314 (46.3%)
Decent
98 (14.5%)
Meh
41 (6%)
Disappointing
41 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 647

Author Topic: What are your thoughts on DT12?  (Read 154305 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: What are your thoughts on DT12?
« Reply #1365 on: July 15, 2015, 10:54:15 AM »
If it weren't so loud I would like it a lot more
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1366 on: July 15, 2015, 11:04:51 AM »
I've never noticed any loudness, and frankly, I couldn't really care less. Being too loud is the absolute least of this album's problems.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1367 on: July 15, 2015, 11:09:53 AM »
I voted decent as well. Changing my vote to meh. It just has almost no relisten value.

I initially voted disappointing and it still is.  The only way I would change my vote is if there was another category added to the poll that is worse than disappointing.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1368 on: July 15, 2015, 11:15:21 AM »
Given the recent comments, it would be interesting to re-run the exact same poll again and see how the results compare.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1369 on: July 15, 2015, 11:17:24 AM »
I might be tempted to bump it from "very strong" to "instant classic," although it took me awhile to get there.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline zecawolf

« Reply #1370 on: July 15, 2015, 11:22:07 AM »
I voted "decent", but I think it really is somewhere between that and "very strong"

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1371 on: July 15, 2015, 11:23:05 AM »
Given the recent comments, it would be interesting to re-run the exact same poll again and see how the results compare.

Yeah I thought of that too.  Although now in-between albums we wouldn't get as many votes. But maybe that's a good thing, since mostly resident and more constantly active members would do the voting.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1372 on: July 15, 2015, 11:24:47 AM »

Yeah I thought of that too.  Although now in-between albums we wouldn't get as many votes. But maybe that's a good thing, since mostly resident and more constantly active members would do the voting.

True. Either way, we should have enough regulars to get the numbers.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: July 15, 2015, 11:34:54 AM »
If you have a new poll make sure to add a category for "instant classic that took a while"  for bosk1  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1374 on: July 15, 2015, 11:41:17 AM »
If you have a new poll make sure to add a category for "instant classic that took a while"  for bosk1  ;D

:lol Or we could just change the option to "classic" at this point.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1375 on: July 15, 2015, 12:06:21 PM »
:lol  "Instant classic" is kind of a silly category anyway.  But I think it is better than "very strong," so...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1376 on: July 21, 2015, 04:31:39 AM »
Along For the Ride just came up on shuffle, but I noticed something before skipping. Maybe this has been said before, I don't know, but the sound of water in the begenning is a loop of a sample about 1 second long. Once I noticed that, I'm just astonished that production can be so lazy for a band as "big" as DT. How the hell did that get through? Is it supposed to sound lazy and like a demo by a buch of kids? I genuinely don't understand..

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1377 on: July 21, 2015, 04:41:16 AM »
Yes that has been pointed out before on this board.

I'm surprised too as a lot of really cheapy keyboards even have a sample that lasts ages and doesn't sound like a loop.

For someone like Rudess - if he didn't intend it to sound like a 1 second loop - then it's shockingly poor.

Considering something like a Korg Oasys costs upwards of £1,500 and they could have gone to a river and literally recorded some water trickling for 30 seconds.

Offline The Hairy Man

« Reply #1378 on: August 27, 2015, 05:52:17 AM »
Every once in awhile, I pull it out, and I'm always impressed with how good it is, and how well it's aged.

Not been on for a while so catching up but this nearly made me spit my lunch out! Good work, sir!  :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1379 on: August 27, 2015, 03:06:22 PM »
If I pulled it out while listening to DT12, it would be pointing south.   :lol :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1380 on: August 27, 2015, 07:51:02 PM »
I'd still say Very Strong for my vote. It just seems like a strong effort from them. Not in the same tier as Six Degrees, SFAM, etc., but still very good and a fun listen.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1381 on: August 28, 2015, 10:28:05 AM »
If I pulled it out while listening to DT12, it would be pointing south.   :lol :p

WILLY

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1382 on: August 28, 2015, 11:04:02 AM »
Along For the Ride just came up on shuffle, but I noticed something before skipping. Maybe this has been said before, I don't know, but the sound of water in the begenning is a loop of a sample about 1 second long. Once I noticed that, I'm just astonished that production can be so lazy for a band as "big" as DT. How the hell did that get through? Is it supposed to sound lazy and like a demo by a buch of kids? I genuinely don't understand..
Dammit, now I hear it too!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1383 on: August 28, 2015, 03:13:25 PM »

WILLY

:neverusethis:                        :neverusethis:

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1384 on: September 17, 2015, 09:27:30 AM »
I just realized IT starts out similar to Overture. I had pandora on shuffle then the intro started I thought it was IT then the orchestra started.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1385 on: September 17, 2015, 09:28:10 AM »
I just realized IT starts out similar to Overture. I had pandora on shuffle then the intro started I thought it was IT then the orchestra started.

