Author Topic: (SPOILERS) DT Live in Luna Park review  (Read 30961 times)

Offline Spacebar.

• Yarr...
(SPOILERS) DT Live in Luna Park review
« on: September 19, 2013, 08:50:34 AM »
Just got home from watching Live in Luna Park in Australia's only location of screening - Avoca Beach Theatre. Below is my purely subjective opinions and review. Naturally, a warning for those who have yet to see this or are awaiting the blu-ray/DVD, that spoilers are contained within.

So finally, the day arrived. DT on the big screen. One of the best bands in the world, in one of Sydney's most obscure theatres, an hour and a bit north of the city, on the Central Coast. Not a bad way to end what could be called an unprecedented 'DT week' with a live stream of the new album and the cinematic release of a concert shot in South America, home to some of DT's most passionate fans, all within a space of a few days.

Due to the distance of the venue and being a school night, it was not unexpected to see less than 30 people at the screening. What was unexpected, was to see a baby amongst the attendees - quite possibly DT's youngest fan?

The session started with a trailer of Woody Allen's new film and a new Audrey Tautou french flick.

Then the Shaman called...

And thus began what can only be described as an awesome, mind-blowing and superlative documentation of the band we have grown to know and love.

Footage: Holy-forearm-muscles-of-JMX-and-individual-arm-hairs-of-JP, the HD footage is amazing. It reminded me a lot of the Vancouver footage from CiM but with a bigger crowd and more sweeping crane shots and more close-ups of all members of the band. The Director of Photography should be applauded for being able to capture the energy of the band members and the crowd. There were some camera hiccups at times, but overall, I felt they captured the important players at the right times and even highlighted other members during solos and the like. 

Sound: I know a lot of you were concerned with this aspect of the DVD. I will have to reserve my final judgement on this until I view the blu-ray on my own system. I felt JLB and JP were too loud in the mix and the others were being drowned out. This was especially evident in the unisons. However, I cannot say whether this was the fault of the mixing by Chycki or Avoca Beach's sound setup. BUT, with that being said, this DVD will easily go down as being the best recording of JLB live. He easily outshone the rest of the band  :yarr Forget Budokan, CiM or any other DVD from the past, JLB is back and easily proves it on LiLP. JLB's soaring vocalisations made the night for me - I got shivers and goosebumps at multiple times.

Band members: JLB - as aforementioned, at the top of his game. "What vocal injury?" Coincidentally, today was also Talk like a Pirate day in Australia.
JP - brilliant as usual - lots of interacting with the crowd and the other members of the band. His vocals, on the other hand, were too soft on most songs apart from the acoustic set.
JR - his low mix made me miss his presence especially in the unisons, but he still held his own especially in his piano solo.
JMX - definitely a more energetic and involved JMX, but again, he was missing in the mix.
MM - this man is truly a machine. Not only is his playing prowess unmatched, his facial expressions really show his connection to the songs. His drum solo was bombastic and incredible and will make anyone want to quit the drums.

Setlist:
- Bridges in the Sky
- 6:00
- The Dark Eternal Night - a much better recording than on CiM. Please delete previous versions.
- This is the Life
- The Root of all Evil
- Lost Not Forgotten - I was a bit letdown by the unison in this but perhaps I was expecting too much?
- Drum Solo - what a way to record this beast of a man. Another nod to the directors for capturing this solo perfectly.
- A Fortune in Lies
- Acoustic set: The Silent Man, beneath the Surface - the string quartet sounded amazing for this part of the screening. I cannot wait to see them return for future concerts. They really brought out another side to these songs.
- Outcry
- JR Solo - another amazing piano improvisation from the Keyboard Wizard. Straight from the heart. Unbelievable.
- Surrounded
- On The Backs of Angels/War Inside My Head/The Test that Stumped Them All
- JP Solo (with JR atmosphere) - an amazing duet from the two.
- The Spirit Carries On - as some of you suspected, we finally see our infamous crying girl.
- Breaking All Illusions - my favourite song of the screening with all members showing their prowess to full potential.
- Metropolis pt. 1 w/extended jam - another great recording of a classic DT song with an interesting jam after JLB thanks the crowd at the final break.

Crowd: Present and engaging. They could be heard for most parts of the songs but weren't overpowering. I feel not having seats on the main floor would have made for a very different concert.

