314 (46.3%)
Decent
98 (14.5%)
Meh
41 (6%)
Disappointing
41 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 647

Author Topic: What are your thoughts on DT12?  (Read 154296 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: What are your thoughts on DT12?
« Reply #1225 on: June 23, 2014, 12:14:20 PM »
I don't understand why Rudess insists on making his keyboard playing sound like a guitar!

Sherinian's playing was much more like guitar than Rudess and really liked that about DS's playing.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1226 on: June 23, 2014, 12:53:43 PM »
My criticism with JR's lead sounds would be that they are too rich for what he's playing. He likes running up and down the keyboard in his solos, but when the sound is so rich in reverb and other effects, it all just runs together. Hate on KM's simplistic sound all you want, but I know his solos inside out and could probably whistle them. JR's solos, I would probably have to go "whirrwhiirrrbrrrrrrblupblupblup...." :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1227 on: June 23, 2014, 02:51:32 PM »
Not sure if it was brought up or not, but if JR's lead sounds were beginning to sound like guitars during the TOT-era, then it's likely because the band were looking for that sound. They covered albums by Metallica and Iron Maiden, which both have double guitars, so it's no wonder why they were looking for that sound.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1228 on: June 23, 2014, 05:15:53 PM »
So - how does Illumination Theory work live ?

I always thought that it'd be cool if I.T. ended the first half - the ambient / orchestra section played on the PA then the band came back in at the right moment live for

the second half.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1229 on: June 23, 2014, 06:47:23 PM »
So - how does Illumination Theory work live ?

I always thought that it'd be cool if I.T. ended the first half - the ambient / orchestra section played on the PA then the band came back in at the right moment live for

the second half.

That's exactly what happens. With a nifty video of course.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1230 on: June 24, 2014, 06:52:01 AM »
They obviously read my post back in September suggesting it :cool:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1231 on: June 24, 2014, 10:01:46 AM »
Yep, when I met them at the meet and greet, I asked where they got the idea from, and they said "some angry European".

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1232 on: June 24, 2014, 10:49:33 AM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #1233 on: June 24, 2014, 03:12:45 PM »
My criticism with JR's lead sounds would be that they are too rich for what he's playing. He likes running up and down the keyboard in his solos, but when the sound is so rich in reverb and other effects, it all just runs together. Hate on KM's simplistic sound all you want, but I know his solos inside out and could probably whistle them. JR's solos, I would probably have to go "whirrwhiirrrbrrrrrrblupblupblup...." :lol
I would have agreed with that assessment up until the last 2 albums when there have been a few solos that you could whistle along to - AFTR, BTS and the "solo" before JPs solo in BTV spring to mind. Not sure if that last one is classed as a solo tbh though!
I love KM's solos but I have to admit my fav DT key solo is Trial of Tears - amazing.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1234 on: June 25, 2014, 08:01:15 AM »
I've been consumed by IQ's latest The Road Of Bones and wishing/hoping/begging...that the next DT album will have a similar
sonic quality. It's so clear and concise and powerful. Every instrument including the drums sound amazing. I would be so damn
happy if I could heard DT sound like this.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #1235 on: June 25, 2014, 08:19:31 AM »
I really like this album (with the exception of a few songs), but never listen to it. I guess it's not an album to have on repeat.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1236 on: June 25, 2014, 10:31:21 AM »
Look at the last album cover here: https://www.metalinjection.net/around-the-interwebs/what-if-metal-album-art-was-more-honest

I know just a few songs have blatant Rush influences, but it made me grin nevertheless :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1237 on: June 25, 2014, 10:41:18 AM »
Look at the last album cover here: https://www.metalinjection.net/around-the-interwebs/what-if-metal-album-art-was-more-honest

I know just a few songs have blatant Rush influences, but it made me grin nevertheless :lol

Hahahaha wow. That's impressive.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1238 on: June 25, 2014, 11:09:25 AM »

"The Black Album"

