVIEW OF PASADENA SCREENING 8/22/13:

It was such a treat to see Dream Theater in a theatrical venue.  Kudos to the band for continuing to break into new frontiers.  The performance kicked ass, and truly deserved the “big screen” treatment.  It felt MASSIVE.  It looked AWESOME.  Having seen six shows on the ADTOE tour, this release does a commendable job of capturing what I witnessed in those live experiences.  Production value is exceptional and exceeds all prior DVD’s. (more camera angles, effective editing, etc).  Visually crisp projection (and in sync throughout).

The theater was fancy, featuring call buttons for food service (full dinner menu).  The chairs were wide, plush leather and could recline into a sofa position.

The sound was BOOMING, but not sure the 5.1 surround was set up properly, as many keyboard moments were dull in the mix, presumably due to the speaker set-up at the theater.  For example, Jordan’s mini-solo in the opening of Metropolis was flatly inaudible (along with other similar instances).  Disappointing, as I don’t have a 5.1 system in my home.

The turn out was surprisingly empty.  I thought more folks from around the Los Angeles area would show up to support this concept, even despite the high cost of tix ($58 for my pair).  When the band takes a risk in these new endeavors, we have to do better as a fan base to get behind them.  Hopefully, other cities compensated with a strong showing.

I think DT’s booking agent may have sat next to us: (1) he was much older than the usual DT fan, and (2) he left 1/3 through the movie – a typical agent move.  Too bad, I would have liked to chat with him as I believe we share some clients.

The show itself had many highlights, featuring the setlist order of the first night. Undoubtedly, the best performance of Silent Man ever.  The song really pops to life with the strings.  I think my brain exploded somewhere at the beginning of Lost Not Forgotten.  Holy smokes, I underestimated JM’s parts in that intro.  (it is not wise to underestimate a ninja).   Mangini’s drum solo was GODLY on the large screen and I pity all those who missed this opportunity.   Petrucci’s solo might have been my favorite moment in the show.  Spirit Carries On was transcendent.  James never sounded better.

And then there was the crying girl.  Wow, she will become legend.  James even mentioned having seen men tearing up at shows.  Those weren’t tears James, I have bad allergies. 

The Buenos Aires crowded didn’t really “bring it” like I had anticipated from a SA show.  Thought they would be bouncing around like Chile, but they were surprisingly reserved.  Could have been shot in Cleveland for the same reaction, with less flag waving of course. 

Eric Disrude appeared to be sleeping behind the drums in the first song.  He is very noticeable (especially on the big screen) in the overhead drum cam shots.  Probably could have framed that shot differently . . .

Someone mentioned this earlier, and yes JP is lip syncing to several songs.  He sings backup on Silent and Angels (easily identifiable by the “room tone” when he sings these songs).  I believe everything else is backtrack.  Just noting, not complaining.

The screening was my girlfriend’s first DT experience, and she was enthusiastic, clapping and moving about.  Very taken by the GRANDEUR of the concert.  She cannot wait for the upcoming tour.  That makes two of us, my dear.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2013, 04:06:37 AM »
JR is not just a bit too low, he is barely there. He is as low as JMX is on a studio album, seriously. If the mix for the BluRay isn't better, I'll pass. I enjoyed watching the show once but I have no intention  to listen to it again with this mix.
Inconceivable! Especially since Jordan was probably more prominent on ADTOE than ever before. Really disappointing.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2013, 04:08:34 AM »
Maybe it's a fault in the way the 5.1 was reproduced at the theaters?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2013, 04:16:24 AM »
Maybe it's a fault in the way the 5.1 was reproduced at the theaters?

I guess it's possible that the way surround sound is set up at theaters isn't ideal for music, although the keys should still be mixed equally loud in the front speakers, and many people have reported the same issue.
Maybe the acoustics of a cinema make the guitar/bass frequencies more boomy and overpowering than they really are. Or maybe the keyboards are just mixed low. I'm hoping that if there is a mixing issue, that the stereo mix is better. Budokan's stereo mix sounded a lot more pleasant than the surround sound to me (although that could have just been the mixdown).

No use worrying until we have it in our grubby little hands, I suppose. I'd like to have a trailer with sound so we can judge it in a better environment.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2013, 07:07:51 AM »
Today is the Solon, Ohio showing that I will be going to! I get off work a couple hours early, I'll pick up my sister, and I'll be on the road!

I mentioned it in the other thread, but sometime either tomorrow or Wednesday I will post an article on Ladyobscure.com. Not quite a review, since I can't formulate that off of one showing, but some impressions (similar to what many of you have already posted).
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2013, 07:35:59 AM »
The mix is perfect on the 6:00 thing.. Maybe the keyboard could be slightly higher in other songs, but this one sounds great! Did the mix of 6:00 in theaters sound like the mativision trailer?

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2013, 08:30:15 AM »
Really looking forward to tonight's show in NJ!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2013, 08:35:40 AM »
Really looking forward to tonight's show in NJ!

Enjoy it!  I wish I could go again.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2013, 08:36:32 AM »
Hopefully the keyboards will be louder in the stereo mix...