Overall: Live at Luna Park is the perfect reward for us DT fans in Australia who never got to welcome Mike Mangini to the family in person. This blu-ray/DVD was easily worth the wait and to see it on a big screen with fellow fans around was the ideal way to end a perfect week for DT fans. I should also mention, that at least two other girls (apart from the crying one) are highlighted by the cameras through the concert and are shown singing along to JLB  :metal

Mods, please merge this thread with other reviews as you see fit. I also apologise for what may seem like an illogical flow to this write-up but I thought that I might as well get this all out before I forget it by tomorrow morning.

And as always, thanks to Over the Edge for the facts.

Offline Shadow2222

Re: (SPOILERS) DT Live in Luna Park review
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 08:56:34 AM »
Interesting. So they completely eliminated the intro music and went straight to Bridges in the Sky?

It makes sense I suppose, considering it has an intro fit for opening a show.

Thanks for the impressions and review!
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 08:56:49 AM »
Thanks to Spacebar for the facts!

Did they have the intro cartoon before the Shaman intro? We've been wonder what music they subbed in.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 08:58:03 AM »
But more than that, I would say Thanks to Over The Spacebar for the facts!

Great review, great to hear that the greatness of James's great performance was greatly conveyed on tape.

Ok, now that I've exhausted my daily ration of "great", I will just say that my already high excitement for this recording has increased a bit!  :laugh:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 08:58:54 AM »
Great review, great to hear that the greatness of James's great performance was greatly conveyed on tape.
Also, at DTF: MARCO AND I TOLD YOU SO :xbones

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 09:00:43 AM »
Thank you very much! Can't wait to see it myself (in November :\)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Spacebar.

• Yarr...
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 09:02:31 AM »
Yep, the intro animation was completely skipped over. I hope this will be a bonus feature? My friend was postulating that this may have been the reason for the initial delay in the DVD's release with issues of copyright with the song used?

Also great to see you in the credits, Blob!

Also, MoraWintersoul - this is purely my subjective views on the sound. Others may judge it to be contrary to my beliefs.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 09:03:44 AM »
I'm 99% positive that it is on the Bluray/DVD as an extra.

From Blabbermouth:

The bonus features offer live versions of six great tracks: "These Walls"; "Build Me Up, Break Me Down"; "Caught In A Web"; "Wait For Sleep"; "Far From Heaven"; and "Pull Me Under". Also on "Live At Luna Park" is a documentary, the trailer for the cinema release of the film, a "behind-the-scenes" feature and the cartoon intro that ran on big screens prior to the band taking to the stage in Buenos Aires. The Blu-ray additionally features six multi-angle options on "Outcry".
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 09:04:37 AM »
Also, at DTF: MARCO AND I TOLD YOU SO :xbones

Oh, if we did. More than one year of saying so  :metal

Also, MoraWintersoul - this is purely my subjective views on the sound. Others may judge it to be contrary to my beliefs.

Nah, it's definitely not subjective, I would say :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 09:08:56 AM »
Interesting. So they completely eliminated the intro music and went straight to Bridges in the Sky?

I thought the screening for LaLP was a shortened version anyway? If so it's quite possible they still have an intro on the actual blu-ray.
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 09:11:29 AM »

I thought the screening for LaLP was a shortened version anyway? If so it's quite possible they still have an intro on the actual blu-ray.

Maybe, but I don't think so. It is the full first night from the concert according to the press release. The only thing not being shown are the tracks from the second night (and the bonus features, of course).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 09:13:15 AM »
Also great to see you in the credits, Blob!

Double thanks to Spacebar for the facts! :D
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 09:19:45 AM »
Thanks to Spacebar. for the opinions!

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 09:29:57 AM »
Also, is this really JLB at his best? Better than Score?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 09:33:29 AM »
I'd like to know how the audio compared to what we say on that 360 vision performance of 6:00. Because I think that sounded pretty questionable in the vocals department.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 09:37:12 AM »
Thanks for the review but bull fuckin shit that they skipped over Dream is Collapsing and the intro animation, that was one of the things I was looking forward to most, attached to BiTS.
I am worried to ask if they at least left in the unicyclist journey footage.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 09:38:25 AM »
Wow..I'm getting goosebumps. I can't wait to see this damn thing!

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 09:45:06 AM »
I'd like to know how the audio compared to what we say on that 360 vision performance of 6:00. Because I think that sounded pretty questionable in the vocals department.

