314 (46.3%)
Decent
98 (14.5%)
Meh
41 (6%)
Disappointing
41 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 647

Author Topic: What are your thoughts on DT12?  (Read 155601 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: What are your thoughts on DT12?
« Reply #735 on: November 28, 2013, 08:45:35 AM »
They are the girls from K-ON! anime. It's a funny story about five highschool girls forming a band.

Like a female version of Beck?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #736 on: November 28, 2013, 10:25:15 AM »
Yeah, sort of a Beck but on the Seinen side. The K-ON! anime actually had a great success, cause it's appealing for a wide range of audiences, and it's very well done. Excellent drawings and animations, and it's the first anime based on the story of an all-girl band. It's very light hearted and has a lot of funny gags. You will enjoy the songs if you like J-rock (it's packed full with original songs). They've made two TV series, two extras, one OVA and a movie.

I recommend you to watch this trailer so to have an idea of what it looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5bCVTUaFvk

Side note: sorry mods for the OT, I don't do many. This time I thought it was better to answer publicly since there could be more people interested.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 10:30:51 AM by The Stray Seed »

« Reply #737 on: November 28, 2013, 10:47:49 AM »
Funny gags and J-Rock sounds right up my alley, thanks for the recommendation!

But yeah, back on topic, DT 12 is awesome. Their best album in a long time.

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #738 on: November 28, 2013, 01:26:13 PM »
Funny gags great, J-Rock not so fond of it, but as long as it's not overtly cheesy it's fine :D

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
  • You're just like a motorcycle, too tired
« Reply #739 on: November 28, 2013, 11:37:10 PM »
Well... first of all thank you for taking the time to write so much! Your post made me think again of how varied is DT fanbase =)

Since this thread kicked off I've been one of the most convinced fans of this album. Because actually, to me DT12 is a true masterpiece, the album I was waiting for ten years, but I won't say again why, cause I'd be a little redundant.

On the other hand, Octavarium - that you seem to like a lot - is one of the few DT albums I hardly ever listen to (with the obvious exception of the wonderful title track), so I think it's just a matter of fans' taste and expectations.

My theory is the following: DT12 is different from the former albums. The last few albums (even ADTOE) rely on technical showmanship and musical prowess and are packed full with pretty long songs, while this one is built on catchy, well outlined melodies and is much more focused on songwriting. So if you were expecting/if you are fan of the first compositive style, you will less likely get into this album.
Haha and thank you for your thanks/your welcome!

Yeah, I do have to give the band credit for making a much concise and compact effort, which seems to be of the common criticisms I see tossed at them.

I actually rarely listen to Octavarium as well. Aside from WDADU and now DT12, I would probably place it in the bottom as well. I'd figured it was the best comparison I could make to another album of theirs - both, for me, have a few great songs, a few throwaways/songs I'll never listen to again, and then end on a fantastic high note. I just think that the highs on DT12 are no match for the highs on Octavarium. Though, DT12 doesn't have Never Enough at least, so the lows are no match either :lol
"Hey guys" - Gregg Turkington

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #740 on: November 29, 2013, 03:30:19 PM »
I enjoy the Djent-ish riffs JP plays.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #741 on: November 29, 2013, 04:06:55 PM »
I don't know whether this has been discussed, but I take it STR is based musically and topically on Rush's Natural Science?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline userx

« Reply #742 on: November 30, 2013, 04:18:13 AM »
I can now officially state that I like every single song on the new album, even EM and TEI. Also, while some have stated discontent with the sound of the drums, I can honestly say that I'm infatuated with them. They are "beefy" in a way. Very, very elaborate. You can almost whistle to them or sing to them alone so MM did a fantastic job here after the disappointment of ADTOE. Also, I rate DT12 higher than at the beginning and would now have it among the instant classics. thanks DT :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 04:23:35 AM by userx »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #743 on: November 30, 2013, 08:58:45 AM »
I don't know whether this has been discussed, but I take it STR is based musically and topically on Rush's Natural Science?

