314 (46.3%)
Decent
98 (14.5%)
Meh
41 (6%)
Disappointing
41 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 647

Author Topic: What are your thoughts on DT12?  (Read 154392 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: What are your thoughts on DT12?
« Reply #245 on: September 21, 2013, 09:49:14 AM »
It's not that you are predictable, it's just that I couldn't see you liking the kind of music the boys offered this time, seeing your current musical interests and tastes. Well, it's no big deal!

But I would like to know one thing: you just dislike it or do you think the album is bad? Because the two things are not always tied.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #246 on: September 21, 2013, 09:56:06 AM »
I don't dislike it by any means, I'm just underwhelmed because I still love ADTOE and I thought they had potential to make another amazing album, knowing the circumstances under which it was made and what the band members and people who had heard the album said. DT12 is a mixed bag for me, but I'll tell more later... I mean, :soon:

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #247 on: September 21, 2013, 10:00:07 AM »
I don't dislike it by any means, I'm just underwhelmed because I still love ADTOE and I thought they had potential to make another amazing album, knowing the circumstances under which it was made and what the band members and people who had heard the album said. DT12 is a mixed bag for me, but I'll tell more later... I mean, :soon:
This. I had expected way more. I mean, when ADTOE came out, I wanted to listen to it over and over again reliving the moment, but I don't have that with DT12. Also, very few actually sticks. I now have a hard time to recall how for example TPB or STR sounds even though I've listened to the album 6 times.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: September 21, 2013, 10:01:34 AM »

Offline Onno

« Reply #249 on: September 21, 2013, 10:04:16 AM »
The Piggy Bitch  :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #250 on: September 21, 2013, 10:21:45 AM »
I voted it an "Instant Classic". It's on the same level as Images, Awake, Scenes, and Degrees for me.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #251 on: September 21, 2013, 10:28:42 AM »
This album is growing on me with every listen. I'm not expecting it to be on the level of SDOIT and Scenes but it's definitely a great album.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #252 on: September 21, 2013, 10:30:41 AM »
I voted it an "Instant Classic". It's on the same level as Images, Awake, Scenes, and Degrees for me.

I would be inclined to agree. Definitely has a IAW/Awake feel, perhaps because it is a shorter album than we are used to (yes, by only 6-9 minutes shorter), but the writing, the instrumental arrangements (more bass parts, melodic and upfront, more major chords and progressions, uplifting vocal melodies, etc.), and shorter songs, especially have a run of albums with much longer songs in general (being 7-10+ long on average, with shorter songs being the rarity).

It's got an "Instant Classic" FEEL to it, but whether or not it holds up over time is still to be seen, but I think it stands high up there. Then again, I've been pretty blown away by every new album since 8VM, which was their first new album after I became a fanatic, so they've done nothing but improve to me. I haven't felt like each new album has done anything horribly wrong. There may have been a song here or there on each album that I thought was "Meh" or "Just Okay" at first, but I've warmed up to them over time. Similarly, there've been songs I went "WOW!" over at first but now just feel are "just good" or "Average DT". This album is no exception. NO album is an exception to that, really, as even with IAW and Awake, when I first discovered DT, there were songs like that - great at first, then not really, and vice versa.

What it all comes down to, for me, is how the album as a WHOLE will last for me, as I listen to albums in one-go, as often and as completely as possible. I think this is a very strong album, one of their strongest as a whole, honestly, and better than ADTOE and BC&SL in that respect, and I ranked those pretty high when they came out.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline majo

« Reply #253 on: September 21, 2013, 11:44:43 AM »
i'll go with "meh" (I'd go probably with "disappointing" but i didn't expect much since SC so... :P)
it has some brilliant moments though - but they last for like 10 sec and then interrupted by meaningless out-of-place transition/wankery (like this cool vocal part in the illumination theory 12:05, 12 string part in surrender, etc)  :facepalm:
part of this "meh" is i really don't like the sound/mix (CD version)
the looking glass is my fav track.
peace out
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 11:50:50 AM by majo »
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #254 on: September 21, 2013, 12:21:45 PM »
Guess my tastes have changed. I honestly can't say there's anything wrong with it.
I just hear the "same old"

oh well.

That's the peculiar predicament I find myself in as well. When I listen to the album, I can totally understand how people can be excited about it. And while I could drag out some things like the drum sound (which I really don't like) or the hotness of the mastering, none of them are even remotely bad enough to explain why I don't "feel" the album.
Just like you, I hear nothing terribly wrong with the album, but it all feels I've heard it numerous times before. Either from them, or some other band.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: September 21, 2013, 02:02:43 PM »
I listened to the album again and wrote down some thoughts on each song. I need some time to gather enough courage to post them, because I have a feeling my opinion on IT will make me the most hated person on this board.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #256 on: September 21, 2013, 02:10:14 PM »
I listened to the album again and wrote down some thoughts on each song. I need some time to gather enough courage to post them, because I have a feeling my opinion on IT will make me the most hated person on this board.
Look, we may heavily disagree, but there's no reason to feel afraid of having your own opinion :) Because at the end of the day, if I enjoy the album and you don't, it doesn't matter and we can just continue on.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #257 on: September 21, 2013, 02:14:03 PM »
I know everyone is entitled to their opinion.  But this album is so amazing.  It contains all the elements of DT that I have come to love over the years.  Catchy but technical, metal but with feeling, amazing performances on what I consider new and fresh ideas. And I happen to love JLB and I think he really shines on this record.