And though the DT12 one isn't the most accurate, I got a good laugh out of it too. :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1239 on: June 25, 2014, 12:36:08 PM »
Given how it was distinctly the first thing that stood out to me when I heard DT12, I think it's actually pretty accurate :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1240 on: June 25, 2014, 12:49:17 PM »
I know just a few songs have blatant Rush influences
Indeed, but those are as blatant as you can get and probably make DT12 the most Rush influenced of all their albums (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj3VphK9AMk). The Looking Glass is like a DT version of Limelight, the beginning of Surrender to Reason has the Tom Sawyer synth and The Pursuit of Truth immediately brings Cygnus X-1 to mind.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1241 on: June 25, 2014, 12:55:33 PM »
I know just a few songs have blatant Rush influences
Indeed, but those are as blatant as you can get and probably make DT12 the most Rush influenced of all their albums (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj3VphK9AMk). The Looking Glass is like a DT version of Limelight, the beginning of Surrender to Reason has the Tom Sawyer synth and The Pursuit of Truth immediately brings Cygnus X-1 to mind.
Yeah, those are the similarities I've noticed as well, and I agree that DT12 has a stronger Rush influence than any other DT album.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1242 on: June 25, 2014, 01:11:10 PM »
I don't really have a big problem with the Rush influence.  At least it sounds like the era of Rush where they were actually making music I like.

The thing about DT12 that I noticed after about two weeks is it doesn't seem to have a lot of replay value after about 10 or 12 spins.    I thought ADTOE was quite a bit stronger in this regard.  I really wish ADTOE had the same sonic qualities that DT12 has.  Not that DT12's mix is all that great (I's decent, I guess), but ADTOE is probably the worst-produced album since the debut, which is a damned shame because musically it's the strongest thing they've released since the late 90's

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1243 on: June 25, 2014, 01:13:07 PM »
Check out the HD tracks for the last two albums, Barry.  Both are definite upgrades (especially since I agree, regarding ADTOE).

Offline Xenon

« Reply #1244 on: June 25, 2014, 03:20:02 PM »
I have no problem with a little influence in a band, but one thing is a rush influenced song, and other is a similar riff, with a similar structure and, on top of that, lyrics with a similar theme to the original rush song.

Offline George Eliot

« Reply #1245 on: June 25, 2014, 03:55:28 PM »
When I first heard TEI, I admit, I was a little disapointed.  Not that is was a bad song, it just didn't excite me as much as OTBOA did.  However, when I listened DT12 as a whole, I was blown away.  It remained that way for a few weeks and then started to wane a little, so I gave it a few weeks break and listened to other stuff.  Then I came back to it again and enjoyed it again, but in a different way.  By this time TEI started to really grow on me and now it is among my favorite on the album.  I have found though that a similar process has happened to every DT album I bought.  Honestly, I love all of them but for different reasons. :metal
"Some of them hated the mathematics that drove them, and some were afraid, and some worshiped the mathematics because it provided a refuge from thought and from feeling." -John Steinbeck 'The Grapes of Wrath'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1246 on: June 25, 2014, 04:07:00 PM »
I love The Enemy Inside. It's one of my favorites on the album.

I think it's one of my favorite DT "heavy" songs too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1247 on: June 25, 2014, 05:35:54 PM »

This.............and I love DT12 and am no huge fan of Rush.  :D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #1248 on: June 25, 2014, 07:09:06 PM »
Obviously JR has had a lot of guitar-y leads over the years, but I feel like it's more of a fallback for him on heavier music that isn't his natural state, rather than the default as it is for DS. When JR has a chance, he just as often does the moog solo, or the piano break, or any other random instrument you can think of, or whatever new tech he's exploring. When it sounds "guitary", I think it comes more from his pursuit of expressiveness as a musician than the pursuit of guitaryness, which is the case with DS.

Pretty much this. You see it in in the new seaboard stuff. That thing can sound like a guitar, but I'm fairly sure that was never the intention. It was about finding new ways to express sound as a player. Especially because keyboards generally lack certain expressive qualities found in other instruments (vibrato, bends. In some cases, dynamic control etc.)