What?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #744 on: November 30, 2013, 09:09:45 AM »

The only thing I know about STR is that it's officially my favorite song on the album. BTV and IT took turns there but their allure wore off and in the end the overall greatness of STR won me over. I just find it to be a beautiful song, no matter what the influence behind it was.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #745 on: November 30, 2013, 09:15:26 AM »

The songs have basically nothing in common.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #746 on: November 30, 2013, 10:05:32 AM »
What I think Rumbo is saying it that JP's tone on the guitar solo plus the bass line has a tone and style to Permanent Waves.  I see it but it's an ode.  That solo is very Lifesonesque.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #747 on: November 30, 2013, 10:46:16 AM »
The guitar in the background that starts at 0:25 is also very Natural Science, and the acoustic guitar section after that as well. And topic, is well, "science-y". And yeah, solo is total Lifeson.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: December 01, 2013, 01:00:32 AM »
I think the albums you love instantly are the ones that have little longevity. I think ADTOE will fare better in the long run.

While DT12 is mostly great - there are a couple of songs that I don't really care for - which isn't the case on ADTOE.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: December 01, 2013, 05:46:53 AM »
I think the albums you love instantly are the ones that have little longevity. I think ADTOE will fare better in the long run.

While DT12 is mostly great - there are a couple of songs that I don't really care for - which isn't the case on ADTOE.

I agree with all of this.  The opening suite and TEM are skippable but I like the rest a ton but I put ADTOE slightly ahead.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #750 on: December 01, 2013, 06:41:43 AM »
ADTOE is definitely the stronger of the two.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #751 on: December 01, 2013, 06:48:50 AM »
The first three tracks on ADTOE are on skip-status for me. Can't agree with it being a stronger album.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #752 on: December 01, 2013, 07:40:28 AM »

I agree with all of this.  The opening suite and TEM are skippable but I like the rest a ton but I put ADTOE slightly ahead.
Where did this The Enigma Machine epidemic come from? Although it would be kinda fun, as I could just say "Thenigmachine." Has a nice ring to it, just like "Brundlefly."

While it's one of the most rewarding musical experiences when an album you didn't care for at the first few listens evolves to become a favorite, it doesn't really affect longevity for me. Among my all-time favorite albums, there are some that I instantly fell in love with (actually, the vast majority) and some that were huge growers. I think longevity lies elsewhere. Depth, multiple layers and versatility are key factors and just because I liked an album when hearing it for the first time, doesn't mean it won't be offering a plethora of new experiences later on.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #753 on: December 01, 2013, 08:02:48 AM »
"Thenigmachine."

If I were you, I would never say this again.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: December 01, 2013, 08:13:50 AM »

Where did this The Enigma Machine epidemic come from? Although it would be kinda fun, as I could just say "Thenigmachine." Has a nice ring to it, just like "Brundlefly."

While it's one of the most rewarding musical experiences when an album you didn't care for at the first few listens evolves to become a favorite, it doesn't really affect longevity for me. Among my all-time favorite albums, there are some that I instantly fell in love with (actually, the vast majority) and some that were huge growers. I think longevity lies elsewhere. Depth, multiple layers and versatility are key factors and just because I liked an album when hearing it for the first time, doesn't mean it won't be offering a plethora of new experiences later on.

Sometimes a song doesn't click even with a DT fan like me.  i just think other instrumentals are better and oops on the "The"
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 06:59:05 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #755 on: December 01, 2013, 08:26:55 AM »
For my personal taste, DT12 is miles ahead of ADTOE.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #756 on: December 01, 2013, 09:25:33 AM »
I’ve had some time to let DT12 sink in, and I must say this is a beautiful and amazing release. I’ve been a fan since 2003 when Train of Thought came out my freshman year of high school. This is the kind of album I’ve been hoping for since 2006 (I still love TOT thru ADTOE a lot!!).

This album just speaks on so many levels while always having an awesome turn to take in a moments notice. Can't wait to see how they pull off the tracks live. Hopefully they get really theatrical with it, especially IT.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 09:38:21 PM by Plasmastrike »

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #757 on: December 01, 2013, 11:39:01 AM »
I was listening to DT12 almost every day at least once for a few months then I gave it a little break for a week or so and today I listened to the full album fully concentrated in dark room and it's incredible. Illumination Theory might become my favorite DT song if it will continue to stand the test of time.

