Author Topic: Chat with the members of Dream Theater September 24, 2013! (WITH URL)  (Read 73548 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Chat with the members of Dream Theater September 24, 2013!
« Reply #140 on: September 20, 2013, 09:37:33 AM »
Maybe this has been asked but:

"Do you guys plan on playing False Awakening Suite live or play it as an intro tape?"
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #141 on: September 20, 2013, 10:35:16 AM »
Consider this question: What are you willing to die for?

You just want them to say Zydar.  ;)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #142 on: September 20, 2013, 10:36:04 AM »
Maybe this has been asked but:

"Do you guys plan on playing False Awakening Suite live or play it as an intro tape?"
They're going to play it as an intro tape.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: September 20, 2013, 11:23:48 AM »
JP, it really feels like you've hit a zenith with the production of Dream Theater. In the future if one of the other band members showed an interest would you relinquish the producer role to them?
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #144 on: September 20, 2013, 02:40:32 PM »
Question for John Petrucci:
- You have been an endorser of Music Man for almost 15 years now, and Ibanez before that. Consider this question (pun intented):
If Music Man or Ibanez didn´t exist, are there any other guitar companies that you are a big fan of that you would have concidered? And, do you own any guitars from other companies that you really like?

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: September 20, 2013, 03:09:48 PM »
Even though I have logged 2 questions, scrub the second one about You Not Me, as I have tonight received e-mail notification that even though I ordered my copy of the new CD direct from the DT website, I will not be receiving my copy on release day becaue "Unfortunately there has been a delay in delivery, but not to worry your order is on it's way."
Are the band aware there own record label can't get fans copies on release day.
I ordered the day the pre order appeared on the DT website.
To say I'm pissed is an understatement.
Any chance the band can comment?

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2013, 03:28:30 PM »
Dang! I hope that doesn't happen to me. Hope they knock off the shipping cost for you. That's crazy especially if you ordered it the day it was posted. I just ordered from amazon two days ago and so far it still says it should be here on the release day (24th for me).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2013, 03:57:42 PM »
Any chance the band can comment?

Unlikely.  That would be a question for the distribution company.  I doubt the band knows anything at all about anything related to the preorders.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #148 on: September 21, 2013, 12:59:06 PM »
Let me think of a great, original question...

Is it often that you, the members of Dream Theater, find inspiration while listening to music from your own solo albums?

And another, for John Petrucci:

We now know that the lyrics of all but one song were written by you. Was there ever a time when you asked your fellow members if they might write lyrics to any of the songs, where they refused?
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »

Consider this question: What are you willing to die for?

What are you willing to kill for?  Oh yeah....salmon....nevermind.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 01:21:08 PM by AngelBack »
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #150 on: September 21, 2013, 08:47:25 PM »
Two songs associated with former keyboardists, Eve and Anna Lee, have been absent from setlists for a LOOOONNNNGGGG time.  Any chance of either one (or both) making a return?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2013, 06:42:26 AM »
To all the members:

"Is there anything from your past you either regret doing or just laugh at. Whether it's a musical idea in a song, something you do on live DVD or even a haircut?"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #152 on: September 22, 2013, 08:08:32 AM »
To all the members.  Do you see yourself touring like Rush is into their 60's?

(I hope so with the evening with as well!)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #153 on: September 22, 2013, 08:15:58 AM »
are you going to perform the full album live or just selected songs?
and another one
do you know the facebook page meme theater? it's really funny you should check it out.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #154 on: September 22, 2013, 08:55:21 AM »
Question for John Myung. Why did you stop contributing lyrics for a period and what made you get involved again after Mike Portnoy's departure. Was it simply to cover for the loss of Mike's lyrics or something else.

Question for the band. Are the setlists done yet? As it's the longer shows, would be great to hear Octavarium close one set and Illumination Theory close the other. Both such epic songs to finish on.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #155 on: September 22, 2013, 11:37:51 AM »
1. Is the band aware of how revered John Myung's lyrics are and does that put any pressure on him when writing them, or the band to dedicate a song(s) to his lyrics?

+1

2. Just a reminder....St. Louis is that city in between Chicago and Kansas City that would make a great spot to swing by while on the way from one to the other.

+2....where do you live?  I'm in the CWE.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jsbru

« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2013, 12:26:15 PM »
Some versions of this have already been asked, but:

1. Do you have any plans to further develop the "easter egg"/hidden track from Illumination Theory?  Like making an entire song out of it...or maybe a concept album based on that kind of mood?  Just so you know, it would be incredibly cruel to give us such a tiny taste of something so beautiful, and than say "no, you can't have anymore ever again!"  ;)

2. After Kevin Moore left, the band generally moved toward more of a heavier, busier, more rhythmic guitar-driven sound, and away from the synth/bass-driven atmospheric and sometimes minimalistic but intricate harmonic/melodiousness/poeticness of I&W/Awake (there are exceptions in either direction, of course).  Was this a result of Moore leaving, or was it more that the band wanted to go in that direction anyhow?  After all, it was your more heavier songs that seemed to get the widest appeal (Pull Me Under, Lie, Caught in a Web), despite your early promotion of Take The Time and Another Day.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #157 on: September 22, 2013, 01:12:45 PM »
1. At the recent listening party in London, I asked whether you might do something to mark the 15th anniversary of Scenes From A Memory. To take it one step further: in celebration of the band's 30th anniversary in a couple of years' time (or at any other point in your career), would you consider organising a live event along the lines of Coheed and Cambria's 'Neverender' series, as part of which you would play all your studio albums over a ten-day/two-week period?

