314 (46.3%)
Decent
98 (14.5%)
Meh
41 (6%)
Disappointing
41 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 647

Author Topic: What are your thoughts on DT12?  (Read 155615 times)

Offline aprilethereal

Re: What are your thoughts on DT12?
« Reply #1015 on: January 12, 2014, 04:30:05 AM »
Before this thread I didn't know what HAKEN is.

Also that Cockroach King song is outright awful.

Doesn't sound legit

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #1016 on: January 12, 2014, 09:25:28 AM »
Haken is right now doing better music than Dream Theater as far as I'm concerned. It's more entertaining and inspired. DT sounds suffocated and close-minded when I compare it to Haken in my head.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1017 on: January 12, 2014, 09:42:44 AM »
Don't ever tell people what's in your head! :lol

Haken definitely has a fresh take right now but I'm still loving DT's albums.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #1018 on: January 12, 2014, 09:55:59 AM »
When I saw Maiden in Kansas City last summer I sat next to a guy from Omaha who was a huge DT fan and he kept talking to me about this awesome band he loved called Haken.  I'd never heard of them at that point, but he thought they were the best thing ever.  Seeing all the Haken love on this board makes me wonder if that guy is here on this board somewhere....  :huh:

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #1019 on: January 12, 2014, 10:15:09 AM »
I think Haken deserves all of the praise they get, no doubt. Their music is extremely fresh and inspiring and combines so many different genres and styles seamlessly; it's the most interesting prog to be made in a long time, in my opinion, and breathes some new life into what kind of atmospheres can be created with progressive music. Especially with The Mountain.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 12:23:31 PM by Lucidity »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1020 on: January 12, 2014, 10:57:09 AM »

I'd love to know how anyone thought that the vocal section that starts around 6:10 was a good idea.  That is one of those "I can't believe they recorded that and put it in a song" moments.  Sad, too, cause musically the song is good, but the corniness of pretty much all of the vocal sections just makes the song not good.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1021 on: January 12, 2014, 12:17:24 PM »
I've heard 1 or 2 Haken songs before and just listened to Cockroach King (inspired by this thread). Not my kind of music...

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1022 on: January 12, 2014, 01:29:08 PM »
Cockroach King definitely is polarizing, so go try Atlas Stone, or, for more DT influence, Falling Back to Earth. Visions is also very good.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1023 on: January 12, 2014, 05:21:59 PM »

I'd love to know how anyone thought that the vocal section that starts around 6:10 was a good idea.  That is one of those "I can't believe they recorded that and put it in a song" moments.  Sad, too, cause musically the song is good, but the corniness of pretty much all of the vocal sections just makes the song not good.
Agreed completely. It's one of those moments where, even though I hate this attitude, I just have to tear my cans off, or else put something else on.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1024 on: January 12, 2014, 05:26:41 PM »

Well, DT has various moments like that too  :P
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1025 on: January 12, 2014, 05:36:54 PM »
So...... what?

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1026 on: January 12, 2014, 06:17:56 PM »
Yeah, so I heard Dream Theater released a new album a couple of months ago, it's pretty neat. I'm really curious about what song they'll play on the upcoming tour.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1027 on: January 13, 2014, 02:02:41 AM »
Cockroach King definitely is polarizing, so go try Atlas Stone, or, for more DT influence, Falling Back to Earth. Visions is also very good.
I've heard Visions already, but it didn't really blow me away. I guess their music is just too wacky for my taste.

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #1028 on: January 14, 2014, 12:49:56 AM »
It was an "Instant Classic' for me. :tup It has become my most played album out of all the music i have from different bands. It made my 2013 wonderful and I'm not bored with. This is how every album should me made. People who are not listening to it due to any reason are missing on the best album. It's their loss so no worries. And I'm happy that I'm not that one unlucky.   :xbones
I thanked everyone again and again on twitter to every band member, so now here's again a big thank you to Dream Theater for a masterpiece album, you guys are fucking amazing, you guys saved me in my darkest hour. This album is gonna make a history and you, I, ours kids gonna love it for sure. They're gonna play DT12 even in 2112 and beyond.
I wish i have 12 thumbs to say thumbs up for DT12. :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1029 on: January 14, 2014, 12:52:58 AM »
Love your enthusiasm - and welcome.

I can't say that I play DT12 all the time but I  haven't tired of it - certainly in my Top 5 DT albums.   I just wish it didn't sound so shite when played back to back with I&W , FII etc...
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline adastra

« Reply #1030 on: January 14, 2014, 01:36:14 AM »
It was an "Instant Classic' for me. :tup It has become my most played album out of all the music i have from different bands. It made my 2013 wonderful and I'm not bored with. This is how every album should me made. People who are not listening to it due to any reason are missing on the best album. It's their loss so no worries. And I'm happy that I'm not that one unlucky.   :xbones
I thanked everyone again and again on twitter to every band member, so now here's again a big thank you to Dream Theater for a masterpiece album, you guys are fucking amazing, you guys saved me in my darkest hour. This album is gonna make a history and you, I, ours kids gonna love it for sure. They're gonna play DT12 even in 2112 and beyond.
I wish i have 12 thumbs to say thumbs up for DT12. :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

Nice to hear that you like the album and welcome! :D

I'd love to  like the album, but it just doesn't do anything to me :(
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline haceeb

• I am bent, not broken
« Reply #1031 on: January 14, 2014, 01:39:25 AM »

Nice to hear that you like the album and welcome! :D

I'd love to  like the album, but it just doesn't do anything to me :(

thanks, it will someday don't worry  ;D

Offline haceeb

• I am bent, not broken
« Reply #1032 on: January 14, 2014, 02:00:20 AM »