Not sure if it was brought up or not, but if JR's lead sounds were beginning to sound like guitars during the TOT-era, then it's likely because the band were looking for that sound. They covered albums by Metallica and Iron Maiden, which both have double guitars, so it's no wonder why they were looking for that sound.

Exactly. ToT was the same era as when they were doing all those covers. JR was deliberately trying to replicate guitars in some cases but I'm not sure if he ever deliberately tried to do that in a Dream Theater song.

I don't understand why Rudess insists on making his keyboard playing sound like a guitar!

Two words: Matt Guillory. Have you heard absolutely any one of his keyboard solos on any one of the Mullmuzzler/JLB albums? There are some songs (Over the edge from Static Impulse is a good example?) where there are even trade offs between the keyboard and guitar during the solo. You can hear the differences by direct comparison but seriously if you didn't already know it was a keyboard player, you'd just think a second guitarist is trading off.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1249 on: June 25, 2014, 07:14:43 PM »

:rollin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1250 on: June 25, 2014, 10:04:16 PM »
This.............and I love DT12 and am no huge fan of Rush.  :D

I'm no fan of Rush at all, and not really of DT12 either. So..... there?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1251 on: June 26, 2014, 09:32:14 AM »
I like Rush but am not particularly fond off DTXII.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1252 on: June 26, 2014, 09:34:02 AM »
I like Rush but am not particularly fond off DTXII.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #1253 on: June 26, 2014, 07:46:01 PM »
I like MM's drum parts, but I wish MP would come back and oversee the sound engineering aspects of the recording process. Not that I think this would practically ever happen but since his departure, the drum tone went from being one of the best things about DT studio tracks to the worst (sound-wise).

Offline George Eliot

« Reply #1254 on: June 26, 2014, 08:09:59 PM »

I agree.  I love it when MM breaks out at the beginning and becomes an animal.  I imagine MM turning into a mad chimp in the recording studio, then going crazy, making chimp screams and yells while jumping up and down, all the while beating the drums to death  :metal.  Then he turns back to normal and just sits down like nothing every happened, while the rest of the guys are hiding behind stacks of gear wondering if it's safe to come out.  Then, after a few moments of silence, Rich speaks into the mic from the engineering box and says "right. Yeah. That was good, we'll take that one."

I also love JR's keyboard entrance.  Those two things just set up the song so well for me.
"Some of them hated the mathematics that drove them, and some were afraid, and some worshiped the mathematics because it provided a refuge from thought and from feeling." -John Steinbeck 'The Grapes of Wrath'

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1255 on: June 27, 2014, 06:45:12 AM »
I agree.  I love it when MM breaks out at the beginning and becomes an animal.  I imagine MM turning into a mad chimp in the recording studio, then going crazy, making chimp screams and yells while jumping up and down, all the while beating the drums to death  :metal
I'm not sure that's the case. After the auditions I also expected that he would act like that, but he's always calm and somewhat restrained live, apart from making a few funny faces here and there. Admittedly, playing to a click takes its toll on him and he can't completely let himself loose.

I also love JR's keyboard entrance.
Me too, although it's much better and way more prominent live compared to the studio version.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1256 on: June 27, 2014, 09:56:05 AM »
I  haven't played the album as a whole for some time, but I still come back to Illumination Theory, Surrender to Reason, The Bigger Picture and Behind the Veil.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1257 on: June 27, 2014, 10:13:11 AM »
Not listened to DT12 in ages. . .  :sadpanda:

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1258 on: June 28, 2014, 04:35:41 PM »
The Bigger Picture is still my favourite.

One of the cool things about it is that it's played on a 7-string but it's not a traditional "metal" song.  Petrucci uses the lower chords to give it a nice deep feel but it's definitely not a song you'd even think to use a 7-string on right from the get-go.

*I also love this song cuz it's one of the few Dream Theater songs I can play in its entirety.  Petrucci always ends up putting in something really complex, even for 10s, that I can't do cleanly and therefore "don't count".  But this one I can handle.  :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: June 29, 2014, 04:30:27 AM »
Yep, when I met them at the meet and greet, I asked where they got the idea from, and they said "some angry European".

Lars Ulrich ?