Really?? I liked those vocals even better than Score. Nowadays he uses so much more distortion and emotion. As long as they don't use tuning on his voice, I have no doubt this will be one of his best recordings.

Let it all GOOOOoooOOOOAHOhaooOoHHAOOOOOOOo

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 09:47:41 AM »
Thanks for the review but bull fuckin shit that they skipped over Dream is Collapsing and the intro animation, that was one of the things I was looking forward to most, attached to BiTS.

I think it was a matter of paying and licensing Dream of Collapsing, why it wasnt included. Too expensive I would think

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 09:49:58 AM »
I thought this was already solved? The cartoon intro is not at the beginning of the show because it's in the bonus features, and we were told it's gonna have a different song behind it.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 10:24:10 AM »

Yeah, I kind of have to agree, at least compared to some of his better performances. That's why I'm surprised to hear that it sounds better than even Score.

Of course it's subjective, but if that ends up being the generally agreed upon opinion, I'm curious if it was overdubbed at all.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 10:40:25 AM »

Yeah, I kind of have to agree, at least compared to some of his better performances. That's why I'm surprised to hear that it sounds better than even Score.

Of course it's subjective, but if that ends up being the generally agreed upon opinion, I'm curious if it was overdubbed at all.

We haven't heard it and you're already hinting at possible overdubbing? ::)

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 10:45:13 AM »

B.Lee

"Of course it's subjective, but if that ends up being the generally agreed upon opinion, I'm curious if it was overdubbed at all."

I simply said I was curious. I am not insulting JLB. Isn't this the place where we over-analyze and speculate on everything?

Not once in my post did I insinuate that there is overdubbing. I simply asked a question and voiced a thought.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 10:45:35 AM »
Okay, I seriously need to preorder this :caffeine:

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 10:55:38 AM »

B.Lee

"Of course it's subjective, but if that ends up being the generally agreed upon opinion, I'm curious if it was overdubbed at all."

I simply said I was curious. I am not insulting JLB. Isn't this the place where we over-analyze and speculate on everything?

Not once in my post did I insinuate that there is overdubbing. I simply asked a question and voiced a thought.

"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 10:59:18 AM »

B.Lee

I didn't take it as an insult against JLB. At all. Hence my using hint and possible. Let's say we misunderstood each other. If that makes sense whatsoever. Friends? ;D

B.Lee

EDIT : sorry! Double post.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 11:03:01 AM »

Yeah, curious why Spacebar would cite LAB and CIM but not Score when comparing JLB's performance??

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 11:31:48 AM »
I hope your opinion about James' performance happens to be general fact. Can't wait.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 11:38:08 AM »

Yeah, curious why Spacebar would cite LAB and CIM but not Score when comparing JLB's performance??

I was wondering the same thing.  LAB was clearly not his best performance. I think I even remember reading somewhere that he felt out of all the dates for that leg of the tour, his voice was off the most that night.  Score trumps them all as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 11:45:30 AM »
@BertlieLee Yeah, we're cool  :hat     :D

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 01:56:55 PM »
@BertlieLee Yeah, we're cool  :hat     :D

:metal

B.Lee

Offline Spacebar.

• Yarr...
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 02:44:34 PM »

I personally feel James is miles ahead of his performance on Score. That performance, though good, was quite shrill in parts and sounded a bit jarring and strained, whereas, on Luna Park he has really come a long way and is more emotive and more aware of his register and range.

Not too sure about the overdubbing. Obviously, multiple viewings will be needed to confirm that for not only James, but the others in the band too. Perhaps a question for their DTF hangout?

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 03:46:44 PM »
I thought this was already solved? The cartoon intro is not at the beginning of the show because it's in the bonus features, and we were told it's gonna have a different song behind it.

Ok who was in charge of the art on this.. I bet it was syme... Can't even put a capital 'W' In 'Caught In A web'

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 04:06:34 PM »
About how long is the theater version?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 04:08:31 PM »

I think it was a matter of paying and licensing Dream of Collapsing, why it wasnt included. Too expensive I would think

I thought so but ffs if that's the problem then just make the product more expensive, this was really epic and one of the biggest highlights of the ADoTE tour stage production.
It reminds me of Fox being too cheap to buy the right to Married With Children's intro song Love & Marriage by Frank Sinatra on the DVDs and instead replacing it with a lame piece. Obscure reference heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.