I love it not only musically but last three songs are very connected to me lyrically as well. In my current phase of my life I'm going through some harder times and I'm searching for inner peace and these three songs especially AFTR "I will not live under a shadow of fear..." verse and whole IT are really helping me to lift up my spirit.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #758 on: December 01, 2013, 03:35:40 PM »
TEI is not "aging" well for me thus far. I'm liking it less and less every time I hear it. It's just so "predictable" for a DT song, but at least it's right at the beginning of the album so it's out of the way quickly.  :D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: December 01, 2013, 08:27:38 PM »
For my personal taste, DT12 is miles ahead of ADTOE.

I'd go as far as saying lightyears ahead.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #760 on: December 01, 2013, 08:36:39 PM »
ADTOE is like a beautiful grill, and DT12 is like the grill Homer made.  :lol

(Ignore the modern art aspect of the episode.)  :P
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #761 on: December 01, 2013, 09:38:41 PM »
For me ADTOE is the more consistently enjoyable album, but DT12 has much higher high points imo, being the less safe of the two. I can see how people could prefer one over the other, because I think they're quite different albums.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: December 01, 2013, 10:26:54 PM »
Agreed on the latter point. It's fascinating how split the opinions of those two albums are.

ADTOE > DT12 for me.

Offline N4Player

« Reply #763 on: December 02, 2013, 12:52:37 AM »
I'm still listening to the album. Out of all DT albums, this one has been the biggest 'grower' and taken the longest for me to assess where it stands initially. The stuff I hated before has grown on me a lot more and now I really enjoy the album start to finish. The instrumentals are still not as good as I hoped and IT isn't as epic to me as I would have liked, but the strong points on the album are some of DT's best work ever. This album has risen in my rankings to above the mid-pack. Cannot wait to see how the songs translate live.

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
  • You're just like a motorcycle, too tired
« Reply #764 on: December 02, 2013, 03:08:53 PM »
Odd man out here. I found myself in love with ADTOE on the first listen and the longevity hasn't been affected. BAI and LNF alone are much more for me than anything on DT12. Spun it today and it was still as good as I remembered. Since my last post, I've been listening to DT12 more and more hoping it'll grow on me like it has for others, but it's been up and down. Don't want to get to the point where I have to force myself to like it. Will say that while the songs I'm not feeling, The Bigger Picture in particular, I like even less, STR has been getting better and better with each listen. IT is a strange one for me now, though - I'll listen to it once and feel like it wasn't as good as I thought, and then I'll listen to it again and be completely dazzled and enthralled.
"Hey guys" - Gregg Turkington

Offline metrojam

« Reply #765 on: December 02, 2013, 03:15:12 PM »
As time goes on and I listen to DT 12 more, the lower it goes down on my list of DT's albums. I would now rank this in about 9th or 10th place and certainly way below ADTOE. Biggest musical disappointment of the year for me.

Offline adastra

« Reply #766 on: December 02, 2013, 11:20:32 PM »
After lots and lots of listening. I have to say that the album hasn't aged (If you can already talk about aging) very well for me ._. 
When the album first came out I was so hyped that It felt like the best album ever.

But I still think that the best section in the whole album is the Orchestral trip on Illumination Theory... But the rest of the song doesn't do anything to me... to my it feels like a long jam or something.

False Awakening Suite is just confusing.. there is so much stuff in that short song. It left me confused the first I still listened to it.. And it still does!
thenigmachine  is worst song on the album and worst song by DT.

But yeah, there are couple of highlights for me.. That Orchestral section, Along For The Ride and The Looking Glass.
Rest just doesn't do anything for me.

I wanted to like this album so much but I don't know... I hope that someday I learn to appreciate it like so many others do.
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

« Reply #767 on: December 02, 2013, 11:57:45 PM »

thenigmachine  is best song on the album and best instrumental by DT.

FTFY

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #768 on: December 02, 2013, 11:59:22 PM »
I really can't join in on the hype for that song. I find Enigma Machine to be one of the most boring things they've ever written.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #769 on: December 03, 2013, 12:05:29 AM »
I really can't join in on the hype for that song. I find Enigma Machine to be one of the most boring things they've ever written.
Yup. Not nearly as bad as Raw Dog, but really uninteresting.