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2013, 09:05:57 AM »
What I loved about James so much, is not only was he spot-on.  He sounded perfect on Score but on this one he seems like he added a little something to every song. Like taking certain parts and adding a different flare and kicking it up a notch!  Maybe someone else who has seen it too knows what I'm talking about and can explain better than I can.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2013, 11:07:22 AM »
What I loved about James so much, is not only was he spot-on.  He sounded perfect on Score but on this one he seems like he added a little something to every song. Like taking certain parts and adding a different flare and kicking it up a notch!  Maybe someone else who has seen it too knows what I'm talking about and can explain better than I can.

I noticed that too.  He did some slight improv on a few spots, maybe a few harmonizing parts in between phrases, I think he also went up an octave at one part just to shake it up, and also he sorta forced a couple notes which made it sound like there was more passion.  Just a great performance. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2013, 11:53:56 AM »
Got back from the showing in Austin today.  Not a whole lot of people there, I can only hope Friday was packed for them.

There weren't many at the showing we saw yesterday in Scottsdale AZ either, but it was a Sunday afternoon.  The only previous showing at that theater was Thurs 9/19.  It's a shame there weren't more people, but it was kinda nice for the rest of us.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2013, 12:08:05 PM »

There weren't many at the showing we saw yesterday in Scottsdale AZ either, but it was a Sunday afternoon.  The only previous showing at that theater was Thurs 9/19.  It's a shame there weren't more people, but it was kinda nice for the rest of us.

I'm hoping there will be lots of people at the Solon, Ohio showing, but I have a sad feeling that me and my sister may be the only two there :( I hope I'm wrong!
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2013, 02:40:08 PM »
Loved it !! Saw it in Boca Raton on Thursday the 19th...Surprised only one reviewer mentioned it...I noticed that it seemed very grainy on the big screen at times ...Poster stated that it was probably due to the resolution being stretched out so large for the theater screen..Wondering if this is in fact TRUE...I will be buying this blu ray for sure and want it to look awesome on my home TV !!
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2013, 02:49:21 PM »
I'm going to see it in Fairfield CT tonight! Dragging a friend along who knows little about the band. Could be a long night for him. :biggrin:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2013, 03:00:21 PM »
Bring it on, people! I want to see reviews when I wake up in 9 hours! :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline DreamTension

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Live in the moment, breathe in a nude beginning
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2013, 03:19:53 PM »
Loved it !! Saw it in Boca Raton on Thursday the 19th...Surprised only one reviewer mentioned it...I noticed that it seemed very grainy on the big screen at times ...Poster stated that it was probably due to the resolution being stretched out so large for the theater screen..Wondering if this is in fact TRUE...I will be buying this blu ray for sure and want it to look awesome on my home TV !!

I was there!  I was the guy with his 7yo daughter.  It was quite grainy.  It did seem stretched though.  I was close to the front.  It was hard to make out a lot of the keyboard, bass, and drum fills.  I hope the Blue Ray will have a better mix.

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2013, 09:19:39 PM »
Came back from the NJ one.

The theater had a lot of problems with the screening. Right before The Dark Eternal Night, the screen went static but the music kept playing. It was fixed after 10 minutes but there was a lot of skipping going on throughout the show.

I'll also agree with the others on the keyboards being very low. I thought the bass and the cymbals were really low as well. The guitars were very in your face.

I don't know if it was just this theater but I thought the footage was not sharp at all. It looked like I was watching a VHS tape...

Having said all that, it was a great performance and I'm looking forward to the DVD. Drum solo was awesome and I couldn't help myself but laugh at the famous crying girl during The Spirit Carries On :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2013, 09:23:12 PM »
I don't know if it was just this theater but I thought the footage was not sharp at all. It looked like I was watching a VHS tape...

It was probably 1080p, which isn't intended for a cinema sized screen. I'm sure it will look great on a large TV though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2013, 09:41:03 PM »
Came back from the NJ one.

The theater had a lot of problems with the screening. Right before The Dark Eternal Night, the screen went static but the music kept playing. It was fixed after 10 minutes but there was a lot of skipping going on throughout the show.

I'll also agree with the others on the keyboards being very low. I thought the bass and the cymbals were really low as well. The guitars were very in your face.

Having said all that, it was a great performance and I'm looking forward to the DVD. Drum solo was awesome and I couldn't help myself but laugh at the famous crying girl during The Spirit Carries On :)

The video footage itself was perfect in NYC where I saw it. That's strange what happened by you.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2013, 10:17:34 PM »
Finally home from the "local" showing! It was really fantastic to say the least. I'll be brief since I'll have a full article ready to be posted on LadyObscure in a couple days, but I will address a couple positives and negatives that have been frequently posted about.

-James was awesome (but it was hard to tell if it was just because of how loud it was, as the theater had it as loud or maybe louder than an actual concert)
-The keyboards were low, but I'll be quick to blame that on the speaker setup. When you need to hear Jordan however, he is front and center.
-The picture quality at this theater was amazing. It was slightly smaller than your average theater screen, which I'm sure helped the quality. It was very crisp, and very HD. It will likely be mindblowingly good on a 60" or smaller HDTV on Bluray.
-Screw the place next door and their expensive drinks! I blew 76 bucks on dinner and some drinks  :lol

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2013, 11:01:39 PM »

It was probably 1080p, which isn't intended for a cinema sized screen. I'm sure it will look great on a large TV though.

Oh ok I figured it was something related to that. It will def look good on the DVD.

Oh and I stayed until the end credits and I saw your name again on there :) Good animations and congrats!