314 (46.3%)
Decent
98 (14.5%)
Meh
41 (6%)
Disappointing
41 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 647

Author Topic: What are your thoughts on DT12?  (Read 156428 times)

Offline jakepriest

Re: What are your thoughts on DT12?
« Reply #805 on: December 11, 2013, 02:50:10 PM »
It pains me to say it, but I made an edit of Illumination Theory - in which I cut out pretty much the entire ambient and string section - and it has made it a much better song for me. It now flows a lot better and is a very solid track of 17:50 mins.

I would love if you could share this somehow. I cba to skip the boring part everytime I listen to the song.  :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #806 on: December 11, 2013, 02:59:34 PM »
Anybody else thought the lyrics on this album come off as overly submissive in content? Sorry if it was already discussed but I haven't seen lyrics talk.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #807 on: December 11, 2013, 03:16:40 PM »
After listening to DT12 many, many times, I can say the "problem" (for me) with this record, is I don't feel the NEED to sing the songs. It doesn't move me at all. I can't say anything negative about it musically, it's obviously a great job, but it's kind of cold. This short song format, doesn't work for me. Maybe Mangini was "unleashed", but the others don't. IMHO.

I'm total opposite. I cant stop singing the whole album. I think TLG and TEI are catchy as hell. TBP is a great sing-along. Obviously AFTR and BTV are great to sing to, and even Live, Die, Kill from IT is great. Love it all!!!

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #808 on: December 12, 2013, 08:42:14 AM »
The Enemy Inside is incredibly catchy and I sing along every time.  :metal

The only other parts I sing along is the "Restless angels" part and "Live Die Kill" tbh.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #809 on: December 12, 2013, 05:01:28 PM »
James shines on this album. I'm so bummed out that The Bigger Picture wasn't somehow nominated for a Grammy. That song is one of the best songs JP has ever written. The ending melody after the solo piano part is one of DT's best moments melodically and one of James's best moments vocally. So simple yet so strong.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released through my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios
www.starcommandstudios.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #810 on: December 12, 2013, 08:35:01 PM »
TBP is the only song on the album I don't like one bit, so I'm glad that one wasn't nominated. I think TEI is the best choice from the album for this situation.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #811 on: December 13, 2013, 05:15:29 AM »
TBP is the only song on the album I don't like one bit, so I'm glad that one wasn't nominated. I think TEI is the best choice from the album for this situation.

I don't understand how you could like Enigma Machine or Along For The Ride over TBP.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #812 on: December 13, 2013, 05:22:45 AM »
I much prefer those to TBP. I just find them more interesting - TBP doesn't seem to go anywhere...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #813 on: December 13, 2013, 05:29:50 AM »

I don't understand how you could like Enigma Machine or Along For The Ride over TBP.

And I don't understand what people like about TBP, but each to their own I say!
TBP for me just isn't a memorable song at all, and doesn't have a distinctive style or feel to it, or any standout sections. All I could recall of it is literally just the part where JLB sings "The Bigger Picture". :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #814 on: December 13, 2013, 05:30:41 AM »
Screw you guys, The Bigger Picture kicks ass.  That ending is beautiful, man.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #815 on: December 13, 2013, 05:49:29 AM »
or any standout sections.

But... the outro is amazing D:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #816 on: December 13, 2013, 07:09:14 AM »
Screw you guys, The Bigger Picture kicks ass.  That ending is beautiful, man.

:hifive:
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: December 13, 2013, 05:47:27 PM »
The heavy verse on TBP is one of my fav moments on the album, it's amazing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #818 on: December 13, 2013, 06:03:31 PM »
The more I listen to DT12 the more I appreciate every song. It's clear they made an effort to 'trim the fat' on these songs rather than have the obligatory 4-5 minutes of just 'DT wankery' in their songs. Not that I didn't/don't like some DT wankery but the awesome thing about DT12 to me is that they just give us concise, well arranged songs with no BS and incredible musicianship.

The lyrics are inspiring....the melodies are beautiful and they all sound great! I love MM's playing because he plays these technical fills/beats....I'm not a drummer so I don't know the terminology.....but he plays his parts so effortlessly that you can fail to realize just how difficult it is what he's doing and how awesome it is as well.

I'm sold....and a firm believer that DT12 is an album that Dream Theater can point to and say...."That's Us"

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #819 on: December 13, 2013, 06:16:52 PM »
^ all of this!! =] really nice post!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #820 on: December 13, 2013, 07:02:21 PM »
The whole album is still amazing. Its got what I feel was missing since 6DOIT,  uplifting melodies. I find myself singing along to all the tracks.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #821 on: December 14, 2013, 05:36:25 AM »
Although i still think it's an average album, i have to say i love some of MM's drumming on this album, especially on TLG and IT.
Some stuff that he does with the cymbals and you can notice on the left and right channel makes my brain very alerted and happy at the same time.

Also, the solo section on TLG with the bass is one of the grooviest of DT's history i think, with the great JM tone and the drumming locking perfectly.

Let's hope for a better drum production on the next album, so those cool moments are more prominent.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #822 on: December 14, 2013, 02:24:03 PM »
I like TBP because it's the only Petrucci solo I can play on my guitar.  :rollin

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #823 on: December 14, 2013, 04:04:56 PM »
The more I listen to DT12 the more I appreciate every song. It's clear they made an effort to 'trim the fat' on these songs rather than have the obligatory 4-5 minutes of just 'DT wankery' in their songs. Not that I didn't/don't like some DT wankery but the awesome thing about DT12 to me is that they just give us concise, well arranged songs with no BS and incredible musicianship.

The lyrics are inspiring....the melodies are beautiful and they all sound great! I love MM's playing because he plays these technical fills/beats....I'm not a drummer so I don't know the terminology.....but he plays his parts so effortlessly that you can fail to realize just how difficult it is what he's doing and how awesome it is as well.

I'm sold....and a firm believer that DT12 is an album that Dream Theater can point to and say...."That's Us"

All of this!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: December 17, 2013, 05:34:31 AM »
IT could in fact be the best song DT has ever done.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: December 17, 2013, 08:00:37 AM »
...if it weren't for the horrible vocal effects. It's like Chaos in Motion but in a studio.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #826 on: December 17, 2013, 11:57:59 AM »
...if it weren't for the horrible vocal effects. It's like Chaos in Motion but in a studio.

Yeah there's a lot of phasing going on with the vocals on DT12.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #827 on: December 17, 2013, 12:50:52 PM »

:hefdaddy

Offline MonagFam

« Reply #828 on: December 17, 2013, 12:53:33 PM »
[

Yeah there's a lot of phasing going on with the vocals on DT12.

Could you go into more detail on these points?

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #829 on: December 17, 2013, 01:55:19 PM »

Vocals on IT sounds from fine to awesome for me, not sure what horrible effects do you hear

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: December 17, 2013, 03:01:45 PM »
"Know the joy in liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife" ~ IT 17:28

Listen to that long note. There is so much fake vibrato, it sounds like some synthesizer instead of a human voice. It's almost unlistenable for me; same goes for most of Chaos in Motion. I'm not entirely sure what the vocal effect is but it's most noticable on the Bb, A, and G (when JLB resolves to the F, the real vibrato comes in).

It's such a shame because I really enjoy the song, but that keeps it from being as could as it could be. That's what really frustrates me.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #831 on: December 17, 2013, 03:15:05 PM »
I agree with you, Implode. I can also hear a lot of vocal effects in the "Rebels for their freedom" section. I don't think it's as bad as Chaos in Motion, which is really unlistenable, but I'd much, much rather have heard the vocals with as least effects as possible.

Offline MonagFam

« Reply #832 on: December 17, 2013, 03:16:13 PM »

Listen to that long note. There is so much fake vibrato, it sounds like some synthesizer instead of a human voice. It's almost unlistenable for me; same goes for most of Chaos in Motion. I'm not entirely sure what the vocal effect is but it's most noticable on the Bb, A, and G (when JLB resolves to the F, the real vibrato comes in).

It's such a shame because I really enjoy the song, but that keeps it from being as could as it could be. That's what really frustrates me.

I will admit that vocal sequence in and around the time is probably my least favorite on the album.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #833 on: December 17, 2013, 04:02:21 PM »

Well, now I can hear what you mean :) But I didn't even notice that up to this point and I pay a lot of attention to details in music.

Anyway it doesn't bother me at all even now that I know about it but thanks for pointing out that exact moment so I finally know what people mean when they talk about vocal effects in IT casue I've seen it on this forums before.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #834 on: December 17, 2013, 05:25:19 PM »
Anyway it doesn't bother me at all even now that I know about it but thanks for pointing out that exact moment so I finally know what people mean when they talk about vocal effects in IT casue I've seen it on this forums before.

This. Yeah, his voice is filtered, but IMO it's no different than using something like distortion on TDEN or JLMB.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: December 20, 2013, 06:08:36 AM »

Um......isn't the line 'never know that you're alive?'

Also, on that specific note, I don't hear any vibrato at all, I think it's just a mix of the production, vox and guitar.  I noticed it sounded a little funny too when I first heard it but I just think it's just the pitch of James' notes.  I love the whole section and think the vocal effects sound great and really add to the song.

The only thing is when James sings the word 'heart' at 16:57, it is notciably off pitch.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #836 on: December 20, 2013, 07:28:13 AM »

Also, on that specific note, I don't hear any vibrato at all, I think it's just a mix of the production, vox and guitar.  I noticed it sounded a little funny too when I first heard it but I just think it's just the pitch of James' notes.  I love the whole section and think the vocal effects sound great and really add to the song.

The only thing is when James sings the word 'heart' at 16:57, it is notciably off pitch.

Yes it is, he sings "never know that you're alive".

And I also agree with the underlined, wolf :tup I just love that section and the whole Illumination Theory =)) I'm so happy to be this satisfied with the new album, I hear many people on this forum saying, no wait, "stating", that DT12 is weak and all. Looks like many people completely forgot the I think/I consider/IMO thing.
If this album represents present Dream Theater's taste and direction (as one may suppose considering it's self-titled) then I really have high hopes for the future, as I truly love what they've done with DT12! :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: December 20, 2013, 08:34:33 AM »
DT just need to combine the songwriting of the last two albums with the production of Octavarium or SFAM and they'll have another potential classic.

They're hardly St. Anger and Death Magnetic - but I hope that they can produce another sonically great album at some point.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #838 on: December 20, 2013, 09:18:25 AM »

Oh wow, I thought it was "know the joy in life", as well.  Well shoot.

In any case, the only vocal part of IT that bothers me is the "rebels for their freedom" part.  Although, I wouldn't say it's because of vocal effects and more about how JLB sounds trying to reach the notes; they just don't seem well-suited to him.  That could just be my untrained ears, though; maybe it is lousy vocal effects.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: December 20, 2013, 09:39:03 AM »
Misheard DT lyrics. :lolpalm: My mistake.

The "rebels for their freedom" part might actually be my favorite.