DT at their best touches me somewhere deep, unlike few other bands.  I love lots of different styles and groups, but DT and just a handful of others have the abiltiy to not only provide enjoyment but to truly add, in a meaningful way, to my life.

In my opinion, if you don't absolutely love DT12, we obviously listen to DT for different reasons.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:35:07 PM by AngelBack »
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #258 on: September 21, 2013, 02:29:41 PM »

I think it is overrated (along Breaking all Illusions).
For me, BITS is the best in ADTOE and Looking Glass, Surrender to Reason or even the Bigger Picture in DT12 (because they are the most cohesive songs).
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #259 on: September 21, 2013, 02:31:14 PM »
Just like you, I hear nothing terribly wrong with the album, but it all feels I've heard it numerous times before. Either from them, or some other band.

Yeah, me too.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: September 21, 2013, 02:46:10 PM »
Early thoughts on the album:
Great moments here and there, great moments that rarely connect to one another and are always brief.
99% of JR solos are very predictable, as soon as he starts a solo it goes exactly as you expect it go musically.
I don't get how Along For The Ride has single or Grammy's potential as I've heard people suggest, so far I think it's the weakest song on the album. I don't even see the radio appeal.
The album is good but not better than ADToE.
Too early for any of this to be decisive though, I still look forward to numerous listens over the next couple of month.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #261 on: September 21, 2013, 02:51:43 PM »
After 5-6 listens, I must say I'm disappointed. I quite like FAS and TEI, but I don't like TLG, which is pretty much a Rush song. Enigma Machine is a great instrumental. TPB is decent but it can't really grab my attention. BTV is really pretty good and has some nice riffs. STR starts out really cool but I don't like the chorus. AFTR is a decent ballad, I like Jordan's solo and the buildup. IT is... good, but for some reason I don't find it nearly as interesting as pretty much any other DT epic.

These thoughts might change though, I need some more listens to see if the album might grow on me.

Sounds like you quite like it to me???

Offline Onno

« Reply #262 on: September 21, 2013, 02:54:07 PM »
No, I don't really like it. As it is now:

Songs I like
FAS
TEI
EM
BTV
AFTR
IT

Songs I don't really like
TLG
TPB
STR

The songs I like would still be in my bottom 30-40 DT songs probably, so that's pretty bad.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #263 on: September 21, 2013, 03:13:38 PM »
In my opinion this is DT in their finest hour...an epic masterpiece that will be practically impossible to beat. In fact, this album moves me emotionally like no other music has ever done. That is no small accomplishment. It makes me feel bad for those who aren't enjoying it.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #264 on: September 21, 2013, 03:15:26 PM »
In my opinion this is DT in their finest hour...an epic masterpiece that will be practically impossible to beat. In fact, this album moves me emotionally like no other music has ever done. That is no small accomplishment. It makes me feel bad for those who aren't enjoying it.

That's awesome to hear! I mean, when such joy is transmitted by a piece of music we cannot but be happy and congratulate the artists for being able to achieve this with at least one fan, regardless of what is our opinion about the work.  :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Delirious Nomad

« Reply #265 on: September 21, 2013, 08:41:40 PM »
I'm so happy for the band, they found a way back to compact songwriting after the long-winded previous efforts.
I can't believe how much of a fan boy slept in me and "Dream Theater" already became more than another DT album, it's a companion and the only DT album I will need in a long time.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #266 on: September 21, 2013, 08:45:41 PM »
I'm glad I'm not a bigger Rush fan than I am.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #267 on: September 21, 2013, 09:26:20 PM »
Why is that?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #268 on: September 21, 2013, 09:29:12 PM »
Because plenty of people are using Rush similarities as reasons not to like certain songs.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #269 on: September 21, 2013, 09:54:26 PM »
Because plenty of people are using Rush similarities as reasons not to like certain songs.

And here I am using Rush as a basis for LOVING certain songs!!! Same with Yes, ELP and Genesis in some parts or songs... it's like DT rediscovered their 70's prog roots on this album! And since Rush is my favorite band EVER, hearing Rush similarities in new Dream Theater makes me very happy!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #270 on: September 21, 2013, 09:55:54 PM »
I've changed my vote from "decent" to "very strong".  I would actually place it somewhere between the two, but closer to "very strong".  I still don't like the way some of it sounds, but that's down to the production and mastering and not the songs or musicianship.  The drum sound is somewhat bad at times imo, but it's nowhere near as bad or unlistenable as Lars' clangy pots-and-pans set from St. Anger so I can live with it.  Overall I would give probably rank it at an 8.5 out of 10 right now.