I can't say that I play DT12 all the time but I  haven't tired of it - certainly in my Top 5 DT albums.   I just wish it didn't sound so shite when played back to back with I&W , FII etc...

thanks and it didn't sound shit  :D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1033 on: January 14, 2014, 02:17:31 AM »

I was referring to the production quality , not the songs.  Get a crystal clear CD like Falling Into Infinity or Images and Words and play it back to back with Dt12 on a good stereo and you'll notice the difference.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline haceeb

• I am bent, not broken
« Reply #1034 on: January 14, 2014, 02:22:07 AM »

i will try  :metal
I was referring to the production quality , not the songs.  Get a crystal clear CD like Falling Into Infinity or Images and Words and play it back to back with Dt12 on a good stereo and you'll notice the difference.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #1035 on: January 14, 2014, 08:51:24 AM »

Yaaaaaaaaaay!!!!! Welcome to the family Haceeb!!! Agree with everything you said, the album is beyond awesome!!!!

Offline haceeb

• I am bent, not broken
« Reply #1036 on: January 14, 2014, 01:09:24 PM »

Yaaaaaaaaaay!!!!! Welcome to the family Haceeb!!! Agree with everything you said, the album is beyond awesome!!!!
thank you! Yes indeed :)

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #1037 on: January 14, 2014, 03:05:49 PM »

This! :) I listened to this album almost every day for a month and then still kept listening to it regulary for another month or two and it was still fresh and awesome definitely top 3 album for me. Nowadays it isn't as fresh anymore but it's still awesome.

Yeah production could be better but it's not as bad as some people say it's okay IMO.

Offline haceeb

• I am bent, not broken
« Reply #1038 on: January 14, 2014, 04:05:09 PM »

This! :) I listened to this album almost every day for a month and then still kept listening to it regulary for another month or two and it was still fresh and awesome definitely top 3 album for me. Nowadays it isn't as fresh anymore but it's still awesome.

Yeah production could be better but it's not as bad as some people say it's okay IMO.
True, only few tracks are my favorite in any band's album but all tracks are my favorite in DT12.....it never happened before. :)

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1039 on: January 14, 2014, 04:12:17 PM »
They're gonna play DT12 even in 2112 and beyond.
It's a recurring shower fantasy of mine how much I envy those people who'll listen to 2112 in 2112.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1040 on: January 14, 2014, 04:58:52 PM »
It's a recurring shower fantasy of mine how much I envy those people who'll listen to 2112 in 2112.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline haceeb

• I am bent, not broken
« Reply #1041 on: January 14, 2014, 05:27:09 PM »
same here  >:(

Offline davidolson22

« Reply #1042 on: January 14, 2014, 06:54:18 PM »

Weird, I fantasize about totally different stuff in the shower.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1043 on: January 14, 2014, 08:00:22 PM »

By then, the Priests won't have time for those ancient ways! The computers of the hallowed halls of the Temples of Syrinx will set what music and media people will listen to. There won't even be any guitars!!!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline haceeb

• I am bent, not broken
« Reply #1044 on: January 14, 2014, 09:05:14 PM »

By then, the Priests won't have time for those ancient ways! The computers of the hallowed halls of the Temples of Syrinx will set what music and media people will listen to. There won't even be any guitars!!!

-Marc.
scary man scary  :omg: we should bury Dream Theater discographies at different locations around the world for future generations

Offline m0hawk

« Reply #1045 on: January 15, 2014, 12:16:08 AM »
If they dropped Surrender To Reason and Along For The Ride from the album, it would be MUCH better, I reckon! Sure, we'd have a 50 minute album, but all the fat would be trimmed. Perhaps something like this:

1. False Awakening Suite
2. The Enemy Inside
3. Enigma Machine
4. The Bigger Picture
5. Behind The Veil
6. The Looking Glass
7. Illumination Theory

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1046 on: January 15, 2014, 01:56:11 AM »
If they dropped Surrender To Reason and Along For The Ride from the album, it would be MUCH better, I reckon! Sure, we'd have a 50 minute album, but all the fat would be trimmed. Perhaps something like this:

It would be their top3 worst album on par with BC&SL and WDADU for me then.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline adastra

« Reply #1047 on: January 15, 2014, 02:22:49 AM »

1. False Awakening Suite
2. The Enemy Inside
3. Enigma Machine
4. The Bigger Picture
5. Behind The Veil
6. The Looking Glass
7. Illumination Theory

More like, If they dropped Enigmachine It wouldn't be the worst DT album :D
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1048 on: January 15, 2014, 05:13:15 AM »

1. False Awakening Suite
2. The Enemy Inside
3. Enigma Machine
4. The Bigger Picture
5. Behind The Veil
6. The Looking Glass
7. Illumination Theory

Both Surrender to Reason and Along For The Ride own the hell out of TLG and Enigma Machine.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1049 on: January 15, 2014, 09:04:47 AM »
I got the album at Christmas and it's been on regular rotation in my car since.

Maybe I'm getting old or something but I'm not feeling the magic as much. I still thinks it's a strong album though but it does kind of feel a bit formulaic.

I like IT as the stand out track. But, as nice as the string section is I don't understand why it's there other than - because they can put it there.

I don't think it's the worst but I prefer ADTOE.

Do not get me going on the production. It's suffocating. ADTOE had better production. I preferred the tone of the guitar and the drum sound. The constant "pshht" sound on the snare on DT12 is a bit distracting for me. All the toms (not the octo wotsits - the kit toms) seem to sound the same pitch.

Good - not great - not bad.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer