314 (46.3%)
Decent
98 (14.5%)
Meh
41 (6%)
Disappointing
41 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 647

Author Topic: What are your thoughts on DT12?  (Read 154407 times)

Offline Jay.Ess

Re: What are your thoughts on DT12?
« Reply #175 on: September 18, 2013, 05:50:23 PM »
On the topic of the lyrics, I think they are improved. Not amazing by any stretch, but there seem to be far less cringe-worthy moments.

I also interpret them thematically as having or finding faith in the human spirit and humanity, rather than any overbearing religious tones.

Offline krieger

« Reply #176 on: September 18, 2013, 07:34:33 PM »
After a dozen+ listenings, I have changed my vote from "decent" to "very strong".  :metal

MM is a monster with the hi-hat.

Myung is a monster period, and in DT12 you can clearly understand why.

"Along for the Ride" and "The Looking Glass" are so f&@#ing amazing that I would buy the album and rate it as "very strong" even if it has just those two songs.

"False AS", "The Enemy I." and "Enigma M.": very, very good songs.

"The Bigger P." and "Behind the Veil" are good songs, but haven't clicked yet for me. Great vocals on them, 'tough.

"Surrender to R." is a great Myung-style song.

"Illumination T," is a big, fat mess, but an amazing, incredible, impressive big, fat mess.
"Likely or not, it's a dream that we keep
and at odds with our senses we'll climb
But if faith is the answer, we've already reached it
And if spirit's a sign then it's only a matter of time."

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #177 on: September 18, 2013, 07:37:06 PM »
Every song is amazing. That is why Dream Theater is in my opinion their best album, even on top of the once unbeatable Octavarium.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline dongringo

« Reply #178 on: September 18, 2013, 08:01:13 PM »
Every song is amazing. That is why Dream Theater is in my opinion their best album, even on top of the once unbeatable Octavarium.

I agree completely. This is their best work.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #179 on: September 18, 2013, 08:15:46 PM »
"Illumination T," is a big, fat mess, but an amazing, incredible, impressive big, fat mess.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #180 on: September 18, 2013, 08:39:58 PM »
I also want to note that I feel all the solos are so much less interesting. Nothing new or creative to my ears. I don't remember a single JP solo, and all I remember from JR is the AFtR solo, which isn't anything particularly new.

I actually feel quite the opposite. I think there are some amazing solos, and some really fresh sounds, but it still sounds distinctly 'Dream Theater'. At the end of the day, when a band has been around for 27 odd years, had 12 studio albums, a bunch of live CD's and DVD's and many of us have seen them in a live setting, it's gonna be hard to strive for something completely differrent. One, because by now there is a signature sound, and two - people want to still hear that signature sound. I think this album covers those aspects, and integrates them into the new, and fresh material..

Offline marlencrabapple

« Reply #181 on: September 18, 2013, 10:13:23 PM »
The first two songs were great. I'd review the rest but I went deaf trying to listen to this with headphones. Californication and Death Magnetic move over, Dream Theater's Dream Theater is officially the worst master ever put on CD.

Seriously though, the longer I play this more I realize I'm not exaggerating at all. This is hands down the most brick walled album I've ever listened to.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #182 on: September 18, 2013, 10:44:40 PM »
Ive done about 10 listens now... wow has this album grown on me.   It is so cool how parts that made no sense to me are now starting to click and just sounds so awesome.

This is FINALLY way more of a "Rock" album and not as much metal and that is exactly what Ive been waiting for since six degrees. 

James actually sounds amazing on this album and somehow I didnt like his voice here at first. 

Dream Theater is special because their albums uncover different mysteries upon each listen and thats been missing for about 12 years from them since they turned to a more metal approach.

I finally voted "Very Strong".   This album actually may eclipse one of the 90's albums which I never thought would be possible ever again.

Keep it going guys!   I love the direction they are going here.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #183 on: September 18, 2013, 11:32:16 PM »
I am still trying to wrap my head around all of it, but this is a damn good album.  Damn good.

While I agree that the mastering is loud, it doesn't sound overly so.  I think it is just right, given the style.

This might be their least wanky album since Octavarium or even Falling into Infinity.

Lucidity mentioned there not being memorable solos, and while I am still trying to remember which solo is which, this album feels way more song-oriented than almost any of their other albums, so that maybe that is why the solos are not standing out as much as normal.

I have no clue what people are talking about in regards to Mangini's snare or whatever; his drums sounds great to me.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #184 on: September 18, 2013, 11:45:44 PM »
Seriously though, the longer I play this more I realize I'm not exaggerating at all. This is hands down the most brick walled album I've ever listened to.

This to me is the real shame. The loudness war is actually kinda over, many bands have learned and started again to have their albums breathe. It's a shame DT of all bands continues to release brickwalled albums, especially when ADTOE looked like an improvement.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #185 on: September 18, 2013, 11:55:01 PM »
I'm late to the party, I know.  Howevaaaaah - I really dug DT12.  REEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAALLY dug it.  All of the fellas have their own killer moments, and Genie's drumming on the whole is just insane.  I've also never heard James's vox sound so warm.  Dude is ON.  There's quite a few nods to Rush, but that's okay as them there Rush guys are pretty damn awesome.

I cannot wait until the NA leg next year!!! :panicattack:

/minor fangurl gushing :heart

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: September 18, 2013, 11:56:39 PM »
After 3 listens now, i'm slowly shifting my opinion from strong album to instant classic. The sound of the stream is the only problem i'm finding, still have hope for the CD, the 5.1 mix or maybe i should rip the LP.

While i find IT to be not so cohesive (which is not a problem for me), it has so many amazing parts. I can't get TBP, STR and BTV out of my head. Time will tell, but this album feels so good after 3 listens that i'm tempted to buy the deluxe edition just to put the 5.1 mix as soon as possible through my system (I've ordered the box and don't know when it will be delivered).

And holy shit Mangini! I'm impressed!

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #187 on: September 18, 2013, 11:57:54 PM »
And holy shit Mangini! I'm impressed!

I know, right?! :metal

Offline marlencrabapple

« Reply #188 on: September 19, 2013, 12:02:05 AM »

This to me is the real shame. The loudness war is actually kinda over, many bands have learned and started again to have their albums breathe. It's a shame DT of all bands continues to release brickwalled albums, especially when ADTOE looked like an improvement.
Compared to BC&SL or SC this is a nightmare.

...to remember :3

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: September 19, 2013, 02:38:06 AM »

Death Magnetic will see you now.

Offline KISS 76

« Reply #190 on: September 19, 2013, 02:51:47 AM »
The CD is out in Melbourne, Australia for all those who are interested....

Got mine from JB HI-FI at Highpoint.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #191 on: September 19, 2013, 02:53:04 AM »

I don't know if your stream has gone wrong or something, but this is absolutely nowhere near as bad as Death Magnetic.

Yes, it's mastered quite loud, but it really isn't as much so as a lot of other albums out there. For me, it just creeps within the acceptable range, and so it actually ends up working at giving it a big, in-your-face sound.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #192 on: September 19, 2013, 03:15:11 AM »
What have you done guys... what have you done...

You wrote the record I've been waiting for since I started listening to music. I'm crying my heart out listening to this. Thank you guys, thank you Eren, thank you Richard, thanks to you all.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #193 on: September 19, 2013, 09:15:25 AM »

Maybe he never heard that album? Dream Theater is certainly the most brick walled and uncomfortable sounding record I have in my collection. No shock though, it's the same guy who did the Death Magnetic master. That guy clearly does not belong in a studio, he just seems to be destroying records completely.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #194 on: September 19, 2013, 09:18:54 AM »
The soundcloud stream sounded like it has some leveling control on it, but I dismissed it as just being a soundcloud thing.   I'm reserving judgement til I hear the CD.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline adastra

« Reply #195 on: September 19, 2013, 11:05:20 AM »
I must have listened the album 10 times now! Good and solid album! song selection is pretty versatile! LUV IT!
If I'd have to mention couple of things I don't like , I would say;

1) Surrender To Reason  Intro riff doesn't fit the song at all. And I don't like it  :laugh:
2) I don't like these lyrics on choruses that end with the song title in them!  And there are a lot of them!  Nothing wrong with the lyrics but I think it's kinda blaah to end so many choruses with the song title :p

p.s.  The Looking Glass sounds like WDADU! 
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #196 on: September 19, 2013, 11:23:29 AM »
Finest album since Train of Thought.

Finest since Six Degrees for me.

I need a few more listens to rank it, but I'm thinking it's going to definitely end up in my top 5, maybe even top 3

Offline marlencrabapple

« Reply #197 on: September 19, 2013, 11:36:53 AM »

[...] it's the same guy who did the Death Magnetic master. [..]
I guess I was spot on with the comparison then.