Starts AND ends similarly (to SDOIT overall, not just Overture). It's bugged me since the first listen. :lol
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 09:42:26 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1386 on: September 17, 2015, 12:11:44 PM »

Starts AND ends similarly (to SDOIT overall, not just Overture). It's bugged me since the first listen. :lol
Same here, and the solo at the end is basically Razor's Edge 2.0.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1387 on: September 17, 2015, 06:12:45 PM »

That's true. I got all excited about IT being played on Pandora, then I got surprised it was Overture and the transition was funny from the outro.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #1388 on: September 17, 2015, 07:39:00 PM »
I voted 'very strong," but my honest opinion is about half-way between "decent" and very strong. I like most of the tracks, but Illumination Theory could have been better, and in my opinion is mostly over-rated.

Also don't like The Bigger Picture.

The rest of it is still better than what most other bands are doing these days. I would rather listen to all of those other songs than pretty much anything on the radio, or about 99% of all the "music" that has come out in the last couple of years that we are required to accept as being "popular!"
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1389 on: September 17, 2015, 07:42:16 PM »
Enigma Machine is a fine instrumental, but as of this time I never want to hear it again. Other than that, this album is still really good, but I don't listen to it a whole lot. It's still better than SC, BCSL and ADTOE though.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #1390 on: September 17, 2015, 09:16:41 PM »
Instant classic. There's not one bad track on the album. STR and IT are easily in my top 5 favorite DT songs. I'm not a fan of the mix or the snare sound, but the music itself is awesome. ADTOE and this album really don't have one bad track between them.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1391 on: September 18, 2015, 06:30:08 AM »

The rest of it is still better than what most other bands are doing these days. I would rather listen to all of those other songs than pretty much anything on the radio, or about 99% of all the "music" that has come out in the last couple of years that we are required to accept as being "popular!"

I'm not sure we're "required" to accept anything.  It's popular because it IS popular, and there is a surprising level of talent and performance in some of today's pop music that is heartbreakingly overlooked.    I've taken to watching Live From Daryl's House and Later...with Jools Holland regardless of who is on (as opposed to just watching people "I like"), and they both have some surprises.  People that I would ordinarily dismiss but who really have the goods, just don't always make music I want to listen to.  But that's on me, not them.

As for DT12, good not great.   I LOVE The Looking Glass, The Bigger Picture, and Along For The Ride, but I also find it isn't an album I go back to very much (and honestly, if it wasn't for the 5.1 mix, it would be even less).   For me, the more DT sounds like Rush with Steve Perry singing on top (i.e. melodic vocals) the better, and this is a big improvement, but it's no Images and Words or Octavarium.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1392 on: September 18, 2015, 06:48:38 AM »

I'm not sure we're "required" to accept anything.  It's popular because it IS popular, and there is a surprising level of talent and performance in some of today's pop music that is heartbreakingly overlooked.    I've taken to watching Live From Daryl's House and Later...with Jools Holland regardless of who is on (as opposed to just watching people "I like"), and they both have some surprises.  People that I would ordinarily dismiss but who really have the goods, just don't always make music I want to listen to.  But that's on me, not them.
I love Live From Daryl's House.  That's always fun.

I catch Jools Holland sometimes.  It's normally interesting as well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1393 on: September 22, 2015, 01:23:44 PM »
Other than that, this album is still really good, but I don't listen to it a whole lot. It's still better than ADTOE though.

Hell Naw.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #1394 on: September 22, 2015, 02:50:04 PM »

REALLY? OMG!
A 1 second loop in 10 seconds is really something to nag about.

I actually think it's intentional, because at the end of that loop there's a kind of ticking sound, or a frog sound repeating itself like the ticking of time.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1395 on: September 22, 2015, 02:56:18 PM »
It has to be intentional. There's no way a band as big as Dream Theater would use a sound so basic especially when Rudess has access to millions of samples / sounds.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #1396 on: September 22, 2015, 03:03:19 PM »
It has to be intentional. You can get longer samples, perfectly legally, for free not to mention they probably already have access to pro sound libraries anyways.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #1397 on: September 22, 2015, 03:47:29 PM »
As time has gone on, DT12 has dropped a notch for me to in between "Decent" and "very strong". The album isn't holding up as well as I had imagined. I still rate ADTOE as a MUCH BETTER album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1398 on: September 22, 2015, 04:00:52 PM »
I still rate ADTOE as a MUCH BETTER album.

Hell Yaw !

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1399 on: September 22, 2015, 10:46:19 PM »
REALLY? OMG!
A 1 second loop in 10 seconds is really something to nag about.

Yes, because it sounds amateurish. Like some 12 year old just learning how to use FL-studios. It sure as hell does not sound like a professional production. I think that's a legit nag-point.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 12:35:13 AM by BlackInk »