2. It's the year 2033: if you could pick a single moment from your career to tell the grandchildren about, what it would be? 

(3. Please could you email me the setlists from each night of the upcoming tour to make my life easier?)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #158 on: September 23, 2013, 02:50:24 AM »
Second question: 

Are there any other legendary venues you want to check off your bucket list?  For instance, Hollywood Bowl, or Boston's Esplanade?

Offline andrewt67

« Reply #159 on: September 23, 2013, 06:05:43 AM »
How do you intend to bring the orchestral parts of "Illumination Theory" to the live environment ?

Which album would you consider to be your best, and why ?

Finally, new album rocks guys - thanks for taking the time.

Offline metropofreak

• I like turtles
« Reply #160 on: September 23, 2013, 09:49:43 AM »
For MM and JR: Is there any chance that a drum or keyboard book for the new album will be released in the future?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #161 on: September 23, 2013, 11:11:32 AM »
Question 1: JP: When it comes to soloing, do you prefer to improvise and work off of what you come up with on the fly, or do you prefer to compose solos beforehand and learn them from there? Any specific examples of what method was used on some fan-favorite solos (Best of Times, Under a Glass Moon, Spirit Carries On to name a few)?

Question 2: Any chance of more "album anniversary" shows where the album is played in full? Just saying, SFAM's 15th would be next year... :D
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #162 on: September 23, 2013, 11:16:25 AM »

Question 2: Any chance of more "album anniversary" shows where the album is played in full? Just saying, SFAM's 15th would be next year... :D

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=13887.msg1681240#msg1681240

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #163 on: September 23, 2013, 11:27:59 AM »
When making the self-titled album did you guys record any B-sides or cover songs to release, and are there any cover songs that you like to play just for fun in rehearsals?

You guys have released the last two Dream Theater albums as instrumental mixes.  Do you think you will release instrumental versions of the tracks from the new self titled album?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #164 on: September 23, 2013, 11:29:42 AM »

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=13887.msg1681240#msg1681240
I just urinated slightly.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #165 on: September 23, 2013, 12:37:24 PM »
From a fan's perspective, I am very excited to see my favorite band taking part in such a fan-oriented endeavor.

From a mod's perspective, I am very proud to be a member of this forum, and proud of all of the enthusiasm shown by its members and the great questions you guys have contributed.

Can't wait for this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #166 on: September 23, 2013, 12:38:47 PM »
All questions sent to me via PM have been submitted.  Any other questions should be posted in this thread, since I am going to be tied up between now and the chat and probably will not see anything sent to me before the chat happens.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2013, 12:42:22 PM »
From a capitalist's perspective.. this world we live in is magnificent, holy crap.

To prove it, Dream Theater exists.

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #168 on: September 23, 2013, 12:52:08 PM »
Thank you bosk for this opportunity!
First i would like to congratulate the band for releasing a great album!

question 1:What changed at the dynamics of the band,the mood or the chemistry compared to the ADTOE recording process?
question 2:You know that in Greece you have a loyal following.Would you consider coming to Greece again despite the economic carnage of the crisis?

Thank you so much!

Offline tweeg

« Reply #169 on: September 23, 2013, 02:14:11 PM »
This is so cool!!

1. To each of the guys, and not counting anything off of the new album, which song are you most proud of?

2. Is the melody in the instrumental break of Lifting Shadows Off a Dream a variation on the Space Dye Vest melody or am I just hearing things  :lol

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #170 on: September 23, 2013, 02:36:24 PM »
2. Is the melody in the instrumental break of Lifting Shadows Off a Dream a variation on the Space Dye Vest melody or am I just hearing things  :lol

:omg: I HEAR IT NOW! I don't know if it was intentional, but it definitely has a similar ring, at least at the beginning of it.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #171 on: September 23, 2013, 02:44:37 PM »
Great that this is happening!

1. What is your typical day like while you're on tour? (What I'm especially interested in: Do you visit the cities you play in or is there no time for being a "tourist" because the schedule is so tight? And what do you do on days without a show?)

I'm not sure if that counts as one or two questions, so I'm going to leave it at that.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #172 on: September 23, 2013, 03:00:22 PM »
My question is for James.... Was their really a live chicken in your underwear during the recent blooper reel with John or is that just a rumor?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #173 on: September 23, 2013, 04:46:55 PM »
Let's go ahead and cut the questions there. We have more than enough for 45-60 minutes worth of material, and of course, I'm sure the band will have comments of their own to interject.

I've spoken with everyone in the band and they're good to go. I'll see you all on the air tomorrow!

~W~
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #174 on: September 23, 2013, 04:52:43 PM »
 :metal