By the way, in case anyone's wondering, I'm listening to the CD in all its lossless glory. This isn't a stream problem.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #198 on: September 19, 2013, 12:21:29 PM »
It certainly isn't. I actually turned the volume down while I was listening through the CD, which is the opposite of what I'd usually do. The 5.1 seems to have a lot more room though, so I guess that's a good alternative for those of us who have fragile ears and what not. I just have to find a way to rip that and it's gonna be awesome.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 12:30:01 PM by Dellers »
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #199 on: September 19, 2013, 03:36:40 PM »

Maybe he never heard that album? Dream Theater is certainly the most brick walled and uncomfortable sounding record I have in my collection. No shock though, it's the same guy who did the Death Magnetic master. That guy clearly does not belong in a studio, he just seems to be destroying records completely.
Ted Jensen? Is that actually the case? I thought Rich Chycki did the mastering as well as the mixing?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Systematik88

« Reply #200 on: September 19, 2013, 03:41:42 PM »
After first full listen this morning: I felt it was very diverse.  Its definitely different just like everyone has been saying.  Some of the songs have parts that come out of left field and took me by surprise which was a good and bad thing.  I really need to get more listens in but now I'm waiting until Tuesday to get the album.

Things I really remember: Along for the Ride and Illumination Theory. My gosh IT came out of the ball running and it rocked. That had DT stamped all over it and I think I was waiting for something like that the entire album.  That Easter Egg is so incredible..that could've gone on an extra 2 or 3 minutes by my liking!

Definitely need more listens but the original thoughts were that it was great.  I remember when I first listened to ADTOE I felt the songs all jumbled together and the song structures were very similar.  This wasnt the case for DT12.  The songs were diverse and will take a lot of listens to master so I can belt it out at concerts!

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #201 on: September 19, 2013, 03:42:26 PM »
Ted Jensen? Is that actually the case? I thought Rich Chycki did the mastering as well as the mixing?
Nope, Ted Jensen did the mastering. Quote from the CD booklet:
Mastered by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound, New York, NY

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #202 on: September 19, 2013, 04:16:51 PM »
EDIT: nvm
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 04:22:09 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline convrge

« Reply #203 on: September 19, 2013, 04:58:54 PM »

I don't know if your stream has gone wrong or something, but this is absolutely nowhere near as bad as Death Magnetic.

Yes, it's mastered quite loud, but it really isn't as much so as a lot of other albums out there. For me, it just creeps within the acceptable range, and so it actually ends up working at giving it a big, in-your-face sound.

Death Magnetic: DR3
Dream Theater: DR6

"Dream Theater" is brick-walled but it's nowhere near "Death Magnetic". Here's hoping for a dynamic HD Tracks release.

Offline convrge

« Reply #204 on: September 19, 2013, 05:01:46 PM »

In Ted Jensen's defense regarding Death Magnetic, the mixes were already brick-walled before he got them. He has officially disowned his part in mastering that atrocity.

https://www.undercover.fm/news/6357-metallica-recording-engineer-ted-jensen-craps-on-death-magnetic

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #205 on: September 19, 2013, 05:19:58 PM »
After 1.5 listens (I fell asleep halfway through my first listen), it's a pretty resounding 'meh'. That said, it definitely needs some more listens. I really disliked Looking Glass the first time (I kept hearing Limelight), but enjoyed it much more on the second listen.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #206 on: September 19, 2013, 06:44:54 PM »
Definitely a strong album so far. The Bigger Picture, Behind the Veil, Surrender to Reason and Illumination Theory are my definite favorite tracks. I also love False Awakening but I'll consider it an 'opener'.

Can't say 'Instant Classic'. I've only listened to it a few times!

I have listened in the car (an ok sound system) and through my Sennheiser HD518's. MY goodness, the mix is really, really good through the headphones! My favorite thing? The tight rythym section between JM and MM. Some superlative playing. And I love how JM is super high in the mix. I also love the moments of space on the album, when everything strips away to just piano or effects. I know they're a few and far between but it really is amazing.

I certainly did not expect this at all. It was great to be surprised and the album is very, very strong imo. While I hate comparisons, I'll do one anyway   ;D

Better then SC and BCSL easily. While I love Octavarium (for the title track), this is stronger all round. It just edges past ADTOE at this stage. Better then ToT.

But not quite better then 6DOIT, SFAM or I&W.

I guess I'd probably rate it around what I think of Awake. Just behind the Holy Trinity of albums.

Great album. Fantastic even.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #207 on: September 19, 2013, 06:54:16 PM »

Does anyone on this board even know what "instant" means?

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #208 on: September 19, 2013, 06:56:10 PM »

Does anyone on this board even know what "instant" means?

I chose instant classic, because it is. THEY WERE RIGHT to call it Dream Theater.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Edson Wilton

• You can call me faithless.
« Reply #209 on: September 19, 2013, 07:03:06 PM »
Very, very strong!