Offline mooshinator

« Reply #271 on: September 21, 2013, 10:05:08 PM »
I voted "Decent" but that was after 2-3 listens.  Now I'm up to a dozen+ and I would vote "Very strong".  I would never vote for "Instant classic" because (a) it's an oxymoron, and (b) classics MUST stand the test of time, which obviously is impossible this early.

I read a lot of the criticism of the album in this thread, and honestly, it's all pretty fair.  One commenter mentioned that it's all pretty good but there was a feeling of "heard it before" (either by DT or someone else).  Yes, that's probably true.  But I don't really care.

I was a Pink Floyd fan before becoming a DT fan, and the first Pink Floyd album I ever heard was The Division Bell - PF's last album.  I LOVED it.  LOVED LOVED LOVED it.  Now, having heard PF's entire catalogue, I see that The Division Bell was not really anything special; it was just a very polished, very well done, very safe culmination of everything that PF had pioneered in the past.  But hearing it as my first album was FLIPPING AMAZING.

That's kind of how I feel about modern DT (ADToE and DT12).  I, almost unfortunately, know all of DT that came before DT12, so I have the potential to be a very harsh critic.  It's a very polished, very well done, and very safe culmination of everything that DT has pioneered in the past.  But I'm cool with that.  It's maybe almost too polished, too perfect; maybe lacking the rawness that truly genius albums like Images and Words have.  But I can logically think that and still love listening to DT12.  It's really just a great album.  Probably not "classic", but if I were stuck on a desert island with just DT12 I'd be pretty happy (with the choice of music, not being stuck on a desert island).

And if a 15 year old kid picks up this album and has never heard DT before, they might be blown away just like I was by The Division Bell.  This is great music and I'm going to love it; how it compares to the past just doesn't matter to me right now.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #272 on: September 21, 2013, 10:46:38 PM »
I voted for Instant Classic. At this point the album is in my Top 4 and, if it gets to grow the way I expect it to, it will be my favorite album by the band, and I might get to consider it their best as well (I think their best is Awake, but my favorite is I&W).

There is a true sense of teamwork. The songs are compact, but very solid: they pack up everything they need to without throwing into the blend things that would sound misplaced. They deliver what they are supposed to, mainly because of that "teamwork" I mentioned: there's a sense of collaboration to reach a desired goal, where none of the members try to take the spotlight when they are not supposed to, it allows for everyone to shine through when desired. All of them kept the sound pretty fresh, at least for my taste: a symphonic, heavy and progressive intro; a very groovy and interesting heavy song; a classic prog rock piece with beautiful moments (one of my favorite songs off the album); an instrumental that blended classic elements (from, say, The Ytse Jam or Erotomania) with later ones dissing the unenjoyable parts from them (of course, the whole SC and BC&SL); a piece to make LaBrie shine through with beautiful parts as well as banging, to-your-face moments; another aggressive, yet momentarily beautiful song with an incredible instrumental section; a song that managed to capture a very prog essence by jumping through the different sides of the band in a short time-span without losing cohesiveness (another one of my favorites, and I consider it an admirable piece); a more easy to listen piece with a great keyboard solo and, of course, the epic tune which still gives me goosebumps, mixing incredible riffs with very technical moments from every member of the band while containing anthemic parts (which flow properly in my opinion, which seems to go against what a lot of people think  :lol) and ending on one of the most beautiful, tear jerking moments of the band.

I still need to go through the songs a lot more, but I'm sure I won't like the album any less.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #273 on: September 22, 2013, 02:03:50 AM »
Changed my vote from Very Strong to Decent.
It's a good album no doubt, but i feel like something is missing.

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #274 on: September 22, 2013, 03:01:59 AM »
Have been listening to it almost every waking hour since yesterday and it is an amazing record :hefdaddy I can't find one single weak track on it :heart
I defiantly wouldn't mind if they decided to play the entire album preferably in the first set cause that would leave room for octavarium in the second set or encore.

January 15th in Porto can't come soon enough  :metal :metal   
I voted very strong

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: September 22, 2013, 03:28:03 AM »
Picked up DT12 and I'ved arrived home and am about to listen to it for the first time!!!!  :yarr
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: September 22, 2013, 03:44:07 AM »
Wow, FAS is really something unique and original for the band.  Reminds me a bit of Symphony X, great start.

Still loving TEI.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #277 on: September 22, 2013, 03:48:23 AM »
Picked up DT12 and I'ved arrived home and am about to listen to it for the first time!!!!  :yarr
:metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: September 22, 2013, 03:55:10 AM »
So far, I'm not a huge fan of the production, but it sounds a lot tougher and ballsy than ADTOE, and it will sound great in the car I think.  The Looking Glass is incredible.  I've listened to that one before and it's a great track, and I love the obvious Rush influence.  James is sounding really good so far, loving his tone and the songs are really hitting his sweet spot.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: September 22, 2013, 04:14:54 AM »
Enigma Machine is astounding, love it.

The Bigger Picture instantly brings Images and Words to mind.  The song so far that will need time to grow, it's hard to digest at once.

Behind the Veil, holy shit!!!  What a fucking chorus, and JP's solo is instantly one of the best he has ever done, tremendous.